Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Unless your name is Marshall Mathers, you not gonna dance around being ayo, and then pass it off as "it's a gimmick!" and everything be cool
You mean you gotta be white for that to work?
Anyway I rock with Tyler, he's always been different tho. And Wolf was a pretty solid album.

Last edited:
gim·mick

ˈɡimik/

noun

1. a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.
Quick...show me who the "real" Tyler The Creator is that proves the image he portrays is a "trick or device intended to attract attention".

A gimmick would be when MC Lyte became a thug to sell records or even Tupac becoming a hardcore gang banger.

Shock value certainly aided to OF's rise, but nothing about it was contrived. All of them have gone down their own paths and none of them really still make content as juvenile as they did when they came out...and rightfully so...because they're older. 

What makes a person "authentic" and what makes them a gimmick? Is it a gimmick when Drake warps into one of his many international alter egos? 

Last edited:
Lmao a gimmick doesn't have to have a negative connotation. If anything every successful act has a gimmick

There are just certain gimmicks that some will like and others won't. Tyler's gimmick is wack. It's lame as hell and it's been lame as hell since the beginning with the video w: the roaches coming out his mouth. Odd future = wack

The conscious rap effort can be considered a gimmick too.

Ain't no "authentic" this is a business.

You said it yourself. Shock value. That is Tyler the creator's brand. And like dude up there said, Eminem do the same ****

Last edited:
Lmao a gimmick doesn't have to have a negative connotation. If anything every successful act has a gimmick

The conscious rap effort can be considered a gimmick too.

Ain't no "authentic" this is a business.

You said it yourself. Shock value. That is Tyler the creator's brand. And like dude up there said, Eminem do the same ****
Woke rapper gimmick is sad

He probably is gay, not surprised. Him and Frank probably doing their thing, double entendre

I actually just watched the show and what they had to say about it. Just like Joe said...how many heterosexual ****** do ya'll know that's been "joking" about being homo for 5 years now? 

I sincerely believe that ***** when he says he's been trying to tell everyone for years. 

I also don't think this is going to push him to some new level of stardom. I think dude is just comfortable with revealing who he is. 

You can't listen to that song with Estelle and tell me he's just joking. It wasn't even a "joking" type of song. 

Don't see the big deal either way but all the ambiguity and going back and forth on it is corny lol.

If he is gay he should have been capitalized on it.

The potential for the shock value moments he loves goes up 10x now that he's gay.

BTW if OF had their business together they could have been like a weirdo No Limit. Syd, Frank, Internet, Tyler. All potential headlining acts.

Last edited:
Joe is mad stupid if he thinks gay people are accepted in hip hop

Right just look at this thread [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Dude has a cult like following , will just gain more fans most likely . All they Gay people who hated him cause of his bashing and use of maggot will probably become fans now lol

Meh.

Frank Ocean is flourishing and Kevin Abstract has a show on VICE.

As long as you aren't blatantly doing too much to where social judgements can be made upon your heterosexual consumers for rocking with you I think the coast is pretty much clear for gay rappers to come out.

why be a famous rapper if you not going to smash baddies????????!!!!!!???

Joe is mad stupid if he thinks gay people are accepted in hip hop
people accept young thug and dude is gay af. i dont care if he caught 100 bodies. he aint no street ***** in my eyes

Define accepted. I listen to rap now compared to 10 years ago and you don't hear nearly as many gay slurs.

That's society period . Everybody is mad sensitive and wants to be politically correct period . Anybody goes on record and starts dropping slurs is risking their brand

I think people in general are more accepting though , I honestly don't think most of his peers will give a **** .

people accept young thug and dude is gay af. i dont care if he caught 100 bodies. he aint no street ***** in my eyes
???

83283d1305037027-custom-omar-little-omar-little-wire.jpg

I know it's just a show but that's the silliest (and possibly dangerous depending on your personal endeavors) attitude to have. A gun isn't going to jam because the man likes to get rammed.

People vouch for Thug though.

Last edited:
That's society period . Everybody is mad sensitive and wants to be politically correct period . Anybody goes on record and starts dropping slurs is risking their brand

I think people in general are more accepting though , I honestly don't think most of his peers will give a **** .
nah, black people are getting thrown under the bus more and more these days

Don't confuse people accepting something versus dealing with something or just not caring about it. You cant say what you wanna say like you was able to 10 years ago and not get backlash. Look at Migos and how the media tried to do them when they made a comment about Makkonnen. Let Thug say some **** like he just got finished making out with a dude or whatever. You think these rappers gon mess with  him and accept him? Nah.

Also folks assume Thug is gay. Until he flat out confirms it, he's not. You're just putting labels on him based on what you see.

???

83283d1305037027-custom-omar-little-omar-little-wire.jpg

I know it's just a show but that's the silliest (and possibly dangerous depending on your personal endeavors) attitude to have. A gun isn't going to jam because the man likes to get rammed.

People vouch for Thug though.
i have lived in the hood my entire life. you call another man babe or boo you better be ready to fight that man. you might even get shot 

Back
Top Bottom