Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

the general urban/African American zeitgeist that still supports the endeavors of Beyonce, Rihanna and Nick Cannon of which your individual contradicting opinion is not stronger than

Just because Beyonce wasn't "canceled" doesn't mean she didn't get a bunch of flack for it too bro :lol:

That was also like 7-8 years ago. She would get killed on Twitter now

I'm getting worried

@mrwavez

Missing-Person-Poster.png

Bruh in the whip on his way to VA

This is blackface? I'm asking cause I really don't know what this is

I think just darkening your skin isn't blackface. Rihanna and Beyonce obviously did it for obvious artistic reasons.

Dudes are really trying hard with the black face isn't that bad argument. Let's revisit this next Halloween.

It's snitching and something a little kid would do. But they were allowed to do it, why can't I do it too.

I think just darkening your skin isn't blackface. Rihanna and Beyonce obviously did it for obvious artistic reasons.

Dudes are really trying hard with the black face isn't that bad argument. Let's revisit this next Halloween.

It's snitching and something a little kid would do. But they were allowed to do it, why can't I do it too.

this going in circles but no one is saying “its not that bad”

im just asking why its a game changer for drake but for others its not really that big of a deal lol...if theyre all black...even just now you said “darkening your skin” when its rihanna and with drake its “blackface” when they probably 1-2 shades apart probably closer when Rihanna is barefaced lol...would it be darkening your skin or blackface for chris brown lol...

stop dancing around why he really cant wear it and that is because he’s corny (especially at the time era when he took the pics...”look @ his face” - nas) and not pro black enough...and is closer to being Logic lightskin than J cole or Chris brown lightskin lol...which is okay for u to feel like that but stop trying to act like it would be the same reaction for cole, Kendrick or Mos Def lol and ignoring that no one had that same energy for beyonce or rihanna lol

this going in circles but no one is saying “its not that bad”

im just asking why its a game changer for drake but for others its not really that big of a deal lol...if theyre all black

stop dancing around why he really cant wear it and that is because he’s corny (especially at the time era when he took the pics...”look @ his face” - nas) and not pro black enough...which is okay for u to feel like that lol

No it's because he has no history of dealing with race and has no perceived consciousness.

He went from saying he doesn't see color and it's not a big deal in Canada to satirizing Jim Crow south?

No, he was making light of it, because I'm sure he didn't understand the connotations to a lot of us Americans and probably didn't find it that offensive, because he is biracial and raised by a white mother and lives in Canada.

im sure wavez will be in here quick enough to tell you that the jim crow pics and “i see no color” were in thr opposite order u posted and a decade apart from two different life perspectives at that...i wouldnt expect someone in drakes position as a racially ambigious pop star to experience any type of racism...same when Wayne whos been a millionaire since 16 made those comments...but nevertheless...

you’re basically agreeing with me that he doesnt get the right from the urban zeitgeist because he hasnt been “pro black” enough up until this point to get that benefit of the doubt. him actually being no more or less black than a J cole or Chris Brown or someone who could do it without accusations of tap dancing/not being allowed to because they are half white doesnt matter.

What nick cannon did was clearly a mockery of coo*ns when you watch it in its full context. That drake black face is different. The clothing line didnt go far enough in making a mockery of jim crow.

What nick cannon did was clearly a mockery of ****ns when you watch it in its full context. That drake black face is different. The clothing line didnt go far enough in making a mockery of jim crow.

:lol:

y’all dancing in here like soulja in his prime.

After further review i think It’s

Pusha 1 - Drake 1 (Pusha with a knockdown / knockout though if drake doesn’t respond ) if we doing rounds.

Duppy Freestyle >>>>> Infrared
But Man Story of adidon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There is no debate about Drake's blackness, he is a black man. The debate is about his corniest. They debate just gets framed as a "this is how a black dude should act" but at the end of the day if Drake was an average joe him being Canadian, having a white mother, or being from the burbs would bot protect his *** from racism. He black. Though those things I listed may have warped his understanding of racism given his past comments.

But his corny black *** needs explain and apologize for that blackface nonsense. It is offensive on multiple levels.

I agree he's def black and you're right none of that stuff would prevent him from facing/experiencing racism but being racially black and “culturally” black in the American context are 2 different things and these are both very complex/confusing things to understand, especially from an outside-in view. Which is why I honestly don't even think he can control some of that **** because maybe he hasn't really "learned it" like a lot of us have.

A lot of the more nuanced "cultural" black **** you can't really learn from TV and music, its learned from actually being entrenched in it.

I obviously don't know his upbringing but I think that video of a young 18-19 yo Drake saying _ with a hard R in a interview unironically kinda shows that he prolly wasn't around black people like that and prolly didn't have much contact with his black american fam in Memphis coming up until he got older and could move around on his own. Spend one summer in Memphis and you would know not say _ like that :lol:.

