Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

the other side of that coin though is that ****** are just selling their reality to mainstream America to escape said conditions

the other side of that coin though is that *****s are just selling their reality to mainstream America to escape said conditions

I was about to say something like this. This is life to some of these guys. This finessin' and livin' and dyin' by the sword are realities and that's all some of these guys know.

Or better yet,

It's all good, it's all culture until somebody actually dies and gets shot and now we're upset and sad. It's always been weird to me how we openly accept this type of image and music as what we identify with but get upset when we actually get treated exactly the way in which we portray ourselves.

If it's entertainment for the music listeners then keep it that way but don't fake cry and be upset when these *****s actually get licked.

I really believe these ****** subconsciously buy into these real life events as a part of the entertainment process.

****** get killed and they views/plays go up. They like to see dudes go sit on Vlad's couch and verify their street cred.

They're consuming the performance acting element that exists beyond the music.

We say Yung Mazi's music wasn't popping...but him getting shot all the time gave him the platform to get his music heard. I wouldn't know a ******* Blac Youngsta song if it blasted in my ear...but him being a **** is what's giving his music a platform. So it's not just music. ****** are definitely buying into an image.

These _'s are telling their stories or what they see around them. The real issue is why do they live in these conditions? What is being done help them? Hip Hop is a art form for expression. If these young _'s are growing up in f'ed up places, the music is gonna show that for a lot of them.

The gun talk and violence talk for the most part should be taking as entertainment but unfortunately it's some black kids that grow up w/o older male figures to telling them these things and they take it serious.

Most you still see this topic VERY short sighted.

Nobody is campaigning for or against these artists' rights to express themselves. The other "real issue" is who created and controls this infrastructure within the music industry that provides the platform for this music?

To that point...

the other side of that coin though is that *****s are just selling their reality to mainstream America to escape said conditions

Who's funding this reality? Who are these artists hoping to "sign" with in order to make it out of these environments.

Isn't that the dream? To be signed or partner with an entity who can provide you the use of mass media right?

The last time I checked...none of the people in those positions of power come from where Yung Mazi comes from.

None of you see a problem with that?

I wasn't speaking on their "communities" and I'm not speaking on just this one guy. I'm speaking on the music being made that glorifies this lifestyle and the people who support it and how this **** is only sad when they die...but it's not sad when they talking about killing someone else over an 808.

Or better yet,

It's all good, it's all culture until somebody actually dies and gets shot and now we're upset and sad. It's always been weird to me how we openly accept this type of image and music as what we identify with but get upset when we actually get treated exactly the way in which we portray ourselves.

If it's entertainment for the music listeners then keep it that way but don't fake cry and be upset when these *****s actually get licked.

I think when you're young you look at it as just entertainment, but you see all the harm it's doing as you get older. I see now what Calvin Butts and C Delores Tucker were doing.

And it's even worse now, because there's no longer a lot of art involved or it being our CNN. It's no longer reporting anything, it's spreading negativity.

These _'s are telling their stories or what they see around them. The real issue is why do they live in these conditions? What is being done help them? Hip Hop is a art form for expression. If these young _'s are growing up in f'ed up places, the music is gonna show that for a lot of them.

The gun talk and violence talk for the most part should be taking as entertainment but unfortunately it's some black kids that grow up w/o older male figures to telling them these things and they take it serious.

Can they tell their stories w/o glorifying and monetizing it though? They go beyond telling their stories, they're flat out bragging about their surroundings and the ills of their lifestyle that they partake in. They brag about it like it's cool and then make money off of it.

And you're right, it is entertainment and should be taken as such. But to some (including the actual acts themselves) what they're saying has a lot of realism in it.

I think when you're young you look at it as just entertainment, but you see all the harm it's doing as you get older. I see now what Calvin Butts and C Delores Tucker were doing.

And it's even worse now, because there's no longer a lot of art involved or it being our CNN. It's no longer reporting anything, it's spreading negativity.

I mean i'm 24, so much of these guys are my age and I do indulge in, and listen to what these guys are saying but they aren't even showing you the ills of their lifestyle and lives anymore, they're flat out celebrating and bragging about it.

