Real Deal College Football Discussion... no homers please

I feel that he is overrated as and is always pegged as a QB guru. Then you look at what his QBs do at the next level and there isn't much to show for it. Sorry but I feel that people hang their hat way too much on what he does with QBs and the product is not very good. Don't want that as my next HC.

You should look at as him getting the best out of there talent why should you care at all what they do as pros i mean yeah its nice to see the players do good in the NFL but all that really matters is how they perform while they are in college. Are you saying you wouldnt want a coach who has coached David carr, Akili smith,Trent dilfer, Joey harrington kyle boller and Aaron rodgers? all first round picks ? I know i would love to have him back at Oregon

Quote:
Savoy prolly got pissin outside or somethin stupid like that
:smh:
smh.gif
Team Wolverine
Brown-Warren-Stewart-Trent-Adams-Sears-Harrison-Englemon-Dutch-Chambers-Williams

There goes my hopes for Obi, seemed like a good kid too when I met him at a party.
TEAM WOLVERINE
Those Who Stay Will Be Champions
GO BLUE​

Can someone hook me up with Georgia's blue ribbon preview.
Team Wipe Me Down
I pull up at the club VIP gas tank on E but all dranks on me.​

Well good news on the Michigan players. These incidents occurred awhile ago and Lloyd has known about them. Innocent until proven guilty but these kids are stupid for even getting in trouble like that.
Team Wolverine
Brown-Warren-Stewart-Trent-Adams-Sears-Harrison-Englemon-Dutch-Chambers-Williams

BaBam, I put that in the SEC thread a while back. It might be on like page 2 or 3
[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

The Andre Berto Movement:Get Down or Lay Down

Cuz he's on his way out in Tampa. thats why his name is poppin up for potential hirings.

and to let u know, he is just as bad, maybe worse, than Carr.
[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

Quote:
from right in the middle of gator country @ gainesville HS !!!!
:pimp:
pimp.gif
recruiting me. They offered me a scholarship and then after that they weren't really recruiting me to hard. I understand why they weren't on me so hard because they were putting their efforts towards a different direction at the time. So once they got on, they stayed on. They were calling my coach every single day, they were texting me every single day, and they were making sure everything was alright. They constantly talked to my coach about what I was thinking and what they needed to do, that really just showed me that they really had a genuine interest in me and that they wanted me, they wanted me really, really bad.

Q: I know that you mentioned you mother as enjoying the visit to Florida State, what are her thoughts on your decision?

Keith Wells: She knew that was where I wanted to be from the time we left campus because I usually don't let a school 'wow' me or try to amaze me when they show me different stuff but just the feel I got on Florida State's campus was amazing. She got that same feeling. She was just as impressed as I was. I know she approves of the decision because she has done the research and she knows that I will be in really good hands when I attend Florida State. She was happy and I know that is what she wants it to be.

Q: What are some of your thoughts on the history at the defensive end position at Florida State with some of the former players that have lined up at the spot in the garnet and gold?

Keith Wells: I actually worked with a few of those guys down at the Showtime Camp and I thought that was really cool. When you have All-Americans and people who actually played their and were All-Americans at their position, who went on to play in the NFL, when you have them coaching you and teaching you technique and all of these different drills when you learn from those kind of guys, it makes it that more special. These guys have been there and I am trying to get to where they have already been. Learning from them was really special to me. I want to be like they were, great players at Florida State.

Florida State has a history of great defenses and great defensive players so I know I couldn't go wrong playing defense at Florida State especially if I apply myself and give it everything I got.

Q: Do you have any thoughts on joining the recruiting class that has already been assembled by Florida State this year?

Keith Wells: As far as the recruiting class, it is already a pretty good recruiting class actually, I am not even going to say pretty good, it is a really good recruiting class. We have a lot of stars, not that it matters, because we are trying to get players. I am going to do as much recruiting as I can. I want it to definitely be a top five recruiting class and I definitely will be focusing on getting whatever defensive targets they want to get. I am going to try to recruit just as hard as I was recruited.

Q: Do you have a few names already in mind that you plan to give a call?

