Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

50 a legend. You may say duh, but that's like the bare minimum standard imo.

I can't think of any guys in rap that are legends that I'd place below 50 in that category. The question becomes who is above him then?

You know, now that I think about it maybe Snoop is the bare minimum standard.

You can be a legend in your city but that dont make you a legend in all of rap/hip-hop.

I gotchu and I agree
the local legend and the international/worldwide legend are completely different. Most people label artists legends based off their personal experiences and it can be hard to say somebody who had a huge impact on your personal Hip-Hop journey is not a legend. Lots of feelings and emotions involved

25 years ago today, the soundtrack to the film Street Fighter was released.

The film was trash, but the soundtrack had some bangers.

various_streetfighterorigina_41pj.jpg

Ice Cube with a song, appropriately called "Street Fighter":

Illmatic-era Nas:

The Pharcyde:

Paris:

MC Hammer and Deion Sanders, which charted in the UK, for some reason. :lol:
Jean-Claude Van Damme and some other Street Fighter actors appear in the music video as well.

Crazy had this soundtrack

One on one was dope

This was also my joint on there,

Uncle Luke a legend? I'd say so.

Too Short? Coin flip imo.

How about Ja? He had the game on lock...was the franchise artist for a label who was killing air play with single after single.

Last edited:
What flow did Twista invent also?

People were rapping fast before Twista.

So if you rap faster than fast that's something legendary?

Das Efx are legends because people bit their style?

I'd say Luke is a legend because of the parental advisory situation and he did walk in the raunchy music....I'd agree on a regional legend or national maybe but not much higher than that

What flow did Twista invent also?

People were rapping fast before Twista.

So if you rap faster than fast that's something legendary?

Das Efx are legends because people bit their style?

again. The double time flow was his staple. After 96 it became a thing. A couple guys took the iggity from dasefx but it was largely seen as a gimmick. in peak of the 90s far as commercialization goes, dudes were rapping fast like Twista.

There shouldn't even be a debate about Luke lol

There's plenty of legends that go unrecognized to the mainstream. Doesn't mean that they're not one just cause people don't bring up their names all the time. Even industry dudes not from Chicago will tell you that Twista is a legend. Some of you just like to go against the grain for no reason lol

Off Topic from the legend talk:

on the list of songs that age well T-Pain "Tipsy" is up there
I wonder what kinda backlash he would have gotten singing about getting a chick tipsy "enough" to get with him

There shouldn't even be a debate about Luke lol

There's plenty of legends that go unrecognized to the mainstream. Doesn't mean that they're not one just cause people don't bring up their names all the time. Even industry dudes not from Chicago will tell you that Twista is a legend. Some of you just like to go against the grain for no reason lol
For many reasons I do agree that Luke is a legend, no brainer. But i would be interested in hearing from some that don't agree.

Also, you saying industry guys not from chicago know twista isn't very impressive. They're in the industry. I would hope they do know twista.

And no comments on too short?

Fine. How about scarface? I mean, he's probably the biggest rapper from Houston so he's gotta be one, right?

I didn't say they know Twista. I said they'd acknowledge that he's a hip hop legend. Too Short is too

And no comments on too short?

Fine. How about scarface? I mean, he's probably the biggest rapper from Houston so he's gotta be one, right?

Scarface is prob more regional and Too Short would reach as a national legend

Too short is a local legend although he been doing it longer than anyone at this point. Even longer than LL. Perhaps his longevity makes him a legend but too many people can’t name music from him

Imma be honest tho, nipsey wasn’t considered a legend until he caught them hot ones.

Speak for yourself, he was a definitely a living legend in my eyes and a lot of other ppls. Nip was the definition of “If you know, you know.” A lotta ppl didn’t know, but it was a lot of us out here who did. His reach extended far beyond just LA...This ain’t Bankroll Fresh we talking about here, RIP and no disrespect to him but it’s a reason his death didn’t hit ppl like Nips.

All the real ****** ****ed with Nip before he died, not just real ****** but ppl with influence in ALL fields. From Jay- Z to Rick Ross to Diddy to James Harden to Kawhichael to Steph Curry to Drake to Michael Thomas etc not to mention being with Lauren London. With all these influential ppl being affected by his death, of course ppl was going to come outta nowhere acting like they were down for day 1 because they just wanted to be apart of something that somebody they looked up to were affected by.

That don’t mean he not a legend. He made legendary moves while he was on Earth and made legendary music that got ppl through some ****, I know that from personal experience...It’s always gone be **** riders but at the end of the day, that doesn’t take away from the work he put in while here.

Some of you are using the orthodox definition of legend.
Hip-hop itself is too unconventional & subjective so it's hard for me to abide by that definition.
Like you can't tell me Big isn't a legend based off the impact that his death had.
What metrics make you a legend?
If it's strictly sales, notoriety, & impact, then we have to remove a lot of guys I'd consider hip-hop legends, and pass that praise to Drake.

Drake will go down as a legend, no matter how many beefs he loses, no matter how much the writing controversy rears it's head, no matter what happens he has been on or near the top far too long to not be considered a legend.

But as it was noted before, if the term legend is applied to a whole slew of people what weight does it hold then? Some folks ain't legends but their impact was big, and that's fine

Nip's death and the people who wanna try so hard to be edgy actually made people downplay how impactful he was before death.

He rolled out Victory Lap for 6-7 years, most dudes woulda fell off. He had all the non-music moves with the store/that corner and the interactivity of inside his store, and in music he was a legend after he sold his mixtape for $100 and Hov bought 1000. That's legendary alone before you even get into TMC, Crenshaw or Victory Lap as actual projects.

Twista gotta be a legend. Money been in the game for 30+ years and 25 of those years he was successful. He's the originator of that style too. Great albums and features. He gotta be one.
Wait so now Twista created that style too?

What is the definition of successful? Cuz again with these parameters I feel like you flcan call Ja Rule a legend.

There's a similar problem with words like pioneer and icon.

Nipsey was kind of an niche artist prior to Victory Lap
I had heard of him but he didn't come up very often in the circles that I've seen, but when he was it was always respect. Like somebody said before he was a "if you know, you know" kind of artist.

No doubt a regional legend, quite certain national legend, international maybe
prior to his death he was in no way an international legend, after it's arguable

kinda hard to sort the genuine love and the "ride the wave love" after he passed

Wait so now Twista created that style too?

What is the definition of successful? Cuz again with these parameters I feel like you fan call Ja Rule a legend.

Not created it so originator isn't the right word but he kind of took it and made it mainstream, mastered it and brought it to people outside of Hip Hop.

I think Ja Rule's run was too short to be a legend and he didn't start any trends or kick down any doors.

Back
Top Bottom