R.I.P Kobe Bryant.

I was thinking about this and if they wanna do justice to the kobe brand, I think it would be right to continue the flagship model. Maybe bring back some of the designers like Eric avar recognized for designing early low cut kobe models. That way the attention isn't diverted to retros only and they can keep the kobe line fresh. I have a feeling the protro line will stagnate now that nobody is pushing for improving tech. I dunno but nike basketball really doesn't appeal to me anymore. I tried the kd's and the kyries but they don't fit like high tops and aren't fine tuned. New balance omn1s tho
Without Kobe Bryant's input, continuing that line under his name would be disingenuous. It would be like they are pimping his legacy. Also, his shoes weren't doing that well at the registers to begin with, especially with the whole mis info on the tech specs of the 4. I'd think that they'd probably have a better chance at retro's, doing one to one reproductions of that line.

The Kobe 1 through 11 I can see them coming back out with down the road. I hope anyway. But I do agree that with Kobe not here, I would think newer models wouldnt feel right. Def new territory for a shoe company to deal with.

Without Kobe Bryant's input, continuing that line under his name would be disingenuous. It would be like they are pimping his legacy. Also, his shoes weren't doing that well at the registers to begin with, especially with the whole mis info on the tech specs of the 4. I'd think that they'd probably have a better chance at retro's, doing one to one reproductions of that line.
I know but what does nike basketball really have to offer. a lot of the basketball models are just dumbed down versions of each other with different zoom cutouts. the kobe ad not 360 was released after Kobe's retirement, but still pushed for a sneaker built on tech with a different structure. It might not be for the casual consumer, but people that ball even myself as an older ball player look for things that can give us some kind of comfort or a different feel on court. Kobe's line embodied that. I jumped ship right now playing in omn1s, but giving that option to the consumer really allows for long time buyers to be attracted to the brand. Heck even the Jordan 34 got me looking at jb again and Jordan been retired for ages.

If Kobe has a last will filed, Nike is waiting for Kobe’s lawyer to cover all the information on where his percentages is going and all the beneficiary needs to do is accept whatever deal Kobe set up. Now if Kobe didn’t have the information setup it might take awhile for everything to be settled

I doubt they're gonna continue with new kobe sigs. It just wouldn't make much sense. Maybe they can continue his Mentality line or whatever the takedown models are. As far as retros, you're definitely going to continue seeing it. They were retroing Kobe's while Kobe was still playing. Nike had plans for the retros or in this case, Protros. Seeing as how they skipped from 1 to 4, the protro line probably gonna skip some models after the 5's (hopefully not the 8's) I think it wouldn't be fair to the fans that want his sneakers if they completely stopped all retros. The 5's have at least a handful of colorways already rumored. I think nike going to drop another kobe pack from 1-11 eventually. Or at least put his shoes up on nike ID on mamba day for fans can create unique tributes like when Nike put up the special option ID's for his retirement game

I know but what does nike basketball really have to offer. a lot of the basketball models are just dumbed down versions of each other with different zoom cutouts. the kobe ad not 360 was released after Kobe's retirement, but still pushed for a sneaker built on tech with a different structure. It might not be for the casual consumer, but people that ball even myself as an older ball player look for things that can give us some kind of comfort or a different feel on court. Kobe's line embodied that. I jumped ship right now playing in omn1s, but giving that option to the consumer really allows for long time buyers to be attracted to the brand. Heck even the Jordan 34 got me looking at jb again and Jordan been retired for ages.
I do understand that there is a business need to push for new product, citing new tech as an advantage. However, that is not always the best move, nor always the smart move. If it already works? It works. For the sake of marketing, zoom air came out around '95 - '96, and it is still around right now. Max air was around longer than that. The whole fuse upper, or more breathable mesh type materials simply make the shoes easier to play in right out of the box. Nike Basketball bit itself in the foot by not making their shoes durable enough, a shoe that is worth their value, while other brands focused upon not cheapening out their shoes, in lieu of simply suggesting that the lighter and more expensive shoe is the best. They supposedly were of performance value, therefore justifying the price hikes. In that they've used Kobe's name in order to push such a theme. It seemed that nike wanted to rely upon sig themes, instead of an independent hoops line.

I don't know, perhaps it will change with Nike. But I still play in Retro Jordan's, and I enjoyed playing in the Nike Kobe 1 this past summer, even though they replaced the original tech specs with that of the Nike Zoom Legend.

Just wanted to share all the Nike Kobe gear that I’ve collected throughout the years. IMO, of all the Nike athletes, he had the best designs in gear (and footwear).

5FD63654-4AAA-407D-B142-07AE6C6D80E2.jpeg

69A06677-CD68-4098-A353-DB1E9C63AAB0.jpeg

064C9DE9-DB7D-4234-B57A-109BB57E4961.jpeg

Would be cool if they did a pack or something with the sneaks that all proceeds went to mambaonthree for the other surviving families (assuming Kobe paperwork was good for his family to eat). although you'd like to think that between Nike and all Kobe's friends and business parters they already good.

They have aired his 60 point (last game) a few times now. Drawn to the TV when its on. His press conf after that game was hard to watch. He seemed extremely happy with his decision. He earned every bit of accolade he received. I am just glad he at least was able to see and feel that appreciation.

Truth. Watching all of that live, I never saw someone so content and at peace with ending their career. It was kinda startling.

Back
Top Bottom