Real Deal College Football Discussion... no homers please

Quote:
Pat Johnson :pimp:
pimp.gif
Matt Patchan
Jordan Futch
Ramon Buchanon

Que?

Patchan isn't a commit. Not yet at least....

Quote:
DLo13
miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=697567miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=698349miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=698344
Team Get What U Want Out Of Life
"Look up... Get Up...And Never Give Up"
Michael Irvin---NFL Hall of Fame Class of 2007​

Trillmatic...

LANCE LEGGETT Q&A

Q: How hard is it to build continuity without knowing a starting quarterback?

Leggett: We feel we can start with Kyle (Wright) or Kirby (Freeman). They're doing real well. They're more mature now.

Q: How are their styles different?

Leggett: There's really no difference right now. Kirby's more of a scrambler, but other than that they're the same right now.

Q: What's your mindset right now - how confident or relaxed are you?

Leggett: Right now I feel good. I worked out real hard this summer to put some weigh on. I feel like a man now. I feel more maturity.

Q: What do you think about no names being on the backs of the jerseys?

Leggett: I don't mind at all. We have to go out and play as a team. You don't worry about the name.

Q: What Randy Shannon rules have you broken?

Leggett: Nothing. I don't wear hats (which aren't allowed to be worn in the coaches' offices). And the cell phone, everyone knows about the cell hones (not to bring them into the coaches' offices).

KENNY PHILLIPS Q&A

Q: As a guy that grew up here, do you worry about UM not playing in the OB in the future?

Phillips: Right now we don't care where we play. We just want to get on the field.

Q: Miami not being ranked in the opening Coaches' poll - is that fair?

Phillips: I guess you could say it's fair because of what we showed last year. But this is a new season, a new beginning. After a few games I believe we'll be right back at the top.

Q: Are players staying in more because of the new rules?

Phillips: A lot has chagend. As athletes we're targets. So we're trying to stay safe.

Q: How did what happened to Bryan Pata change you.

Phillips: We don't go out to clubs as much as we used to. If we do get together it's at someone's home where it's safe.

* Thirty-five minutes into UM's third practice of the fall the lightning sensors went off and the team was forced inside. An hour-and-a-half later the team returned to the field to finish up practice.

"It was okay we started, got a little break, came back out real hard, intense, straight into drills," cornerback Randy Phillips said.

Phillips added that "Practice got real physical today. The offense did some things; the defense got better."

OL Derrick Morse said the line "had a lot of mental errors, penalties that killed us. We have to correct those and do better tomorrow."

H-back Chris Zellner added of today's drills that "We made some mental mistakes, but we practiced hard. We had a pretty good practice."

* DT Teraz McCray ended drills with the injured players after pulling a leg muscle. Before the injury he worked with the first team alongside Josh Holmes.

"Josh is coming along, is going to be pretty good," McCray said.

DL coach Clint Hurtt said of the defensive tackle rotation that McCray and Holmes are working primarily with the ones and "We're mixing in Dwayne Hendricks also a little bit.

"We've still got a competition going on. There's nothing set yet, but those are the guys that are taking the majority of the ones," Hurtt said. "We'll find out who the best two are, that still has to be worked out."

Hurtt pointed to Luqman Abdallah as making the biggest strides of the tackles from a year ago.

"He's improved dramatically," Hurtt said. "That's encouraging."

Antonio Dixon, who had been a first-teamer in the spring, is now working with the third team.

"The thing is we have policies, rules that coach (Randy) Shannon has implemented," Hurtt said. "We are always going to follow those policies and guidelines it'll help us be a better football team. Right now it's not so much of a demotion as `Make sure you do all the little things right.'"

Hurtt added, "Dixon's doing alright he has to keep running and keeping that weight down. He's 320 right now. He has to keep pushing and grinding."

At defensive end, Hurtt said he's pleased with the play of five players.

"I look at it, all five of our defensive ends can play on Saturday and get the job done," Hurtt said. "You have Eric Moncur, Calais Campbell, Courtney Harris, Vegas Franklin and Steven Wesley. I really believe all five of them can go play football. I have a lot of confidence in all those kids."

