Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

He still ain't recovered.

3AE74615-5B1D-4DD0-A1A7-BAC24A55E824.png

Nah his first three projects are still good to great. SSLP was always a bit overrated to me tho.

Most of the songs are mad corny now. I found myself skipping 75% of each one recently

Word. Records about a ***** killing his baby moms and beefing with his own moms don't sound so hot to me in 2018. That **** was cool when I was 12.

And what I know now about RAPPING...I don't find him all that impressive. It's ****** all over the world that can rap.

His music isn't timeless. I can throw on Reasonable Doubt and find it MORE impressive as a grown man because I can find jewels in there I didn't understand as a kid. Same with Nas' early work.

Em could always flow...Stan, I am, Superman, patiently waiting, forgot about Dre...dude got bonafide hits...

He always had the super corny as real slim shady, my band, my name is type tracks that caused me to never put him up there wit Hov and Nas or w/e...

Em could always flow...Stan, I am, Superman, patiently waiting, forgot about Dre...dude got bonafide hits...

He always had the super corny as real slim shady, my band, my name is type tracks that caused me to never put him up there wit Hov and Nas or w/e...
nah mechanically as a rapper he is good
no one ever disputed that
he knows his rap history
all that
but he still trash
also soulja boy got bonafide hits and he still trash

nah mechanically as a rapper he is good
no one ever disputed that
he knows his rap history
all that
but he still trash

This. We all know that there plenty of "rappity rap ******" that never made it "big" than can rap. All them Lyricist Lounge ****** from back in the day could "rap". All them white underground ****** like El-P, Aesop Rock, Cage, Slug, etc. could "rap".

We put Eminem on our "Goat" list because he was successful. The platinum albums and the "fame" is why he's on those lists. And know that we know the emptiness of why he got his "fame"...what does he really have to stand on? We know you famous for a reason...so if we hanging our "Eminem is a goat" hat on him being able to rap only...why is he there? Jay, Nas, Pun, etc. are not on our lists ONLY because they can rap. Those ****** have timeless records that STILL resonate with us...for "us"...all of them have at least a few records we can put on at our family re-union. Someone show me the Em record that's gonna go off at the function. why is Eminem is exempt from these rules?

He is quite literally Macklemore with Dr. Dre and edgier content. "They" made us like him.

Last edited:
Eminem is proof that you can be great lyrically and have great flow and still put out trash with sub-par songs. Infinite - Marshall Mathers LP was great, and if he had continued in that vein, he might have an argument, but dude trashed his legacy with everything that followed. Nas has had some missteps but Eminem never released anything as classic as Illmatic and Nas righted the ship a few times with albums like God's Son and Life is Good. Jay-Z also has had some missteps, but Eminem never released anything as classic as Reasonable Doubt and Jay righted the ship a few times with albums like The Blueprint and The Black Album. You can go on down the line with all the others in this conversation for rap's greatest in similar fashion. Eminem's got metas, punchlines, etc. for days, but the corniness and trash songwriting makes him his own worst enemy.

The goal used to be to get adults to spend money. Now it feels like the goal is just to get a kid with a limited attention span to watch or listen to something for more than 3 minutes.

It’s really cheapened the quality of actual art we get. People buy art, people rent disposable music.

Sadly you only have to listen to a song for 30 seconds for it to count as a stream.

I get that Em is washed these days, but cats really rolling with SSLP and MMLP being trash now? :lol:

Internet got you all f’ed up.

You know it’s cool to hate Em.

Em talking about drugs and killing his baby moms but that’s not cool today. Most of my boys want to kill their baby mom and everyone rapping about drugs but it’s corny or not cool.

Back
Top Bottom