Real Deal College Football Discussion... no homers please

RANDY SHANNON Q&A FOLLOWING WED. PRACTICE

Q: It was the first day in pads today. How did the team look?

Shannon: It wasn't bad today. We did a lot of good things offensively as far as moving the ball, and the defense responded later on in practice. It was an up-and-down practice on both sides of the football. We had too many penalties on both sides of the ball, too many things we can control. We have to bear down and get it done and we'll be fine.

Q: With pads on it's more intense?

Shannon: You know me. I'm a simple guy. When you put on pads you have to make each drill live. The drills you want not live you have to say, `Hey, we're tagging off.' It was good today. We got a lot of good things done. The guys competed today, they flew around. So we're going to be fine. We have to keep working. It's a process we're trying to get the whole team doing and understanding the mentality of what we're going to be. And they're doing a good job. But we have to be more consistent.

Q: How ready are they for the scrimmage tomorrow?

Shannon: I don't know. The scrimmage is tomorrow.

Q: How much of your offense do you have in right now?

Shannon: Not all of it. We're working on the progress of what we're going to do each day. Every couple of days we change. It's just going in stages of learning. That's the biggest thing. The more you can go in stages and concepts, then we'll be fine. The kids get to learn it.

Q: The players are picking up the offense?

Shannon: They're fine. They're picking up the offense very well.

Q: Players got a break with a lot of clouds today, no hot sun beating down.

Shannon: As long as it's still humid you have a chance to keep working.

Q: Talk about Richard Gordon.

Shannon: Richard is a big-time athlete that we have to use his abilities. That is what the offense is doing. Right now he can be a tremendous help for us on offense. He is a weapon so we have to use him.

The biggest play of the day for the offense in today's drills, the first in full pads, came from fullback Kylan Robinson.

Robinson took a short swing pass in 11-on-11 full contact work, broke two tackles and sprinted into the end zone for a 70-yard touchdown.

"It got everyone excited, pumped up," offensive lineman Derrick Morse said. "We were on the sidelines, weren't in, and we were jumping up and down. All those guys on the field, they were running down congratulating him. Everyone on the sideline, it pumped them up. Young guys on the field that want to get in, that's the way to do it. You break two tackles and take it to the house, that's how you get on the field. He showed that to the coaches. If he keeps coming out and doing that he'll be competing for a starting job for sure."

Darnell Jenkins also had a long reception today.

Doug Wiggins and Glenn Sharpe had interceptions during practice.

"The offense came hard today, came to play," linebacker Tavares Gooden said.

* Chris Rutledge remains as the first team right tackle.

"The coaches, they told us what we needed to do, and it's up to us to stick to it," Rutledge said. "It's what we do outside of football that makes us a better athlete. They tell us what we need to do outside of football, then we go ahead and perform it and it's showing on the field."

Last year's starting tackle, Reggie Youngblood, has been moved from right to left tackle for the last three practices.

He's been working with the second team there behind Jason Fox.

Youngblood said today he's "a 10 times better player" than he was last year.

Coming into the fall he thought he'd be the first team right tackle. But that hasn't happened so far.

"Everybody has to compete, step it up every day," Youngblood said. "I've been playing left tackle the last three days, and coach (Jeff) Stoutland says he likes the way I'm looking over there."

Youngblood says he doesn't know if he'll move back to right tackle in the future.

"We'll see Sept. 1," he said.

Youngblood currently weighs in at 307 pounds.

Rutledge says he's weighing 309 pounds.

"All the offensive linemen have dropped a lot of weight," Rutledge said. "We averaged about 30 pounds of lost weight."

Of the line depth, Morse said, "Oh, we have depth. That's the biggest thing. We can just put another guy in and not have a drop-off. That's good because in the season you can get injuries. It's exciting, is good to have depth. Everybody's going to be fresh in the games because of that. If you get tired and get substituted, you have someone who can come in and knock them off the ball and not miss a beat."

* Players said there wasn't much of a difference in the first day in full pads today.

"It's just tight pants (compared to shells)," Youngblood said.

* DB coach Tommie Robinson says there's no clear-cut depth chart at cornerback.

"We'll see who rises to the top," he said. "You'll see some shuffling around of personnel.'

For the most part, so far, Carlos Armour and Randy Phillips are the first-teamers.

Demarcus VanDyke has worked his way up to a lot of second team reps ahead of Bruce Johnson.

Of Van ****, Robinson said, "If he continues to improve, demonstrates he's ready to play, then we'll play him. He has tremendous ability. All he has to do is continue to mature. If he does the things he's doing and learns the scheme, then he'll force us to play him as a freshman."

Robinson also spoke about the freshmen safeties.

"Jared Campbell is doing a tremendous job," Robinson said. "What you see in him is a kid with tremendous effort. I mean, he goes all-out 110 percent every play. He just has to continue to work on his fundamentals and technique every day to get him up to speed with the older guys. He's listening and doing a tremendous job. If he can keep that 110 percent effort then we can fix those other things.

"Joseph Nicolas (who is working mostly with the second team currently along with Willie Cooper) is doing well. He's a real smart kid and has got the height and speed. He just has to get in that comfort zone and get mature.

"Damien Berry (who is rehabbing coming off a torn ACL last year) we'll have to see what doctors say about when he can turn loose. It's when doctors tell me we can have him, then we'll see what he can do."

Robinson said Tervaris Johnson is playing cornerback. He's coming off a shoulder injury and was a safety last year.

"He's doing well," Robinson said. "We just need him to pick it up a little bit more. I'm really expecting him to do some good things for us this year and help us out a little bit."

Of the overall DB group, Robinson said, "I think it's a pretty good unit. We have height, speed, size and smart kids back there. We just have to make sure they make the right calls and lined up. If we do that then we should be a pretty good unit. I expect us to be pretty good back there this year."