I imagine this is why his comments on race come off kinda weird too. Because he's black we kinda want him to speak out/on some **** and have this perspective that he might not even really identify with because of his upbringing and experiences.

It's like with Ebonics/AAVE, nobody put us in a room and taught us that ****, we just learned it. I got some half white cousins who were raised exclusively in the suburbs (my uncle dipped out on them young) and it was cringe as hell when we were younger because they would come up to us tryna "talk black" but would always end up just saying some **** that sounded ridiculous because they didn't really understand that we weren't just freestyling a bad version of English but were speaking a learned dialect with legit "rules".

I agree he's def black and you're right none of that stuff would prevent him from facing/experiencing racism but being racially black and “culturally” black in the American context are 2 different things and these are both very complex/confusing things to understand, especially from an outside-in view. Which is why I honestly don't even think he can control some of that **** because maybe he hasn't really "learned it" like a lot of us have.

A lot of the more nuanced "cultural" black **** you can't really learn from TV and music, its learned from actually being entrenched in it.

I obviously don't know his upbringing but I think that video of a young 18-19 yo Drake saying _ with a hard R in a interview unironically kinda shows that he prolly wasn't around black people like that and prolly didn't have much contact with his black american fam in Memphis coming up until he got older and could move around on his own. Spend one summer in Memphis and you would know not say _ like that :lol:.

I imagine this is why his comments on race come off kinda weird too. Because he's black we kinda want him to speak out/on some **** and have this perspective that he might not even really identify with because of his upbringing and experiences.

It's like with Ebonics/AAVE, nobody put us in a room and taught us that ****, we just learned it. I got some half white cousins who were raised exclusively in the suburbs (my uncle dipped out on them young) and it was cringe as hell when we were younger because they would come up to us tryna "talk black" but would always end up just saying some **** that sounded ridiculous because they didn't really understand that we weren't just freestyling a bad version of English but were speaking a learned dialect with legit "rules".

This is why this diss is gonna last much longer than whatever club hit Drake comes with.

This is the first time we’re even having the conversation of “How Black is Drake Really?”

And Push didnt even go in like he really could have. That can be a whole song alone.

I didn't like how he was saying Meek should be speaking out on the police shootings like it didn't apply to him. I said that when it happen.

I was like dog aren't you black and in America 90% of the time, why aren't you speaking or worrying about it. He made it seem like it was Meek's and our problem to talk about. And the one time you speak on an issue it's to try and belittle someone else.

for a reminder on who big ghost fase is lol...

http://bigghostlimited.com/big-ghost-presents-the-take-care-review/

Ayo whattup yall…the Hands of Zeus aka Thor Molecules aka Phantom Raviolis aka Cocaine Biceps… otherwise known as The Blog King n the Inventor of the Slap…is now officially back in the building namsayin. As summa yalls already kno…the god aint really no big fan of the ***** whose album Im bout to discuss nahmean. But Imma give this **** a unbiased real *** ***** persective yo. Imma ga’head n introduce the ***** now namsayin. Ayo…kinda like ya boy Big Ghost…son goes by many names b…Drizzy or Aubrey or jus Aubs…n the Artist Formerly Known as Wheelchair Jimmy nahmean. But yalls might know him as The Kitten Whisperer aka The Harvester of Pauses aka The Taio Cruz of Hip Hop aka Young Garnier Fructis the pre-cum baby aka Jennifer Aniston’s favorite emcee….n the mutha****a most likely to have a gateway to Narnia in his closet aka The Michael Buble of Rap or that ***** witta beatin vagina for a heart that you be hearin on the radio sandwiched between Katy Perry n Lady Gaga joints all day aka Justin Biebers beard n the only ***** on earth capable of turnin sandpaper into moist towelettes wit the touch of his hands…the vagina nectar-garglin ***** who makes lambs look dangerous hisself…..otherwise known as the Human Electric Slide… OctobVariesOwn….Drake. Now I promise yall…I aint got no expectations or plans to hate on this ***** unless the **** jus so happens to be wack nahmean…Word is bond. Truth is…I aint really got nothin against son like that yo. Aight lets go…

When you look at pre Houston Drake he was not this same guy. They added some extras to homie. He had a big disconnect with black people.

- Him saying _ with a hard er

- Him wearing blackface

- Him doing interviews saying there's no racism in Canada, they don't learn to hate

Drake is half black but clearly him growing up jewish in a white neighborhood has given him this sheltered, naive mindset and still does.

Listening to Joe's podcast and I forgot how hard the outro to IYVTITL. He was spitting. It's a shame we will never get a rap dominated project from him. When hes focus and spitting, he's nice.

Back
Top Bottom