Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Was just thinking about the Kendrick placement in the rankings last weekend. Dude is undeniable, but the gaps he takes knocks him down a peg in my book. He gives you music that is consistently great, but the 2-4 year hiatus stuff has others edging him out. I gotta go with the go who gives you good music consistently, and is able to do it in a shorter timeframe.

He operates like a pop star, and on his own time frame.

He counters the argument that people have a short memory and you have to put music out constantly.

It's like a restaurant, if the food is good enough, people will wait for it.

People will certainly wait for him music, and I have no doubt that we’ll discuss his project a length when he decides to drop it. But within the context of the conversation about who’s “that guy” I can’t put him at the top of the list because there are other people putting out quality music with a shorter turnaround time. That’s just me though.

A person will wait for the experience at a great restaurant, but are they putting that place top of list of of their favorite/best eateries if they consistently have to wait hours to be seated or let alone served?

I didn't like the song, besides Twista's verse

These are the only ones that exist for me. I was in full **** Bad Boy mode.(pause)

Thank you for this. I gotta subscribe to BHigh's YouTube page. Ive been seeing some clips from his interviews past few days, he gotta be round the same age as me cuz the artists/questions he ask all are relevant to my time period and I love it.

Man hell naw :lol:

Good Kid Mad City solidified Kendrick as the first dude that could come for Drake’s crown. Then there was the Control moment.

Sideline Story was a very decent album but it wasn’t a classic like GKMC.
Cole has influence, how?

He's pretty much the east coast Kendrick in that he's a recluse, and just puts out music when he wants.
Cole sold more, more ppl rap like Cole. That YBN dude w/ the lisp is a Diet Cole. A lot those introspective rappers are Diet Cole.

I think Kendrick’s music will last longer, say 40yrs now, but until 2017 it was 1. Drake 2. Cole 3. Kendrick. Mad ppl thought 4YEO was “boring” and then Kendrick dropped Damn. and passed Cole and Drake’s “playlist”.

Cole has more influence than Kendrick and I like Kendrick more. He “u”, it’s my 2nd favourite on the album, but he a weirdo. I can’t believe he got so big sometimes. Thought this guy was lying when he told me Good Kid did like 232k 1st week :lol: But yeah, a lot of rappers sound like Cole these days. For better or for worse, his voice is very cool and accessible.

Also, up until “Damn.” Cole was the clear 2nd to Drake.

This post just ain't true at all. :lol:

Kendrick came out the gate with a hands down classic album, became a superstar. It took Cole years to get that type of acclaim. Cole hasn't had the moments Kendrick has had.

And Cole has been influential but it ain't like Kendrick's influence. D Smoke is one of Kendrick's sons and he's a big name.

People will certainly wait for him music, and I have no doubt that we’ll discuss his project a length when he decides to drop it. But within the context of the conversation about who’s “that guy” I can’t put him at the top of the list because there are other people putting out quality music with a shorter turnaround time. That’s just me though.

A person will wait for the experience at a great restaurant, but are they putting that place top of list of of their favorite/best eateries if they consistently have to wait hours to be seated or let alone served?

I mean right now we can't him at the top because he hasn't dropped anything in 5 years but when he does :lol:

This post just ain't true at all. :lol:

Kendrick came out the gate with a hands down classic album, became a superstar. It took Cole years to get that type of acclaim. Cole hasn't had the moments Kendrick has had.

And Cole has been influential but it ain't like Kendrick's influence. D Smoke is one of Kendrick's sons and he's a big name.

Ummm.... Cole had the Jay Z co-sign in 2008 with “Star is Born” the street n_ in Florida was jaming that song. I put a chic on him 2009 and she fell for the music. His debut got just as much attention. And the Beyoncé feature

Ummm.... Cole had the Jay Z co-sign in 2008 with “Star is Born” the street n_ in Florida was jaming that song. I put a chic on him 2009 and she fell for the music. His debut got just as much attention. And the Beyoncé feature

His debut was NOT GKMC :lol:

He had that Jay co-sign and people was waiting for years for him to live up to it.

Y’all boys got TERRIBLE memory. J. Cole was the biggest or top 2 rap newcomer in 2008-2011.

Had a feature on Static Selecta with Kweli and Jay Electronica in 2009

We love Cole but the closest to a classic he’s had is 2014 FHD, that album is universally loved, we know he has the ability for great music so he hardly does no wrong

Kendrick a legend and got classics too, IMO he has also become the safety net for those people who vaguely touch hip-hop and throw his name out in discussion to cover their bases. He will go down as a GOAT

Drake, I was ready to write him off after TML, thought he would be flash in a pan, but the run has been 10+ years, undeniable at this point regardless how you feel about him

We love Cole but the closest to a classic he’s had is 2014 FHD, that album is universally loved, we know he has the ability for great music so he hardly does no wrong

Kendrick a legend and got classics too, IMO he has also become the safety net for those people who vaguely touch hip-hop and throw his name out in discussion to cover their bases. He will go down as a GOAT

Drake, I was ready to write him off after TML, thought he would be flash in a pan, but the run has been 10+ years, undeniable at this point regardless how you feel about him
KoD not a classic? Like, I agree it isnt spoken of as a classic. But the album doesnt have a miss.

Back
Top Bottom