Questions for Nters who graduated from college with mediocre majors

So basically, if you don't have a degree in law, medicine, engineering.. you don't have to learn?

And "less difficult" is relative. I know people with history and English degrees who struggled with math or science... and those who were great in math/science but couldn't write a paper or form a coherent argument to save their life.
Hmm what? Where did i say you don't have to learn? I said it's not as serious as compare to Law , Medical or engineer. Where you actually apply what you learned and know what you learned

As far as what you said about people with english degree who struggle in math or science etc. That has nothing to do with my questions. And I think it's okay to assume that people with English degree are usually work as writer/teacher. Why the hell do they have to know how to do a equation/root of 5 math equation?

My question is for those with similar major in my OG post. Did you land any decent job at all?
Originally Posted by ACBboyz84  

It seem like outside of Law, Medical, Engineer, Computer majors. Where you actually have to learn.  
By saying "where you actually have to learn", you're implying you don't actually have to learn in other majors. That's where you said it.

And yes, it actually does have something to do with your questions. Your questions are based off of "less difficult" majors, but some might really struggle with doing the "easy" things a history or English major does regularly... just the same as English/history might have struggled in math courses. You're also comparing these to law or medicine, which are subjects that require another degree and extra years of schooling. Of course a bachelors in psychology would be easier than becoming a lawyer or doctor. People can get their PhD in these "less difficult" majors as well that require more schooling. 

Last edited:
majored in graphic design...
had to go through being unemployed and a bunch of no end jobs but i ended up working for wells fargo (obviously doing something completely different than what i majored in).
getting $$$ now.:D
fk a degree it takes prayer and having faith, IMO.

That's whats up bro. I think that the degree gets you in the door for certain jobs, meaning without a BA you're automatically eliminated from many decent paying jobs. I graduated in May 2011 with a degree in English Writing on a journalism track from the Univ. of Pittsburgh. I work at a publishing company making 33-35k a year. Definitely not satisfied with that amount, but I feel blessed and lucky, especially 1 year after graduating, to have a decent job with decent pay.

Change your thread title OP, you rustled some people's jimmies.

Psych major here, hoping to get useful information.

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Who are them? List some name and some facts. Otherwise stop fronting. 500 pages thesis paper? Thus i said it's a hustle dude. Im sure that 500 pages thesis doens't apply to the job you're doing now. LOL you got tricked into paying student loan for your Enlish major huh?
Famous English Majors

Alan Alda - actor, writer

Russell Baker - journalist

Dave Barry - humorist, writer, actor

Joy Behar--writer, comedienne, co-host "The View"

Linda Bloodworth-Thomason - television writer/ producer

Carol Browner - Head of the Environmental Protection Agency

Edward Burns-actor, director, producer, writer

Brett Butler--actress, writer, comedienne

James Cameron--director, editor, producer, screenwriter ("Titanic")

Chevy Chase - comedian, actor, writer

Mario Cuomo - Governor of New York

Joan Cusack--actress

Matt Damon--actor, screenwriter

Vin Diesel-actor, director, producer, screenwriter

David Duchovny-actor "X-Files"

Michael Eisner - Walt Disney CEO

Harrison Ford-actor

Jodi Foster - actress, filmmaker

Kathryn Fuller - World Wildlife Fund CEO

A. Bartlett Giamatti - President, Yale University and Commissioner of Baseball

Heather Graham--actress, model

Cathy Guisewite - cartoonist (Cathy)

Mary Hart--co-host "Entertainment Tonight"

Don Henley of "The Eagles"--singer, songwriter, musician, environmental activist

Chris Isaak - songwriter, singer

Famke Janssen--actress, model

Tommy Lee Jones-actor

Catherine Keener--actress

Stephen King - novelist

Kris Krisofferson--singer, songwriter, musician, actor

Paul Newman - actor, food entrepreneur

Conan O'Brien-talk show host, writer

Randy Owen of "Alabama"--singer, songwriter, musician

Joe Paterno - football coach, Penn State

David Hyde Pierce--actor "Frasier"

Christopher Reeve--actor, writer, director

Sally Ride - astronaut

Geoffrey Rush--actor, director, playwright, musician

Susan Sarandon--actress

Fred Savage--actor "The Wonder Years"

Diane Sawyer - broadcast journalist

Martin Scorsese--director

Paul Simon - songwriter, singer

Marty Shottenheimer - head Coach, San Diego Chargers

Steven Spielberg - filmmaker

Sting--singer, songwriter, musician, actor, environmental activist

Brandon Tartikoff - television executive

Clarence Thomas - U.S. Supreme Court Justice

Emma Thompson--actress, producer, screenwriter

Grant Tinker - TV Executive and Producer

Barbara Walters - broadcast journalist

Sigourney Weaver - actress

Pete Wilson - Former governor of California

Reese Witherspoon--actress

Bob Woodward - journalist writer (All the President’s Men)

James Van Der Beek-actor "Dawson's Creek"

Harold Varmus - Nobel laureate in medicine, Director of National Institute of Health

Renee Zellweger--actress

Comm Majors
  • John Quincy Adams taught rhetoric at Harvard
  • Michael Adams - President of University of Georgia; Ph.D in rhetoric from Ohio State
  • Ray Allen, Jr. - dropped out after 3 years
  • Evan Bayh - Indiana Senator; studied debate and other communication-related courses at Indiana University
  • David Boreanaz - actor from Angel
  • Brooke Burke
  • Brandi Chastain - soccer player; Santa Clara University
  • Connie Chung - television news reporter/anchor
  • Bob Costas - television news host
  • William Lane Craig - philosopher / theologian; Wheaton College
  • Walter Cronkite - University of Texas
  • Dawn Fratangelo - television news reporter; Mass Media major from Plattsburgh State University of New York
  • James Gandolfini - actor; Rutgers university
  • **** Gephardt - politician; debater; degree from Northwestern University (speech)
  • John Gray - author; Ph.D. from Columbia Pacific University
  • Christine Gregoire - Attorney General for the state of Washington; BA in speech from University of Washington
  • Brad Grey
  • Peter Hart - reporter (FAIR); Rutgers University
  • Hugh Heffner - publisher; communication or journalism (?) degree from University of Illinois
  • Jonathan Hillerman - actor
  • William Inge - playwright; University of Kansas
  • Hugh Jackman - actor
  • Earvin "Magic" Johnson - basketball player; Michigan State
  • Lyndon Johnson taught Public Speaking at Southwest Texas State University
  • Lady Bird Johnson - University of Texas
  • Ted Koppel - Nightline host; BA in speech from Syracuse University; MA in Mass Communication
  • Dennis Kuicinich - presidential candidate (congressman from Ohio)
  • Brian Lamb - CEO of C-SPAN
  • Gary Larson - The Far Side cartoonist; BA from University of Washington
  • Matt Lauer - Today Show host; BA from Ohio University
  • Spike Lee - actor/director; Indiana University
  • David Letterman - Late Night host; Ball State University
  • Barry Levinson - director
  • Matthew ?McConaughy - actor; not confirmed; University of Texas at Austin (or RTF)
  • Mark ?McGrath - lead singer for Sugar Ray; BA from University of Southern California
  • Donovan ?McNabb - quarterback for Philadelphia Eagles; comm. degree from Syracuse University
  • Joyce Mallick - opera star; University of Kansas
  • Nicholas Meyer - screenwriter / author / director; Ph.D. from University of Iowa
  • Dennis Miller - comedian / satirist
  • Newton Minow - former FCC Chair; Northwestern University
  • Edmund Muskie - debater at Bates College
  • Michele Norris
  • Jane Pauley - television news anchor; Indiana University
  • Brad Pitt - actor; not confirmed
  • Dan Rather - CBS Evening News anchor; journalism degree from University of Texas at Austin
  • Andrea Rich - Director of LACMA; former professor at UCLA
  • John Riggins
  • Meg Ryan - actress; studied journalism at NYU
  • David St. Peter - U. of North Dakota grad; President of Minnesota Twins
  • Rod Simmons - wrestler; "Faarooq" in the WWE
  • Howard Stern - radio personality
  • Sandur Vanocur - television news reporter; Northwestern University
  • Kurt Warner - St. Louis Rams quarterback; University of Northern Iowa
  • Denzel Washington - actor
  • Tennessee Williams - playwright; University of Iowa (Master's?)
  • "Weird Al" Yankovic was involved in the forensics team at Cal Poly
  • Renee Zellweger - actress
  • Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - wrestler and actor; U. of Miami
  • Mary Beth Hurt - actress; U. of Iowa
  • Linda Carlson - actress seen in some TV sitcoms; U. of Iowa
  • Bruce French - actor often seen in character parts on both TV and in movies; U. of Iowa
  • Greg Morris - actor in the original Mission Impossible series; U. of Iowa
  • Chris Isaak - Singer and actor; University of the Pacific.
  • Brian Lamb - CEO of C-SPAN; Purdue
  • Jay Leno; Emerson College
  • Howard Stern; Boston University's School of Communication *William Safire; Syracuse University
  • Gene Wilder: comedic actor. BA 1955, Communication Arts and Theatre. University of Iowa.
  • Richard Maibaum: screenwriter & producer who wrote 13 James Bond scripts/films. BA 1931, MA 1937, Communication Arts & Theatre, University of Iowa.
  • BJ Armstrong: basketball player, Chicago Bulls, won three championships. BA 1989, Communication Studies, University of Iowa.
  • Robert Olen Butler, Jr.: 1993 Pultizer Prize for Fiction. MA 1969, Communication Arts & Theatre, University of Iowa.
  • Kenny Mayne, ESPN Sports Anchor, BA, Communication Studies, University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
  • Barry Kemp: Executuve Producer for several TV shows including "Coach" and "Newhart." BA, 1971, Communication Arts and Theatre, University of Iowa.
  • Chris Farley, theater, Marquette University
  • David Franz (NYPD Blue), theater, Southern Illinois University
  • Harry Smith, co-anchor of CBS This Morning and host of "Biography" on the History Channel Communication and Theatre major from Central College, Pella, Iowa
  • Chris Hansen, now a lead reporter for Dateline NBC; Communication major at Michigan State University

Is this good enough? Not tryna "hustle" you into Reading too much.
eyes.gif

Last edited:
i was a comm major and happy with my marketing job at Amazon right now
it's all about experience - don't sit around in college..get internships/jobs
The most important thing said in this thread.

Talk about a thread backfire for OP. Just because you aren't a STEM major doesn't mean you are poised for failure. As stated before, there are a lot of major players out there who graduated with liberal arts degrees and communications degrees. Just have to put your work in.

BigJ33 also did a great job in arguing his side.

everybody got a bull- **** -i-cal science degree in dc. they all do government affairs work. decent salaries some making 50K +. maybe not right out of school but within 2 or 3 years.

500 pages thesis tho? :x :x .Im in highschool and barely have trouble writing a 8 page research paper lol

sick.gif

500 pages thesis tho?  
sick.gif
.Im in highschool and barely have trouble writing a 8 page research paper lol
Not at undergrad, but at the Masters and PhD level you'll probably get close to that. Its years worth of work, so its not that bad.

Also OP, if you've been paying attention to the employment numbers and various articles exposing skewed statistics used by law schools, everything isn't gravy on that side either.

Bio definitely isn't a mediocre major. Look at how many pre med majors drop from the program after the first semester/year.

Last edited:
i was a comm major and happy with my marketing job at Amazon right now
it's all about experience - don't sit around in college..get internships/jobs
The most important thing said in this thread.

Talk about a thread backfire for OP. Just because you aren't a STEM major doesn't mean you are poised for failure. As stated before, there are a lot of major players out there who graduated with liberal arts degrees and communications degrees. Just have to put your work in.

BigJ33 also did a great job in arguing his side.

I think OP's point is really mis-stated and is worded really poorly.....I'm a biomedical engineering and french major, and this is probably one of the more difficult undergrad majors out there, but other majors outside of STEM aren't "mediocre". Its just that STEM fields TYPICALLY will have better job prospects than more liberal arts related fields like English, Comm, Poli Sci (unless you go to law school). It's probably a little harder to get your foot in the door with degrees in those areas but thats a factor of the economy right now mostly. Truth be told, 98% of the people in my bioe classes look down at everybody else especially Arts and Science majors because they think they don't do anything...now there is some truth to them not maybe having to do as much work/hw/projects as we may have to, but these same people looking down on other majors can't write a damn paper to save their lives, and some of the oral presentations I've watched have been soooo garbage by engineers, so different skill sets are critical. Comm. or English Lit majors may not do well with Calc III, Biochemistry, or Artificial Organs classes but there's a reason they bring in people from those departments to help us when its time for oral presentations or technical writing projects, because thats where STEM majors struggle mostly.

One isn't better than the other, its just STEM fields tend to have higher salaries for recent grads comparatively, but money isn't the only way to measure success....hell some social workers don't make anything hardly and they can have much more of a tangible impact on society than a lot of STEM majors.

i graduated with communications and dont make that much but i blame my lack of internships and networking in college and not my major

I think OP's point is really mis-stated and is worded really poorly.....I'm a biomedical engineering and french major, and this is probably one of the more difficult undergrad majors out there, but other majors outside of STEM aren't "mediocre". Its just that STEM fields TYPICALLY will have better job prospects than more liberal arts related fields like English, Comm, Poli Sci (unless you go to law school). It's probably a little harder to get your foot in the door with degrees in those areas but thats a factor of the economy right now mostly. Truth be told, 98% of the people in my bioe classes look down at everybody else especially Arts and Science majors because they think they don't do anything...now there is some truth to them not maybe having to do as much work/hw/projects as we may have to, but these same people looking down on other majors can't write a damn paper to save their lives, and some of the oral presentations I've watched have been soooo garbage by engineers, so different skill sets are critical. Comm. or English Lit majors may not do well with Calc III, Biochemistry, or Artificial Organs classes but there's a reason they bring in people from those departments to help us when its time for oral presentations or technical writing projects, because thats where STEM majors struggle mostly.
One isn't better than the other, its just STEM fields tend to have higher salaries for recent grads comparatively, but money isn't the only way to measure success....hell some social workers don't make anything hardly and they can have much more of a tangible impact on society than a lot of STEM majors.
Exactly. It's all about aptitude.

