Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Yeah aight :rofl:
Ay, what's funny is I'm making excuses for Ye's so called bad albums but no one caught me ****ting on his most overrated pop ******** album. Guess it's cuz you wouldn't be able to argue that all I'm doing is making excuses.

Ay, what's funny is I'm making excuses for Ye's so called bad albums but no one caught me ****ting on his most overrated pop bull**** album. Guess it's cuz you wouldn't be able to argue that all I'm doing is making excuses.

6E32CF2E-7F11-4B46-B1AD-3788DA7679DF.gif

I’m really just noticing I only listen to 2 maybe 3 tracks off that album still.

I don't think his music is getting a pass. It isn't as good as young Ye, but still better the a lot of folks stuff.

And honestly, TLOP and Yeezus are no where near the bad. Nah. Them ****s better than Graduation pop stadium bull**** that wasn't talking bout nothing.

Man I agree tbh, I’m taking TLOP over Graduation

Kanye can literally do and say anything and it will get excused by his stans. And he knows this, and this is why we get nutty Kanye every few months. That's what keeps him in the news and popular.

If it's about music. The music isn't entertaining.

Kanye is judged for everything but his music.

When do we ever talk about Kanye's actual music anymore? It came and went.

Let Dr Dre release a bad album tomorrow. You'll hear he's washed. You won't hear a bunch of excuses. And Dre has 30+ years of catalog. None of that would matter.

Dre is a bad example bruh :lol:

Kanye still tapped in w the young _’s

He really shouldn't be, he's 40+ and would be getting clowned if he wasn't Kanye.

Everyone is old, dusty and washed if they're 30+ unless it's a rapper they like

Dudes like Kanye, Gucci, 2chainz, Pharrell etc have kinda made it a point throughout their careers to be open to whatever the youth got going, so I think when it’s a situation like that the perception is gonna be different

They looking at these _’s like “cool dads” not out of touch/“washed up” 40 yr olds

Dudes like Kanye, Gucci, 2chainz, Pharrell etc have kinda made it a point throughout their careers to be open to whatever the youth got going, so I think when it’s a situation like that the perception is gonna be different

They looking at these _’s like “cool dads” not out of touch/“washed up” 40 yr olds

Kanye has looked like an out of touch and washed 40 year old though

It can be a left turn but it being "lower quality" is your opinion based on what you like. To me it's different than what he's done before but it's still good. If folks want to debate/discuss whether or not it's good hip hop/rap I'll understand that conversation since Yeezus, TLOP, & Ye aren't technical hip hop albums.

I don't think contrarians make up as big of a percentage to Ye fans or feigned Ye supporters as people think. I think people understand things that others can't because parts of their lives grants them different viewpoints. The same way a hood dude can understand certain kinds of pain and if one artist can tap into that feeling or description that same hood dude is able to connect with that artist in a way others might not understand. If you don't make that same connection or have that same understanding what's the purpose of questioning what somebody else understands but you don't?

Folks don't seem to care to understand things that they don't get, they seem more prone to just piss on it like "If it don't makes sense to me then it don't make sense at all." And that's not how the world works as a whole. Sure if you don't get it, you don't get it but that doesn't mean that anybody who says they do get it are just saying it to be cool or saying it because they are mindlessly following somebody/the crowd
I don't know man. When I say 'lower quality' I literally mean the outright quality of the music. Not necessarily how good it is, but how 'clean' it sounds. He clearly started using different sounds, and doesn't completely stick to a structure the way he used to. He's also changed the tone of his voice a lot in this era of his career. Some people argue that the low-fi thing (which a lot of artists dabble in) was a creative decision that was genius to shift to such an unorthodox style. I disagree. Taking a look at his decision making over the last decade, I think it's clear he doesn't put much thought into a lot of what he says and does, so I have a hard time trying to convince myself that this shift is plain genius because it's Kanye. Knowing Kanye, I think we can all agree he leans a lot closer to throwing **** against a wall and seeing what sticks than he has ever in his career. I'm not sure why some people ignore that fact, and offer his music that benefit of the doubt.

To each his own. If you like how it sounds, I don't want to take anything away from that. We all experience things different, and all opinions are valid...just looking at the course of events over the last decade, I have a hard time believing that the ***** that married Kim Kardashian and said slavery was a choice on TMZ is the most thoughtful introspective guy.

I don't know man. When I say 'lower quality' I literally mean the outright quality of the music. Not necessarily how good it is, but how 'clean' it sounds. He clearly started using different sounds, and doesn't completely stick to a structure the way he used to. He's also changed the tone of his voice a lot in this era of his career. Some people argue that the low-fi thing (which a lot of artists dabble in) was a creative decision that was genius to shift to such an unorthodox style. I disagree. Taking a look at his decision making over the last decade, I think it's clear he doesn't put much thought into a lot of what he says and does, so I have a hard time trying to convince myself that this shift is plain genius because it's Kanye. Knowing Kanye, I think we can all agree he leans a lot closer to throwing **** against a wall and seeing what sticks than he has ever in his career. I'm not sure why some people ignore that fact, and offer his music that benefit of the doubt.

To each his own. If you like how it sounds, I don't want to take anything away from that. We all experience things different, and all opinions are valid...just looking at the course of events over the last decade, I have a hard time believing that the ***** that married Kim Kardashian and said slavery was a choice on TMZ is the most thoughtful introspective guy.
Now i can agree with a good portion of this.

I had a post in a different thread saying I wish Ye tried as hard to create magic as he did with the Runaway short movie. That level of thoughtfulness and effort from Ye are long gone.

He has admitted as much in interviews. Saying he has a team of folks who he gives his diaries to to mold them into lyrics. He obviously has a team of producers under him (I know for absolute fact that a lot of his production credit on GLC's Love, Life, Loyalty album is the work of ghostproducers).

I sat down and watched his David Letterman interview. That moment where he goes "oh so y'all ain't gon clap for that huh" is all I need to really know about Ye's state. He's gassed up by yes men.

Of course some can, and I understand that...but I really don't see it personally.

It's such a left turn and the music is almost lower quality than it was earlier in his career, and the point that's made in defense of that is that he's trying something different and he's ever growing...but I remember the reaction to a lot of rappers when they changed their sound, and they never got the passes that Kanye got.

I think part of it at the least has to do with this era where a lot of people are just contrarians to the general opinion just for the sake of contrarianism. The more Kanye stacks the deck against himself by saying and doing dumb ****, the weaker the limb gets for defending Kanye, but it seems people love to go out on a limb and die on unnecessary hills in the day and age of hot takes.

I do respect if some people do enjoy it, but there's definitely a large swath of people who mindlessly approve of anything he does under the guise of artistry.

We know music is subjective and all that. If that's the case all these debates in here should just stop today.

But these Kanye maniacs be really given him a pass the music he been putting for like 7 years. Just look at the excuses they make give when drops a new album.

"Oh you have to travel to understand it"

"the lyrics are bad but Kanye's so much more than a rapper"

So the lyrics are BS but because he got you thinking he's some god like musical figure it's ok? :lol:

Is Kanye really tapped in? :lol:

Them young chicago _'s have said they have no rapport with him. Just seem like he jump on **** while the train is already moving to feed off their shine.

I feel like Ye's biggest problem is that he is abysmal when it comes to communicating his thoughts. One thing that stuck with me around that time when he first started the Trump ish is T.I. did an interview and he said that Ye speaks in riddles. But if you let him keep talking at some length you'll begin to understand what he meant and see where he's coming from.

Is Ye some super amazing deep thinking genius, no. Not to me. But just like anybody else, Ye is seeing things from a different angle based on his current life and unfortunately he opts to often voice those new thoughts and opinions to the public often without full explaining the journey necessary for him to come to that point.

Another thing is Ye is on this kick where he is completely against doing things via the status quo, so if you tell him he shouldn't do something because it's taboo or it has a societal meaning he's prone to do it because he doesn't want to be constrained by somebody else's boundaries. So him on SNL talking about the people backstage telling him not to wear the MAGA hat only empowered him more to wear it because he thinks he can change what the hat represents. It's like he's thinking about the finished product although the building blocks haven't even been purchased.

He sees himself changing things but doesn't yet understand that while he's trying to change things the negativity that he's trying to flip is using him to perpetuate the same hate he's trying to combat. He's got blinders on that he's constructed out of almost childlike naiveté

I sat down and watched his David Letterman interview. That moment where he goes "oh so y'all ain't gon clap for that huh" is all I need to really know about Ye's state. He's gassed up by yes men.

He doesn't have yes men, his whole kick is people can't tell me what I can and cannot do
there's been a few times where he's said that people have tried to get him to do certain things but he does what he wants because he doesn't want to be constrained by what other people say he should or should not do

He doesn't have yes men, his whole kick is people can't tell me what I can and cannot do
there's been a few times where he's said that people have tried to get him to do certain things but he does what he wants because he doesn't want to be constrained by what other people say he should or should not do
I have no inside lane to him, but I don't fully buy this. Can I believe he likes to go against the grain of what is suggested? Sure. Do I think he has a team of people close to him cheering on his decisions to go against the grain? Hell yeah.

We know music is subjective and all that. If that's the case all these debates in here should just stop today.

But these Kanye maniacs be really given him a pass the music he been putting for like 7 years. Just look at the excuses they make give when drops a new album.

Ain't nothing wrong with having a debate as long as you aren't telling somebody else how to feel about a body of music
Just let folks like music and don't let anybody's fans ruin your opinion

Cole fans gas up every Cole release or anything that he does, but I'm not gonna act like it's absurd somebody thinks his music is revolutionary. If that gets ya engine going, good on you

I feel like Ye's biggest problem is that he is abysmal when it comes to communicating his thoughts. One thing that stuck with me around that time when he first started the Trump ish is T.I. did an interview and he said that Ye speaks in riddles. But if you let him keep talking at some length you'll begin to understand what he meant and see where he's coming from.

Is Ye some super amazing deep thinking genius, no. Not to me. But just like anybody else, Ye is seeing things from a different angle based on his current life and unfortunately he opts to often voice those new thoughts and opinions to the public often without full explaining the journey necessary for him to come to that point.

Another thing is Ye is on this kick where he is completely against doing things via the status quo, so if you tell him he shouldn't do something because it's taboo or it has a societal meaning he's prone to do it because he doesn't want to be constrained by somebody else's boundaries. So him on SNL talking about the people backstage telling him not to wear the MAGA hat only empowered him more to wear it because he thinks he can change what the hat represents. It's like he's thinking about the finished product although the building blocks haven't even been purchased.

He sees himself changing things but doesn't yet understand that while he's trying to change things the negativity that he's trying to flip is using him to perpetuate the same hate he's trying to combat. He's got blinders on that he's constructed out of almost childlike naiveté

I think T.I said that cuz he cool with Kanye and he ain't wanna be TOO hard on him. Kanye was c**nin, that's all it was. Wasn't no deep meaning, wasn't no riddle. Son went into that same ol "what about black on black crime" "black people in chicago only care when a white man kills a black man" sellout talking points. He's aware of what he says, he a grown man.

Back
Top Bottom