PS3 NETWORK DOWN.

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Lol... all of a sudden PSN goes down and "it's not a big deal I have a life outside video games and play 1 player story mode all the time anyways"

PUHHHHLLEEAAAASSSEEEEE stop that nonsense and take the L.

No online gaming sucks. I would be heated as hell if I were a PS3 Owner.

It's been what?... 5 days now? FYL
There are some stories that are worth replaying.
MGS4
Half-Life 2 (with episodes 1 & 2)
God Of War 1-3
Portal 1 & 2
Resistance 1 & 2
Uncharted 1 & 2
Batman: AA

At first I was upset the PSN was down, now not so much. I want it to come back, but until then I will continue going to bars and pool halls playing billiards for cash.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Lol... all of a sudden PSN goes down and "it's not a big deal I have a life outside video games and play 1 player story mode all the time anyways"

PUHHHHLLEEAAAASSSEEEEE stop that nonsense and take the L.

No online gaming sucks. I would be heated as hell if I were a PS3 Owner.

It's been what?... 5 days now? FYL
There are some stories that are worth replaying.
MGS4
Half-Life 2 (with episodes 1 & 2)
God Of War 1-3
Portal 1 & 2
Resistance 1 & 2
Uncharted 1 & 2
Batman: AA

At first I was upset the PSN was down, now not so much. I want it to come back, but until then I will continue going to bars and pool halls playing billiards for cash.
pimp.gif

Im really shocked how people are freaking out. Ive been playing my single player games and having a blast.

Crysis 2 single player is pretty fun.

Im really shocked how people are freaking out. Ive been playing my single player games and having a blast.

Crysis 2 single player is pretty fun.

Originally Posted by toine2983

Originally Posted by shogun

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

Sounds like the YLOD. RIP to your PS3, fam.
frown.gif
i can still turn it on, it just takes a few tries.  it's probably on life support.  
frown.gif

Yeah, sounds like the early stages of YLOD.

I'd advise you to back up your game data ASAP.

I checked my ps3 last night and again just now, seems to be working normal again.  
eek.gif

thanks for the tips though, i'll get an external hd and backup everything.  

Originally Posted by toine2983

Originally Posted by shogun

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

Sounds like the YLOD. RIP to your PS3, fam.
frown.gif
i can still turn it on, it just takes a few tries.  it's probably on life support.  
frown.gif

Yeah, sounds like the early stages of YLOD.

I'd advise you to back up your game data ASAP.

I checked my ps3 last night and again just now, seems to be working normal again.  
eek.gif

thanks for the tips though, i'll get an external hd and backup everything.  

laugh.gif
I guess this thread definitely shows how important online multiplayer is in video games these days. I probably won't touch my system that much, otherwise. Most games are too quick to finish these days, too.

laugh.gif
I guess this thread definitely shows how important online multiplayer is in video games these days. I probably won't touch my system that much, otherwise. Most games are too quick to finish these days, too.

Originally Posted by The Minister

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Originally Posted by sole vintage
Without getting myself into trouble I can say that this is not an internal deal. Sony did not have any kind of internal failure that caused this. There's quite a few factors and most have been touched on in this thread. Sole knows what he's talking about but there's obviously more.

Someone quoted me me in the Wii2 thread a week ago and posted on another forum. That post led to my employer finding out about posts I've been making on here so I can't give out any definitive info
eyes.gif
where you work at?
It was just speculation because the "hacking" explanation was bogus.
Does this sound more plausible?

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (http://rebug.me). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.
1. Rebug was released on 3/31/11.
2. First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11. 3. Word of "shady" sites finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website). 4. PSN goes down on #%!%/11

Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.

Originally Posted by The Minister

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Originally Posted by sole vintage
Without getting myself into trouble I can say that this is not an internal deal. Sony did not have any kind of internal failure that caused this. There's quite a few factors and most have been touched on in this thread. Sole knows what he's talking about but there's obviously more.

Someone quoted me me in the Wii2 thread a week ago and posted on another forum. That post led to my employer finding out about posts I've been making on here so I can't give out any definitive info
eyes.gif
where you work at?
It was just speculation because the "hacking" explanation was bogus.
Does this sound more plausible?

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (http://rebug.me). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.
1. Rebug was released on 3/31/11.
2. First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11. 3. Word of "shady" sites finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website). 4. PSN goes down on #%!%/11

Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.

[h1]Sony: PSN Information Compromised[/h1][h2]Credit card data not ruled out.[/h2][h2] April 26, 2011[/h2]
by Jim Reilly Sony said today it believes personal identification information from registered PlayStation Network users has been compromised as a result of an illegal intrusion that has shut down the service for the past week.

Sony also believes PSN logins and password information may have been illegally obtained. Patrick Seybold, Senior Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA said the company has hired a "recognized security firm" to fully investigate the matter and has strengthened the network's security in the meantime for further protection.

Sony says it believes an unauthorized person has obtained the following personal information that you provided:

- Name
- Address (city, state, zip)
- Country
- Email Address
- Birthdate
- PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID

Seybold also says that "profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers" may have been obtained. Sub-account information may have also been compromised.

There is also "no evidence" that credit card information has been obtained, Sony is not ruling out the possibility. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained," Seybold said.

"We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information.

"Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions."

--------------------------

Damn man
30t6p3b.gif
,still don't understand how Sony let something like this happen. I feel for you PS3 owners.

Spoiler [+]
229559_10150179737816633_59685491632_6971579_5285073_n.jpg

[h1]Sony: PSN Information Compromised[/h1][h2]Credit card data not ruled out.[/h2][h2] April 26, 2011[/h2]
by Jim Reilly Sony said today it believes personal identification information from registered PlayStation Network users has been compromised as a result of an illegal intrusion that has shut down the service for the past week.

Sony also believes PSN logins and password information may have been illegally obtained. Patrick Seybold, Senior Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA said the company has hired a "recognized security firm" to fully investigate the matter and has strengthened the network's security in the meantime for further protection.

Sony says it believes an unauthorized person has obtained the following personal information that you provided:

- Name
- Address (city, state, zip)
- Country
- Email Address
- Birthdate
- PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID

Seybold also says that "profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers" may have been obtained. Sub-account information may have also been compromised.

There is also "no evidence" that credit card information has been obtained, Sony is not ruling out the possibility. "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained," Seybold said.

"We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information.

"Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions."

--------------------------

Damn man
30t6p3b.gif
,still don't understand how Sony let something like this happen. I feel for you PS3 owners.

Spoiler [+]
229559_10150179737816633_59685491632_6971579_5285073_n.jpg

Originally Posted by ddouble

Day 6, let us all pray.

0010_hu2r.gif

laugh.gif

first time going through maintenance for me i was like %+@ i got banned or something? i barely play 
laugh.gif
asked my friend to check his then did some google work
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by ddouble

Day 6, let us all pray.

0010_hu2r.gif

laugh.gif

first time going through maintenance for me i was like %+@ i got banned or something? i barely play 
laugh.gif
asked my friend to check his then did some google work
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom