Question about the difference bewtween Uptown(NorthWest) DC and South East DC..

Ok, so I was born In South East DC (DC general Hospital) and I was raised In Oxon Hill, MD. So sometime last year I was dating this chick that lives Uptown Dc (16th 7 Rittenhouse Street NorthWest) and Realized that that part of Dc is a Totally different atmosphere then Southeast Dc. The people are different also. so my question is why are both locations so different? Like when I started to go up there last year, I didn't think I was in DC anymore because it is so different. Anyone from Uptown can compare why? Thanks. 

Ok, so I was born In South East DC (DC general Hospital) and I was raised In Oxon Hill, MD. So sometime last year I was dating this chick that lives Uptown Dc (16th 7 Rittenhouse Street NorthWest) and Realized that that part of Dc is a Totally different atmosphere then Southeast Dc. The people are different also. so my question is why are both locations so different? Like when I started to go up there last year, I didn't think I was in DC anymore because it is so different. Anyone from Uptown can compare why? Thanks. 

my take is that the people from uptown look down on SE/NE because it is more of the "hood". that is just my opinion from going to school at howard. and then knowing people and hanging out in SE/NE but my opinion may not be that valid because im not from here. in reality this whole damn city is nutz.

lol jk
tongue.gif

my take is that the people from uptown look down on SE/NE because it is more of the "hood". that is just my opinion from going to school at howard. and then knowing people and hanging out in SE/NE but my opinion may not be that valid because im not from here. in reality this whole damn city is nutz.

lol jk
tongue.gif

it's not that different we all from the same city...but whole time the city is changing the white folks are moving in

it's not that different we all from the same city...but whole time the city is changing the white folks are moving in

It is crazy because it is like you are in 2 different places, but I do like Uptown a lot more then Southeast.. Any more opinions? 

It is crazy because it is like you are in 2 different places, but I do like Uptown a lot more then Southeast.. Any more opinions? 

Originally Posted by bigtomgetsgwap

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
  @ the ignorance.

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
  @ the ignorance.

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
  @ the ignorance.

word...because its places i wouldnt dare walk thru in se/ne without natives at night. nw on the other hand...there is a lot of gentrification going on though. im starting to see more and more white people off penn and around the stadium and what not.

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
  @ the ignorance.

word...because its places i wouldnt dare walk thru in se/ne without natives at night. nw on the other hand...there is a lot of gentrification going on though. im starting to see more and more white people off penn and around the stadium and what not.

Im more interested to know how u spent youre entire life in DC, but have just recently been exposed to NW.

Im more interested to know how u spent youre entire life in DC, but have just recently been exposed to NW.

^ Because I really didn't go out that much when I was younger, so I was just going by what I have seen most of the time, which is Southeast and based on my exposure to Southeast, I used to think everywhere in Dc was flat out bad. My mom didn't really take us uptown as far as I remember, so when I started to go up there i was just overwhelmed by how different it was from the part that i was closed to. I only went to Downtown DC NW, but never went any further then that. 

^ Because I really didn't go out that much when I was younger, so I was just going by what I have seen most of the time, which is Southeast and based on my exposure to Southeast, I used to think everywhere in Dc was flat out bad. My mom didn't really take us uptown as far as I remember, so when I started to go up there i was just overwhelmed by how different it was from the part that i was closed to. I only went to Downtown DC NW, but never went any further then that. 

I don't think there is a huge difference with the exception of the outlook of neighborhoods.
. My friend also lives around 16 & Rittenhouse & i stay a few minutes closer to Downtown off of 16th St. Also, sections of Uptown/NW that were heavily populated by minorities such as Columbia Heights & Mt. Pleasant began the quote-in-quote "gentrification" process over a decade ago.

My family is split up where my grandmother's side hails from UPT (both Columbia Heights & part of Georgetown..i forget the neighborhood but it used to be all black middle class families)
& my grandfather's from 36 & Minnesota so I guess I was exposed to the differences at an early age & have never thought anything of them unless someone else mentions it, nor have I ever felt safer walking around one part of the city as opposed to another. *shrugs*

The attitude between folks from each section of the city came come across different, but mostly due to living conditions, schools in SE/NE compared to NW are SLIGHTLY better.

It is an interesting conversation to have with ppl from outside of the city imo.

I don't think there is a huge difference with the exception of the outlook of neighborhoods.
. My friend also lives around 16 & Rittenhouse & i stay a few minutes closer to Downtown off of 16th St. Also, sections of Uptown/NW that were heavily populated by minorities such as Columbia Heights & Mt. Pleasant began the quote-in-quote "gentrification" process over a decade ago.

My family is split up where my grandmother's side hails from UPT (both Columbia Heights & part of Georgetown..i forget the neighborhood but it used to be all black middle class families)
& my grandfather's from 36 & Minnesota so I guess I was exposed to the differences at an early age & have never thought anything of them unless someone else mentions it, nor have I ever felt safer walking around one part of the city as opposed to another. *shrugs*

The attitude between folks from each section of the city came come across different, but mostly due to living conditions, schools in SE/NE compared to NW are SLIGHTLY better.

It is an interesting conversation to have with ppl from outside of the city imo.

Originally Posted by II0II703 RICO ROB

nor have I ever felt safer walking around one part of the city as opposed to another. *shrugs*

ive walked around both NW on numerous occasions, and ive been in SE a few times. i notice the difference.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by II0II703 RICO ROB

nor have I ever felt safer walking around one part of the city as opposed to another. *shrugs*

ive walked around both NW on numerous occasions, and ive been in SE a few times. i notice the difference.
laugh.gif

If you re read my post I never said there was not a difference. I think people notice a difference more at times when they feel a uncomfortable in that particular area or around folks whom seem differently. I suppose I've been conditioned to not think differently in one area if another.

Back
Top Bottom