Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

You can tell Juice Man hurt bout Deb. I think she said she ain’t do right by him, in one of the interviews tho. That’s f’d up

I’m high right now, but if rap is now “pop” doesn’t that benefit DaBaby being “the guy”?:lol:

Lil Baby is the guy in my opinion though. But it’s on a different level. I don’t think he’s a household name ala Drake, Kanye, Wayne, **** even Migos to a degree.

That's the thing.

It's many different variables in 2021 with sales being "fake" and "not mattering" mainstream being "wack" etc

Da Baby has a TON of chart topping records that are HUGE and just opened up the Grammy.. he's legit on a 2 year run regardless of how annoying or corny he might come off I can't argue with a ***** from Carolina 6pac 6pac who feels he's that ***** right now because the stats prove that

Lil baby is legit in the same tier sans corny behavior

Now onto the other guys

Do I like Freddie Gibbs? No.

But can I argue with anyone saying he's that guy? Nah I can't considering his rapping prowess and the bodies of work he's put out

Durk? I love his music but I can also understand folks who doesn't.

For me? Regardless of how much he's hated Drake is THAT GUY on a superstar and mainstream level he's gonna retire as the most successful rapper of all time overall in terms of how well his projects performed.

in terms of street ****+pure rapping ability I'm riding with Benny.

Future is "that guy" whenever be decides to drop then goes back into hibernation mode

My point is I feel in 2021 too many people have an argument when it comes to being HIM which means there's no clear cut guy

Then when Kendrick drops another monster he's that _ across the board. I don't know if you can stamp a #1 dude with hip hop being as big as it is right now with different lanes. Everybody not listening to the same type of hip hop as opposed to the Pac, Big to Jay, DMX then 50 days. As a whole hip hop fans was listening to those albums.

What’s crazy is 2020 was really supposed to be Roddy Ricch year

His year was still crazy but Baby overshadowed him

Dude Lowkey in the perfect position. Quality debut album that *may* be viewed as classic in years to come and full of hits.

Came in the sweet spot of the end of 2019 and beginning of 2020 and he didn’t oversaturate

It’s gon be some **** if Drake is the last universally acknowledged and accepted “guy” in hip hop.

Snoop
Pac / BIG
DMX
Hov
Em
Wayne
Drake

Once streaming hits it’s harder for one dude to be that “guy” because there’s so many lanes.

Kendrick is somewhere in there too but he never sticks around long enough for it to be his moment for more than that year.
even tho I don’t think dude really cares he has multiple classics at this point

Cole has more influence than Kendrick and I like Kendrick more. He “u”, it’s my 2nd favourite on the album, but he a weirdo. I can’t believe he got so big sometimes. Thought this guy was lying when he told me Good Kid did like 232k 1st week :lol: But yeah, a lot of rappers sound like Cole these days. For better or for worse, his voice is very cool and accessible.

Also, up until “Damn.” Cole was the clear 2nd to Drake.

Do y'all think rap will eventually hit the trajectory other popular genres did in their time and fade out of relevance?
I'll always love it but just curious on your thoughts. I think rock music wasn't acknowledged in the Grammy's for a minute until this year and I heard they kept the award announcements off TV. Jazz gets 0 love. Random late high/drunk thought.

Do y'all think rap will eventually hit the trajectory other popular genres did in their time and fade out of relevance?
I'll always love it but just curious on your thoughts. I think rock music wasn't acknowledged in the Grammy's for a minute until this year and I heard they kept the award announcements off TV. Jazz gets 0 love. Random late high/drunk thought.
One thing rap doesn't do is respect it's elders

That's the main difference between rap and everything else

Eventually it's gonna become an issue when it pertains to "bridging the gap"

**** is already is if we're being honest

I have no idea what rap will sound like in 10 years but I know it'll be a **** ton of "sub categories" like it is now I'm sure I'll be listening to a certain type of current rap at that point but majority older classic stuff

Cole has more influence than Kendrick and I like Kendrick more. He “u”, it’s my 2nd favourite on the album, but he a weirdo. I can’t believe he got so big sometimes. Thought this guy was lying when he told me Good Kid did like 232k 1st week :lol: But yeah, a lot of rappers sound like Cole these days. For better or for worse, his voice is very cool and accessible.

Man hell naw :lol:

Good Kid Mad City solidified Kendrick as the first dude that could come for Drake’s crown. Then there was the Control moment.

Sideline Story was a very decent album but it wasn’t a classic like GKMC.

The melodic trappy sound will peak in the next 5 years and people will confuse *that* wave dying with rap falling off.

It really depends on the next few big new artists and where they take it. Drake, Wayne and Kanye a big reason why rap went in that melodic alternative direction going into the 2010’s.

One thing rap doesn't do is respect it's elders

That's the main difference between rap and everything else

Eventually it's gonna become an issue when it pertains to "bridging the gap"

**** is already is if we're being honest

I have no idea what rap will sound like in 10 years but I know it'll be a **** ton of "sub categories" like it is now I'm sure I'll be listening to a certain type of current rap at that point but majority older classic stuff

That's kind of where my thoughts lay.

We're kind of seeing a resurgence of old heads connecting with some of the "newer" acts i.e Griselda (granted they're not young") and Nas x Hit Boy and Alc and Muggs are putting dudes on.

But yeah, a hot 80s act regardless of genre would kill to work with a Paul McCartney/Herbie Hancock/Miles Davis where as I don't think Lil Baby gives 2 ****s about rapping over a Preemo beat, and that's no knock on him.

The trajectory of music has really been crazy and now it's hard to keep up with so much **** out there because the internet.

Everyone thinks regionality in hip-hop is dead but I still think all the major areas have distinct sounds. Cali/ATL/Detroit have always had similarities in a way but stayed true to their **** (LA stole Bay **** though and I'm still mad we didn't do **** about it), NY has the new drill movement going and ****ting on what UK has put out+the new Boom Bap dudes that Griselda kind of brought back. Westside Gunn had Busta Rhymes rapping about railing lines in the 2010s :lol:

Muggs and Alchemist and Madlib and even El-P still being relevant producers is crazy to me but I love it because they deserve it.

I'm just curious what's gonna be the new "hot" genre after. And I'll be damned if it isn't something a black person started because literally every popular genre is accredited because of them.

Last edited:

Cole has influence, how?

He's pretty much the east coast Kendrick in that he's a recluse, and just puts out music when he wants.

Was just thinking about the Kendrick placement in the rankings last weekend. Dude is undeniable, but the gaps he takes knocks him down a peg in my book. He gives you music that is consistently great, but the 2-4 year hiatus stuff has others edging him out. I gotta go with the go who gives you good music consistently, and is able to do it in a shorter timeframe.

Back
Top Bottom