Keith Wells: Oh yeah, definitely, I am going to be calling T.J. Bryant, Arthur Brown, and possibly Robert Quinn. I am definitely going to be trying to go for defensive targets. I won't stop there. I will try to recruit offensive players like Deion Walker and other offensive targets they are going for. I am definitely going to try and help us get some big dogs to make this recruiting class special.

Q: What are your final thoughts on committing to Florida State and joining the Seminoles in the future?

Keith Wells: My commitment is basically set in stone. I am going to Florida State. There is no if, and, or buts about it. Right now it is still pretty early so I know this class can only get better and I want to be a part of that. Florida State is the place that in my heart I need to be at. That is the path I am going with. My commitment is set in stone. I am going to Florida State.

THE U

Quote:
Heres to Patchan, Fox, Youngblood, or franklin shuttin him down in the next couple of years

I don't know if we can consider Patchan through the door yet...Not quite.

But one would assume that he wants follow in his pops footsteps...

I would patchan is definitely not a lock for you guys yet... but wouldn't be surprised if he ends up there...
[color=003300]E[/color][color=255025]q[/color][color=6e8b6e]u[/color][color=92a892]i[/color][color=b7c5b7]p[/color][color=dbe3db]o[/color]TR[color=ffb7b7]I[/color][color=ff9292]c[/color][color=ff6e6e]o[/color][color=ff4949]l[/color][color=ff2525]o[/color][color=ff0000]r[/color]​
T E A M M I D W E S T
Reppin the 260
FLO holdin down Indiana​

Renegade...

Related Links:

Photo Gallery: Day three of practice
Fall Practice Headquarters
Talk about it in The Tribal Council
Sponsored by: Advertising Specialties, Inc.

Back still has his 'shake' (By: Ira Schoffel, The Osceola)

Russell Ball is almost always smiling.

Whether it's between plays or after practice or on his way to work out, Ball's ever-present smile tells the story of a young man who knows no other way than to see the bright side of life.

But even Ball admits that he thought his career was likely finished when he tore the ACL in his right knee two springs ago. Just over a year earlier, Ball had torn the ACL in his left knee before his senior season at La Marque (Texas) High School.

Warchant.com

Other than the spring of 2006, this week is the first time Russell Ball has taken part in a full contact practice since he arrived at FSU in the fall of 2005.
"I felt it was the end of the road," Ball said.

Now, 18 months later, Ball is not only back in action, but he's impressing his Florida State teammates and coaches with the shifty moves and bursts of speed that originally made him a four-star prospect.

With Antone Smith nursing a slight pull on Friday, Ball took more reps than usual with the first- and second-string offense, and he delivered with several of the day's biggest plays - he busted one long touchdown run and also eluded several defenders on other nice carries.

"He's like some of the old backs they've had here, those scatter, water-bug guys," offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher said. "He's special in space, and that guy made some runs today. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there will be a place for him in there. Playmakers get the ball. I was very pleased with him. We've got to clean some things up but he did some things that are hard to coach."

Though he says his knees are strong and secure, Ball acknowledged that there have been times that he has been nervous before planting his foot to make a cut in traffic.

"I wonder a little bit, but not too much," Ball said. "I still got my shake - can't lose my shake. It was a mind thing. I knew if I feel bad, it's going to be bad. I just tried to stay up and make the best situation out of everything."

Ball thinks he is a good complement to Florida State's stable of other tailback candidates. Fellow backups Jamaal Edwards and Marcus Sims are more bruising-style runners, and even starter Antone Smith can be a physical back.

Ball has no interest in trying to emulate the others.

"I'm going to try to shake I'm not with the running over [people]," Ball said. "We all got our jobs, and that's their job. I try to avoid the huge contact."

After Friday's performance, Ball again had reason to smile. He doesn't yet know how he'll figure into Fisher's plans for this fall, but every day that goes by without an injury is a good one.

"It was hard, but everything happens for a reason," Ball said. "Hopefully, it's a good thing, but it was a long, hard struggle."

Close call (By: Ira Schoffel, The Osceola)

Sophomore linebacker Marcus Ball, who was sidelined last season with a torn ACL, gave a scare to teammates - and himself - when he appeared to re-injure his surgically repaired left knee midway through Friday's practice.

Ball, who is competing for the starting strongside linebacker position, initially had to leave the field but later returned and even went through some extra conditioning drills after practice.