* LB Darryl Sharpton was limited in drills today as he comes off injury.

* TE Dajleon Farr said there's no set first, second or third team at his position. Richard Gordon is getting some first team reps.

Of today's offensive play Gordon said, "We're doing pretty well. We had some big, big blocks today and everybody did pretty well up front."

* Freshmen Chris Perry and Shawnbrey McNeal were again working on the side today as they await medical clearance. Teraz McCray (leg strain) also worked with the injured players. Coach Randy Shannon said he's not sure if McCray will be able to participate in tomorrow's scrimmage.

* OL Chris Barney left practice early.

"He's got a little nick right now, is limping around, but it's nothing serious," Shannon said.

THE U

Quote:
Noel rushin for atleast 750 yards this year....bank on it
Darius Reynaud
uc14110905.jpg

Dudes be sleepin on him, but he's a definite weapon on special teams and in stretching the field for WVA.
[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

The Andre Berto Movement:Get Down or Lay Down

It hurts me to see another team wearing Michigan-esque colors but the white WV uni's are right.

Gunna- Thanks for the advice/direction I didn't get a chance to thank you. I've been real bussy latley and plan on making some progress on what I tallked to you about this weekend. If you don't mind I may come back for some more input from you.

MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

Aair, No doubt, hit me up anytime.

I have had some interesting dealings with a few. Nothing for public consumption tho. :lol:
laugh.gif

[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

Since I missed out on the whole ND bashing session I just have to get one thing in....

Tommy Z is undoubtly the most over rated football player I've ever seen. I do not question his athletic ability but his coverege skills :x
sick.gif
a petition to get Mark May fired because it's only going to get worse before it gets better. You can tell that he's starting to really take on being the "bad guy"

I wont be able to stand Game Day this year if I have to listen to him...I wish Trev Alberts didn't get fired. He along with Kirk seem to be the only two that actually do their HW and state their analysis as analysis and not FACTS
MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

dez bryant
smokin.gif
pimp.gif
smokin.gif
check out dudes hands. boy has some paws
eek.gif

F296707.JPG

F296708.JPG

USC TROJANS
Louisiana Superdome January 7, 2008​
Joe McKnight - Future Heisman Winner​

^ Yeah I saw those pics a week ago about Dez and totally forgot. This kid is gonna be big time. He has dumb athletic ability and yeah his mits are MASSIVE.
MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

I guess Im the only one who cant seem to understand why good WRs would choose Oklahoma State :smh:
smh.gif

I just dont get it. :smh:
smh.gif

:lol:
laugh.gif
My boy readin over my shoulder clownin me cuz he said why would a RB choose to go to UCF
(subliminal shot at me)
laugh.gif

Quote:
My boy readin over my shoulder clownin me cuz he said why would a RB choose to go to UCF
:wow:
eek.gif
:wow:
eek.gif
:rofl:
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

TEAMlateNIGHT
>WE NEVER SLEEP<
Lets go Bulls, UCLA,Dodgers and Cowboys!

Quote:
roll.gif
:smh:
smh.gif

Had to edit for this:

Quote:
Ole Miss quarterback Brent Schaeffer was moved to wide receiver at his request, OleMissSports.net reported.
roll.gif

Quote:
Adarius Bowman got me kind of worried about OSU coming into Athens for the opener. Of course, dude did half his damage last year against Kansas and Houston.

with your secondary id be worried too.
smh.gif

USC TROJANS

Quote:
wat were your other offers?
:pimp:
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Lets jsut say, If it wasnt for where K State was located, I woulda went there just off those visits

edit....
wait wait!!
Quote:
Ole Miss quarterback Brent Schaeffer was moved to wide receiver at his request, OleMissSports.net reported :wow:
eek.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif
:x
sick.gif

HAHA Someone needs to reup the SEC post.

My man Brent think he gonna be Devin Hester/Ted Ginn 2.0 and straight burn people with that 1,2 Step. This IS GONNA be FUN to watch.

Or maybe he saw what happened to running left-handed QB's who wear the number 7 and knew it was time to get out.

Gunna, shouldve gonna out there to KState and ran that option with MBishop and Ell Roberson.
I AIN'T EVEN WIT IT

Beasley was QBin when I first visited. Cant remember if he lost the job to Roberson after that tho.

Rep your team yall...im bored as helll...football practice canceled...its 106 ova here

NFL U
arolle8x10.gif

RayLewis.jpg

GX19906.jpg

t1_portis_si.jpg
]
mcgahee_willis1.jpg

1792749.jpg

a_moss_i.jpg

url

photo02.jpg
:pimp:
pimp.gif

Quote:
Ole Miss quarterback Brent Schaeffer was moved to wide receiver at his request, OleMissSports.net reported
ing job
"How you gonna say I eat 9 burritos, I ain't never ate no 9 burritos man"

XBOX360 GT:DZ661

laugh.gif
@ randy shannon. dude just came out of the closet for his 2 rbs:

Quote:
When asked about Cooper in the spring, Shannon said: "I think Coop did a great job. He brought some some excitement to the team. And he's a calm guy. He's not an arrogant or flamboyant guy." It was going well, then coach goofed. "Belive it or not, he and Javarris James are kind of like butt buddies."

brokeback rbs?
USC TROJANS

laugh.gif
r-white.jpg
VolsD1196.jpg
wilson-fla98.jpg
utuf92garner.jpg
utuf98deon.jpg
peerless.jpg
PICTURE_kwashington.gif
SCDante.jpg
a_thenry_hi.jpg
lewis.jpg

lowslows you aint even gotta post the assortment of pics...I got you with the slideshow fool...

smh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom