Question about the difference bewtween Uptown(NorthWest) DC and South East DC..

If you re read my post I never said there was not a difference. I think people notice a difference more at times when they feel a uncomfortable in that particular area or around folks whom seem differently. I suppose I've been conditioned to not think differently in one area if another.

Good info RICO.. it is soo different up there compared to SE/NE in my opinion. Some of the people in UPT are sort of stuck up compared to people down in South East/North East.. As you can see i am not from the city.. Raised mainly in the suburbs (Oxon Hill for 20 year, but currently in Largo), so I am sort of overwhelmed with the surroundings of UPT.. it doesn't feel like DC to me..lol Compared to Southeast.  

Good info RICO.. it is soo different up there compared to SE/NE in my opinion. Some of the people in UPT are sort of stuck up compared to people down in South East/North East.. As you can see i am not from the city.. Raised mainly in the suburbs (Oxon Hill for 20 year, but currently in Largo), so I am sort of overwhelmed with the surroundings of UPT.. it doesn't feel like DC to me..lol Compared to Southeast.  

^yea definitely. but money will make people stuck up.  and i took my gf to the zoo, and driving through woodley park she thought we were in VA.

^yea definitely. but money will make people stuck up.  and i took my gf to the zoo, and driving through woodley park she thought we were in VA.

Originally Posted by II0II703 RICO ROB

The attitude between folks from each section of the city came come across different, but mostly due to living conditions, schools in SE/NE compared to NW are SLIGHTLY better.
LOL Wut?
I agreed with the majority of your post with the exception of this statement, and only am doing so since I'm in school to be a teacher.

The schools located in SE and NE DC are not on par with the majority of the school in NW. As someone who has worked in and has associates from schools in every area of towns, it shows to a certain extent the difference in Education based on where they live.

Although I hate to sound like this in making the claim, children who attend DCPS High Schools in NW and SW (considering the neighborhood for SW is in NW) receive a higher quality education than those in SE and NE.

Why? 

Two words: property value. Many people don't know this but the amount a funding a school received is actually based on property value. Where are the highest levels of property value in DC? The majority of them are NW. Don't take my word for it. Open up a newspaper and do the averages of apartments quadrant by quadrant... or you could just go here and look here

Spoiler [+]
2011_assessment_map_big.jpg

Oh and that change is raising or lowering of property value (source).

Property value sadly is what makes these areas in DC different. The higher the property, the higher the education quality, the higher the resources, typically the higher the exposure to different things (people, cultures, music, etc.). Hope that helps OP

*Edit* Sorry, I was writing a paper on this, so I pretty much just copy and pasted... And raised on North Capital & Tuckerman NW... currently residing on 22nd & Savannah Terrace SE if that matters.

The attitude between folks from each section of the city came come across different, but mostly due to living conditions, schools in SE/NE compared to NW are SLIGHTLY better.
LOL Wut?
I agreed with the majority of your post with the exception of this statement, and only am doing so since I'm in school to be a teacher.

The schools located in SE and NE DC are not on par with the majority of the school in NW. As someone who has worked in and has associates from schools in every area of towns, it shows to a certain extent the difference in Education based on where they live.

Although I hate to sound like this in making the claim, children who attend DCPS High Schools in NW and SW (considering the neighborhood for SW is in NW) receive a higher quality education than those in SE and NE.

Why? 

Two words: property value. Many people don't know this but the amount a funding a school received is actually based on property value. Where are the highest levels of property value in DC? The majority of them are NW. Don't take my word for it. Open up a newspaper and do the averages of apartments quadrant by quadrant... or you could just go here and look here

Spoiler [+]
2011_assessment_map_big.jpg

Oh and that change is raising or lowering of property value (source).

Property value sadly is what makes these areas in DC different. The higher the property, the higher the education quality, the higher the resources, typically the higher the exposure to different things (people, cultures, music, etc.). Hope that helps OP

*Edit* Sorry, I was writing a paper on this, so I pretty much just copy and pasted... And raised on North Capital & Tuckerman NW... currently residing on 22nd & Savannah Terrace SE if that matters.

Originally Posted by RamZs8906

this statement pretty much ends the the thread

actually had the opportunity to live on both sides of the city and have to say that this is very true not only for DC, but for any other city in the country..

NW > SE

but then again, those that were raised in SE think otherwise...

this statement pretty much ends the the thread

actually had the opportunity to live on both sides of the city and have to say that this is very true not only for DC, but for any other city in the country..

NW > SE

but then again, those that were raised in SE think otherwise...

Damn Ramz you know what i meant lol. Reverse that statement NW > SE/NE

Damn Ramz you know what i meant lol. Reverse that statement NW > SE/NE

To me i think its that SE is more "hood" or urban than Uptown(NW)
Idk if its me tho, but when i drive through SE on certain days i notice the difference almost immediately
NW is like a brighter version of SE
As dude said above, the property value is what most differentiates NW from SE
Higher = Richer & Lower = Poorer

To me i think its that SE is more "hood" or urban than Uptown(NW)
Idk if its me tho, but when i drive through SE on certain days i notice the difference almost immediately
NW is like a brighter version of SE
As dude said above, the property value is what most differentiates NW from SE
Higher = Richer & Lower = Poorer

Born and raised in NE and NW (KDY and Michigan Park/ 12th St) there is a major difference. UPT people are bred different. Southside is ruthless. I went to school on Southside and there are place that I use to frequent (Southern Ave, MLK, Minnasota, The Farms, Simple City) that I would not be caught dead in today. SE people look at how we dress and get hungry...we tend to have more and there mindset is different. Girls are a little faster and dudes are a little more aggressive. The hardest hood in UPT ain't got nothing on the hardest hood in SE/SW.

Born and raised in NE and NW (KDY and Michigan Park/ 12th St) there is a major difference. UPT people are bred different. Southside is ruthless. I went to school on Southside and there are place that I use to frequent (Southern Ave, MLK, Minnasota, The Farms, Simple City) that I would not be caught dead in today. SE people look at how we dress and get hungry...we tend to have more and there mindset is different. Girls are a little faster and dudes are a little more aggressive. The hardest hood in UPT ain't got nothing on the hardest hood in SE/SW.

Originally Posted by MJ All Day45

What do you mean? So you like UPT in general?

Originally Posted by MJ All Day45

What do you mean? So you like UPT in general?

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

Originally Posted by bigtomgetsgwap

it's not that different we all from the same city...but whole time the city is changing the white folks are moving in

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
  @ the ignorance.
I mean it isn't the most eloquently stated or well thought out post in the history of Niketalk (especially given that the white part is more of an inconsequential fact than the cause of change) but that isn't entirely off base either.

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

Originally Posted by bigtomgetsgwap

it's not that different we all from the same city...but whole time the city is changing the white folks are moving in

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
  @ the ignorance.
I mean it isn't the most eloquently stated or well thought out post in the history of Niketalk (especially given that the white part is more of an inconsequential fact than the cause of change) but that isn't entirely off base either.

I'm from SE.

It's almost like Harlem / Brooklyn if you're familiar with NYC.

Uptown = Harlem

SE = Brooklyn

I'm from SE.

It's almost like Harlem / Brooklyn if you're familiar with NYC.

Uptown = Harlem

SE = Brooklyn

Back
Top Bottom