PS3|VITA Thread: Vita $249 | PS3 BF3 Tonight PG727 | Black Ops 3rd Map Pack PG726 | Dust514 PG723

Via blog.us.playstation.com

Press Release: Some PlayStation Network and Qriocity Services to be Available This Week
PlayStation-Default-554x341.jpg

Press Release: Some PlayStation Network and Qriocity Services to be Available This Week

+ Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

SOME PLAYSTATION[emoji]174[/emoji]NETWORK AND QRIOCITY[emoji]8482[/emoji] SERVICES TO BE AVAILABLE THIS WEEK
Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally;
System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information

Tokyo, May 1, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation[emoji]174[/emoji]Network and Qriocity[emoji]8482[/emoji] services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on. The company also announced both a series of immediate steps to enhance security across the network and a new customer appreciation program to thank its customers for their patience and loyalty.

Following a criminal cyber-attack on the company’s data-center located in San Diego, California, U.S.A., SNEI quickly turned off the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, engaged multiple expert information security firms over the course of several days and conducted an extensive audit of the system. Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third-party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. With these measures in place, SCE and SNEI plan to start a phased rollout by region of the services shortly. The initial phase of the rollout will include, but is not limited to, the following:

Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation[emoji]174[/emoji]3 (PS3) and PSP[emoji]174[/emoji] (PlayStation[emoji]174[/emoji]Portable) systems
-This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
Access to account management and password reset
Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
PlayStation[emoji]174[/emoji]Home
Friends List
Chat Functionality

Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information. The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel. The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:

Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
Implementation of additional firewalls

The company also expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location that has been under construction and development for several months. In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

The company is conducting a thorough and on-going investigation and working with law enforcement to track down and prosecute those responsible for the illegal intrusion.

“This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry. These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers’ information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks,

PS+ eh? Not bad I guess. Not sure if I should buy games off the store though after this whole ordeal.

Just finished the Single Player Campaign in SOCOM 4. Can't believe how short it was... shorter than COD. Done with it less than 6 hours.
sick.gif

Game was fun, though. Can't wait to try out Multiplayer once PSN is back on.
pimp.gif
EDIT: *sees title change* "National Nightmare"?
laugh.gif

The said with in a week on Tuesday ehhhhh. Hopefully they have it in a few days, playstation plus for free is pretty cool tho.

'Bout time, only game i really play currently is NBA 2k11, and i'm about tired of trying to complete these damn Jordan challenges
laugh.gif

But what is this Playstation plus stuff?

Originally Posted by Grimey

Originally Posted by caleekicks

Has anyone picked up an xbox because of this debacle?
No chance
But Microsoft Promo department needs a round of applause, because they rolled out some killer deals. 

Xbox 4g slim is 129.99 all over Canada

Ebgames has a promo trade in ur old xbox 360 and pay 20 for a new slim 4gb xbox.

Best buy and Futureshop are selling xbox 360 kinect bundle 179.99

Sony needs to drop the price for a weekend or something to draw people back

Originally Posted by jthagreat

what is playstation + and whats good about it?

discounts on (select) games, content, earlier downloads, and a bunch of other @+@$.

VIP service for short.

Originally Posted by 1C3M4M

Originally Posted by jthagreat

what is playstation + and whats good about it?

-free games that last for as long as you have a + membership. They gave out a game called Stack & Fat Princess that i play alot. they are currently giving out genesis is games. 
-discounts on games across psn
-cloud storage for game saves. so u can play a game at home and upload the save it to the cloud and continue it other places. (really useful because alot of saves are protected when trying to use a usb stick. 
-automatic game updates. you can set your system to check for updates of your games and it can do it while ur away. 
-Early demos. + members get early demos and betas even before people that buy games with demo codes. ie. Socom 4. 
its a dope service for 50 bucks a year if you use PSN alot. 

#%@$ ps+ i want my cross game chat/ party chat!
mad.gif

for ALL ps users

also is it wrong for me to wish this whole ordeal on the xbl services?
a majority of my friends i hang out with have xbox and they were all talking sith yesterday.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Don't worry, XBL is targeted next, rumblings on hacker forums already brewing.

devil.gif

360 boys a bunch of babys already. theres gonna be a mass suicide watch.

I'm pretty glad I left town just as PSN went down. I'm not back for another week, so they can feel free to take their time.
Although I should probably get my CC info off of there, even if it is too late.

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Don't worry, XBL is targeted next, rumblings on hacker forums already brewing.

nerd.gif
If it happens, I can't wait to see how my coworker Anthony will react. He's been cracking jokes about the PSN situation since it started. He, and a few other coworkers, will probably have heart attacks if they lose XBL.

Back
Top Bottom