"I just kind of hyperextended it a little bit," Ball said. "It just scared me a little bit. That was my first scare. But I'm glad I got back up. It wasn't too much."

Ball let out a laugh when a reporter asked if he would miss a couple days of practice. "What?" he said. "Coach [Chuck] Amato is my coach. That's not happening. I'll be back tomorrow. I can't miss a day."

Move to the middle for freshman LB (By Chris Nee, Warchant.com)

Freshmen linebacker Kendall Smith is ready to be thrown into the fire. Since stepping on campus he has buried his head in his playbook or been in the weight room or practice field working on his game. With four days of the preseason under his belt, the former Rivals100 linebacker feels like things are starting to come together.

"It has been something you have to get used to," Smith said. "It is just more intense and you have to work harder. As a freshman I am trying to learn all of the plays. It has been complicated a little bit at first but I feel like I am getting better each day."

One reason it has been even more complicated for Smith is that he is learning a new position. Last year, as senior at South Sumter High School, Smith played the weakside ('Will') linebacker position but that was in a 5-2 defensive system and that has helped him to make the transition to his new position.

"I am playing at middle linebacker," Smith said. "I want to really learn it so I might be able to get some playing time this year. If not, I will just sit back and learn to be a better player next year and the year after."

As for the move itself, Smith is in full support of Chuck Amato's decision to put him in the middle of things.

"That is the man position right there," Smith said. "If you can play that position you are the man and I want to be the man. I am glad they trust me at that position and feel like I can do the job helping the team out and the defense."

During the recruiting process, the Bushnell, Florida (South Sumter HS) native crafted a very strong relationship with former linebackers coach Kevin Steele. When Steele departed to take the defensive coordinator position at Alabama, Bobby Bowden brought in Chuck Amato to coach the linebackers. After working with Amato over the past four days, Smith is a fan of his position coach.

"He knows what he is doing," Smith said. "Chuck Amato is just as good. He knows what he is doing. He was a head coach of a college football team. If he didn't know what he was doing, he wouldn't be here."

Prior to the preseason, the physically ready Smith was informed by the coaching staff that he would not be redshirting. That's a decision Smith fully supports.

"A lot of critics will tell you that you are wasting a year," he said. "I disagree with them. I am going to use it as a learning experience to become a great player. I am not worried about playing right now. We are going to go up from here, we can go nowhere but up. If I learn right now, and I get a little experience, then they can put me in and trust me to go out there and make big plays. That is what they recruited me for I am ready to hit somebody."

Hayes taking on new role (By Derek Redd, The Osceola)

Linebacker Geno Hayes is approaching this season with somewhat of a different perspective. Last season, he'd look over from his weakside linebacker spot and see senior Buster Davis in the middle and junior Lawrence Timmons on the strong side. He'd look to them for support and guidance.

Gene Williams - Warchant.com

Hayes is the undisputed leader of the linebackers.
Now, with Davis and Timmons both in the NFL, it's the other linebackers looking to Hayes at the weakside for support and guidance. Hayes has taken the role of on-field teacher to a young group of linebackers, but said it was nothing he was worried about.

"It's not a shock, because (players leaving) happens," Hayes said. "I was prepared for it. I knew when they left, everyone was going to follow me to be the leader.

"I put myself in a coach's position in helping people out who need help," Hayes added. "Right now, everyone's in their training mind. They're learning and getting used to the system."

Even though there only have been a few days of practice with new linebackers coach Chuck Amato, Hayes said the linebacker corps has started to handle the burden of replacing to high-caliber upperclassmen.

"Right now, everyone's doing good if you ask me," he said. "Most of the young players don't really understand, but they've got a basis of what's going on right now. I see everyone doing good."

The two linebackers charged with replacing Timmons and Davis in the starting lineup right now are Dekoda Watson and Derek Nicholson. Hayes said the two have performed well in that task.

"They go after it," he said. "It's more of a brotherhood out there. I'll tell them something and he tells me something. We're out there communicating and the defense as a whole is on the same page. I feel like we've got a bond."

Hayes also welcomed the return of Nicholson and Marcus Ball, both of whom have recovered from ACL tears that spelled an early end to their 2006 seasons. Having them back, especially with the youth at that position, make a big difference, Hayes said.

