Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

There's more of a balance in men's music and I've been hypercritical of rap music.

From Nicki and Cardi to Meg and Latto. It's all the same. I think that's the biggest reason they don't sell. Nobody needs to buy your music, because it's 100 other chicks making the exact same music.

What's the difference? You like a hook or beat better?
There's more variety in male rap, but the mainstream male artists that get promoted aren't that balanced. I'm talking from an easily accessible point of view.

If I wanted to listen to the latest rap songs and go to the "Rap" playlist on my streaming service, 90% of the songs are basically covers of Durk/Thugger/Uzi/21/Lil Baby/Youngboy and the latest Drake,Kendrick,Travis track. Every now and then you get a sprinkle of something different, but you still have to search or get put on for alternatives and make an effort to keep up with that artist.

I'd like to hear who the women Fab says he enjoys listening to that arent the Nicki/Cardi/Meg/SexxyRed crowd. Would be dope if he could hop on tracks with them to give them shine.

Miseducation I thought he was talking about.

But even still Killing me softly was a worldwide smash.

If you want to do the singing thing, how many other singers were going even close to diamond then?

Mariah?

There's a correlation with labels pushing hypersexualized and violent music, when you can see examples otherwise that it's not the only thing that sells or gets attention.

There's more variety in male rap, but the mainstream male artists that get promoted aren't that balanced. I'm talking from an easily accessible point of view.

If I wanted to listen to the latest rap songs and go to the "Rap" playlist on my streaming service, 90% of the songs are basically covers of Durk/Thugger/Uzi/21/Lil Baby/Youngboy and the latest Drake,Kendrick,Travis track. Every now and then you get a sprinkle of something different, but you still have to search or get put on for alternatives and make an effort to keep up with that artist.

I'd like to hear who the women Fab says he enjoys listening to that arent the Nicki/Cardi/Meg/SexxyRed crowd. Would be dope if he could hop on tracks with them to give them shine.

Drake, Kendrick and Cole say otherwise.

They are the biggest.

Obviously not in that demo but the easy counter is going to be men’s rap music “has been promoting misogyny, drugs and violence for the past 30 years”

Just an observation
As Magic33 Magic33 has stated, there is more of a balance in the men's category of rap. I hear more ***** popping rap coming from the female rappers.

If you want to do the singing thing, how many other singers were going even close to diamond then?

Mariah?

There's a correlation with labels pushing hypersexualized and violent music, when you can see examples otherwise that it's not the only thing that sells or gets attention.
I’m not arguing labels pushing stuff, just not using lauryn hill as an example when she’s on a different level of talent than the female rappers out here. Really none of these women are seeing Missy either.

Again, not defending their content cause I don’t even listen to it. I’m just saying if this is peak women rap in terms of popularity/active rappers , it’s going to look like peak men’s rap at its ugliest as far as content. Not defending both, just find it wild Fab speaking up. And we all heard what Kim and fox were rapping about.

🫤
IMG_5032.jpeg

Otherwise to what? I mentioned them

Meaning the three biggest rappers in male rap shows there's diversity. Currensy can exist in the same world as Durk.

It's like Rhapsody, and two pop chicks(Lizzo and Doja Cat) who's audiences look like a jar of mayo.

Mc Lyte, Shante, Monie Love, Lauryn, Bahamadia, Ladybug, Rage, YoYo....
Remove Lauryn Hill and did any of the others outsell and get more play than Lil Kim, Missy, Foxy, Eve, etc. around the same time?

I’m just saying sex has generally been pushed the most for female rappers so I’m asking what specifically is different today than the last 20+ years subject wise?

We all know what Fab is referring to. I just wish he directed criticsm to the platforms that host and promote only “1 type” of female rap. I’m always against criticizing artists for their art because we don’t have to listen if we don’t want to. Just as Fab said, there are so many more voices to be heard and the platforms can do a better job of diversifying the forefront. (Or straight up blocking content they deem “harmful” but that’s another topic…)

Remove Lauryn Hill and did any of the others outsell and get more play than Lil Kim, Missy, Foxy, Eve, etc. around the same time?

I’m just saying sex has generally been pushed the most for female rappers so I’m asking what specifically is different today than the last 20+ years subject wise?

We all know what Fab is referring to. I just wish he directed criticsm to the platforms that host and promote only “1 type” of female rap. I’m always against criticizing artists for their art because we don’t have to listen if we don’t want to. Just as Fab said, there are so many more voices to be heard and the platforms can do a better job of diversifying the forefront. (Or straight up blocking content they deem “harmful” but that’s another topic…)

because they stopped being pushed and signed at all

Eve you can sort of say she went away from that, and she was selling

Back
Top Bottom