Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

2014- Bobby Shmurda
2015- Young Ma (bit Bobby)
2016- Desiigner (bit future)
2017- Cardi B (bit Kodak)

Very interesting company

I mean this is what occurs when the rules of the culture are demolished..... Lends directly to the point i made earlier

Fans allowed rappers to not be original, fans allowed rappers to make music that is easily replicated, fans allowed the state of mainstream rap to exactly alike........ so can't be mad at NYC artist for following the blueprint this new era of rap laid out.... interestingly enough this switched happened when the music shifted to the south

Last edited:
I mean this is what occurs when the rules of the culture are demolished..... Lends directly to the point i made earlier

Fans allowed rappers to not be original, fans allowed rappers to make music that is easily replicated, fans allowed the state of mainstream rap to exactly alike........ so can't be mad at NYC artist for following the blueprint this new era of rap laid out.... interestingly enough this switched happened when the music shifted to the south

This has to do with the genre getting bigger in general man. Hip Hop culture is now pop culture for everybody.

12-14 yr old girls in 02 was bumping Avril Lavigne and Good Charlotte. They listening to **** like Drake, Post Malone, Chance, etc these days.

If we can blame that on the south then we can blame NYC for championing all these fly by night 1 hit biters. They all got hot at home first.

Last edited:
This has to do with the genre getting bigger in general man. Hip Hop culture is now pop culture for everybody.

12-14 yr old girls in 02 was bumping Avril Lavigne and Good Charlotte. They listening to **** like Drake, Post Malone, Chance, etc these days.

If we can blame that on the south then we can blame NYC for championing all these fly by night 1 hit biters. They all got hot at home first.

in 02 12-14 year old girls were still bumping hiphop, whether Nelly, Em, 50 etc etc.... Hiphop has been pop culture for quite some time now. What has changed is that somewhere along the lines people have allowed that crowd to dictate the rules & customs of the culture.

and if we are gonna talk about fly by night 1 hit biters........... i'm damn sure not gonna say NYC is the figurehead of that. honestly that is a straight lie. for the most part peoples entire critique of NYC artist was that due to their content & custom of being "too lyrical" they couldn't produce hits...

My point is the fan demographics have DRASTICALLY changed. This year Hip Hop dethroned Rock as the most popular music in the U.S. for the first time ever. It's not like black people just started listening to more Hip Hop.

We just saw a _ walk away unscathed after reference tracks leaked because his fans don't care about that type of ****. You think these type of fans care about who biting who? If Drake fanbase was made up of 30+ golden age hip hop purist he would've been done. It's like when Panda was growing, a whole bunch of ATL DJs was like "Nah I ain't spinning it" and that **** didn't even matter a lil bit.

The "people" "allowing" that crowd to dictate the culture are the labels, corporations, etc i.e. the people we sold this **** to. Entertainment industries follow the money and adjust to whoever spending it. Same thing happening in the film industry. All we get is Superhero/Comic Book and 3D Theme park type movies from the major studios nowadays cause that's whats selling

*****s love hot pocket rap but get mad when NYC artist do it that turn into #1 singles :lol:

I wasn't even being serious :lol: I only said it cause this _ came with that lame "interesting how biting is allowed now that the south blah blah" ****.

On the real tho, only 2 of those songs went #1 and they both literally mimicked an already popular southern artist to do it :nerd:

Looks like being a hardcore NYCer sound wise has limited appeal outside of the tri state :nerd:

:nerd:

I'd wager there are more NYC/East Coast dudes that faded away than southern artists. Evidence by the examples of "real hip hop" from those areas are often older artist rarely newer artists

I'd wager there are more NYC/East Coast dudes that faded away than southern artists. Evidence by the examples of "real hip hop" from those areas are often older artist rarely newer artists

What is your definition of fading away....... because there's TONS of artist who make east coast heavy music & continue to tour & release projects (Bronson, Badass, Flatbush, Smoke Dza etc etc) yet they never had a "HIT".... as opposed to an artist who had one big club song.... and never developed an actual fanbase because the song is bigger than them.

this was the narrative that people kept using to bash NYC artist this past decade, "blah blah blah yea dude can rap, but what's charting? what's his/her biggest records in the club"......... fast forward to today an NYC rapper has had one of the biggest hits in music period the past 4 years....... and now we're gonna bash them for making music that's geared towards the masses & the popular sound of today?? it can't go both ways

ya'll can't bash the artist with a consistent catalog & core fanbase who doesn't have a hit, & then bash the Artist who has a HUGE record & no strong catalog or fanbase.

in 02 12-14 year old girls were still bumping hiphop, whether Nelly, Em, 50 etc etc.... Hiphop has been pop culture for quite some time now. What has changed is that somewhere along the lines people have allowed that crowd to dictate the rules & customs of the culture.

and if we are gonna talk about fly by night 1 hit biters........... i'm damn sure not gonna say NYC is the figurehead of that. honestly that is a straight lie. for the most part peoples entire critique of NYC artist was that due to their content & custom of being "too lyrical" they couldn't produce hits...

Of course you wouldn't say that cuz you defend everything NY. :lol:

The south has had a lot of trash 1 hit rappers since snap music but NY has had trash 1 hit rappers too. Mims, Lil Mama, Chicken Noodle Soup etc. Now, everything that really pops outta NY is biting off the south. So you can't blame one region for ruining hip hop when the "mecca" is biting and jacking.

To me the biggest reason why vultures can come in is the internet. Copying hip hop culture is easier to do now. And the bar for quality has dropped. In the south and in NY. That's why to me the West has been making better music for a good 2-3 years now.

My point is the fan demographics have DRASTICALLY changed. This year Hip Hop dethroned Rock as the most popular music in the U.S. for the first time ever. It's not like black people just started listening to more Hip Hop.

We just saw a _ walk away unscathed after reference tracks leaked because his fans don't care about that type of ****. You think these type of fans care about who biting who? If Drake fanbase was made up of 30+ golden age hip hop purist he would've been done. It's like when Panda was growing, a whole bunch of ATL DJs was like "Nah I ain't spinning it" and that **** didn't even matter a lil bit.

The "people" "allowing" that crowd to dictate the culture are the labels, corporations, etc i.e. the people we sold this **** to. Entertainment industries follow the money and adjust to whoever spending it. Same thing happening in the film industry. All we get is Superhero/Comic Book and 3D Theme park type movies from the major studios nowadays cause that's whats selling

I wasn't even being serious :lol: I only said it cause this _ came with that lame "interesting how biting is allowed now that the south blah blah" ****.

On the real tho, only 2 of those songs went #1 and they both literally mimicked an already popular southern artist to do it :nerd:

Looks like being a hardcore NYCer sound wise has limited appeal outside of the tri state :nerd:
:nerd:

yea the industry has played a part indeed, however they have been promoting and pushing bull**** for decades, this isn't something new. Rap has always had trash rappers & gimmick songs the thing is that it was always divided. people were able to tell the bull**** from the real & kept the two separate, that has changed.

And let's not act like it's just these young children outside of the culture who have thrown out rules... because there's a lot of grown *** men who are very familiar with 90's, 00's rap who are knowledgeable on hiphop who have also adopted & promoted A lot of this BS rationale in rap, that disregards all rules.

What is your definition of fading away....... because there's TONS of artist who make east coast heavy music & continue to tour & release projects (Bronson, Badass, Flatbush, Smoke Dza etc etc) yet they never had a "HIT".... as opposed to an artist who had one big club song.... and never developed an actual fanbase because the song is bigger than them.

this was the narrative that people kept using to bash NYC artist this past decade, "blah blah blah yea dude can rap, but what's charting? what's his/her biggest records in the club"......... fast forward to today an NYC rapper has had one of the biggest hits in music period the past 4 years....... and now we're gonna bash them for making music that's geared towards the masses & the popular sound of today?? it can't go both ways

ya'll can't bash the artist with a consistent catalog & core fanbase who doesn't have a hit, & then bash the Artist who has a HUGE record & no strong catalog or fanbase.

Fading away to me would be if you came out with a head full of steam and popularity but are not producing that same following/sales/popularity

Of course you wouldn't say that cuz you defend everything NY. :lol:

The south has had a lot of trash 1 hit rappers since snap music but NY has had trash 1 hit rappers too. Mims, Lil Mama, Chicken Noodle Soup etc. Now, everything that really pops outta NY is biting off the south. So you can't blame one region for ruining hip hop when the "mecca" is biting and jacking.

To me the biggest reason why vultures can come in is the internet. Copying hip hop culture is easier to do now. And the bar for quality has dropped. In the south and in NY. That's why to me the West has been making better music for a good 2-3 years now.

I never said NYC didn't have one hit wonders........ ya mans tried to state that NYC is the one who POPULARIZED that trend & that a Lie. and again at the height of east coast music being at the forefront, biting wasn't dismissed, being unoriginal wasn't dismissed..... people tried it surely, but it was never promoted & championed. That lack of accountability has picked up traction in the last 5 the 10 years, in which the South has championed a lot of artist who sound the same & copy eachother.

I vividly remember cats saying nobody wanna hear all that lyrical ****, we don't care about those kind of beats etc etc. so as that attitude continued there was a portion of rap coming from the south that was being pushed, that was much easier to duplicate because it's simpler to make.

At some point we switched from Original Artist who actually had **** to say (Jeezy, Ross, Tip, Luda, Gotti, Gucci, Slim Thug etc etc) to promoting cats who were copying or just not that good at rapping for the sake of money or connections.

So it's just hypocritical to complain about these NYC artist copying the south, when it's southern rappers who ushered in this era where biting is okay.

Last edited:

Wrong. Think about some of all the southern artist from the past fifteen years.

I never said NYC didn't have one hit wonders........ ya mans tried to state that NYC is the one who POPULARIZED that trend & that a Lie. and again at the height of east coast music being at the forefront, biting wasn't dismissed, being unoriginal wasn't dismissed..... people tried it surely, but it was never promoted & championed. That lack of accountability has picked up traction in the last 5 the 10 years, in which the South has championed a lot of artist who sound the same & copy eachother.

So it's just hypocritical to say look at these NYC artist copying the south, when it's southern rappers who ushered in this era where biting is okay.

So NY was at the forefront late 90's- 00's. Biting wasn't accepted in the south either back then. All of hip hop at that time played by the same rules. Outkast, No Limit, Cash Money, Scarface, UGK, 3-6 mafia. None of them sounded the same.

You right it has been a lack of accountability. That's on hip hop as a whole. The south has had rappers that sound the same. NY is doing the same thing. You can't just put it on the south when NY's standards have dropped too. When NY don't care that much about lyrics either. NY ain't making the next Nas or Jay. They making whats popular. People in NY want the same mumble rap and drill and trap. That's why Bobby Shmurda, Designer and Cardi had and got their hits. NY can't be the mecca and home of hip hop but then get no blame. Don't work like that.

Lil mama has made a decent career for herself. A one hit wonder who actually carved a lane out for herself when the music **** dried up. Whats Trinidad James doing ? YC ? Or all the other zillion hot pocket rappers from down south who had a "hit" and faded to oblivion.

Lil mama has made a decent career for herself. A one hit wonder who actually carved a lane out for herself when the music **** dried up. Whats Trinidad James doing ? YC ? Or all the other zillion hot pocket rappers from down south who had a "hit" and faded to oblivion.

How you gon champion Lil Mama, when Trinidad James has the same story? Some of ya'll can't even be objective. Just pure regional bias :rofl::rofl:

That's good she found something other than music but we are talking about music not lifetime movies.

Yea were the bias ones. Lot of yall just hate on NYC every chance y'all get its just tired. The internet now owns rap music but y'all still try to discredit NYC every chance y'all get like the inferiority complex is real. I didn't even bring Lil mama up someone else did but I can't even speak about her still having relevancy in the entertainment business after her one and only hit lol

I have no bias. I rarely speak on region when dealing with music unless it's about a specific sound. Trinidad James and Lil Mama career are the same when it comes to music. You champion one, and put down the other. BIAS.

So NY was at the forefront late 90's- 00's. Biting wasn't accepted in the south either back then. All of hip hop at that time played by the same rules. Outkast, No Limit, Cash Money, Scarface, UGK, 3-6 mafia. None of them sounded the same.

You right it has been a lack of accountability. That's on hip hop as a whole. The south has had rappers that sound the same. NY is doing the same thing. You can't just put it on the south when NY's standards have dropped too. When NY don't care that much about lyrics either. NY ain't making the next Nas or Jay. They making whats popular. People in NY want the same mumble rap and drill and trap. That's why Bobby Shmurda, Designer and Cardi had and got their hits. NY can't be the mecca and home of hip hop but then get no blame. Don't work like that.

I'm not saying that NYC Today doesn't support this kind of music, or a lack of originality........... what i am saying is that DJ's, Producers, other artist, Fans etc etc from the south are the ones who ushered in this climate where A lot of the "hit" songs sound the same. They OK'd this change to the culture, NYC tried to resist it for awhile & because the music those artist were making didn't sound like what was "Hot" in the south, they were dismissed & clowned for it.

In turn the newer generation saw what happened to those artist & had to acclimate their sound to fit in, personally i would rather everyone just do their own thing & not try & sound like eachother. However i'm not gonna shame NYC artist specifically for "sticking to the popular sound" when every other region does it & doesn't get the same kind of backlash or scrutiny for it.

So before I comment any further, when y'all say the "South" y'all basically just referring to ATL right? :lol:

James is at influencer status. May no longer be on the mic but he's a somebody in the fashion industry

Back
Top Bottom