Questions for Nters who graduated from college with mediocre majors

saw this thread yesterday while pending results from my interview last week. I graduated as a communications major after switching from bio due to struggling(whoever said bio wasnt difficult is on crack). Needless to say I did not get the job though I feel definitely qualified. Had many call center based jobs through college and now feel boxed in. my major is useless.

got a minor in bio...
its not as much problem solving as other majors... its mostly memorizing...

This dude just said it. Bio isn't hard at all if you read your book. I got A in bio but Cs in calculus. Luckily my business IT major didn't require me to take anything higher than business calculus

Care to list the course names of these bio classes?

Frankly, as a business major, you more than likely took introductory bio courses, and well, getting A's in those aint nothing to brag about. They were made to be easy.

Holla at me when pull A's in Virology (at my school, undergrad avg on exams were in the 70s and the grad students only did one point better), Advance Human Anatomy and Physiology (avg was never above 60), Advanced Biochem :smile:x), Developmental Bio :smile:{), etc.

If you think Bio is easy, then you probably only skimmed the surface of the major.

Last edited:
Damn this thread reminds me that I gotta find something I wanna do with my life. All I've been doing is taking GE courses with an Undecided major.  It's entertaining to think about dropping school & just be a drug dealer, but you still need skills to be really good at it lol.

Mordant titling perhaps?

The idea of college is to hone the fundamentals of a skill-set for a CAREER, firstly one must know the difference between a JOB and a CAREER. Saw a few misguided self-absorbed replies too,

When you take a job, you're not in a position of power or control, you're a paid laborer, whether you're a police officer, a registered nurse. or cashier at McDonalds.

It's arbitrarily agreed a career is  based upon a mutual demand. The employer is WILLING to negotiate with you based on the value of your skill-set.

So to call someone's major mediocre is meritocratic and egregious. There's prisoners and ex-gang members making  six figure salaries to lecture at Ivy League schools without college experience but based on their SKILL-SET.

Truth is it doesn't really matter where you got your degree from if you have SKILLS, made connections in college, and know what exactly you plan to do with your diplomas. I have friends with prestigious degrees that work jobs that only pay less that 35K a year, but I also know people with community college degrees in areas like philosophy and criminal justice that make 80K.

Don't want to judge but it sounds like some of you are in college for the wrong reasons, education should never be based off vanity.

Comm major checking in. 2008 graduate from a NJ university. I worked at ABC News right after college and made roughly $46K on shows on I'm sure you've seen, such as Good Morning America, World News with Diane Sawyer and others. I left in 2011, now working at Merck.

EDIT: I never thought of anything I've done as mediocre.

Last edited:
got a minor in bio...
its not as much problem solving as other majors... its mostly memorizing...

This dude just said it. Bio isn't hard at all if you read your book. I got A in bio but Cs in calculus. Luckily my business IT major didn't require me to take anything higher than business calculus
I"m guessing you took intro bio courses. Those classes aren't difficult at all. I would say calculus isn't bad if you have a good professor. Try taking something like cellular or microbiology and see how easy it is.

Last edited:
Frankly, as a business major, you more than likely took introductory bio courses, and well, getting A's in those aint nothing to brag about. They were made to be easy.
Holla at me when pull A's in Virology (at my school, undergrad avg on exams were in the 70s and the grad students only did one point better), Advance Human Anatomy and Physiology (avg was never above 60), Advanced Biochem :smile:x), Developmental Bio :smile:{), etc.
If you think Bio is easy, then you probably only skimmed the surface of the major.
I didn't say it was easy.

Believe me brah... its not easy...

But its more memorization than actual problem solving. You can attest to that.

Like, I'm in finance right now... its just more along lines of figuring things out... everything in the test will not be in the book

You have to put work in either way... but if you have a great memory , biology might be something you can look into...

Virology might be different cuz the nature of viruses change...

But cellular and molecular biology? Ecology? Environmental science?

That doesn't change .. its just more info you have to be able to recognize.

Also, with a minor at my school, 16 of your 24 credit hours HAS to be 3000 and 4000 level courses ...

So I think I have a general idea...

Got my marketing degree in May. Got a couple of offers making ok money. Just gonna keep applying for jobs and be patient. 

First off, your degree to extent means nothing compared to the skills your possess. Also depends on how you market yourself. One of my cousins for example, he was able to stop going to school (didn't graduate college) due to him landing a good job in his field of study that would pay alot (in some case more then those who graduated). He got that job on A) how he marketed himself and b) Networking.

Real talk, if your friend is 29 with a bachelor and he has gotten a job or went back to school then that's on him.

