Questions for Nters who graduated from college with mediocre majors

Hey i have a few question for those of you who graduated from college with majors such as

Sociology, Biology, Art, Communication, Environmental studies, Psychology, Political Science, History, etc. I know there are a tons more of these less difficult majors that i may not list here.

Anyway.

Did you land a decent job with these majors? If so what jobs did you get? Is what you do related to what you learned in school at all? Are you making okay money to live comfortable? I'm talking 40K and up.

It seem like outside of Law, Medical, Engineer, Computer majors. Where you actually have to learn. Every other major to me is just "for show". A hustle for the paper in the end that say you earn a "insert" degree.

Feel free to discuss. I want to know if college is worthy to go back.

Last edited:
...and you do realize that Political Science prepares people for Law, and that Biology prepares people for Medicine, right?

the question wasnt directed at me (got a business admin degree myself) but ill answer anyways.

i dont know if id call those "unpopular" majors. I see and hear of a ton of kids who graduate with those types of degrees. i think its difficult to monetize those types of degrees because you really dont have any marketable skills that employers want to pay for. In some cases, you have to pursue further education in those fields to acquire said skills. take for instance psychology. wtheck are you going to do with a bachelors in psych? who is going to hire a psych grad in that line of work? I have to imagine you need atleast a masters in psych to be practicing in any capacity.

...and you do realize that Political Science prepares people for Law, and that Biology prepares people for Medicine, right?

Of course. But majoring in Political Science doesn't mean you'll have to go in to Law. Neither is majoring in Bio mean you'll have to go into Medicine. My buddy is a marine science grad. He majored in biology science while in school lol. Dude is 29 and still havent land a real job yet

Last edited:
the question wasnt directed at me (got a business admin degree myself) but ill answer anyways.
i dont know if id call those "unpopular" majors. I see and hear of a ton of kids who graduate with those types of degrees. i think its difficult to monetize those types of degrees because you really dont have any marketable skills that employers want to pay for. In some cases, you have to pursue further education in those fields to acquire said skills. take for instance psychology. wtheck are you going to do with a bachelors in psych? who is going to hire a psych grad in that line of work? I have to imagine you need atleast a masters in psych to be practicing in any capacity.

Well i think i used the wrong word when i say unpopular. What i meant is exactly what you just said. These majors are not usually meant for making $. I just want to know if people with those majors obtain any ok job at all.

Last edited:
It seem like outside of Law, Medical, Engineer, Computer majors. Where you actually have to learn. Every other major to me is just "for show". A hustle for the paper in the end that say you earn a "insert" degree.

Feel free to discuss. I want to know if college is worthy to go back.
So basically, if you don't have a degree in law, medicine, engineering.. you don't have to learn?

And "less difficult" is relative. I know people with history and English degrees who struggled with math or science... and those who were great in math/science but couldn't write a paper or form a coherent argument to save their life.

So basically, if you don't have a degree in law, medicine, engineering.. you don't have to learn?

And "less difficult" is relative. I know people with history and English degrees who struggled with math or science... and those who were great in math/science but couldn't write a paper or form a coherent argument to save their life.

Hmm what? Where did i say you don't have to learn? I said it's not as serious as compare to Law , Medical or engineer. Where you actually apply what you learned and know what you learned

As far as what you said about people with english degree who struggle in math or science etc. That has nothing to do with my questions. And I think it's okay to assume that people with English degree are usually work as writer/teacher. Why the hell do they have to know how to do a equation/root of 5 math equation?

My question is for those with similar major in my OG post. Did you land any decent job at all?

Last edited:
I don't think there's any such thing as a mediocre or useless major. It may not be a popular major but certainly not as worthless as some will have you think. I know a chick who graduated with a psychology major and is now a financial analyst at the bank. Another friend of mine graduated with a 3.8gpa as a biology major but decided to do his masters in finance. A lot of people end up working in fields unrelated to their major, whether by choice or not.

just cuz people arent raking in dough after school doesnt mean their major was easy...

english? all that reading... all those books...

communications? if you aint about that speaking life, it might be a wrap...

i got a marketing degree... subpar?

maybe... but it can take me many places... plus, it helped me in dealing with selling myself and different things to people...

how to put together business proposals, start businesses, analyze markets...

trying to get this marketing/fiance 1-2 punch going...

:pimp: :pimp:

Of course. But majoring in Political Science doesn't mean you'll have to go in to Law. Neither is majoring in Bio mean you'll have to go into Medicine. My buddy is a marine science grad. He majored in biology science while in school lol. Dude is 29 and still havent land a real job yet

It all depends on how ambitious the person is. With a science degree such as Bio you could go into research, teaching or pursue medicine, pharmacy, dentistry etc.. For example you could do lab research and then upon graduating use those connections to land a lab tech job or an assistant for a research professor. It's really up to the person to either go into the fields of work that these degrees are designed for. But don't go bashing the degrees because the people you know with them are either unmotivated or decide to do otherwise with their lives

Last edited:
It all depends on how ambitious the person is. With a science degree such as Bio you could go into research, teaching or pursue medicine, pharmacy, dentistry etc.. It's really up to the person to either go into the fields of work that these degrees are designed for. But don't go bashing the degrees because the people you know with them are either unmotivated or decide to do otherwise with their lives

LOl i didn't bash them. I simply asked did any of you land a decent job with those majors? Wow you dudes are starting to go off track now

Last edited:
I'm in Business Management and graduating this year. The only job offers i'll get are some crappy retail salesman job or selling insurance. I need to get a good internship this spring and apply to grad schools.

Oh....You mean when they have to  "hustle" out that "easy" 500 page Thesis right?  You do realize a good number of major players in this world have had those majors. Making way more than your 40k standard of living
laugh.gif

These majors are not usually meant for making $. I just want to know if people with those majors obtain any ok job at all.

just cuz people arent raking in dough after school doesnt mean their major was easy...
english? all that reading... all those books...
communications? if you aint about that speaking life, it might be a wrap...
i got a marketing degree... subpar?
maybe... but it can take me many places... plus, it helped me in dealing with selling myself and different things to people...
how to put together business proposals, start businesses, analyze markets...
trying to get this marketing/fiance 1-2 punch going...
:pimp: :pimp:

Great. Are you getting paid though? That's the real question buddy.

majored in graphic design...
had to go through being unemployed and a bunch of no end jobs but i ended up working for wells fargo (obviously doing something completely different than what i majored in).

getting $$$ now.:D

fk a degree it takes prayer and having faith, IMO.

Oh....You mean when they have to  "hustle" out that "easy" 500 page Thesis right?  You do realize a good number of major players in this world have had those majors. Making way more than your 40k standard of living :lol:

Who are they? List some name and some facts. Otherwise stop fronting. 500 pages thesis paper? You did it for what? lol Is your current job require that now? I don't think so.

Last edited:
i was a comm major and happy with my marketing job at Amazon right now

it's all about experience - don't sit around in college..get internships/jobs

Back
Top Bottom