"That's huge because they both have experience in the defense," he said. "When Marcus is on the sideline, he's coaching up the next linebacker in front of him and telling him what's going on."

Boatman in unfamiliar territory (By Chris Nee, Warchant.com)

On Thursday and Friday offensive lineman Shannon Boatman found himself in unfamiliar territory. He lined up at guard instead of his regular tackle position. As for the reason behind the move, Boatman isn't exactly sure but believes it's to give the offensive line some flexibility.

"I really couldn't tell you," Boatman said. "He just tells us that he wants to try guys out at all different positions just in case that if somebody was to go down we would have somebody to fill in. It is better for everybody to know every position than for one person to know a certain position."

The past two days have been the first time that Boatman has played guard since his senior year of high school. The 6-foot-7, 312pound lineman admits the switch hasn't been easy but is coming around.

"It is a little bit of an adjustment because down there in the trenches everything happens real fast," Boatman said. "It is immediate contact once you come off the ball so I just have to get used to that. At tackle I had a lot of space and space to move around and you don't really run into guys much. (At guard) You just have to be real physical and tough down there."

When it comes to where he will line up on Saturday's this fall, Boatman says he doesn't care as long as he's on the field.

"If we have to play any position, as long as he has the best five out there that is what he is looking for," Boatman said. "I just want to play. That is all I want to do. I just want to play this year. I want to go out there and have a good year and help this team win and reach our goals this year."

Highlights from Wednesday's practice (from FSU Sports Info.)

* In run drills, Russell Ball provided the sparks with two long runs. Marcus Sims also pitched in with a big gainer. Defensively Dekoda Watson had a big hit in the backfield, Geno Hayes recorded a tackle for loss as did Toddrick Verdell and Recardo Wright. Anthony Leon had the biggest hit as he lit up a ball carrier deep behind the line of scrimmage.

* Instead of 1-on-1's between the receivers and DB's, the Seminoles ran the drill with two receivers versus two DB's on Friday. Preston Parker had a great gainer which mostly came after the catch. Christian Ponder connected with Richard Goodman. Xavier Lee and Greg Carr hooked up a couple times and D'Vontrey Richardson hit Bert Reed. On the other side of the ball Jamie Robinson stripped a ball away from a receiver as did Michael Ray Garvin. Kenny Ingram broke up a potential completion and Jamie Robinson recorded the only INT of the drill.

* In skeleton drills, Drew Weatherford hit Goodman twice and also connected with Joslin Shaw and Rod Owens. Weatherford also connected with De'Cody Fagg on the biggest pass play of the drill for a long TD. Lee completed passes to Carr and Damon McDaniel. Carr made another great catch later in the period going down and digging out a ball from Richardson. For the defense, Roger Williams broke up a pass and on the play the receiver was crushed by Anthony Houllis who knocked his helmet off with the hit. The biggest play was turned in by Toddrick Verdell though who batted away a pass and stayed with the ball picking it off and taking it back for a TD with his fellow defenders running all the way with him.

* The practice concluded with 11-on-11, which was mainly controlled by the Seminole defense. The offense was able to put together a few nice plays. Ball had the biggest run taking a carry to the endzone. Weatherford and Fagg connected on an underneath route and then Weatherford completed a deeper ball to Owens who was promptly hit by rover Myron Rolle. Seddrick Holloway had a good gainer on the ground and Christian Ponder completed a pass to Greg Carr who had a productive day.

* Defensively Watson had another big hit in the backfield that had the defense celebrating. Justin Mincey also made a nice play getting into the backfield, jumping up and batting away a Lee pass.

Notable

* Antone Smith sat out most of Friday's practice with what Bobby Bowden called a "slight, slight pull".

* Tight end Jonathan Hannah was expected to take part in practice today but was not in attendance.

* Defensive end Kevin McNeil did not participate today. He is day-to-day due to a shoulder issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE U

1st
Strength and conditioning coach Andreu Swasey says he's "overly pleased" with how the team is doing in the weight room and conditioning-wise this fall.

And he was impressed with the numbers the true freshman class put up when they reported over the summer and into fall drills.

Here's a rundown on the freshmen numbers:

BENCH PRESS

Harland Gunn, 390
Allen Bailey, 365
Chris Perry, 330
Adewale Ojomo, 315
Tyler Horn, 300
Damien Berry, 265
Joseph Nicolas, 275
Jared Campbell, 275
Lee Chambers, 255
Daniel Adderley, 245

POWER CLEAN

Allen Bailey, 352
Harland Gunn, 300
Tyler Horn, 242
Joseph Nicolas, 242
Daniel Adderley, 220
Jared Campbell, 220
Adewale Ojomo, 220
Demarcus Van ****, 176

SQUAT

Harland Gunn, 525
Allen Bailey, 500
Tyler Horn, 375
Adewale Ojomo, 365
Jared Campbell, 345
Joseph Nicolas, 345
Lee Chambers, 325
Daniel Adderley, 300
Demarcus Van ****, 275

VERTICAL

Lee Chambers, 39 inches
Joseph Nicolas, 37
Adewale Ojomo, 36
Allen Bailey, 34
Kayne Farquharson, 34
Leonard Hankerson, 33
Demarcus Van ****, 33

40-YARD DASH

Demarcus Van ****, 4.34
Lee Chambers, 4.40
Kayne Farquharson, 4.46
Joseph Nicolas, 4.50
Daniel Adderley, 4.59
Jared Campbell, 4.68
Leonard Hankerson, 4.71
Adewale Ojomo, 4.90
Allen Bailey, 4.93

5-10-5

Joseph Nicolas, 4.28
Lee Chambers, 4.31
Daniel Adderley, 4.32
Leonard Hankerson, 4.53
Jared Campbell, 4.55
Kayne Farquharson, 4.56
Allen Bailey, 4.65
Adewale Ojomo, 4.76

BODY FAT %

Demarcus Van ****, 2.7
Lee Chambers, 3.8
Leonard Hankerson, 4.4
Joseph Nicolas, 5.0
Jared Campbell, 5.2
Kayne Farquharson, 5.4
Damien Berry, 5.6
Daniel Adderley, 6.1
Allen Bailey, 7.5
Adewale Ojomo, 11.0

- Robert Marve's numbers from before his car accident: 285-pound bench, 285-pound squat, 242-pound power clean, 4.59 seconds in the 40, 33-inch vertical, 6.2 percent body fat. Jermaine McKenzie's numbers: 33.5 inch vertical, 4.68-second time in the 40, 4.6 percent body fat.

- Note that numbers for true freshmen Shawnbrey McNeal and Orlando Franklin (other than that he ran a 5.03-second 40 and has 22.9 percent body fat) were unavailable. The numbers of Doug Wiggins and Graig Cooper were included in a weight room report CaneSport.com ran in the summer (they reported in January). To review that information CLICK HERE

Swasey says of the freshmen, as a group, that "In the weight room their strength, they came in with a good base, especially Harland Gunn and Allen Bailey - you can tell there are some guys that can develop real well. They're not obese, not overweight. You look at Harland, he's coming in being able to play for us, Tyler Horn is the same way. It's definitely promising looking with our freshmen that we have."

Typically Swasey will ask freshmen what they run in the 40.

When they test you can usually add .1 or .2 seconds to their times.

"Their high schools test them, they get tested at Nike, so now kids have a consistent time on them and know what they run," Swasey said. "And I test them myself. They're coming in pretty good."

Of how ready this freshmen class is to get immediate playing time physically vs. past classes, Swasey said, "It's a trend over the years on what is becoming more of a norm everyone's starting to lift more. Now kids have better planning (in high school), know about nutrition. It's being monitored at kids' homes, some of them have personal trainers. It's just a trend, the way of the world in training to become a good athlete. If you want your kid to have an opportunity they can't be overweight, have to learn how to eat to give themselves a chance to compete for a scholarship and to play on this level at college."

- Swasey's reaction when he first laid eyes on Allen Bailey?

"Freak," Swasey said. "I mean, he's 278 pounds and verticaled 34 inches. That's amazing."

- Under Larry Coker the team would sit in rows and do stretching while they were seated on the field before practices.

Now the team does that toward the end of practice, warming up before practice with light running and standing exercises.

