Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

First heard midnight mauraders in 2015. Lol

Cant speak for anyone else’s late put on’s but, i grew up without cable TV which was a BIG part of consuming hiphop back in the day.

Also, i didnt have anyone older than me to put me onto this n that. I discovered this **** on my own.

Certain songs/artists grabbed my attention, others didn’t @ the time.

And in my HS, everyone chose their rap cliques to ride with and pretty much said **** everything else. Lol for me, it was all about rocafella, CMR and BNTH.

Never heard the miseducation of lauryn hill either, even tho im pretty sure the majority of it was on the radio @ the time.

My latest homework assignment is redman. Ive heard his first 2-3 albums are certified classics.

Missed the wu wave too. That reminds me, heard supreme clientele for the first time in 2010. SUPER CLASSIC album. **** was on my phone for the LONGEST.

N yeah, GTA put me on alotta west coast legends too.

Last edited:
Honestly there's still some **** i haven't ventured too deep into, like i've heard them just being around people/singles/popular songs etc etc but a lot of artist i just haven't fully dug into.

ATCQ is probably the most prominent. actually a lot of groups that didn't have that aggressive street rap/ flashy rap i missed out on because as a teen it just didn't click the same as it does now.

I cant think of no legends or older acts I slept on. I had an older brother who hung out with older cats so I was raised on that golden age ****. I know I always thought Redman was cool but I always thought he was just a comedy dude. Heard Muddy Waters and it changed everything. Also never paid attention to Doom till Danger Mouse/Adult Swim stuff and even then I didn't dive into his catalog till I heard King Ghidora

Thats another one I meant to check for.

Remember alotta people giving mf dooms first album high praise.

There are so few legendary acts that I'll go back and listen to their older or classic albums, but if there are legends still making music I'll check them out to see what kind of artist they are. Recently I've listened to Jim Jones, Nas, Slim Thug, Boosie, and a few others that I can't immediately remember and it's interesting to hear a full project from older legendary acts and compare their sound to what's recent

Oh yeah DOOM is in there for sure. I gave a lot of his music a fair shot in my mid to late teens, but just couldn't get into it.

I listened to Madvillainy probably two years ago and something just clicked.

That's why I always try to go back to stuff periodically.

Everything was pretty much in real time, but probably Scarface, Outkast and 400 Degreez. I heard Scarface and Outkast in real time through my college roommate and pretty much dismissed them.

Post legends you started listening to “late” and what made you give em a chance.

Nas -the battle with jay. I was actually hatin on dude without knowing anything about him just bc it was team rocafella or nothin @ the time. Lol a friend lemme hear “your da man” from stillmatic, then **** changed. Lol not to mention, the first time i saw the video for one mic was an experience for me.

Stillmatic was actually the first album i had from dude. First heard illmatic in 2004 on the 10 year anniversary re-release. Lol

Lil Uzi.

D6Akh3YX4AIH3fx.jpg

D6Akh3YXsAEn4HT.jpg

D6Akh3qW0AEydBl.jpg

D6Akh3uXoAASuez.jpg

Everything was pretty much in real time, but probably Scarface, Outkast and 400 Degreez. I heard Scarface and Outkast in real time through my college roommate and pretty much dismissed them.

How you feel bout face and kast right now?

When did you decide to listen to 400?

Back
Top Bottom