* WR Darnell Jenkins scored two touchdowns in red zone 11-on-11 work going against the second team, and he came up a yard short of another touchdown against the ones. WR Lance Leggett also had a long reception and scored in today's practice.

Defensive highlights: CB Chavez Grant had an interception at the end of two-minute work on a Hail Mary pass, and Demarcus VanDyke broke up a couple of passes.

* Tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Joe Pannunzio says he plans on rotating all four of his tight ends in and out of games H-backs Chris Zellner and Dedrick Epps and tight ends Dajleon Farr and Richard Gordon.

"With the four guys that we have, each of those guys kind of brings a different deal to the table," Pannunzio said. "I think together, collectively, we can make it work pretty effectively."

In special teams, Pannunzio said Matt Bosher and Daren Daly are both still in open competition at punter and kicker.

Walkon Francesco Zampogna is also competing at kicker and David Strimple at punter.

"Right now there's a shot that Bosher could do all of that," Pannunzio said. "That's a lot for a redshirt freshman to have on him to be the placekicker, punter and kickoff guy."

* Freshmen Demarcus VanDyke, Graig Cooper and Lee Chambers are all getting looks as returners.

VanDyke tested as the team's fastest freshman.

* WR Leonard Hankerson remains out while he awaits word from the NCAA Clearinghouse. As previously reported by CaneSport.com, it's expected he will be cleared before the first day of practice.

* In coming out drills the first team offense had Kirby Freeman at QB with the line, from left to right, Jason Fox, Orlando Franklin, AJ Trump, Derrick Morse and Chris Rutledge. The first team receivers were Lance Leggett and Sam Shields, and tailbacks Graig Cooper and Javarris James split reps.

* The first team defensive line today was ends Calais Campbell and Eric Moncur along with tackles Teraz McCray and Josh Holmes. The first team linebackers were Colin McCarthy, Eric Houston (with Darryl Sharpton banged up and sitting out) and Glenn Cook. Allen Bailey was the second team middle linebacker behind Houston today. The first team safeties were Kenny Phillips and Lovon Ponder, and the cornerbacks were Carlos Armour and Randy Phillips.

* C John Rochford is working with the second team.

Last year he was an afterthought on the depth chart, working in only as a long snapper.

"The coaches we brought in have done a lot for my game," Rochford said. "They gave me an opportunity to step up, and I stepped up and played well. I had a really good summer, worked out hard, put some weight on. It's my fifth year, and I want to do anything I can do to help contribute to the team.

"I feel I have just as good a chance to start as (A.J. Trump) does. We're competing for that job, and the best guy's going to be out there."

For his part, Trump says he's trying to work the rust off.

He missed the spring due to injury.

"I've been out of it for a little while, and I've got a whole lot of work to do to be where I need to be," Trump said. "We're making some plays (as a line), we're doing pretty well."

While the first team offensive line depth chart has stayed the same the first three practices, Trump said, "I don't think anyone on the offensive line feels safe in their positions right now. We're all competing. There are guys showing flashes of greatness every day. That guy who can consistently play his best ball is the guy that's going to play. It's about finding the best five guys."

* WR Kayne Farquharson is getting some work with the second team.

"Right now I'm working with the twos and everything's going well," Farquharson said. "It's a dream come true. I finally got here, and everything's going well.

"I'm learning the offense slowly but surely."

Has it been harder than he thought it would be to transition to UM from junior college?

"No, it's pretty much the same," Farquharson said. "Football is football. It all depends on the approach you take toward it. If you get in a slump and get down on yourself, you're not a confident person. I like me over everybody, so with the help of my teammates everything's going well."

* First team TE Dajleon Farr says he's ready to fill Greg Olsen's shoes.

But Farr hasn't caught many balls in his UM career, and he was used mostly as a blocker in high school.

Asked if he feels ready to step in for Olsen, Farr said, "You've got to be ready. I mean, do I even have a choice? I don't think so. It comes with a part of just playing. It's not about catching a lot of balls, it's just about playing and when your number's called answering."

Asked if he feels Farr is ready to take on a big load of the passing game, Pannunzio said, "Yes. He's a big guy, should be a dominating blocker when he gets it down. He's become a much better route runner. This spring he was probably our most effective pass catcher."

* QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Here's the thing I tell them we're Benjamin Franklin's around here. We aren't George Washington's. When we leave here we aren't making George Washington's. We're making Ben Franklin's."

- Pannunzio, on why TE recruits want to come to Miami

Richard Gordon's prep school coach at Milford (NY) Academy, Bill Chaplick, learned something quickly about the 6-foot-4, 260-pounder: He can run.

One day Chaplick had Gordon lined up to help block on a kickoff return. The ball was squibbed, Gordon ran back, picked it up and sprinted for a touchdown.

He had kickoff returns of 89 and 99 yards two years ago at Milford.

"He looks like a house coming at you," Chaplick said.

Now that house will get a look at returning kicks for Miami.

Gordon is curently listed as one of the return men that will be given a chance to show he can get the job done in games this season.

"We'll give him a chance," special teams coordinator/tight ends coach Joe Pannunzio said. "We'll see what happens."

Gordon will be tough to take down at his weight and with 4.51-second speed in the 40-yard dash.

He is a physical freak with a 34.5-inch vertical.

"I think I'll return (kicks in games this season)," Gordon said.

Gordon won't remind many of Devin Hester with his size.

But he's big enough to run over little guys and fast enough to outrun bigger players.

And he has a special running style.

"I run on my tippy toes," he said.

Asked about Gordon possibly emerging as a threat at returner, coach Randy Shannon said the team has made no determination on starting return men.

"Whoever gives us the best opportunity to win we'll use," Shannon said.

Pannunzio listed several other players he sees as potentially dangerous returners, including Ryan Hill, Darnell Jenkins, Demarcus VanDyke, Kayne Farquharson, Lee Chambers, Bruce Johnson, Chavez Grant and Graig Cooper.

* Gordon is currently working as the second team tight end behind Dajleon Farr. He's still working to get comfortable with all the offensive plays after moving from defensive line this summer.

Farr says of Gordon's progress that "He's doing real well. He had a big catch today at the end of practice, got a lot of yards. He's coming along well."

Pannunzio adds of Gordon that, "He's got freakish ability. He has great hands, is a guy that is inexperienced and needs some experience. I'm glad he's back at (tight end from defensive line)."

The Return of Swol​
Moderate Deez​

Hey I might be able to help you, I'm a subscriber, just wait till I get off of work.
TEAM WOLVERINE
Those Who Stay Will Be Champions
GO BLUE​

Quote:
Monroeville (Pa.) Gateway standout Shayne Hale (6-foot-3, 235 pounds, 4.5 seconds) is the top inside linebacker in the nation. Virginia head coach Al Groh is known for his work with linebackers so it was only mild surprise when the five-star prospect listed UVa as a finalist. Hale has set three of his official visits with a fourth visit being planned currently. Is UVa one of the visits that has been set?

"I have set three of my official visits. Virginia, West Virginia and Michigan are the three that are set to this point," said Hale.

Hale will make his way to Michigan on Sept. 15 for the Wolverines' clash with Notre Dame. He will follow that visit with one to Charlottesville to see the Cavaliers face Georgia Tech on Sept. 22. The third visit on the schedule is set for Oct. 20, when the five-star linebacker will head to West Virginia to see the Mountaineers square off against Mississippi State.

Missing from the list of official visits is Ohio State. Will the Buckeye's receive an official visit from the Gateway standout?

"I am working with Ohio State to set up a visit right now. I am definitely going there for one."

Hale once again cautioned that his four-team list of finalists may grow to five or six.

"There are a few more schools that I am considering. I am not ready to name them yet but I am considering them."

Adding to the growing notion that Hale and teammate Cameron Saddler are a package deal, both have the same three official visits set at this point.

"I don't think it is a given that we will go to the same school, but at the same time, I think there is a great chance of it happening. The visits will be the deciding factor. If each of us find a school that we both like, then great."

Hale, who is being recruited by UVa assistant Dave Borbely, talked about what he is looking for in on his official visits.