"That's always been in our arsenal," Swasey said. "Coach (Randy) Shannon starting out wanted to do a little changeup just to break the monotony. The thing with new change, you just want to give kids a little different changeup. It's a form of not doing the static stretches and doing mobility stuff and then doing the post-static stretching."

Swasey says the stretching they're doing now vs. the past can help eliminate tissue pulls.

And the team is also doing more warmup exercises that help reduce shoulder/rotator cuff injuries.

But there's still no stretch or strength exercise that will prevent a torn ACL.

"That's the one thing about our sport, I don't know how you prevent that what are you going to do, train a knee?" Swasey said. "Small tissue pulls, cramping can be prevented with proper stretching, balance in how you train and hydration. But talking about knees if I give you a direct blow on your knee, there's not much you can do to stop it if you're planted in the ground. We have had our misfortunes with some knee injuries, but at the end of the day you have to look at how they come back from it. Every one of our guys comes back from it, which is a credit to (Dr. John) Uribe and the rehab that our training room does and the strength phase (of Swasey's workouts)."

- Something else the team is doing for the first time: Continuing to lift after the first week of two-a-days.

"We never did it before for the full two-a-days," Swasey said. "Two-a-days is changing. It isn't the old two-a-days. (There's only three two-a-days this year) so, talking to coach Shannon, he brought it up that we'll try to lift more through this phase, continue to build strength. This is not a phase for us to down-load in the summer. This is the second stage of us getting into our competition phase. For me it's always been in the plan, but with coach Shannon starting new he's allowed me to move ahead and go full-force with it."

- Swasey's take on the strength and conditioning level of the team right now: "I think right now, with how coach Shannon is doing practice, this is the key there's an acclimation phase where you get in football condition. In the summer you're not doing that. I'm excited. When you get in football shape on top of your great summer phase, now you're dealing with an explosion. I'm overly impressed with our practice. Coach Shannon has a great tempo with them running around and playing at full speed, and I think that's going to make a world of difference in games, especially in the fourth quarter.

2nd
Fifth-year senior WR Darnell Jenkins has seen the Cane offense's decline over the last four years.

And he says he's sure that decline will end this season.

"This isn't the same offense because everyone's coming in with a positive attitude, a must-do attitude," Jenkins said. "It's either you get it done, or sit down. We're competing, and it just looks like a race out there. Everyone's nervous because everyone's playing so well, and no one knows the decision that's going to come from coach (Randy) Shannon the week before the game (on the starting receivers).

"I think all the receivers are doing the right thing, and the quarterbacks, whatever his read is, with everyone running the right routes it opens it up for everybody. We're having fun the O line, receivers, quarterbacks, everybody on offense. We've come together as a whole."

The offense certainly had some big plays today, following on the heels of a strong afternoon practice yesterday.

In three overtime drills today the Cane running backs punched the ball into the end zone each time Javarris James, Derron Thomas and a walkon fullback had the touchdowns.

"The offensive line picked it up, went at the defense," receiver Lance Leggett said.

And there were big plays in the passing game throughout this morning's work. First-year WR Kayne Farquharson had the play of the day with an 80-yard touchdown in 11-on-11 work (he had a 60-yard score yesterday).

Of his touchdown today, Farquharson said, "The corner blitzed and the safety stepped up. The quarterback threw it over the safety's head, I caught it and pulled away."

Farquharson says he's currently a second-teamer, but he says he's not thinking about playing as a true freshman.

"I'm just going to work hard and we'll see what happens," he said.

Jenkins had a short touchdown today in red zone drills. That score followed on the heels of his three touchdowns in yesterday's workouts (Jenkins says he, Sam Shields and Lance Leggett are primarily sharing first team reps right now).

Khalil Jones also found the end zone today in 7-on-7's.

"We're having fun out there," Leggett said.

It wasn't total domination by the offense in today's work.

The defense stopped the offense completely in goal line work.

"They didn't get a yard," defensive back Randy Phillips said.

And there were two interceptions Lovon Ponder, who is off the injured list (he had an ankle injury), had one, and Tavares Gooden had another. Gooden also had a fumble recovery in red zone work. Ponder had another chance for an interception but couldn't handle the pass.

* Leggett says he had a good practice today.

