Questions for Nters who graduated from college with mediocre majors

So basically you are asking if anybody has had any success landing a well paying job with a "useless" major right? I assume you're asking because you don't want to major in something that is difficult yet you want a high paying job. Judging by your attitude and level of intelligence based off of this thread I would recommend you just attend a trade school because a four program doesn't seem appropriate for someone like yourself.

Last edited:
i graduated with communications and dont make that much but i blame my lack of internships and networking in college and not my major
me too, graduated with a communications degree too. No internships and didn't network since i went to a commuter school so I was pretty much in and out of school. I do have a job but I don't make that much money. I'm thinking of going back to school to get my Masters in Finance.

OP needs to go back to high school and learn how to construct coherent sentences before even considering higher education.

How can we expect to have intelligent and insightful conversation when the thread starter is clueless about the matters he brought up himself? :smh:

Personally, I find it really sickening how society, in general, elevates certain academic disciplines while relegating others. The STEM majors should not be the end all, be all in academia. To suggest anything remotely similar is ignorant; it is to deny and insult that range of collective genius--which is undoubtedly critical to a healthy society, locally and globally-- existing outside and beyond the sphere that is the STEM disciplines.

We need artists just as much as we need engineers and/or doctors.

How can we expect to have intelligent and insightful conversation when the thread starter is clueless about the matters he brought up himself?
mean.gif

Personally, I find it really sickening how society, in general, elevates certain academic disciplines while relegating others. The STEM majors should not be the end all, be all in academia. To suggest anything remotely similar is ignorant; it is to deny and insult that range of collective genius--which is undoubtedly critical to a healthy society, locally and globally-- existing outside and beyond the sphere that is the STEM disciplines.

tumblr_lby14flfIh1qd87hqo1_500.gif

How can we expect to have intelligent and insightful conversation when the thread starter is clueless about the matters he brought up himself? :smh:

tumblr_lby14flfIh1qd87hqo1_500.gif

So basically you are asking if anybody has had any success landing a well paying job with a "useless" major right? I assume you're asking because you don't want to major in something that is difficult yet you want a high paying job. Judging by your attitude and level of intelligence based off of this thread I would recommend you just attend a trade school because a four program doesn't seem appropriate for someone like yourself.
all of this ...

Homey trying to go that sladewilson route.

Dude needs to minor in English because his grammar is horrible. He leaves out the "s" in most of his words and can't even form coherent sentences.

You sound like an Asian dad. You're basically assuming the "unpopular" majors are useless already with all of your nonsense rebuttals in this thread. "You no do major in Engineer, you make no money boy, you get out!"

Ya'll best remember that it depends on your school and exactly how well you do in your major too. I don't know the exact #'s, but a certain portion of those in the work field don't even work for something that is classified as pertaining to their major. For instance, a mathematics major can easily slide into the computer science field, due to the relationship and thinking between the two (cognitive science and quantitive thinking). The same thing with theatre, if you're a theatre major, people think of a literal theatre (broadway, small venues, etc.). Does that mean you're stuck in theatre? Not necessarily. What if, you were in a mock-trial organization, as well as a chair for the Associated Student Org on campus? Well, you've raked in some communication and public speech skills. Apply your theatre abilities, and suddenly, you've polished yourself into a wonderful salesperson or spokesperson. 

If you go to a random school and study business, there's a good chance companies will give you the 
eyes.gif

But if you went to Berkeley, studied at the Haas school of business, survived with a average (in some cases even below average), then landing a middle value job is cake 
wink.gif

There are so many variables to consider. As you said, you have a friend in Marine Biology, maybe it isn't the degree that's the issue--maybe it's the way the degree was utilized. I don't mean to diss, but I'm only explaining different scenarios that can play out. 

General consensus though considers majors that fall under the Sciences, Mathematics, Computers, Engineering, Business, and Law as the more "prestigious" majors. Which is why, more often you hear of an unemployed English major as opposed to a Engineering major. However, once again, variables come into play, and certainly, a Engineering/Mathematics double major can be out of a job while a English/Linguistics double major is raking in 6 digits. 

IMO, be true to yourself. If you really like something, go with it, and make something out of it. It'll be better than watching you struggle in electrical engineering. 

I graduated with a communications degree (journalism) and am entry level at Sports Illustrated...My boss makes close to 600,000 a yr I'd say, and if I follow his path, that job should be mine someday :smokin

:lol:... OP has a real smug attitude.

By OP's standards, I have a "useless" and "mediocre" degree. Feels Batman...

In all seriousness, what I learned from my undergrad experience is that it's all about networking and how motivated you are in what you want to do.

I know someone who graduated from Berkeley with a degree Ethnic Studies (useless right?), went on to do research at Harvard, got his Masters in finance from the University of Chicago, and just finished up his Ph.D from Oxford. He runs his own investment firm making at least 500 K. I also know someone who has their B.S. in EECS (Also, from Berkeley) and is now a teacher. The important thing here is that they are both happy. A lot of NT'ers already mentioned it, but your degree doesn't necessarily dictate what field or career you go into.

Last edited:
I think what OP was trying to ask was how have those who've graduated with degrees with such vast levels of divisions of jobs(you know how many jobs there in bus admin?)  managed after graduation. I'm sure there is a lot of 2012 grads regretting their degrees or how they managed time in college. ALWAYS look for a intership within the first two years of college so you can have an idea of what actual JOBS you want to use your degree with.