"I have been to UVa and I like it there. I like the staff and felt that I fit in really well with the players," said Hale. "When I go on official visits, I am going to be looking at the academics, campuses, the coaches, the players and my general fit. I just want to feel comfortable."

As a junior, Hale racked up 105 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss, five sacks and two forced fumbles.

He currently maintains a 3.0 GPA and will take the SAT this fall.

Quote:
Michigan has gone after and recruited several oversized safety prospects in the past. At 6-4 and 225 pounds, Ernest Shazor stayed at that safety position and took home All-American honors for the Wolverines in 2004. Another jumbo safety prospect out of high school, Prescott Burgess, meanwhile, outgrew the safety position in college and became an all-Big Ten linebacker for the Wolverines.

Smith is ranked as the No. 65 player in the country
At 6-3 and 210 pounds, New Brunswick (N.J.) athlete Brandon Smith certainly has the size to translate into several different positions at the college level. Teams are looking at him for quarterback, wide receiver, linebacker and safety. Michigan, though, has pegged him as a safety prospect.

"I don't feel I will be too big and big safeties are in right now," said Smith. "I'll probably get bigger when I get to college, but I feel I will stay at defensive back when I get to college. My natural position on defense is a safety."

Michigan has always been a team mentioned prominently among the teams Smith is considering and when he has looked at the opportunity in the Wolverines' defensive backfield, he likes what he sees.

"The opportunity is great," Smith said. "I just read about them and their safety is a senior this year, so coming in I'll be a freshman and somebody will have to fight me for the spot. Somebody's going to have to fight me for the spot no matter where I go, but it's a better opportunity at Michigan because their safety is a senior.

"I don't really have a top team, but Michigan is definitely in my top five. Not only are they great on the football field, they are great in the classroom. Their graduation rates are impressive to me and that's something I am looking forward to - not only playing ball, but getting a great education because you can't play ball for the rest of your life."

In his talks with Michigan assistant coach Steve Szabo, Smith has heard all about what the University offers not only on the football field, but also in the way of academics.

"He texts me all the time and I get back to him," said Smith. "He was at my school awhile back. I didn't get to sit down with him like I wanted to, but we have had great conversations and he's let me know how great of a school Michigan is. A lot of schools come in and just talk to boost their school up, but I really feel that Michigan is what he was talking about."

Not only has Szabo gotten the seal of approval from Smith, he also has gotten it from Smith's mother.

"He met my mom and my mom liked him," Smith said. "That was important to me that my mom was impressed by him also. I have a lot of opportunities all across the country, but that's one of her favorites. That's pretty important because she will play a big role in where I go."

Besides Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Rutgers and NC State have also found a place in Smith's top five. He has stated in the past he would prefer to make a Signing Day decision and he is gamplanning the remainder of his recruitment with that timetable in mind.

"I will take all five of my visits," he said. "I have to talk to my coaches because I'm not going to miss any practices. Whenever I sit down with my mom and my coaching staff and figure out when is a good time for me to visit, then I will take my officials. I might only have time to take only one during the season and the other four after the season. I'm not sure yet.

"I will definitely take a visit to Michigan and I'll definitely take a visit to Wisconsin. As far as the other three, I'm not sure yet."

Quote:
Five schools remain for J.B. Fitzgerald and although he is in an almost no-lose situation it will still be a difficult decision to pick the one that best suits him.

Florida, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Michigan and Rutgers are the final five and now Fitzgerald has to consider which one is the best fit and say no to four quality programs and yes to one lucky school.

"They're all very strong athletically and very strong academically," Fitzgerald said. "Now it's about breaking down the schools and seeing where I feel most comfortable. You have to take football out of the equation and see if you're really going to enjoy being on that campus."

It has been a deliberative process for Fitzgerald, a 6-foot-4, 225-pound linebacker from Princeton Junction (N.J.) West Windsor Plainsboro South. He has already taken unofficial visits to all five schools and has liked certain characteristics of each trip.