Then you have the social media aspect, which allows these rappers to further glorify and monetize the image that they're selling through the music. And while some view it as entertainment, that rapper really has been shot at. He really has shot at people. But we celebrate him and champion his music, until he dies then we fake care until a new viral rapper pops up saying the same ****. Rinse and repeat.

The crazy **** now is that there's a whole generation of young artists growing that ARE NOT in the streets like that but are glorifying this ****. This is the new cool...

hqdefault.jpg

This is what you've allowed into the game...and it's only going to get worse.

I'd actually say they have male figures but they just aren't positive. Most hoods are flooded with men but a lot of em don't amount to nothing but hustlin' to make rent and buy do "hood rat" s***. You grow up around hustlers whose dreams are to ball and floss, you are likely to grow up and have the same goals

Who's funding this reality? Who are these artists hoping to "sign" with in order to make it out of these environments.

Isn't that the dream? To be signed or partner with an entity who can provide you the use of mass media right?

The last time I checked...none of the people in those positions of power come from where Yung Mazi comes from.

None of you see a problem with that?

The dream, I'd assume, for a great deal of young cats in the hood is to get rich. Dudes that grow up in the hood end up lovin' the hood and lovin' the respect the hood provides. Dudes are so ingrained in they hood they don't even travel out they city because they have "a name" for themselves.

This ain't about seein' a problem, I'm sure every man in here can spot what's wrong, it's about understanding.

Can they tell their stories w/o glorifying and monetizing it though? They go beyond telling their stories, they're flat out bragging about their surroundings and the ills of their lifestyle that they partake in. They brag about it like it's cool and then make money off of it.

Once hip-hop started making money it's high percentage authenticity started dying out and guys are willing to sell themselves out to make a buck. As many guys that will rap they story "for free" there's exponentially more willing to do what it takes to get they check or their bag

And you're right, it is entertainment and should be taken as such. But to some (including the actual acts themselves) what they're saying has a lot of realism in it.

Again. It's all they know. The kids in Chicago ain't born thinking gang banging is cool. The environment shapes that mindset. The home, the schools, the government creates this mindset. Long before hip hop. Hip hop was used a an expression or an escape from the hell around you. Now over time it has turned into a way to exploit and profit for white label people and people who don't come from that but the root of the issue is still the same.

The crazy **** now is that there's a whole generation of young artists growing that ARE NOT in the streets like that but are glorifying this ****. This is the new cool...

hqdefault.jpg

THESE dudes are truly destructive man. I've first hand seen n***** from great homes with all the opportunity in Gwinnett county get swallowed up into the bs. Like, they start playing street *****, and street ***** sht comes to the front door smh

Why is it whenever this discussion takes place...a defense for "hip-hop" goes up?

NOBODY is attacking or critiquing the wide ranging culture of Hip Hop...but moreso the business infrastructure that controls it. We know the root of this problem isn't hip-hop...but I don't think many of us can see how those who are bankroling this are using it to compound this problem.

Casonova said he was basically a spoiled brat growing up in a big house and was still robbing and doing **** so sometimes _'s are just stupid. At least he honest about it though.

hqdefault.jpg

Does the authenticity of the act even matter if both the authentic and non authentic acts are perpetuating the same destructive message? Pump is glorifying the same image that 21 is and it's that same mindset that permeates through to young kids.

THESE dudes are truly destructive man. I've first hand seen n***** from great homes with all the opportunity in Gwinnett county get swallowed up into the bs. Like, they start playing street *****, and street ***** sht comes to the front door smh

**** about to get way worst.

My lil brother called me a few months ago and asked me for help because he had some "opps" after him and they were strapped.

This lil ***** lives in Frederick, MD. **** is spooky out here.

At the bottom of it all is going to be a track to the dollar sign. The Powers that Be know there's money in destruction and violence and they'll fund it all until there isn't anymore.

Look at how the republicans are constantly trying to make way to get more money in the rich's pockets even at the cost of lives of the poor. It's all for a buck

Why is it whenever this discussion takes place...a defense for "hip-hop" goes up?

NOBODY is attacking or critiquing the wide ranging culture of Hip Hop...but moreso the business infrastructure that controls it. We know the root of this problem isn't hip-hop...but I don't think many of us can see how those who are bankroling this are using it to compound this problem.

It's the same people. The politicians and these label heads golf together.

Back
Top Bottom