Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

My views on The Love Below are heavily influenced by the utter disappointment I felt at the time listening to it when it dropped. I was not expecting a project with almost zero rapping. Once I got passed that I rocked with Spread, Prototype, She Lives in my Lap, and Vibrate. I wasn't a big fan of Hey Ya and Roses but they are smash singles so add those into the mix. Then maybe there are another 2-3 other 'love it or hate it' type tracks. We talking at best 10 good-great songs out of 21...

I'm not telling anyone to change how they feel about that album or 3K. I'm just saying that was when I learned not to trust dude in the studio by himself :lol:
It definitely wasn't expected.

I'm not huge on reading. But I love a good story. And that's what The Love Below is to me. A good story told through amazing musical ability.

There is literally only 1 song I may skip and it's Love and War. Everything else is a good song at minimum to an amazing musical accomplishment.

I can't stress how much I love the album.

Lets be clear, THEY are the reason that album is the highest selling hiphop album of all time and its not a coincidence it had nothing to do with actual hiphop @ all…
That's not the main reason why, though I wont act like that wasn't a factor.

It was a double album. That sale for that album counted twice toward albums sold. 3 of the top 5 albums are double albums. One is from a white guy. And the other is another GOAT album.

I'm gonna toss TLB in my GOAT album category.

eh
he had that one beat
where everyone sounded better on it
than him
it was a just blaze beat
that "cmon baby"
Just co-signed for you, said you had a classic
Now he got no time for you, wrote you off on taxes

The whites was ON the love below.

Is that a negative? Love Below is a funk/R&B album. Be clear those 2 genres are blacker than hip hop. It's easier for white people to duplicate hip hop (especially the popular sound today) than R&B or funk music. Let's be honest black people tend to throw funk and R&B away. Call it outta style or "old music".

That's a good one, Sai and Papoose

Danger of signing to a bad label, You had Just Blaze production and had appearances on a hot show. Plus the album was actually good.

Papoose got a check and still is relevant almost 20 years later, even though I never really cared for him
Papoose dropped his debut like 8 years after he was supposed to and it sounded just like it.

I had to go back and listen to 56 Nights.

That ain’t even Future beat tape. Wayne just be saying **** :lol:

Man you couldn’t tell 17 yr old me that Plies wasn’t that *****. My boys was wasn’t rockin’ with him though, mostly cause one of my boys was from Baton Rogue and had everybody tapped in with Boosie.

“Put me anywhere I’m the realest ***** in the room” :smokin

Back
Top Bottom