Last season, Fitzgerald finished with 112 tackles, five sacks and two interceptions. He also caught 23 passes for 383 yards and two touchdowns. Rivals.com rates him as the eighth-best outside linebacker nationally and the No. 5 player in the New Jersey Top 30 of 2008. As a sophomore, he had 71 tackles and four sacks.

On his birthday, Nov. 13, is the date he plans to announce his college choice. Fitzgerald said he enjoyed his trip to Gainesville.

"Just the way they run things down there is what really impressed me about Florida," Fitzgerald said. "Coming from coach (Urban) Meyer, he has everything set out the way it needs to be. They have a very systematic way of running things and they're very successful obviously."

A recent trip to Rutgers with his mother helped both of them understand more about the Scarlet Knights and coach Greg Schiano.

"My mom hadn't gotten to see Rutgers yet or a chance to meet with the coaches," he said. "This gave her the opportunity to do that, to see everything about Rutgers. She definitely came away impressed. She got a good feel for coach Schiano. I got to talk with coach Schiano and (linebackers) coach (Bob) Fraser and get down to some specifics and how they see me fitting in."

Michigan is in the running for Fitzgerald's services. He hit it off with the Wolverines coaching staff and enjoyed his trip to Ann Arbor. Fellow New Jersey linebacker Marcus Witherspoon committed to Michigan and the two are acquaintances but Fitzgerald said they are not close enough for Witherspoon to sway his decision.

"From the first time I went there I got a good feel from the coaching staff," Fitzgerald said. "The way they run their defense is really a team effort and it's how I'm being coached now. Everybody is on the same page. The linebacker coach there (Steve Szabo) is a great guy. He's been recruiting me since January and he and my parents and I have grown quite close. I got a chance to get around some of their players and I like the kind of guys they recruit."

Finally, Georgia Tech and Iowa are in the running. Fitzgerald said he visited the Yellow Jackets over spring break and enjoyed the setting. Although his trip to Iowa City was not something he's accustomed to a rural campus, a predominance of farms in the area he didn't mind it either and found it rather unique.

"I had never been down to Georgia Tech and I didn't know much about the program, but when I got a chance to go down there, I came away very impressed," Fitzgerald said. "I love their campus. I like the way they play defense. I got a chance to talk a lot with their linebacker coach (Brian Jean-Mary) and I got a good feel for the program.

"At Iowa, coach (Darrell) Wilson, he's a Jersey guy and we have a pretty close relationship. The Iowa experience was a new thing to me. There are not too many places like Iowa, but it didn't necessarily turn me off. I got a good vibe from them."

Beat me to it.
TEAM WOLVERINE
Those Who Stay Will Be Champions
GO BLUE​

Quote:
Who's taking the Heisman this year?

Either Booty from USC or Brohm from Louisville. Watch out for Henne from Michigan as a dark horse. Also, keep an eye on Colt Brennen from Hawaii.

Quote:
Who are you dudes surprise teams this year... not just most improved, but teams with a legit shot at taking the title from out of nowhere?

I think Michigan is a little underrated this season as is LSU. And TCU WILL surprise people. I also don't think you can ever count out Notre Dame, with one of the best recruiting classes coming in that they have ever had, and Charlie Weis, if they click watch out.

Quote:
What are the major things to watch for in each conference this year?

I think watching Florida State this year will be very interesting. Will the SEC be as tough as it was last year. Also, I'm looking forward to the PAC 10, UCLA always plays tough, and you have to be curious how CAL will do after a surprising 10-3 season.
I remember the days when you could walk into J.C. Penny's and pick up Jay's. Man I wish those days were still around.

Quote:
I think Michigan is a little underrated this season as is LSU. And TCU WILL surprise people. I also don't think you can ever count out Notre Dame, with one of the best recruiting classes coming in that they have ever had, and Charlie Weis, if they click watch out.
Team Wolverine
Will Johnson-Chris McLaurin-Jason Olesnavage-Ohene Opong-Owusu-Charles Stewart-Terrance Taylor-Morgan Trent

Quote:
Notre Dame is going to be pretty bad. You don't win in college football with a bunch of underclassmen. It's just not going to happen.