"I had struggled for three days," Leggett said. "I was just stressing myself. I'd miss one pass, then was just getting down on myself. But coach Shannon and coach (Patrick) Nix were talking to me, said to just keep fighting, that you're going to have days like that."

Quote:
"I had struggled for three days," Leggett said. "I was just stressing myself. I'd miss one pass, then was just getting down on myself. But coach Shannon and coach (Patrick) Nix were talking to me, said to just keep fighting, that you're going to have days like that."
smh.gif
smh.gif

Quote:
- Swasey's reaction when he first laid eyes on Allen Bailey?

"Freak," Swasey said. "I mean, he's 278 pounds and verticaled 34 inches. That's amazing."
pimp.gif

Anyone know what two schools made Demens cut?
Team Wolverine
Adams-Arrington-Crable-Graham-Hart-Henne-Jamison-Kraus-Long-Manningham-Mathews-Taylor-Trent-Warren
DETROIT LIONS
Fire Millen​

Michigan and Nebraska. I think he ends up a cornhusker. His overrated teammate Jonas Gray will be more than enough to sway him there.
MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

Quote:

Got a chance to see a lot of Ely cornerback Patrick Johnson last year. After watching him play, you understand why Rivals.com ranks him as the No. 1 cornerback in the country. He turned last year's Soul Bowl matchup against Dillard into a personal showcase, scoring two touchdowns (one kickoff return) and intercepting a pass. Staff Writer Christy Cabrera-Chirinos (C-Cube) caught up with him recently for the blog and here's what he had to say:

CCC: Have you been surprised at how much attention youve been receiving, both from colleges and the media?

PJ: My dad told me it was going to start soon and at first, when the first college hit me, I thought, Oh, this is pretty easy. Then the next college hit. Then Florida State came in with in an offer, the Florida Gators. It got crazy, but you have to learn adjust and take it all in stride.

CCC: Who offered first?

PJ: Florida State and Florida.

CCC: Why did you choose to commit to Miami so early in the process?

PJ: Ever since I got into high school, I knew I wanted to get an offer from Miami. They offered kind of late because they were going through all the coaching arrangements, so when they offered, I ran with it. I was ready to be a part of the `Canes family and I talked to the coaches. It was always a childhood dream for me to play in orange and green at the college level. Its all about the Uthey hadnt come out with that yet, but its always been a championship team. I know theyre kind of down right now, but the program is going to change. Trust me.

CCC: Even though youve made your commitment known, other colleges are still recruiting you hard. Seriously, how strong is your commitment to UM?

PJ: Im pretty settled right now. Unless something really bad comes up, Im pretty settled with my decision.

CCC: What happens if Miami doesnt have a good season this year?

PJ: I have to go back and second-guess my decision then. I need to see if I want to be in that type of commitmentI want to win championships early, but I believe theyre going to have a turnaround season. Im not worried. Its not even on my mind.

CCC: Why are you so confident Miami is going to have that kind of season?

PJ: I think Coach Shannons discipline and the areas hes trying to replace right nowI think hes going to bring a big turnaround to the program.

CCC: What was your reaction to Coach Shannons decision to take players names off the jerseys?

PJ: I was pretty shocked. My dad asked me if I still wanted to go theredidnt I want to see my name on the back of a jersey? It was wowbut it might be a one-year deal. Its like they have to earn the right back to wear their names on their jerseys.

CCC: How do you see yourself fitting in with the kind of defense Miami runs?

PJ: I love it because the cornerbacks get after receivers; the defensive line is always coming and they always have the best defensive lines. They run a lot of press, they dont let receivers get much time to breathe and thats my kind of football. They get after it.

pimp.gif

Even though it's a soft-commit....he's locked in....

I wouldn't be surprised if he's moves from #3 to #1 come February...

Any Cane fans got an opinion on them possibly moving to Dolphins Stadium next year?

We know the Orange Bowl is a dump, but it would be wrong to see Miami playing anywhere else. :smh:
smh.gif

^Long shot we stay in the OB. It's almost a lose-lose for UM. UM won't even come close to being able to fund all the renovations that the OB needs.

It sucks that we might lose all that history...but at the end of the day...football is football.

Rivals Request:

miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=701391

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom