Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

On a serious note though...

When these grown men are crying on camera, you think they ever review the video before posting? It’s weird times we living in, so I can imagine cats saying **** like “oh yeah (sniffle) they gonna feel this” or “nah (sniffle sniffle) gotta get this one again” while their face is covered in tears but the lighting is off.
That's wild and nasty.

two things here

1) Streaming as a whole is pure robbery
2) WE really hate ourselves man :smh:

Nip told us before passing that Tidal pays A Lot more than any other streaming service, Nore has gone on record saying that also (way before the Tidal deal)... The numbers have always backed that up.

and yet somehow artist don't promote and collab with Tidal the way they do with apple Music & Spotify.

Tidal is owned by artist from our culture, pay the most attention to our culture, creates plenty of original content for our culture, and pays almost double what apple music does, and triple what spotify does. Yet we still don't push for it :lol:

1 million streams on Spotify = $ 4,370
1 Million streams on Tidal = $ 12,840

what do artist do..... provide spotify links

two things here

1) Streaming as a whole is pure robbery
2) WE really hate ourselves man :smh:

Nip told us before passing that Tidal pays A Lot more than any other streaming service, Nore has gone on record saying that also (way before the Tidal deal)... The numbers have always backed that up.

and yet somehow artist don't promote and collab with Tidal the way they do with apple Music & Spotify.

Tidal is owned by artist from our culture, pay the most attention to our culture, creates plenty of original content for our culture, and pays almost double what apple music does, and triple what spotify does. Yet we still don't push for it :lol:

1 million streams on Spotify = $ 4,370
1 Million streams on Tidal = $ 12,840

what do artist do..... provide spotify links

Streaming can work for independent artist tho. Nip gives a good breakdown here at the 17:45 min mark to 20 min mark, on why he loved streaming As an Indy.

y’all really don’t like fast technical rap? that’s up the alley of like Tech N9ne, Twista, Busta, etc

I just recently learned all the English words to this :lol:

y’all really don’t like fast technical rap? that’s up the alley of like Tech N9ne, Twista, Busta, etc

I just recently learned all the English words to this :lol:

never really cared for it. i can enjoy it in smaller dosages though. a lot times ppl rapping fast are rapping utter garbage as well.

Streaming can work for independent artist tho. Nip gives a good breakdown here at the 17:45 min mark to 20 min mark, on why he loved streaming As an Indy.

https://www.complex.com/pigeons-and-planes/2018/01/nipsey-hussle-endorses-tidal

Streaming occupies a larger share of music revenue than ever before, forcing both artist and fans to adjust to the new reality and consider which services to patronize. L.A. rapper Nipsey Hussle recently expressed his preference for Tidal, and provided some numbers to back it up.

ATTENTION EVERYONE:

1 Million Streams on YouTube = $690

1 Million Streams on Spotify = $4,370

1 Million Streams on Apple Music = $7,350

1 Million Streams on @Tidal = $12,500

1 Million Streams on Amazon Music = $4,020

Don’t shoot the messenger.
Jus Sign up 4 @tidal 🏁
— THA GREAT (@NipseyHussle) January 15, 2018
Despite being in the game for years, Nipsey has remained innovative when it comes to the business side of the music industry. In December 2014, he pressed just 100 physical copies of his Mailbox Money album, selling them for $1000 each. He did the same thing in 2013 with his mixtape Crenshaw, selling 1,000 copies for $100 each, attracting the attention of Jay-Z, who bought 100 copies himself.

There is some canny self-promition at play here with the tweet, as Hussle recently partnered with Tidal on a documentary called 10 Rings and is gearing up to release his album, Victory Lap, in February. But Tidal's status as the best paying major streaming service has been noted elsewhere: take a look at this graphic which compares payouts from the major streaming companies (if you really want to support artists you could even sign up for Napster). And with Spotify facing a $1.6 billion lawsuit for not properly licensing material or compensating artists, the ethics of streaming are under a microscope.

In a November 2017 interview with Complex, Nipsey talked about his recent partnership with Atlantic Records, cryptocurrency, and the importance of spreading content organically by focusing on his core fans.

I just think that's how life works; I don't think you get anything to a million people at a time. I think that's unrealistic. I don't think a human being observed that. I think that business introduced that ideology. I think human things happen intimate.
So the goal would be, as a content creator, to create a piece of content that affects one person so much that they gotta go share it, and they become your marketing. They become the legs for what you're doing. Because if you focus and zero in, you can inspire a person to a degree that they work for the movement.
Nipsey was also recently criticized for a homophobic comment in an Instagram post about the perception of black men, and was challenged to a charity boxing match by a Bay Area reporter he'd previously criticized. The rapper is certainly keeping his name in the headlines in advance of Victory Lap.

Check out the streaming stats courtesy of Nipsey above, and make sure to watch Pigeons & Planes' Numbers on the Board series exploring the streaming success of rising artists, the latest of which focused on singer-rapper-producer Yaeji.

It's definitely possible to eat well if you an independent, But Nip is kinda hard to Gauge that off of because 1) he didn't start in the streaming era, and he already had one of the biggest followings for a independent artist.

I would love to see what the average independent artist does in streams, and also are these the payouts after the label takes their chunk or before? also royalties and paying out writers/producers etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom