Post Your Motorcycle

Hey guys. I was hoping someone here could help me out.

I'm looking to buy a motorcycle off a private seller. I understand I'll need to transfer the title to my name, but what other things should I look out for to protect myself from any malfeasant fraud? Should I create a bill of sale? I know I should check to see if the seller has the title in hand with a matching VIN and name on registration.

But when I go into the DMV to register the vehicle in my name, what else would I need besides the title, insurance card, and registration application? Also, if I claim the bike was given to me as a gift, would I still have to pay tax?

I've never purchased a vehicle through private channels before. Any information would be appreciated.

Oh, BTW...this is all in New York State.

Thanks!

Haven't posted in a while. I posted my bobber a while back.

Since then, I picked up a 1984 HD FXRS:

Other stuff:

Last edited:
What's up guys? I'm loving everyones bikes on here. I finally bought a bike after having my license since October. I picked this '07 R6 up off of Craigslist about a month ago. I'm having a blast riding and I'm slowly getting more confidence in the corners.

Gear wise I've only bought a Shoei Qwest helmet and an AlpineStars jacket. I'm looking to add an exhaust in the next month or so. Any other R6 riders?

How much did you pick it up for?

suckafree85 suckafree85 No gloves or boots? I recommend both.

Gloves? I do have a pair of $20 Bilt gloves that I bought for when I took the MSF class. I might get a new pair in the near future. Boots I don't currently have. I've just been using some Supra Vaiders that I wasn't wearing anymore. Do you guys usually use riding boots for everyday riding?

suckafree85 suckafree85 I like the color scheme. You'll like the r6 it has enough power to last you a while, until your ready to upgrade.

Thanks man. I like the black and blue too.. But when I first saw the pics on CL I thought he had plastered stickers all over the thing. They're ingrained into the fairing. Oh well.

Last edited:

I'm looking to buy a motorcycle off a private seller. I understand I'll need to transfer the title to my name, but what other things should I look out for to protect myself from any malfeasant fraud? Should I create a bill of sale? I know I should check to see if the seller has the title in hand with a matching VIN and name on registration.

But when I go into the DMV to register the vehicle in my name, what else would I need besides the title, insurance card, and registration application? Also, if I claim the bike was given to me as a gift, would I still have to pay tax?

I've never purchased a vehicle through private channels before. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Well before I bought the MC I asked for a picture of the title. I then checked the VIN # with the DMV just to make sure there were no outstanding fee's due and also to check if it wasn't salvaged. You can do this online. When everything checked out ok I gave the guy the money and he gave me the title. I scheduled an appointment with the DMV here in California and took the title with me. Filled out some paperwork to transfer it and that was that.
I believe that taxes are exempt if stating it was a gift. This is in California, though.

and I paid 5200

Last edited:
Ever since I lowsided in sneakers a few years back I almost always have on riding specific footwear or some high cut boots at the very least. I'll admit I get lazy every now and then and just ride in sneakers but you'll find me in riding shoes the majority of the time. Fortunately I haven't gone down since but I sure as hell wasn't gonna wait until it happened again before I invested in some riding boots. 

When I lowsided my sneaker slid off and my foot ended up being pinned under my engine. Luckily I was able to walk away and ride my bike home and the only injury I had was a burn on my left heel. I was wearing gloves, leather jacket, and a full face helmet. I don't own any riding jeans but I feel like I should definitely grab a pair.

When I lowsided my sneaker slid off and my foot ended up being pinned under my engine. Luckily I was able to walk away and ride my bike home and the only injury I had was a burn on my left heel. I was wearing gloves, leather jacket, and a full face helmet. I don't own any riding jeans but I feel like I should definitely grab a pair.
Good to hear your alright bro! 

I also need to get a pair of armored riding jeans. Does anyone have a recommendation on a pair that are both stylish (slim fit) and comfortable? Most pairs i find are NT denim status...

^ Ugly Bros. bro. I'll be picking up a pair shortly into the riding season. They look like Balmains with armor lol. Real "biker" denim.

Thanks!