Hey i have a few question for those of you who graduated from college with majors such as
Sociology, Biology, Art, Communication, Environmental studies, Psychology, Political Science, History, etc. I know there are a tons more of these less difficult majors that i may not list here.
Anyway.
Did you land a decent job with these majors? If so what jobs did you get? Is what you do related to what you learned in school at all? Are you making okay money to live comfortable? I'm talking 40K and up.
It seem like outside of Law, Medical, Engineer, Computer majors. Where you actually have to learn. Every other major to me is just "for show". A hustle for the paper in the end that say you earn a "insert" degree.
Feel free to discuss. I want to know if college is worthy to go back.

Majoring in Law is a joke. It depends if you go to a top school. If you don't go to a top school or if you don't do very well...don't expect a job when you come out. Don't even waste your time. You might as well go and work retail.

I study Poli Sci and I consider myself well off. I'm 23 and I've bought my first house, my car is paid off, and I earn more than $40k a year. In all honesty though I'm not exactly working in my field right now.

BUT when I do start working in my field I'm looking at making around the same as I'm making now. However, I consider myself an exception because I live in the DMV, so our job prospects aren't as bad here as they are around the country.

Famous English Majors​

Is this good enough? Not tryna "hustle" you into Reading too much. :rolleyes

Your list consist mostly of actor, entertainer and real bright people. Actor are those who could have made it without college degrees. Im not sure if you can use that as example for regular folks like me and you.

Majoring in Law is a joke. It depends if you go to a top school. If you don't go to a top school or if you don't do very well...don't expect a job when you come out. Don't even waste your time. You might as well go and work retail.

There's a low tier law school? I assume folk who attend law school has to have high GPA and be bright?

Thread is getting off track. Im not trying to attack anyone with non STEM major. I simply asked is it worth it to go to school to learn these mediocre and less $ money making major. Geez

Last edited:
My buddy is a marine science grad. He majored in biology science while in school lol. Dude is 29 and still havent land a real job yet

it doesn't matter what school go to or what you major in, it's how you apply yourself and the knowledge you acquire is what determines how successful in life you are.

I'm under the impression that marine sciences means a career in academia (researching and teaching) and success is measured in knowledge and not money. I've never heard someone who studied Marine Biology because they wanted to be rich. Certain fields people go into because they love it and it's what they want do and the paycheck is extra. For example, nobody goes into teaching because they want to make a lot of money, they do it because they want to teach.

Hell, deep down, people who go into medicine don't even do it for money. they do it because they want to help people. NOONE is willing to go through all that schooling, all that studying, MCAT's, trying to get into med school, internships, residencies, godforsaken hours, the MOUNTAINS of college loans for a paycheck.

There's a low tier law school? I assume folk who attend law school has to have high GPA and bright?

law schools are a dime a dozen. hell i bet your local community college has a law degree program. I bet you can get a law degree (or any degree) online. anyone can go to Thomas M. Cooley Law School, but not everyone goes to Harvard or Yale . . .

I'm a poli sci major grad from UCSD. I graduated in 2011 and I've been working in the auto industry (aftermarket wheel company to be more specific) and it is totally different field than what I went to school for. I'm 22 years old right now and I'm living comfortably and making more than what the OP mentioned was comfortable living. Law school was a choice for me as well but a lot of my friends who graduated with poli sci went into law school and honestly, it really is true that if you don't go to a top tier law school, it really isn't worth it any more. There are so many people I know finishing up law school from decent law schools and passing the BAR yet still jobless so they have no choice but to start their own law office. I'm really happy being in the auto industry and it's pretty much a dream job for me right now workign for the company that I always had so much interest in and I get to be around cars which is my passion. I definitely plan on staying in the auto industry and MBA might be in the future plans for me but I mean in the end, it really is important that you work super hard and hustle. Internships in college are super important and I made sure I always did an internship every summer. Not all internships were serious work as some days, I'd be shredding paper all day etc but in the end, I had the internships from big name companies and those experiences do help once you graduate from college and start looking for jobs.

Last edited:
I'm really happy being in the auto industry and it's pretty much a dream job for me right now workign for the company that I always had so much interest in and I get to be around cars which is my passion.

find something you love to do and get paid to do it / get paid to do something you'd do for free . . . to me, that's happiness and that's the true measure of being successful.

in the immortal words of Tyler Durden:
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f#%king khakis.

Back
Top Bottom