Do I think they will get to the BCS Champioship game, no. But do I think they can compete for an at large bid to a BCS bowl if everything clicks for them, absolutely.
I remember the days when you could walk into J.C. Penny's and pick up Jay's. Man I wish those days were still around.

Quote:
Do I think they will get to the BCS Champioship game, no. But do I think they can compete for an at large bid to a BCS bowl if everything clicks for them, absolutely.
The Return of Swol​
Moderate Deez​

Quote:
There is no way in hell they get near the BCS. they win 6 games, maybe 7.

We'll see by the end of the season. I'm telling you, this team is going to creep up on people this year.

Quote:

Not happening.

Quote:
:wow:
eek.gif
beanos_picks.jpg
definite Wins I have them down for are the service academies and thats it

[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

The Andre Berto Movement:Get Down or Lay Down

4qr0sh5.jpg
:lol:
laugh.gif
you're safe, man
Let'sGoBlue

make the world a better place, punch bi\\\ martin in the face​
anti-jim harbaugh​

Quote:

laugh.gif
they competing for emerald bowls this year.
USC TROJANS
Louisiana Superdome January 7, 2008​
Joe McKnight - Future Heisman Winner​

Mayne, if Duke beats ND. It's gonna be a problem in South Bend. Well Thad Lewis looks like he could be a problem for teams that sleep on Dook.

Quote:
Mayne, if Duke beats ND. It's gonna be a problem in South Bend. Well Thad Lewis looks like he could be a problem for teams that sleep on Dook.
:x
sick.gif
The Return of Swol​
Moderate Deez​

Quote:
And the domers prolly will be in a bcs game, given that all they gotta do is not lose more than 2 games w/ that weak contract they have.

and that is the reason right there. Michigan and USC are the two games that they will probably, all the other game are definitely winnable. Georgia Tech will be tough, but it will be at home. James Aldridge, if healthy this year will give the Irish that big back with burst that they lacked with Darius Walker. Clausen is a big time player, and might not be his freshmen year, but you never know. Weis is a great offensive mind as well. Yeah that's a lot of optimism and sure, they could turn around and only win 6 games, which is why I say if they click, they will be in the mix. We'll see where it stands at the end of the year, but I said it here first.

also note, that I hate USC, but I do think they are the favorite to win the BCS title, and Joe MacDaddy, I think we'll do a little bit better than the Emerald Bowl, we'll see you in South Bend buddy.

RBeezy 32,

Real Talk, GTech is probably the WORST type of squad for an untested ND team to face in the opening game. They are satisfied playing a close game, which will work in their advantage, they have more experience. They are gonna keep ND's offense off the field, and when they are on the field, GT is experienced and they gonna blitz the crap outta whoever is the QB. Bennett has decent enough of an arm that he's test that porous ND secondary.
I AIN'T EVEN WIT IT

Seriously tho...

Sep. 1 Georgia Tech 2:30pm L
Sep. 8 at Penn State 5:00pm L
Sep. 15 at Michigan 2:30pm L
Sep. 22 Michigan State 2:30pm Toss up
Sep. 29 at Purdue TBA W
Oct. 6 at UCLA 7:00pm L
Oct. 13 Boston College 2:30pm L
Oct. 20 Southern Cal 2:30pm L
Nov. 3 Navy 1:30pm W
Nov. 10 Air Force 1:30pm W
Nov. 17 Duke 1:30pm W
Nov. 24 at Stanford TBA W

Thats maybe 5 wins if you are lucky.

The Return of Swol​
Moderate Deez​

Nah, ain't no way Notre Dame starting off 0-3. I'm sorry, I hate them and all, but that ain't happening, partner.
I AIN'T EVEN WIT IT

thanks wizard, i don't see them losing to penn state. if we get lucky and start off at 2-1, we're in good shape, we don't lose to BC @ home, UCLA will be close, but we can beat them, they usually just play tough in the pac 10, and for some reason i think we squeak by GT. Obviously everything has to go perfectly but 10-2 or 9-3 is realistic. It all depends on what this young defense does, our offense will be solid and we'll be able to put points on the board. But a couple of plays really could make or break the season.

Back
Top Bottom