Thread is getting off track. Im not trying to attack anyone with non STEM major. I simply asked is it worth it to go to school to learn these mediocre and less $ money making major. Geez
Have you seen the stats for those with college degrees and those without? Have you seen the difference of income and unemployment? Yes, it's worth it.

YOU GOT TO START SOMEWHERE, you might start at 35-40k but the possibility of making 100+k is there for those with experience and work ethic.

Oppose to those without a degree, start at 30k and at most make 45k depending.

And thus i said mediocre degrees. You don't agree with that? lol Anyone with a decent IQ and a decent study habit could have graduated from school with one of these mediocre degrees.
My question is did they land a decent job? So far i got like 2 relevant responses. I guess NT is the wrong place to ask. Lock this up

you make yourself sound stupider and more ignorant every post

I don't think there's any such thing as a mediocre or useless major. It may not be a popular major but certainly not as worthless as some will have you think. I know a chick who graduated with a psychology major and is now a financial analyst at the bank. Another friend of mine graduated with a 3.8gpa as a biology major but decided to do his masters in finance. A lot of people end up working in fields unrelated to their major, whether by choice or not.

Isnt this technically cosigning OP's point?

Social Sciences are currently being crushed in this economy. It honestly all depends on your university, internships, and networking.

In the current educational and economic climate, certain majors definitely require grad school. Ex: Law school or Master's for Poli Sci or CJ.

i wish i could find something to be passionate about besides sports..at this point in my life i really couldn't care less about school besides finishing on time, and i can't really find myself doing something i love except smoking.Smh.

I don't know about you but i took 4 bio classes in college and got all A. I find science and biology subject interesting. Maybe people who don't like bio find the major to be hard but for those who are naturally curious about science/bio will have an easy time in that major.

Serious question: is English your first language?

i wish i could find something to be passionate about besides sports..at this point in my life i really couldn't care less about school besides finishing on time, and i can't really find myself doing something i love except smoking.Smh.
Botany
Sports Columnist
Marijuana Columnist 

Times are changing, we are the new boomers, now is the time to CREATE new career fields and gain footing in the market. 

co-sign... :smh:

[COLOR=#red]Times are changing, we are the new boomers, now is the time to CREATE new career fields and gain footing in the market. 
[/COLOR]

This.

I have my Bachelor's in Physical Education and I am currently a Phys Ed teacher in NYC. Lots of people assume my degree was easy, but have no idea how many science courses I had to take, and in fact there were pre-med students in many of my classes. My degree is a licensing requirement for my job (only certified Phys Ed teachers may teach grades 6-12 in the public school system here), so its not worthless. However, I am aware that my degree doesn't directly apply to much else other than teaching, but I knew that going in and that doesn't mean that I'm stupid and wouldn't be able to move on to something else if I wanted to. I'm very happy with my choice, I wear sneakers to work everyday and I get a pension and health benefits :pimp:.

Let's face it; people talk down about other majors without knowing anything about what those students have to go through. Most colleges also have similar general ed requirements, so students from all majors end up taking many of the same courses, even as much as a third of the degree requirements can be classes like Greek Mythology that almost nobody cares to take but are forced to in order to meet the school's random requirements. There are also majors such as exercise science that are used as a stepping stone to graduate school, and while they aren't likely to directly lead to a job right after graduation, the material learned in those majors is carried over into the study of their advanced degrees.

@HugheyFreeman

I felt the same way you did, I had sleepless nights thinking about what I was going to do with myself, I love sports and couldn't imagine doing anything else, so if you can find something in sports that you are interested in doing, you can take a major, do internships, etc related to what you want to do.

Last edited:
Ever consider Sports Journalism, Sports Management, or PR with a sports firm?

ESPN has a plethora of different jobs offered. Bristol and NYC.

I am only only one person but I majored in Biology with a minor in Chemistry...15 years later I make over 100K. No I am not a Doctor...

Obviously some majors are more marketable than others but getting a degree is just the first step. You gotta grind to make it today, the degree just opens more doors for you to stick your foot in. People think getting a degree means people are going to knock on your door and throw jobs at you. Some of my friends had that happen but that is the EXCEPTION even for the most in demand majors and the brightest students. Even with them...they constantly had internships...parents knew the right people...or they got to know the right people while in school. I did the same things but they were the lucky ones.

Bottom line is you gotta sacrifice and work hard to get where you want to be; ain't nobody gonna give you money to floss and buy all the kicks you want just because you think they should. If they didn't inherit that money...99% of the super successful people you see flossin and havin nice things put in 60-90 hour weeks for years, started at the bottom or near it, and busted their arses, to reach that level of success. If you ain't willing to do that...no matter what your major your degree will be useless.

In b4 JPEG.

Lulz at listing Bio, not sure if cereal.

Math is the master race.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom