Questions for Nters who graduated from college with mediocre majors

It comes down to skills.

What do you have that everyone else does not?

And yes, there are some skills that are far more exclusive and harder to acquire than others.

STEM fields put you at a GREAT advantage when we're speaking on this.

If you're a STEM major that can write? Well you're golden. 

Last edited:
i wish i could find something to be passionate about besides sports..at this point in my life i really couldn't care less about school besides finishing on time, and i can't really find myself doing something i love except smoking.Smh.
Ever consider Sports Journalism, Sports Management, or PR with a sports firm?

ESPN has a plethora of different jobs offered. Bristol and NYC.

The thing is that ESPN isn't really hiring as far as writing goes. If he is good at writing, he should start blogging on his own and try to get on with SB Nation and at worst, Bleacher Report :x . ESPN is going after tech and production right now. Regarding sports journalism in general, very few bloggers make it to the big time and those that do had a niche to them. Sports journalism starts at the college level writing for your school paper. These guys aren't looking at you if you've never had a byline.

I will argue against going after a Sports Management degree because its so specific. It is better to get a business degree and minor in Sports Management so you can work them in tandem. My alma mater has one of the top SPM programs in the nation and most people start out in the industry by selling tickets. That industry is an industry in which you truly pay your dues and if you do not have the patience you will not make it especially clocking 30K/year to start.

The thing is that ESPN isn't really hiring as far as writing goes. If he is good at writing, he should start blogging on his own and try to get on with SB Nation and at worst, Bleacher Report
sick.gif
. ESPN is going after tech and production right now. Regarding sports journalism in general, very few bloggers make it to the big time and those that do had a niche to them. Sports journalism starts at the college level writing for your school paper. These guys aren't looking at you if you've never had a byline.
I will argue against going after a Sports Management degree because its so specific. It is better to get a business degree and minor in Sports Management so you can work them in tandem. My alma mater has one of the top SPM programs in the nation and most people start out in the industry by selling tickets. That industry is an industry in which you truly pay your dues and if you do not have the patience you will not make it especially clocking 30K/year to start.
sounds good...i mean it's sounds pretty good. and who's your alma mater?

I honestly wonder why so many people are so interested in working for sports teams or sports journalism like that.

It doesn't pay that well and its really kinda not that interesting. I mean sure you're on the inside of everything, but you're handling any money and all you do is get to be close to players. Do a little marketing here, run a few events there. I mean are there really that many opportunities to grow there? It just sounds like people are too unwilling to let go of pro-athlete dreams.

Not trying to take away from anyone's dreams...I just wonder what it is that people get out of wanting to work for the NFL or NBA so much. Is it that serious? 

Last edited:
I honestly wonder why so many people are so interested in working for sports teams or sports journalism like that.

It doesn't pay that well and its really kinda not that interesting. I mean sure you're on the inside of everything, but you're handling any money and all you do is get to be close to players. Do a little marketing here, run a few events there. I mean are there really that many opportunities to grow there? It just sounds like people are too unwilling to let go of pro-athlete dreams.

Not trying to take away from anyone's dreams...I just wonder what it is that people get out of wanting to work for the NFL or NBA so much. Is it that serious? 

The other thing people don't realize is that a lot of these sports teams are run like family businesses. If you aren't the green bay packers the owner is a private citizen who has nieces, nephews, sons, daughters...who all want to work in the family business. A good friend of mine got into sports management and worked for two NFL teams. He eventually got out of the business because he felt like he couldn't advance because the people getting the jobs he wanted were family or networking contacts of the owner.

My undergrad degree is in marketing, my masters when I finish here will be in Film and Television production.

Op said **** my life.

I was making a modest 43k a year before I quit to go back to school.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom