Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Always felt weird about this. Folks will tell black people who own their own that they taxin with the prices but turn around and buy name brands and give the profits to already rich white folks who are pulling profits off the backs of underpaid folks in bad conditions and damn near slave conditions sometimes.

I feel like if you gonna support capitalism don't do too much pickin and choosing. Folks will tell you get your money, and listen to rappers talkin about gettin money, then be mad cuz you tryina get your money... Mf fickle as hell.

They pick and choose bruh. Like Juvenile said “If I got it to spend, I got it to give” people drop racks at designer boutiques and car dealerships but won’t even throw a homeless person $2.

I think it comes from the sense of the fact that a small basically unknown company charging "Gucci prices" hits people the wrong way.

Not saying it's right but people feel "safe" buying brands that they know will either survive a number of washes or will at the very least garner the respect they are looking for from other people (I know people shouldn't care about what other people think but let's live in reality).

I agree with this depending on which items we're talking about from these brands. some things are genuinely well made & have elaborate materials that cost real money to make. there's extreme attention to detail & quality. I could see why someone pays a premium for that.

However a lot of these brands (especially since High fashion has become intertwined with streetwear) are taking marginally better cotton, Denim etc etc and just slapping Logos on it & people are eating it up. deep down a lot of people have this idea that somehow black artist aren't as creative, or aren't as skilled as their white counterparts & it irks my soul.

And clothes is pretty minuscule in this equation, it's done with so much more.

....Lastly, people was just crying about Gucci 3 weeks ago :lol: :rofl:

It’s funny man. People just want to be involved in something.

“Grieving for likes” culture :lol:

I agree with this depending on which items we're talking about from these brands. some things are genuinely well made & have elaborate materials that cost real money to make. there's extreme attention to detail & quality. I could see why someone pays a premium for that.

However a lot of these brands (especially since High fashion has become intertwined with streetwear) are taking marginally better cotton, Denim etc etc and just slapping Logos on it & people are eating it up. deep down a lot of people have this idea that somehow black artist aren't as creative, or aren't as skilled as their white counterparts & it irks my soul.

And clothes is pretty minuscule in this equation, it's done with so much more.

Yea, I learned the "cost of making" stuff watching people make knives by hand. Used to be mad that the ones I wanted were $600+ but once you watch how much work goes into making em, you really see the time and expertise that can't be duplicated.

With high fashion, you're almost always paying for the brand/name more than you are an above average product. I won't even say "deep down" , we've been fed that black people are certain things so long that we feel it's the way things are. But if current times are any indication of times to come, that will change. I'm waiting now to buy some art from some black artists for my house and gonna start working on preparing to setup some art shows in the future.

A $5000+ Jesus piece ain’t exploitive...? C’mon bro. Kids and adults alike will ROB you for a chain or medallion. Chain snatching is a “staple of hip hop”

Me and you usually see eye to eye but I disagree. Preachers and churches exploit people DAILY.... but yeah, let’s ridicule Kanye

I already said that :lol:

Did you read anything I typed?

Religious iconography/symbolism/messaging been big in fashion and just pop culture in general for a cool min. We see it so much we don’t even think twice about it usually, until it’s a _ we don’t **** selling it lol

The fact that this discussion about Kanye is actually interesting tho considering bruh been doing religious oriented **** his entire career

Like bruh LITERALLY came in selling Jesus Walks With Me merch :lol: :smh:

Edit: They stretching Joe too thin, bruh really fishing for topics to get angry about :lol:

Last edited:
I've never understood the outrage of people using religious/spiritual symbolism as inspiration (unless it's done in disrespect) but then again like i said i'm not big on religion.

Somebody called him the “hood” T-Pain... as if T-Pain ain’t hood. Like, dudes just be saying the lousiest stuff. The man made “I’m in love with a stripper”, even did the “I’m so good” hook but yeah... :lol:

You'll gon really see the way that I handle it
You gon' get to be ****ed down
Or you gon' get ****ed up
Its kill or be killed,
Get ****ed or get ****ed up

I kept seeing people hype that new project...and wanted to cut my ears off midway through it.

I don't know what drugs you have to be on to enjoy that **** but it ain't for me

Rock wit Greedo and turned it off half way in. Too much autotune

God Level a better start if you tryna get into Greedo

Somebody called him the “hood” T-Pain... as if T-Pain ain’t hood. Like, dudes just be saying the lousiest stuff. The man made “I’m in love with a stripper”, even did the “I’m so good” hook but yeah... :lol:

I said he was the hood T Pain, we saying two different things tho, Im meaning moreso the “street” T Pain

T Pain not a street _ so his perspectives and just overall references are way different than somebody like Greedo

Back
Top Bottom