Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

His beats dried up after I Got That Work. Those 01-03 Cash Money beats sound silly today. Can't put him up there with dudes that had multiple runs.

Post 2003

Top Back
And then What
big S Popping
Go DJ
Bring it Back
Get Your Shine On

Yeah he was chilling after about 06 but from 98-06 he was legendary. Don’t even care about charts but he handled 17 charting albums for cash money by himself. Who else can say that?

Post 2003

Top Back
And then What
big S Popping
Go DJ
Bring it Back
Get Your Shine On

Yeah he was chilling after about 06 but from 98-06 he was legendary. Don’t even care about charts but he handled 17 charting albums for cash money by himself. Who else can say that?

That's 6 songs bruh. :lol:

It sound like I'm hating but I love Fresh. He was great before 98 cuz he did BG's Chopper City album. From 96 to like 2000 he was consistent. After that it was a few joints here and there. Carter 1 got some greats beats then some real dated sounding beats.

The term "ghost producer" doesn't really make any sense. It's been explained ad nauseaum what the difference between production and beat making are.

For all the people that think Daz, Storch, etc. are "ghost producing" for Dre...guarantee you remove Dre from each equation and the music would be DRASTICALLY different.

Like most records from that time period, Daz would probably do the beat, there would be live musicians there to sauce it up (Mannie has this too, I forget their names but they had live instrumentalists that’s why the **** was so soulful) and then Dre would add or take **** out.

But that’s not what people have in their head when they call Dre one of the greatest ever they think he’s really there programming and chopping ****. I’m sure he did put the LA riot samples and all that other **** but at the same time it’s a reason why the credits and who did what is so blurry. Dre wanted that credit and image that he was doing all that **** by himself.

Daz had nothing to do with Califonia Love. That was Dre and Chris "the glove" Taylor.

There's also footage of Mike Dean making beats for Kanye. After College Dropout Kanye had a whole rack of producers working with him. That's why his production got "bigger" after that.

Ain't no secret how Kanye works :lol:

https://djbooth.net/features/2018-06-03-kanye-west-ghostcreators-james-fauntleroy

And this ain't a bad thing. Dre and Kanye are conductors. They orchestrate ****. It's a reason why both of them have worked on so many classic albums. There's way more to being a producer than making the beat. Every producer works other producers. Dre had Daz and Daz has said it out his own mouth that Dre taught him everything and gave him a sound. Dre worked with Scott Storch too but Scott Storch sound ain't that good by himself. Tim had Danja and Tim OBVIOUSLY taught Danja and gave him a sound. Rza worked with other producers. Probably the only ones I never heard had "ghost producers" is Quik and Premo.

I ain’t discrediting Dre.

I look at it like Dre, Ye, Puffy, etc are movie directors and a Daz, Mike Dean, Stevie J/Hitmen are their personnel executing a vision. Knowing how to play a live instrument and knowing how to make a full record are two different skill sets that often don’t overlap and the lie that’s kinda been sold these past 30 years that Dre was at a beat machine doing all this **** by himself is what makes that concept so foreign to accept. ****** shoulda just kept it real from the jump like Puffy kinda did.

Mannie fresh cant sell no damn 200 dollar headphones FOH

In the South he absolutely could you’re tripping. Headphones, keyboards, beat machines...Mannie’s legend is certified and honestly him and Dre probably slowed down around the same time (even tho Dre has the longer overall run). He gets bonus points for probably still hand making his late classics like Big **** Popping or And Then What vs. Dre who has guys like Storch and he comes in and adds and moves **** around.

Dr Dre also didn’t sell 200 dollar headphones the marketing blitz of interscope having that **** everywhere within a year did, he was just a good mascot for someone who looked like they would know what they’re talking about :lol:

Mannie Fresh’s co producer was?

No co producer but Cash money did have a team of instrumentalists I wanna say one of their names was Goldfingaz. But I remember finding an old *** article from like 98 online from when they first were blowing and they listed all of them by name.

Still ain’t no ghost producer or co producer but whenever u hear a crazy guitar lick or organ or something like that it was probably a live instrumentalist.

You’re overestimating how hard it is to sell something. Especially if you’re a decently well known celebrity.

In fact that’s exactly what he shoulda did, had Wayne/Ross/TI/Jeezy/etc. promoting it.

You making it seem like Beats didnt have Iovine involved also....

40 is up there also and I can’t wait till Drake does movies so he can give more people beats.

Any of the potential GOATS we can name had some type of help at some period.

Pusha posted Ross's album on IG so he must not even care he was left off

He shouldn't care. The only thing he misses out on, is getting a writing credit on a commercial release. The verse is out there and people heard it and are talking about it. It was gonna be a win regardless. Like nobody gives a **** about album version of Stomp w/ The Game. That Ludacris verse is the central thing everyone will always remember about that song.

Almost seems planned honestly :lol:

I ain’t discrediting Dre.

I look at it like Dre, Ye, Puffy, etc are movie directors and a Daz, Mike Dean, Stevie J/Hitmen are their personnel executing a vision. Knowing how to play a live instrument and knowing how to make a full record are two different skill sets that often don’t overlap and the lie that’s kinda been sold these past 30 years that Dre was at a beat machine doing all this **** by himself is what makes that concept so foreign to accept. *****s shoulda just kept it real from the jump like Puffy kinda did.

Puff never made a beat or was a DJ though. The Hitmen did that. Puff is a A&R, eye for talent, executive producer. What he does ain't the same as what Dre did. People have known about Scott Storch, Mel Man working with Dre. That ain't been no secret for 30 years. It might be new to you. They got credits on 2001. Mel Man is in the 2001 booklet digging through samples with Dre. :lol:

DreMelman.jpg

Same with Kanye.

He shouldn't care. The only thing he misses out on, is getting a writing credit on a commercial release. The verse is out there and people heard it and are talking about it. It was gonna be a win regardless.

Almost seems planned honestly :lol:

Am I the only one who feels like he dissed Ross on there too because he knew he was gonna take it off?

Something about peers switch gears not as relevant who they want to stand next to...

But it does seem planned because the only way that line works is if he knows Drake is already on the album, on the next song no less :lol:

You rocking with them clown songs Eminem in 2019? My name is? Just lose it? The real slim shady?

Clown music.

Come on son, you better than this. You listing his cheesy catchy singles.

I'm a huge Dre fan, Dre gave Em ****in heat. That ****in Relapse album is one of my favorite albums of the last 10 years production wise and Dre did like 90% of that album. **** flowed so smooth and had its own sound.

Does Wayne have anything close to Lord willin, hell hath no fury, or we got it for cheap?

**** no

Puff never made a beat or was a DJ though. The Hitmen did that. Puff is a A&R, eye for talent, executive producer. What he does ain't the same as what Dre did. People have known about Scott Storch, Mel Man working with Dre. That ain't been no secret for 30 years. It might be new to you. They got credits on 2001. Mel Man is in the 2001 booklet digging through samples with Dre. :lol:

Same with Kanye.

I’d actually consider Puff (and Ye at this point) rich *** mash up DJs.

Taking drums from here, slowing or speeding up this sample, mashing it together and then getting someone to replay instruments over it. That’s the whole Bad Boy shiny suit formula.

But I can see what you’re saying in that he not doing it by hand.

Back
Top Bottom