POST YOUR WATCHES vol. ?

The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe looks amazing!
Wish it was smaller than a 43mm though.

I don't think Rolex has gold plated watches, never really looked into it but I believe they use real gold.

Retail-wise, Air King is probably the cheapest brand new Rolex in the market today but that is small, about 34mm for ~$5050 msrp.

If you don't need a day/date function, the Explorer would be my suggestion. Retail is about ~$7k now but it is also 39mm, a more accommodating size.
For a thousand more though, you can probably get a brand new Sub so it is up to you.
If you go the DateJust route, go with a DJII but that likely depends on the wrist size.

Discount, for the most part, you can get about 10% off Rolexes, which covers the tax. If you are good at haggling and they are desperate to sell, you might get more but that is difficult w/o a past relationship with the store.
Any model will do? Are you sure? A 39mm Explorer wears a lot differently than a 36mm Datejust. Heck, a 40mm Daytona wears a lot differently than a 40mm GMT.

I suggest taking some time to narrow down your choices and really figure out which model you want. First thing you should do is go to your AD and try them on and see which model really sings to you. It took me the better part of 3 months to decide on my ND Sub-C, and I flip-flopped between every stainless steel model imaginable. Never in a million years did I think I would buy a Submariner, considering it's one of the most faked watches on the planet, but alas after trying on the Daytona, GMT, Submariner, DJII, etc, the Sub is the one that stood out to me.

I also don't see the logic in buying brand new from an AD. Your best bet is to buy from a trusted seller online (there's a bunch of them - just do your research). This way you'll save at least 15 - 20% (even more if you're ok with a lightly used one without your name on the warranty card).

Good luck.
Thanks guys. Repped. Will do some online research and hit up some stores to try have a look how they fit on my wrist.

How do ya'll rate the brands on what to go for? By price? By the looks of it? History behind it? Limited run?

Like how I see it is as follows, I ain't gonna lie I only got number5 on my list but tryna move up.

1. Rolex

2. Audemars

3. Hublot

4. Breitling

5. Omega/Tag Heuer

1. AP
2. Hublot/Rolex - both are overpriced
3. Breitling/Omega - both are overpriced
4. Longines
5. Tag - overpriced

Posted in the dressing better and was directed here.

Anyone want to help me find a watch? I'm too lazy to go to department store or to a watch shop to look around.

I'm currently in the market for a a new brown leather strap watch. Here are some requirements:

1. Bezel/dial must be at least 40mm
2. Band color must be brown and leather (croc is OK)
3. Must be an automatic movement
4. I prefer a white dial color. Doesn't have to be white, but i'll look at others if it looks nice.
5. Round dial
6. I would like it to be a chronograph.
7. Price range $2000-$4000
8. Watchmaker must specialize in watches. Swiss made preferred.

I was looking at Longines and this interested me. Only $2550

^ That Longines looks nice!

A couple of things to note...

1) Bezel size is somewhat trivial. Some 40mm watches wear big and some wear small. Take for example the Rolex Submariner vs the Rolex Daytona... both 40mm but the Sub feels like it's 42mm whereas the Daytona feels like it's 38ish.

2) You can replace the strap, so if you see a watch with a strap you aren't fond of, don't sweat it. For some watches, changing the strap is half the fun (Panerai, for example).

Make sure to try on before you buy. Watches have one of the high percentages of buyers remorse by purchasers so make sure you really like the one you purchase.

Good luck!

@Hank - Maybe a Tag Carrera? It's at the lower range, so 2 grand from jomashop.com.

But that's a nice Longines.

That Longines looks too busy for my liking. It just feels like they crammed everything in there and it just doesn't look that clean or simple.

I've tried the longines on before and it is a nice size but the dial is way too busy. Busy works for chronos or sports watches not something that leans to the dressier-casual style watches.

I got a seagull M171S instead, busy but affordable @ $250.

It's not just that it is too busy for a dress watch, it is just too busy in general. It has a chrono, moonphase, Day/Date/Month, 24hrs, 30min counter, small second, big second, etc... It's overloaded and not presented in the nicest and cleanest way.

Last edited:
What are some nice watches to get for $2000.00 ?

I like black watches and I don't have a problem with stainless steel , but I'm open to any type of suggestions for the price range.

Hublot Classic Fusion Classico Ultra-Thin King Gold

Can't say I'm a fan. The screws around the bezel detracts from the simplicity of the whole thing. Photoshopped out those screws to see what it would like like...i like it a lot better

12677202LL.jpg

Any thoughts about Android (brand) watches? My folks want to get me a decent/ pretty nice watch for Christmas and they asked me what I wanted..

Also, thoughts on ceramic bands?

Save your money, get a Citizen or a Seiko. They offer alot of black watches that are great and durable. Plus the Android has an integrated band meaning you can't swap straps and your SOL when that bracelet breaks or when you want to replace it.

@Hank - Maybe a Tag Carrera? It's at the lower range, so 2 grand from jomashop.com.

But that's a nice Longines.

Thanks for the recommendation. I was looking at Tag's, especially the Carrera. I just haven't been able to find a nice one that had a brown strap and a white face.

^ That Longines looks nice!

A couple of things to note...

1) Bezel size is somewhat trivial. Some 40mm watches wear big and some wear small. Take for example the Rolex Submariner vs the Rolex Daytona... both 40mm but the Sub feels like it's 42mm whereas the Daytona feels like it's 38ish.

2) You can replace the strap, so if you see a watch with a strap you aren't fond of, don't sweat it. For some watches, changing the strap is half the fun (Panerai, for example).

Make sure to try on before you buy. Watches have one of the high percentages of buyers remorse by purchasers so make sure you really like the one you purchase.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help. I'm aware I can change the strap. I've bought a couple watches in the past and had the straps changed.

I agree with you on the size of the dial though. I have some watches where the 40mm looks smaller on some watches than others. I even have a 38mm watch that looks bigger than a 40mm sometimes. Weird :lol:

It's not just that it is too busy for a dress watch, it is just too busy in general. It has a chrono, moonphase, Day/Date/Month, 24hrs, 30min counter, small second, big second, etc... It's overloaded and not presented in the nicest and cleanest way.

I get what you're saying, but that't part of the reason why I like it so much. It's different from the other watches I own. I thought it would be nice to make a switch.

My next watch is def going to be a dressy watch.

A watch can be busy and functional w/o looking bad. Take this JLC Perpetual Calendar w/ Moonphase for example, movement is much complicated than that Longines and the dial is still somewhat busy but it still clean and sleek and beautiful. That Longines looks like a swiss army knife of things you will never need.

i can't really think of a white dial chrono with a brown strap in the $2500 range atm.

RFX, you're showing me a Jaeger Le Coultre there.

I make a pretty good salary, but IDK if I can drop $30-40k on a watch right now :lol:

Back
Top Bottom