Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (a Spaghetti Western) scheduled for release Christmas 2012

I havnet seen it but it's more than likely an over the top very violent movie that has white evil slave owners being abusive to black people and consequently being killed in brutal fashion.

I don't think that's racist. If you find that uncomftorble, then just don't watch it.

If its billed as realistic or a historical movie then I'm fully behind the outrage

Last edited:
I havnet seen it but it's more than likely an over the top very violent movie that has white evil slave owners being abusive to black people and consequently being killed in brutal fashion.

I don't think that's racist. If you find that uncomftorble, then just don't watch it.

If its billed as realistic or a historical movie then I'm fully behind the outrage

I dont think people consider him racist. But more immature and exploitative.

Last edited:

I dont think people consider him racist. But more immature and exploitive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_tarantino

satirical subject matter and the aestheticization of violence that often results in the exhibition of neo-noir characteristics

that's kind of his thing... paying homage to "exploitation" films.

Last edited:
I'm not a Quentin Tarantino fan at all,I think he's not as talented as everyone makes him out to be.He,takes bits and peices from older movies,espacially black exploitation movies,adds a twist here and there,modernize it,add something controversial(n-word,bloody gore)to it for the purpose of actually making people wan't to see the movie.

I'll wait to see the movie first before I judge it but I'm not going to hold my breath because if he wanted to actually do something in the name of art,well instead of making a spaghetti western,with humor added to it,why not just make a movie about Nathaniel Turner aka Nat Turner?.That way,it's a double whammy,for black & white people and anything in between.Everyone will get a dose of reality,the people who hate the use of the N-word and the people who never want's to see a black man righteously exact's revenge on anyone white for his and his people's suffering.That would,make a hell of a movie and something most wouldn't forget on christmas day.

i think spike probably feels subject matter like this should only be dealt with in a realistic and historical fashion, since you're dealing with people's suffering and all

not as some b-movie/spaghetti western/comedy action flick

but yeah, he didn't delve into it much so one can only assume

Last edited:

I dont think people consider him racist. But more immature and exploitive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_tarantino

satirical subject matter and the aestheticization of violence that often results in the exhibition of neo-noir characteristics

that's kind of his thing...

Im not saying hes right or wrong in his style of writing, but Im not going to sit here and say Im ok with his excessive use of the n-word, and making a mockery of ww2 or slavery

i think spike probably feels subject matter like this should only be dealt with in a realistic and historical fashion, since you're dealing with people's suffering and all
not as some b-movie/spaghetti western/comedy action flick
but yeah, he didn't delve into it much so one can only assume

okay that's a much more valid argument. That I can understand even though I don't agree with it, especially one artist saying that to another artist

I watched inglorious basterds with an older Jew and he was confused and annoyed with the movie. He just couldn't accept the satire element because it was too close to him. It stopped him from enjoying the movie

So if that's what he feels than its understandable. But I'm pretty sure it's more that he's just mad QT uses the N word many times in his movies because they have had problems for years

Humor is a key component of Tarantino's style...so that means he's only allowed to do a certain type of movie about certain subjects?

tarantino always came off as having this weird conflicted racial energy to me... in my personal opinion he seems like a racist..but he is like one of those racists that idolizes and hates at the same time

so what if he made a comedy about school shootings? would that be just fine?
kzmSZ.jpg

so what if he made a comedy about school shootings? would that be just fine?

Contrary to what you seem to believe, all films that contain humor are NOT comedies...the same way all films with violent scenes are not of the horror genre. That's an easy enough concept to grasp isn't it? Stop acting like Django Unchained is a slapstick comedy just because the trailer shows all the one-liners from the movie. You know that's not the case.

But to address your non-point...

If someone DID want to make a comedy about a school shooting I would be fine with that. Four Lions is an acclaimed comedy about jihadists planning to become suicide bombers...Hogan's Heroes ran for SIX YEARS and it's about captured soldiers in a Nazi prison camp. It may be tasteless or whatever you want to call it, but artists should be ALLOWED to create what they wish.

Contrary to what you seem to believe, all films that contain humor are NOT comedies...the same way all films with violent scenes are not of the horror genre. That's an easy enough concept to grasp isn't it? Stop acting like Django Unchained is a slapstick comedy just because the trailer shows all the one-liners from the movie. You know that's not the case.
If someone DID want to make a comedy about a school shooting I would be fine with that. Four Lions is an acclaimed comedy about jihadists planning to become suicide bombers...Hogan's Heroes ran for SIX YEARS and it's about captured soldiers in a Nazi prison camp. It may be tasteless or whatever you want to call it, but artists should be ALLOWED to create what they wish.

very well said/typed

maybe you would, but i'm sure many of the people so eager to see django wouldnt be as excited about this film.

Two friends of mine luckily got to go to an advance screening a few days ago, and Leo drops N' bombs a lot. And as far as the movie itself goes, they said it's probably one of, if not the best of the year, and one of Tarantino's best.

Love that Fox suggested Leo method act, and the next day he said "Whatsup Leo!?" and he never answered back; in fact, he ignored him that entire day on set :lol: .

What point are you trying to make?
Are you an advocate of censorship in art?

no, i'm not saying the movie should be banned or anything

it's not birth of a nation

i was just giving my opinion on spike's statements really, and pointing out areas where i agreed with him

spike isn't advocating censorship either i dont think, even though he has no interest in seeing the film himself

@TavisSmiley Django Unchained --- a spoof on slavery: Hollywood's Christmas gift for Negroes. Thanks, you shouldn't have.

@TavisSmiley Hollywood djust (the 'd' is silent) won't do an authentic film about the holocaust of slavery.

@TavisSmiley Django Unchained --- a spoof on slavery: Hollywood's Christmas gift for Negroes. Thanks, you shouldn't have.
@TavisSmiley Hollywood djust (the 'd' is silent) won't do an authentic film about the holocaust of slavery.
laugh.gif

Going back to True Romance...one of the first screenplays Tarantino wrote, he always had this weird obsession with black culture. 

Anyway...it's a blu-ray watch when it drops. 

As far as an authentic movie about slavery...nah go watch Roots. Or read a book on it...you know how we get when watching **** like that.

Back
Top Bottom