Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Nadeska finally finding the term “introspective hood rap” and being all amazed :lol:.

Everyday struggle finally getting around to understating *****, and not being dismissive. What a time. They gotta be reading this thread.

Dolph 33k

Thug 28k

Thug and his team are trash at pushing his stuff. :lol: Almost forget he's signed to Atlantic.

Thug **** was just 6 songs bruh, not a lot to stream

And he dropped it randomly Sunday night so he ended up losing out on damn near 3 days of streams/sales

The comparison with Dolph is funny tho cause they could really be swapped label/position wise :lol:
Dolph more of general trap rapper, that’s perfect for a major, while Thug is a lil more experimental and a tougher sell to the masses

Thug is kinda in the same type of niche position Future was in until he got #FutureHive and Mask Off Challenge

Thug **** was just 6 songs bruh, not a lot to stream

And he dropped it randomly Sunday night so he ended up losing out on damn near 3 days of streams/sales

The comparison with Dolph is funny tho cause they could really be swapped label/position wise :lol:
Dolph more of general trap rapper, that’s perfect for a major, while Thug is a lil more experimental and a tougher sell to the masses

Thug is kinda in the same type of niche position Future was in until he got #FutureHive and Mask Off Challenge

At the end of day Thug is a much bigger name than Dolph.

Thug is perfect to sell to the masses. He's creative, he's catchy, the weirdo ****. People eat that up. Experimental works today. We gotta stop making excuses for dude, he just ain't where he should be.

At the end of day Thug is a much bigger name than Dolph.

Thug is perfect to sell to the masses. He's creative, he's catchy, the weirdo ****. People eat that up. Experimental works today. We gotta stop making excuses for dude, he just ain't where he should be.

I don't know about this part. I'm not sure if squealing like a box of kittens being stepped on is very creative.

Reactions: OTG
To be big mainstream you gotta be simple and relatable (Drake, Cole, etc.) or eccentric to the point where people respect the craft. (Kendrick, Kanye)

Thug ain’t simple and he ain’t relatable to the average person. And people don’t respect his eccentricity the way they might for a Kanye or whoever bc they look at him as just making noises.

He in a weird place. I say he should double down on being the oddball and see what the independent grind is like and see where completely not giving a **** about appealing to people takes him. **** around and make him a cult underground legend. If Currensy and Dom can make the same music for ten years and still be full steam ahead, Thug would go crazy constantly reinventing himself.

Last edited:
Naw cause even Pluto was bigger than anything young thug has released

Dude was killing the radio with same damn time, neva end, turn on the lights, tony Montana, and magic.

Thug ain’t never have the juice like that.

Bruh Pluto did 40k first week with all those “hits”. Slime Season 3 and Jeffrey both did those numbers :lol:

I don’t think y’all dudes realize just because all those records were bangers to “US” and spinning on urban radio doesn’t mean they were hits to the “masses”. Future couldn’t even land a record inside the Top 50 until Where Ya At w Drake.

Honest had Move That Dope w Pharrell and features from Drake, Kanye and ****ing 3 Stacks and sold 10k more than Pluto :lol:

That’s why after Honest his manager said they basically decided Future had to refrain from doing features and rebrand his whole ****.

Thug need to change his image. No more auto tune. Let’s just see him RAP. Cut out the antics. Embrace the fact that you’re a bisexual, and keep it moving

We rly comparing Thug to Dolph

Michael-Scott-Failing-to-Hold-In-Laughter.gif

Bruh Pluto did 40k first week with all those “hits”. Slime Season 3 and Jeffrey both did those numbers :lol:

I don’t think y’all dudes realize just because all those records were bangers to “US” and spinning on urban radio doesn’t mean they were hits to the “masses”. Future couldn’t even land a record inside the Top 50 until Where Ya At w Drake.

Honest had Move That Dope w Pharrell and features from Drake, Kanye and ****ing 3 Stacks and sold 10k more than Pluto :lol:

That’s why after Honest his manager said they basically decided Future had to refrain from doing features and rebrand his whole ****.

If streaming was huge and the rules applied in 2012 like they do now that number would be different, those records got way more spin, urban songs kill the charts now and stay in the top 50. I don’t care what you type up, thug is not is big as 2012-2014 future. Everyone just wants him to be.

If streaming was huge and the rules applied in 2012 like they do now that number would be different, those records got way more spin, urban songs kill the charts now and stay in the top 50. I don’t care what you type up, thug is not is big as 2012-2014 future. Everyone just wants him to be.

Idc about whatever **** you typing up either _ :lol:

If Future was this big popular artist drowning in mainstream success why the hell would his manager be coming to him saying you gotta stop doing features and find a better approach?

and I never said he was as big as Future then , I said Future was previously in a niche position like he’s currently in.

_’s didn’t “love” Future across the board like that until the future hive **** and that’s a fact. I don’t even see how that’s arguable.

y’all just be talking. :lol: if u dont like his subject matter thats one thing but he be rapping.

I’m a thug fan, what are you talking about? Thug is a well rounded musician. People who may not understand his level of eccentricity, are going to always dismiss him.

I love Young Thugs music. I’m speaking for those who may be indifferent about him

It’s gotten to the point where people talk more about Thugs sexuality/antics, then music.

That’s not good. Once that line starts to blur, it’s all for naught. A lot of stuff he’s done, has caused him to be a convoluted artist

a blinkin a blinkin lol, I’ve always effed with Thugger. Him Uzi, Travis Scott use to be the “big 3” of that sort of wierd, outcasted, aututuned group.

Uzi and Travis done surpassed buddy’s though

C’mon Str8. You know damn well the streaming measures in 2018 don’t translate fairly to what was being done when Pluto and Honest released. *****s still sold physical copies back then. I’ve never seen a pressed CD from Thug.

40K in 2013 =/= 40K in 2018. :lol:

I know that, there’s way more deeper variables than even that but its besides the point. The point is Future was a niche artist having a hard time breaking through until he got social media viral buzz.

I was literally having these same exact “what Future and his team should do” convos with _’s years ago :lol:

And that’s because when Future started dropping albums that’s when we figured out he wasn’t as big as we really thought he was. If you remember Honest got pushed back a lil because he went on tour with Drake. We thought this _ was about to do 150k like Wale and then he dropped and we realized the mainstream wasn’t checking for him like that.

His team realized that as well which is why they came with a new approach Post-Honest.

Honest did 50k in April. Fast forward a lil over a year and he’s doing 150k with DS2 and finally breaking inside the Top 50 :lol: #FutureHive had a lot to do with that.

I know that, there’s way more deeper variables than even that but its besides the point. The point is Future was a niche artist having a hard time breaking through until he got social media viral buzz.

I was literally having these same exact “what Future and his team should do” convos with _’s years ago :lol:

And that’s because when Future started dropping albums that’s when we figured out he wasn’t as big as we really thought he was. If you remember Honest got pushed back a lil because he went on tour with Drake. We thought this _ was about to do 150k like Wale and then he dropped and we realized the mainstream wasn’t checking for him like that.

His team realized that as well which is why they came with a new approach Post-Honest.

Honest did 50k in April. Fast forward a lil over a year and he’s doing 150k with DS2 and finally breaking inside the Top 50 :lol: #FutureHive had a lot to do with that.

Ultimately...I feel what you’re saying in a sense. But the music had to be superb over the course of 3 outstanding projects in a row in order for Future to grab the “underdog” attention and ultimately “future hive” which led to the masses eventually picking it up in like May 2015.

So it all goes back to the quality of projects.

Ultimately...I feel what you’re saying in a sense. But the music had to be superb over the course of 3 outstanding projects in a row in order for Future to grab the “underdog” attention and ultimately “future hive” which led to the masses eventually picking it up in like May 2015.

So it all goes back to the quality of projects.

That’s a lil bit of my point as well tho. The _ dropped 3 excellent projects back to back to back and it STILL took the social media **** for everything to really pop off. The hype didn’t come until a month or two after 56 Nights.

If Future Hive never happened we would prolly be on here right now talking about how underrated he is :lol:

This stuff not really an exact science

Last edited:
I can agree with that in a sense. But see that kind of goes back to my point. Thug has a “hive” and the DJ’s and talking-heads all say they rock with him. So him putting up 28K is baffling to me.

I understand he dropped on a Sunday night, so there’s a fathomable impact on his numbers. But Slime Language did 44K and Thugger Girls did 37K. Son hasn’t been breaking at least 60K for a minute.

Back
Top Bottom