Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

I wonder if Kanye was writing his stuff around this time.

I actually like his verses from this era better than the latter part of his career :lol:
When he first came out, GLC, Consequence, Rhymefest, and a few others helped him out with the rhymes

His verses were more grounded cuz he had that element around. It was a noticeable difference when they weren’t around anymore.

I’m from the Midwest where you can see folks dressed fly as often as you see someone dressed like a bamma… so in my experience, from how folks wore Bape, it was clear Clipse influenced some while Wayne influenced others.

Me personally, I was checking for Bape before I even knew what it was because N.E.R.D. and Neptunes spoke to me

I’d say it depends on what you were listening to. I’m almost certain Hustler Musik video was the first time I probably noticed BAPE. I knew who Pharrell was but wasn’t listening to him like that nor do I remember any videos from him before Frontin’

*I’m not claiming was the first to wear BAPE. He’s just the first one I remember wearing it.
100%.

Me and people my age were not paying attention to anything Pharrell. Weezy was that guy for Bape in my area.

*I’m not claiming was the first to wear BAPE. He’s just the first one I remember wearing it.

That's why it's funny how people were acting like it was blasphemous that Jay and Dame didn't **** with Kanye at first. Dude jumped out the gate with ghostwriters, so imagine what his rapping was like prior?

but it was cool because the producer having writers was acceptable like with Dre and Pete Rock.

Pharrell wore it right. He put that **** on fr. I miss this era.
Scene-Pharrell-Frontin.png

pharrell-bape

MS0xOTMyLmpwZWc.jpeg

2004-mtv-video-music-awards-japan-show.jpg

100%.

Me and people my age were not paying attention to anything Pharrell. Weezy was that guy for Bape in my area.

I’m 36 this summer, my best friend from HS was all about Pharrell/Neptunes. He def had his Wayne phase as well, but I remember him being into Neptunes/Bape before Carter 2 Wayne even. Granted this friend of mine has always been very into music production as well, which Pharrell leaned heavy into that side of things.

Back
Top Bottom