Create a bill of sale. I think Word has a Automobile template that you can just change around. Make sure both of you sign and print names just to be protected. The seller would need to list that he sold it to you as a gift, it is illegal but some people don't care. I sold a bike for $100 :wink:

Gloves? I do have a pair of $20 Bilt gloves that I bought for when I took the MSF class. I might get a new pair in the near future. Boots I don't currently have. I've just been using some Supra Vaiders that I wasn't wearing anymore. Do you guys usually use riding boots for everyday riding?
Thanks man. I like the black and blue too.. But when I first saw the pics on CL I thought he had plastered stickers all over the thing. They're ingrained into the fairing. Oh well.

I was riding in Dunks, but if you're looking for a good riding sneaker checkout Dainese. Not much protection compared to a boot, but still stylish for when you're off the bike. I highly recommend good gloves tho. You can get some really good Alpinestars for $50-60.

:smokin :smokin :smokin @Retrosniipes

Just finished my tank lift and wire tuck. Much cleaner now. Need to get som whitewalls and a saddlebag next. Your bike makes me wanna chop off the rear fender .

Last edited:
So I got my '05 R6 from my homey in January for $1,600. Haven't got to ride it yet, but he has an '07 750 he's letting go for $4,500. Y'all think I should jump on it and sell my bike for $2-3k, or trade him my bike +3k?

Anyone have an familiarity with the Icon HyperSport Prime or Alpinestars Jaws Perforated Leather jackets?

Boiled my choices down to these two and can't decide which one to go with.

I like the back protection and the overall fit of the Icon because I'm a fairly built guy (5'10" 190lbs 42" chest). But I love the protection and design from the Alpinestars Jaws jacket.

Thoughts?

Icon Hypersport Prime - $286.56

Alpinestars Jaws Perforated - $386.51

SIDE NOTE: How much are you guys paying for insurance every month? Geico gave me a quote for $53/month not covering comprehensive or collision. Just liability. New 2015 Honda CBR 300R

Last edited:
I only rock the thin mesh jackets. Gets too hot on the east coast for the "summer" leather jackets.
Why are you getting a 300? Looking for a commuter bike?

So I got my '05 R6 from my homey in January for $1,600. Haven't got to ride it yet, but he has an '07 750 he's letting go for $4,500. Y'all think I should jump on it and sell my bike for $2-3k, or trade him my bike +3k?

Need some pics. I like the R6 more but that's an older body. GSXR has a newer look so I would probably get the GSXR. My bike is an 07 and doesn't look that old.

Last edited:
I have the speed and strength under the radar jacket. I barely use it since nyc weather is just too damn hot. I rode with my tee on and my shirt was soaked by the time I got to work.

And my insurance with progressive is $611 for the year. Full coverage with $1,000 deductible.

For the insurance you should take off the collision portion of your coverage in the winter. I use progressive they allow it so there is no gap in coverage check to see if gieco will allow it.

Ever since I lowsided in sneakers a few years back I almost always have on riding specific footwear or some high cut boots at the very least. I'll admit I get lazy every now and then and just ride in sneakers but you'll find me in riding shoes the majority of the time. Fortunately I haven't gone down since but I sure as hell wasn't gonna wait until it happened again before I invested in some riding boots. 

My biggest fear is to low side while on the highway. Did you get too low or was it something else?

NewWave90 NewWave90

Nah, I was up by Seven Lakes Drive at the end of March and the roads were still pretty rough from winter. They don't start maintenance until April. I was taking a turn and hit a patch of gravel then just went down.

If I remember correctly you're from Jersey too. If you're close enough I definitely suggest riding around that area. Just beautiful.

Finally back on two wheels y'all. It's been like 4 long years.

2008 CBR 600 for $5500. Everything stock. I know it's too late and all but was this a good deal?

Finally back on two wheels y'all. It's been like 4 long years.

2008 CBR 600 for $5500. Everything stock. I know it's too late and all but was this a good deal?

Welcome back. I need to get back on a bike ASAP. Consistently looking around for a steal.

Not a bad deal. What's the mileage?

Back
Top Bottom