Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

50 sold an image more than a product. 50 is a very mediocre rapper. That's why he flamed out so quickly.

I’m not that deep into it, but seems to me that was his goal the whole time. Was out for fame and stardom and not to be regarded as a great rapper. It all seemed very calculated starting with How to Rob. He did what he set out to do.

50's catalog is pretty damn mediocre and underwhelming

I don't even find GRODT that playable beyond a handful of songs

50 sold an image more than a product. 50 is a very mediocre rapper. That's why he flamed out so quickly.

veryyyyyyyyy mediocre. Especially by NY standards

Surprised a I found a picture, but yeah, Hov or 50 was an actual debate for a good minute.
1628645495184.png

This was to stir rating. Even 50 know that there’s no comparison

50 got a bunch female records, would personally do Baby by Me or Do You Think About Me before Ayo Technology

Ja def giving 50 pressure but let's not act like half them girl tracks would have to be in the right environment

Their female listeners pushed them both to the top by actually buying their albums, tickets to their shows and sustained them. A hit is a hit. Murda Inc has a more timeless catalog of hits than G Unit without a doubt.

I’m not that deep into it, but seems to me that was his goal the whole time. Was out for fame and stardom and not to be regarded as a great rapper. It all seemed very calculated starting with How to Rob. He did what he set out to do.

I never knew 50 was on this song but I remember this song a lot :lol:

I never knew 50 was on this song but I remember this song a lot :lol:

Onyx :nerd: LOL.

I loved 90s rap, but man there were a lot of gimmicky groups. Onyx, Das Efx, X Clan, The Afros, etc. They all had some good songs, but the gimmicks were not long-term sustainable.

Onyx :nerd: LOL.

I loved 90s rap, but man there were a lot of gimmicky groups. Onyx, Das Efx, X Clan, The Afros, etc. They all had some good songs, but the gimmicks were not long-term sustainable.

This is true

I think Onyx, well Sticky was actually a dope rapper and should have gone solo like Busta. By the time he did he went to a wack label and released that gimmicky Kirk Jones album that should have gotten a ton of people fired for approving and pushing that.

Brother J was dope at saying nothing and has one of the best voices of all time.

I think at a point it became about being unique to get a deal and it was more style than substance like Digable Planets and Camp Lo.

This is true

I think Onyx, well Sticky was actually a dope rapper and should have gone solo like Busta. By the time he did he went to a wack label and released that gimmicky Kirk Jones album that should have gotten a ton of people fired for approving and pushing that.

Brother J was dope at saying nothing and has one of the best voices of all time.

I think at a point it became about being unique to get a deal and it was more style than substance like Digable Planets and Camp Lo.

I haven't gone back to that Kirk Jones album since like high school but I thought it was well received? I didn't listen to it until awhile after it came out

I haven't gone back to that Kirk Jones album since like high school but I thought it was well received? I didn't listen to it until awhile after it came out

I liked it, but a concept album was a no no commercially. It flopped.

That's something that was cool if you wanted to be on a certain level. Like Masta Ace and Prince Paul were doing it. That **** went over the publics head.

Thinking about that. This was a dope album.

This is true

This didn’t help Sticky either.

- I forgot about Fu Schnickens. Biggest claim to fame now is helping Shaq get his start as a rapper. But I liked their stuff.

Back
Top Bottom