POST YOUR WATCHES vol. ?

:lol: Oh yeah I am not suggesting to get that (though wouldn't it be great to have it :D ), it was just an example.

How about this Tissot Le Locle? It still has a busy dial but not as bad as the Longines. Retail is about $1500 but you could probably find it for around $1000.

:lol: Oh yeah I am not suggesting to get that (though wouldn't it be great to have it :D ), it was just an example.

How about this Tissot Le Locle? It still has a busy dial but not as bad as the Longines. Retail is about $1500 but you could probably find it for around $1000.

That's not bad. Where can I find this online. Jomashop doesn't have it.

Authenticwatches should have it, get the ref. # and then google if you want to look up reviews or other store that might have a better price.

I think this is the Carrera Calibre 6 I saw in Tourneau the other day. Looks good, nice & fairly simple:

There are some very similar ones as well that bump up in price...

Last edited:
Definitely too busy.

If i were to get a Patek, it will definitely be a Calatrava or Nautilus or one of the complications with a less busy dial.

RFX is on the money with the dress watch.

Dress watch:
-thin
-clean dial
-no date
-fits under the cuff
-no chrono, chronometer, etc
-around 36-38mm (depends on your wrist but mine is 6.75""
-leather strap
-no second hands (optional)
-ex: cartier tank, patek caltavara, hamilton ventura, etc

I personally do not like most watches that fit the criteria of a "dress watch" listed above.

I suit up with my Sub.

That Patek is a bit busy for a dress watch. But I also don't like the bland look of a lot of "dress" watches.

Not that I disagree, but if I'm making the foray into very high-end timepieces such as Patek, I want something with multiple complications that I would not be able to find on a Rolex/AP/etc. Whether or not you find the dial to be too busy is completely subjective, however.

To me, the 36mm Datejust w/ Jubilee bracelet is the quintessential dress watch and I would love to add one with a rhodium dial and roman numerals one day. And when I say dress, I mean worn with a suit. For black-tie/formalwear, I agree that a watch absolutely needs to have a leather strap.

edit: I suit up with my Sub as well but I would prefer something a little more discreet. Too bad I plan to add 2 more stainless Rolexes before I even consider a leather-strapped watch.

Last edited:
AP has those complications as well. Many watch companies have a grand complication actually.

I'm not saying that my criteria for a dress watch is to be taken as gospel. I'm just stating what I look for in a dress watch which is more of a traditional one like in Mad Men. My watch preferences lean more in classical and timeless styles and I tend to shy away from really popular brands that I see a lot. I tend to stay away from Tags, Rolex, and Omegas as I feel the price doesn't match the quality. I actually prefer German watch manufacturers like Glashutte Original, Nomos, Sinn, Damasko, Stowa, Laco, etc. I also wouldn't wear a sports watch/diver as a dress watch but that's just my opinion. Wear what you like, that's all that really matters. Not trying to ruffle any feathers.

AP has those complications as well. Many watch companies have a grand complication actually.

Not a fan really...

I prefer my AP's to be more on the simple side like the 15400:

Although I wouldn't say no to an ROC Panda:

Quality to price ratio, it's kind of hard to argue that Rolex isn't worth it's price, especially for a Sub.

Movement is in-house (though very mass produced but it still isn't ETA or Sellita or Miyota or whatever is common these days), all are COSC certified and the resale value is very good even if bought at retail. That no discount rule and history simply keeps the brands value really high.

Omega is still one of the most regarded watchmakers out there, their prices drops on the used market but when it comes to quality, Omega is right up there and you can usually get a deeper discount on Omegas in comparison to Rolex. Their movements are solid and quality is on par with Rolex if not better. Don't get it twisted due to their spokespersons and marketing, they are easily top tier quality. Not on Patek, VC, AP, etc.. tier but just below that. GO is about at this realm too, they are one of the pricier German options out there and quality is maybe just slightly better than Omega.

Tag, I agree. It isn't worth the price especially at retail. However, they have unique and nice pieces that will last anyways. The brand will more than suffice to non-WISers to be honest, some care for the look than the movement, as long as it works. It's a good and cheaper alternative and most of them does look pretty good.

Not a fan really...

I prefer my AP's to be more on the simple side like the 15400:

Although I wouldn't say no to an ROC Panda:

http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/557485/width/350/height/700[/IMG[/SPOILER]][/quote]

Well you picked the busiest dial they make, skeleton dials do that. Plus AP has watches that doesn't have their signature bezel for a cleaner look and this one has a better dial than the Patek you posted.
[img]http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/557511/

I'm not saying that my criteria for a dress watch is to be taken as gospel. I'm just stating what I look for in a dress watch which is more of a traditional one like in Mad Men. My watch preferences lean more in classical and timeless styles and I tend to shy away from really popular brands that I see a lot. I tend to stay away from Tags, Rolex, and Omegas as I feel the price doesn't match the quality. I actually prefer German watch manufacturers like Glashutte Original, Nomos, Sinn, Damasko, Stowa, Laco, etc. I also wouldn't wear a sports watch/diver as a dress watch but that's just my opinion. Wear what you like, that's all that really matters. Not trying to ruffle any feathers.

No feathers ruffled. Just another perspective.

Thoughts on the Tissot Visodate? 40mm is just about perfect for me although the case looks to be on the thick side.

Currently $465 for the black and gold that I want on Joma....good price or keep looking?

Tissot_Visodate.jpg

Last edited:
I have a visodate kinda of a boring looking watch and a little thick. Strap is crap but looks great on a mesh bracelet. I wouldn't pay more than $400 for one but I got mine used for $315 on Wus. Looking back at it, I should have gone with a Hamilton thinomatic 38mm or tissot le Locle on a bracelet,

I was thinking of getting one as opposed to a Steinhart, because although the case is 11.6 mm, it's still thinner than Steinhart's marine watches. I like its simple, refined, yet elegant look.
Amazon also carries these at around 420 brand new btw.

Back
Top Bottom