A lot of people just go to college with the vauge idea that as long as they have a degree in a field, they will instantly find a job. Doesn't work that way and as a result you have in debt ill-prepared young adults with no direction. College should understand that while it is the students responsiblity to discover what they want to do and how they intend on doing it, Cousleors should devise was to help students BE ON TRACK(not saying baby them, but at least provide some help)

Its a sad thing to see young adults just waste their education with no plan. Your degree means nothing unless you have a plan. Same way you had a plan B if you didn't get into your favorite college, have a plan b on what to do with your degree if you can't instantly find a job in your field. Most people either stay unemployed and further collect debt(THIS IS WHEN YOUR INTEREST ON YOUR STUDENT LOANS STARTS TO DO ITS WORK) or go to grad school and collect more debt or work basic jobs until you can get a job in your field(some people never escape this and end up being college grads managing Walmart or Cellphone stands)

Sorry for the long text, but as a college student, word of advice, PLEASE MAKE A PLAN ASAP, TALK TO YOUR PARENTS AND MAKE A PLAN, TALK TO YOUR COUNSELOR AND MAKE A PLAN, TALK TO THE HEAD OF YOUR MAJOR'S DEPARTMENT AND MAKE A PLAN. PLAN PLAN PLAN. YOU DON'T WANT TO BE AN EDUCATED BROKE PERSON IN DEBT UNEMPLOYED OR WORKING JOBS UNRELATED TO YOUR FIELD. GET ON TRACK.

Didn't know we had so many NTers that were in communications. I got my degree in May, had a few internships and a lot of good portfolio building experiences in my 4 years, now I'm trying to get a job in media relations or ad sales. Planning is important much like Dasonofceo said above me. I'm a living testament of planning, or lack thereof, the two plans I had didn't work out like I thought and now I'm scrambling to find employment. I chalk it up as a learning experience and luckily my mother has been understanding and has allowed me to move back home.

OP there are some majors that SEEM "mediocre," but it's all what you make out of it partna. Get a niche or a specialty and watch the doors open.

Last edited:
So basically you are asking if anybody has had any success landing a well paying job with a "useless" major right? I assume you're asking because you don't want to major in something that is difficult yet you want a high paying job.

ha, he wants the live large without having to put in the time to earn it. my cousin went a hoidy toidy cooking school cuz he wanted to be a chef. when he graduated he got pissed that he had to put in years and years of chopping vegetables and work his way up and develop a name for himself before he could become a celebrity chef on like Bobby Flay or Wolfgang Puck overnight.

I graduated with a communications degree (journalism) and am entry level at Sports Illustrated...My boss makes close to 600,000 a yr I'd say, and if I follow his path, that job should be mine someday
smokin.gif
That's what's up. Still waiting to hear back from them regarding an internship/temp gig I applied for, but I haven't heard anything yet. Put in a good word for me
wink.gif
j/k.

SuperAntigen made a great point that has been echoed by many in academia including a former professor of mine. You'd be turning higher education into trade school if you pushed everyone towards STEM and business.

In all seriousness, what I learned from my undergrad experience is that it's all about networking and how motivated you are in what you want to do.
I know someone who graduated from Berkeley with a degree Ethnic Studies (useless right?), went on to do research at Harvard, got his Masters in finance from the University of Chicago, and just finished up his Ph.D from Oxford. He runs his own investment firm making at least 500 K. I also know someone who has their B.S. in EECS (Also, from Berkeley) and is now a teacher. The important thing here is that they are both happy. A lot of NT'ers already mentioned it, but your degree doesn't necessarily dictate what field or career you go into.
Ethinic studies? Was hea brotha?

Also, how old is old was he before he got things rolling?d

Radio, TV, Film major checking in here. Been working in sports radio for five years now. I like it. Pay isnt that great right now, and its a shrinking industry, but its cool.

Just started grad school this semester.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP sounds really uneducated and has no grasp of the reality of college. Yes some majors make more money then others, but at least people are majoring in what they want. Not what society and economics deems are important. I myself was a mechcanical engineering major (Class of 08), and I still think my friends that majored in english and our teachers are way better off then me. Yes a good pay check is nice, but sometimes the rewards of working is more then just a paycheck.

OP sounds really uneducated and has no grasp of the reality of college. Yes some majors make more money then others, but at least people are majoring in what they want. Not what society and economics deems are important. I myself was a mechcanical engineering major (Class of 08), and I still think my friends that majored in english and our teachers are way better off then me. Yes a good pay check is nice, but sometimes the rewards of working is more then just a paycheck.
He just didn't properly get to the point, I don't think hes uneducated.

Ethinic studies? Was hea brotha?

Also, how old is old was he before he got things rolling?d

Naw, he's Ecuadorian. He was born and raised in the Bronx. Went the CC route. Ended up at Cal. He put it in work at Berkeley, straight 4.0 I think. He did a couple of internships and always kept in contact with professors (Letters of Rec) that as soon as he was done at Cal, he went straight to the Harvard research program.

you are missing OP's point

(using your ethnic studies friend as an example) OP was basically asking if someone like that could use their degree to find a job in that field (not sure what type of jobs there are in the ethnic studies field). I think he wanted to know how difficult it was for them to find a job in their respective field of study, compared to STEM majors finding jobs in their respective fields. In your example, your friend either couldnt find work in that field or s/he decided to go a different path (finance) which did lead to a career in that respective field (masters + phd in finance ----> investment firm).

I personally dont think degrees in liberal arts is worthless, it just may not be the best degree if your only goal is to MAKE MONEY. Studying comm, psych, english lit, whatever might bring the person more self enrichment than job offers, and there is nothing wrong with that (in fact, its a damn good thing).

Not at undergrad, but at the Masters and PhD level you'll probably get close to that. Its years worth of work, so its not that bad.

Also OP, if you've been paying attention to the employment numbers and various articles exposing skewed statistics used by law schools, everything isn't gravy on that side either.

Bio definitely isn't a mediocre major. Look at how many pre med majors drop from the program after the first semester/year.
Agreed bio degrees are far from mediocre lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom