Question about Puerto Ricans

I'm puerto rican and I use the n word. I grew up around mostly black people. To say the word means the same thing in every context is just dumb. ObviouslyI wouldn't go up to someone and say it randomly in a conversation. I use it with my friends as more of a greeting like yo wuts good my n or yea that'smy n. I have yet to hear a black person that I know personally say it's offensive. If they did tell me it is I would definitely stop saying it.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Do Dominicans use the word often? I mean SOME of them ARE black right?
99% of them are black.

All though a lot them don't realize
eyes.gif

And I have never seen a brotha in New York get tight about a Rican using the word. It's accepted.

Q46totheE sometimes people just dont get it no matter how you explain it. Sometimes people just have to learn the hard way.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

99% of them are black.

eyes.gif
That's because they deny it.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

99% of them are black.

eyes.gif
What I was hinting at too.

It's funny I know some PR Dudes and Dominican dudes, dark as night but still think they not black
laugh.gif

**** with that BS
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Lazy B

99% of them are black.

eyes.gif
What I was hinting at too.

It's funny I know some PR Dudes and Dominican dudes, dark as night but still think they not black
laugh.gif

**** with that BS
roll.gif

i mean.......................there is still a difference

i seen plenty of east indians darker than me too.................

Cops, Italians ,etc labeled Puerto Ricans that word a long time ago... even blacks did.

Read some of Piri Thomas' work, Puerto Ricans suffer from a identity crisis till this day

!+%%!!-Reecan Blues
Willie Perdomo (for Piri Thomas)

Hey, Willie. What are you, man?
No, silly. You know what I mean: What are you?
I am you. You are me. We the same. Can't you feel our veins drinking the
same blood?
-But who said you was a Porta Reecan?
-Tu eres Puerto Riqueno, brother.
-Maybe Indian like Gandhi Indian.
-I thought you was a Black man.
-Is one of your parents white?
-You sure you ain't a mix of something like
-Portuguese and Chinese?
-Naaaahhh. . .You ain't no Porta Reecan.
-I keep telling you: The boy is a Black man with an accent.
If you look closely you will see that your spirits are standing right next to
our songs. You soy Boricua! You soy Africano! I ain't lyin'. Pero mi pelo es
kinky y kurly y mi skin no es negra pero it can pass. ..
-Hey, yo. I don't care what you say - you Black.
I ain't Black! Everytime I go downtown la madam blankeeta de madesson
avenue sees that I'm standing right next to her and she holds her purse just
a bit tighter. I can't even catch a taxi late at night and the newspapers say
that if I'm not in front of a gun, chances are that I'll be behind one. I wonder
why. . .
-Cuz you Black, !+%%!!.
I ain't Black, man. I had a conversation with my professor. Went like this:
-Where are you from, Willie?
-I'm from Harlem.
-Ohh! Are you Black?
-No, but-
-Do you play much basketball?
Te lo estoy diciendo, brother. Ese hombre es un moreno!
Miralo!
Mira yo no soy moreno! I just come out of Jerry's Den and the
coconut
spray off my new shape-up sails around the corner, up to the Harlem
River and off to New Jersey. I'm lookin' slim and I'm lookin' trim
and when my homeboy Davi saw me, he said: "Como, Papo. Te
parece como
un moreno, brother. Word up, bro. You look like a stone black
kid."
-I told you - you was Black.
Damn! I ain't even Black and here I am sufferin' from the young
Black man's plight/the old whtie man's burden/and I ain't even
Black, man/a Black man/I am not/Boricua I am/ain't never really
was/Black/like me. . .

-Leave that boy alone. He got the !+%%!!-Reecan Blues
I'm a %$%#!
I'm a !+%%!!!
%$%#! %$%#! No different than a !+%%!!!
Neglected, rejected, oppressed and depressed
From banana boats to tenements
Street gangs to regiments. . .
%$%#! %$%#! I ain't nooooo different than a !+%%!!.

Originally Posted by SneakerPimp2k8

very very true, they need their own word.....yall arent black, that word is reserved for us
you do realize that many african slaves were imported to most latin american countries, where they mixed with the native population? so at leastsome Dominicans and Ricans would have a legitimate right to use the word.

"i seen plenty of east indians darker than me too................."

That's true being of African descent doesn't mean being dark.
But the Domicans and Puerto Ricans should agree that they do have Black in them even if they aren't fully Black.

Any who, with the N word argument I understand both sides. It isn't the first time that a people have tried to ameliorate a negative term into a good one.I just wish we would all agree.

Btw I don't see any professors, doctors or other black professionals (the people we should be emulating) using this term.
I choose not to for now.

as someone from MD, this irritated me SO much when i went to NY.. it made my skin crawl seeing little hispanic kids running around saying N' this N'that. after a while, i kind of got used to it, but it is still somewhat unsettling

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

as someone from MD, this irritated me SO much when i went to NY.. it made my skin crawl seeing little hispanic kids running around saying N' this N' that. after a while, i kind of got used to it, but it is still somewhat unsettling

if it's not used offensively race shouldn't matter (i'm white i'd never say it but i mean technically why should it matter?) .....andcaribbean "hispanics" are mostly black anyway so what diff does it make? no different than a mixed person saying it.

Originally Posted by Q46totheE

Which is why I suggest you talk to someone from the older generation and see what that word means....cause obviously you have zero clue as to the hate behind what you're saying...no matter how you try to spin it, genius.

I have come to the conclusion that you have absolutely no clue what the word "context" means, and can't possibly grasp the idea that words meandifferent things when used in different contexts. The word as it is used in slang today does not have the same meaning or connotation as the original term. Period. You can not like it all you want, that doesn't change the facts.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

as someone from MD, this irritated me SO much when i went to NY.. it made my skin crawl seeing little hispanic kids running around saying N' this N' that. after a while, i kind of got used to it, but it is still somewhat unsettling

if it's not used offensively race shouldn't matter (i'm white i'd never say it but i mean technically why should it matter?) .....and caribbean "hispanics" are mostly black anyway so what diff does it make? no different than a mixed person saying it.
i know it doesn't matter, i just thought it was weird. where i'm from, non-blacks rarely ever say the N-word in my presence, and when theydo it's usually offensive. so when i went to NY and saw non-blacks throwing the N-word around, it still kind of stung because i'm not used to hearingit that openly.

btw meant to say "Spanish" not "Hispanic".. i'm not used to using the terminology and i always forget.
smh.gif

if it's not used offensively race shouldn't matter (i'm white i'd never say it but i mean technically why should it matter?) .....and caribbean "hispanics" are mostly black anyway so what diff does it make? no different than a mixed person saying it.
i know it doesn't matter, i just thought it was weird. where i'm from, non-blacks rarely ever say the N-word in my presence, and when they do it's usually offensive. so when i went to NY and saw non-blacks throwing the N-word around, it still kind of stung because i'm not used to hearing it that openly.

btw meant to say "Spanish" not "Hispanic".. i'm not used to using the terminology and i always forget.
smh.gif
nah hispanic is the right term, i just put it in quotes because its not actually a race. there are white hispanics, black hispanics, nativeamerican hispanics, and most are just a mix of things.

and yeah i could see why you be thrown off at first. ive always seen pr's and dominican dudes say the n word on the east coast but out west theres moremexicans and they dont seem to say it

Originally Posted by J Burner

Which is why I suggest you talk to someone from the older generation and see what that word means....cause obviously you have zero clue as to the hate behind what you're saying...no matter how you try to spin it, genius.

I have come to the conclusion that you have absolutely no clue what the word "context" means, and can't possibly grasp the idea that words mean different things when used in different contexts. The word as it is used in slang today does not have the same meaning or connotation as the original term. Period. You can not like it all you want, that doesn't change the facts.

bro, you're talking about a RACIAL SLUR.

smh.gif

The fact that they deny being black or having any African heritage. Not all do this obviously but its disturbing when they do.

Originally Posted by J Burner

I have come to the conclusion that you have absolutely no clue what the word "context" means, and can't possibly grasp the idea that words mean different things when used in different contexts. The word as it is used in slang today does not have the same meaning or connotation as the original term. Period. You can not like it all you want, that doesn't change the facts.

bro, you're talking about a RACIAL SLUR.

smh.gif

No YOU ARE talking about a racial slur. I'm talking about the word as it is used in the CONTEXT of TODAY'S generation as slang. You are tying toargue that it doesn't exist in any other form other than a racial slur, which is completely false. What the hell is so hard for you to grasp about this? The word is now used differently, it can still be used as a racial slur, but that doesn't mean that everytime someone utters the sound that it is aracial slur. Its not a hard concept to grasp, I don't know what you're having so much difficulty with. Again, the same conclusion, you haveNO IDEA what context means.

Back
Top Bottom