Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

The Meek vs Drake saga CLEARLYYYYY showed the corporate machine was behind Drake. Mfer had burger franchises, ESPN and good morning America, etc behind him. Nobody can compete with that.

He’s only big because of corporate America and other major factors that no other rappers can compete against

The Meek vs Drake saga CLEARLYYYYY showed the corporate machine was behind Drake. Mfer had burger franchises, ESPN and good morning America, etc behind him. Nobody can compete with that.

He’s only big because of corporate America and other major factors that no other rappers can compete against

Thats not a knock against him though, we’ve seen corporations attach themselves to big moments in hip-hop for a long time now, even as far as BK (or Wendys?) dropping a mixtape...these corporations always ride the backs of whats going on in hip-hop (i.e. Travis Scott/McD)

So you saying Sideline Story was just as big as GKMC? With a straight face?

One album sold 800k (which is great) the other is 3x plat and held as a universal classic.

I never mentioned numbers. I’m talking talent. Cole, Ken and Wale are better than Drake.

Nelly dropped a DIAMOND album. No one is saying he’s better than Jay or Nas. I’m strictly talking musically. Not numbers

I never mentioned numbers. I’m talking talent. Cole, Ken and Wale are better than Drake.

Nelly dropped a DIAMOND album. No one is saying he’s better than Jay or Nas. I’m strictly talking musically. Not numbers

I think you lost track of the conversation. We talking about Cole and Kendrick. :lol:

Ummm.... Cole had the Jay Z co-sign in 2008 with “Star is Born” the street n_ in Florida was jaming that song. I put a chic on him 2009 and she fell for the music. His debut got just as much attention. And the Beyoncé feature

This is numbers right? What are you basing attention on?

Thats not a knock against him though, we’ve seen corporations attach themselves to big moments in hip-hop for a long time now, even as far as BK (or Wendys?) dropping a mixtape...these corporations always ride the backs of whats going on in hip-hop (i.e. Travis Scott/McD)

Travis Scott being SPONSORED by McDonalds is completely different than ESPN picking a side or poking fun at meek. Because they prefer Drake

I mean right now we can't him at the top because he hasn't dropped anything in 5 years but when he does :lol:
Nah DAMN. came out in 2017, not to mention him doing the Black Panther soundtrack in 2018.

I follow that stance too and last year was the last year it felt like he could be in the conversation (being in quarantine ain't help either).

Drake def in that spot just cause fam doing all he can to check them boxes off but dude discography finna take hit.

We love Cole but the closest to a classic he’s had is 2014 FHD, that album is universally loved, we know he has the ability for great music so he hardly does no wrong

Kendrick a legend and got classics too, IMO he has also become the safety net for those people who vaguely touch hip-hop and throw his name out in discussion to cover their bases. He will go down as a GOAT

Drake, I was ready to write him off after TML, thought he would be flash in a pan, but the run has been 10+ years, undeniable at this point regardless how you feel about him

I'm not the biggest Cole fan

but why doesn't he get the, but he has no classics treatment that Drake gets

Xscape is going against SWV in versus in May

Do both of them have 20? I think they could get a good 10 off, but 20? Twenty?

I mean right now we can't him at the top because he hasn't dropped anything in 5 years but when he does :lol:

That's my point though. If we're speaking of the top contender, I gotta give it to the dude who's produced great music more consistently. If it takes you 5 years to put out an album, that **** BETTER be fire :lol:

Back
Top Bottom