Real Deal College Football Discussion... no homers please

All this recruiting talk is starting to bore me.

What are yall hearing out there? What are some real good position battles going on? Who's gonna be that RB to step on the scene and go bananas on people.
I AIN'T EVEN WIT IT

Um...only real thing out of Athens is that Caleb King may redshirt. He won't like it, but he won't get carries over the two seniors (Lumpkin and Brown), and Moreno (a RSFr.), is supposedly pushing those two for carries.

That, and our O-Line can't stay healthy.

Here's that Rivals piece...

Quote:
The highlight of today's afternoon practice, and perhaps the entire fall to date, was a 99-yard touchdown pass to Darnell Jenkins.

The offense was working on a drill in 11-on-11's coming out from its own goal line.

Jenkins tore downfield and was picked up by safety Kenny Phillips.

Phillips got a finger on the deep pass, but Jenkins then secured it and raced into the end zone.

"We were all the way back there," Jenkins said. "It might have been 100 yards."

H-back Dedrick Epps and WR Ryan Hill also had receiving touchdowns today.

* Calais Campbell had a rare feat for a defensive end today: He got an interception on a checkdown pass to one of the running backs. It was in two-minute drills, so he simply fell down after snaring the pass.

"I had a stunt inside, it got picked up so I had to spy," Campbell said. "The quarterback threw it, I jumped up and just caught it. I just batted it and it went back in my hands.

"After I fell down with it I got tackled by Eric Moncur and all the other linemen jumped on. It felt good, but it kind of hurt. It was a lot of pain. When you make a play that's the worst thing everybody laying on top of you (celebrating), pounding your helmet. But it feels good when you get up."

* It was an impressive showing for the offensive line in goal line drills today.

The line was fired up after coach Jeff Stoutland got on them early in drills for being sluggish. Stoutland won't have much to complain with after the group's showing in goal line drills: In five chances to score on the goal line, the offense scored four times.

In the past that's almost unheard of in fall practices against the UM defense.

"Since I've been here we've never done that," OL Derrick Morse said. "Two out of five is good on our defense. We were out there battling today."

"We came out and did what we have to do up front," OT Chris Rutledge added. "We're trying to be a meaner group up front, a lot more physical."

Graig Cooper and Javarris James had rushing touchdowns today, and FB Jerrell Mabry ran in a pair of scores.

"He's a big man," Morse said of Mabry. "He might be 280 pounds, but he's trucking. He's like the bus, that's what we call him."

Campbell says he's impressed by what he's seen out of the offensive line the last few days of practice.

"They're like a pro offensive line right now," Campbell said. "They're all fighting. They want it. Today they played real well, had some key blocks. They wanted it bad and made some key plays."

Of the overall offense, Campbell says, "They look amazing. They'll be scoring a lot of points this year, are going to shock some people."

Campbell said the defensive line "isn't where we want it to be." But he adds, "We're making some progress and we'll be where we want to be by Sept. 1."

The line was helped by the return of DT Teraz McCray today - he was back in for 11-on-11 work this afternoon in full pads. He'd missed the last several practices with injury.

* After the morning practice OL coach Jeff Stoutland called Derrick Morse one of the three top effort guys he's ever had.

Where does Morse get that drive from?

"I've just got a little bit of pride and don't want anybody to beat me," Morse said. "I don't want to go in and watch film and see another guy physically manhandle me. I don't want the younger guys to see that. I have too much pride to let that happen. As long as you're going 100 percent, controlled aggression ... As coach Stoutland said, effort requires no talent. I'm not the most talented guy, but I'll go 110 percent."

Of working in at center, Morse said, "I love guard, it's more smashmouth, but whatever it takes. They might need me at center at some point this season, so I'm working at it to get acclimated to it."

* New faces working on the side with the injured players in the afternoon practice were RB Lee Chambers and DE Steven Wesley. There was no immediate update on the status of either, but neither injury appeared severe.

Wait I'm confused.

I thought Allen Bailey was gonna play LB. But he's 278 and running a 4.93. They putting him at DE then right??
I AIN'T EVEN WIT IT

Carlos Brown broke his hand and will have surgery this week. That sucks. This kid has some serious talent but so far his first 2 years really haven't panned out that well. I hope he can come back soon because we need him to compete in the return game. I was hoping he would be doing both but it looks like we are gonna have some trouble finding someone to do it. The other guys that were mentioned were not that fast or explosive and with kicking at the 30 it would help to have a guy back there to get us some free yards.

Looks like the right side of Michigans OLine has some serious battles going on. Alex Mitchell is about 20 lbs overweight and Carr is PISSED. It looks like Schilling and Ciulla are fighting for the RG spot and Schilling and Ortmann are fighting for the RT spot. I hope it would be Schilling and Ortmann because Schilling is a beast at RG, but I also wouldn't mind Schilling being the RT and having Ortmann back up both OT spots and get him ready for LT next year when Long leaves. I have also heard that Molk and Moosman have looked good at C and that would be even better because then Boren could move the RG and then we would have 2 VERY mean guys on the right side of the line. Many options. My ideal line would be Long-Kraus-Moosman-Boren-Schilling.

Hopefully something happens with Carson Butler and soon. He would be a huge upgrade for our TE position. Obi and Savoy seem to have had their problems in the Spring and they have paid their dues. I could see them missing a game or 2 though.
MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

Damn first Bass now Brown? That sucks. At least its not as serious of an injury as Bass.

IMO Carson Butler is not that big of a loss, maybe I'm basing it too much on what he did (or didnt do) last year. Sure he has talent but so far he's shown that he doesnt have any hands, Lloyd should give him the Arrington treatment might be good for him.
TEAM WOLVERINE
Those Who Stay Will Be Champions
GO BLUE​

Rivals request

notredame.rivals.com/cont...CID=701688

thanks...
[color=003300]E[/color][color=255025]q[/color][color=6e8b6e]u[/color][color=92a892]i[/color][color=b7c5b7]p[/color][color=dbe3db]o[/color]TR[color=ffb7b7]I[/color][color=ff9292]c[/color][color=ff6e6e]o[/color][color=ff4949]l[/color][color=ff2525]o[/color][color=ff0000]r[/color]​
T E A M M I D W E S T
Reppin the 260
FLO holdin down Indiana​

Man I feel bad for Carlos, last year he got sick and couldn't compete, just free-falled down the depth chart. Now he breaks his hand and is gonna be out for a minute, this sucks :smh:
smh.gif
Team Wolverine
Adams-Arrington-Crable-Graham-Hart-Henne-Jamison-Kraus-Long-Manningham-Mathews-Taylor-Trent-Warren
DETROIT LIONS
Fire Millen​

Talk about it in The Four Horsemen Lounge
D.J. Hord has something to prove.

Matt Cashore
So do all the players around him.

Hord, the 6-foot-1, 196-pound wide receiver from Lee's Summit, Mo., has spent more than a year recovering from a freak Achilles tendon injury that occurred during off-season conditioning.

So he's got something to prove.

His wide-receiver mates have something to prove is well now that Maurice Stovall (whose last season at Notre Dame was 2005), Jeff Samardzija and Rhema McKnight have departed.

"We feel like a lot of people are doubting us right now," said Hord Tuesday morning. "We're playing right now like we have a chip on our shoulders, like we've got something to prove.

"With Jeff, Rhe and Mo gone, it's like, 'What's left?' For us, we want to go out and prove that there's still something here."

All the receivers are anxious to prove the skeptics wrong, but none more than Hord, who made slow, painful progress through last season as he recovered from the injury.

Each week, Hord would take baby steps back to recoveryliterally, baby stepsas he gradually built himself back up by inching his way around the track.

"It was very frustrating because all I could do was sit back the majority of the time and watch and not get involved," Hord said. "It was hard being a teammateYou want to be out there with your teammates and be involved. To just sit there and watch is tough."

Hord saw action in six games as a freshman in '05, making 31 special teams appearances. He returned seven kickoffs for a 17.6-yard average, with a long of 36 yards. He did not catch a pass as a freshman.

Hord participated in drills this past spring, but he still was self-conscious of the injury, doubting his full recovery.

"I didn't know what to expect in the spring," Hord said. "I didn't want to re-injure it. But eventually you just get over it and let it go. I was kind of nervous that I couldn't just play like everyone else did. But I'm good now."

Hord put his skills on display last Saturday in Notre Dame Stadium. He caught virtually everything Demetrius Jones and Evan Sharpley threw his way in one-on-one drills against the defensive backs, and then made a 12-yard reception from Sharpley in the scrimmage portion of the practice.

"Recently, more towards the end of the week than the beginning of the week," said Irish head coach Charlie Weis when asked if Hord had been catching the football like that all week.

"I think D.J. has made great progress," said Irish receivers coach Rob Ianello. "Like everybody in our receiver group, he's coming out every day going to work. All our guys ask good questions. Everybody in that group has a good attitude, and he's along with everybody in that group."

Hord has good sizethink McKnight, not Samardzija or Stovall. He has very good if not great speed. He showed great hands Saturday.

He caught 91 passes his last two years combined at Kansas City Rockhurst High School.

With only David Grimes established within the receiver corps, Hord has just as good of a chance as anyone to emerge as one of the leading threats at wide receiver.

Hord has put himself on a pretty strict timetable considering he enters the '07 season with three years of eligibility remaining.

"You always want to contribute no matter what year you are," Hord said. "As a junior, if I get hurt again, I'm pretty much done, so I've got to step it up.

"I think (my confidence catching the football) is pretty much imbedded. Once you get over the fact that you're not going to get hurt anymore, you just go play. That's how I feel now. I'm over it. I'm good to go now."

If Saturday was an accurate indication of where Hord is headed, you'll be hearing from him quite a bit over the next three seasons.

"I'm trying to compete for a starting spot," Hord said. "I thought I played well Saturday, but camp is more than one practice. You have to have consistent practices. Just because I had one good practice doesn't mean I'm going to start. I've just got to keep it going."

[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

The Andre Berto Movement:Get Down or Lay Down

That Ward jersey is sooo tough. I need that in my life. Let Nike make that jersey with the #9 on the back. It's gonna get copped with the quickness.
I AIN'T EVEN WIT IT

I dunno man,

Where in the @#%$ did they get that gold lettering for the name??? Ur gonna need to take that to an embroidery shop ASAP. get that done correctly
[color=ff0000]P[/color][color=ff3333]H[/color][color=ff6666]I[/color][color=ff9a9a]L[/color]A 76[color=9a9aff]E[/color][color=6666ff]R[/color][color=3333ff]S[/color]
[color=000066]S[/color][color=0000FF]T[/color][color=6699FF]L[/color] R[color=FFFF99]A[/color][color=FFFF33]M[/color][color=FFFF00]S[/color]

thanks for the article gunna.. and that ward jersey does go hard.. i remember i met him when i was younger at a Rod Woodson football camp.. he was a nice guy...
[color=003300]E[/color][color=255025]q[/color][color=6e8b6e]u[/color][color=92a892]i[/color][color=b7c5b7]p[/color][color=dbe3db]o[/color]TR[color=ffb7b7]I[/color][color=ff9292]c[/color][color=ff6e6e]o[/color][color=ff4949]l[/color][color=ff2525]o[/color][color=ff0000]r[/color]​
T E A M M I D W E S T
Reppin the 260
FLO holdin down Indiana​

Yeah renegade, I got that jersey too. Props, on the jersey/tickets pickup

Quote:
Let Nike make that jersey with the #9 on the back. It's gonna get copped with the quickness.
TEAMYANKEES

Just got back from 5 days in the Chi and I see that Carlos broke his hand. :frown:
frown.gif
Quote:
Sure he has talent but so far he's shown that he doesnt have any hands, Lloyd should give him the Arrington treatment might be good for him.
s. It seems like every other play he's jumping offsides (correlation - he's not too smart). He has every physical tool it takes to make it to the big time.
Team Wolverine
Brown-Warren-Stewart-Trent-Adams-Sears-Harrison-Englemon-Dutch-Chambers-Williams

I thought it was official that D'Vontrey gave up baseball. Is he the future at QB?
I AIN'T EVEN WIT IT

Quote:
-In an interview, Lee talks of how he was going to transfer in the spring after the emerald bowl, but the new improved coaching staff made him want to stay

Its Funny, when I said I was privy to info that X wanted to transfer, I had the NT FSU fans jumpin down my neck sayin he was happy. I guess it all came out.

Only place X could play rite away is a struggling DI squad without a trace of a QB. Even at DIAA, he'd only do well because athletic ability. He's a terrific athlete but he makes soo many mistakes, his reads are terrible and part of the blame is the last coaching staff but most lies on X's inability to make good decisions.

Wizard - I think it is official, but I read it a couple days ago an was not sure if it was fact or rumor. As for the future at QB, He may be as its seems as if Jimbo Loves him. But he still has to compete with Lee/Weatherford for at least one more year, AND Ponder AND EJ Manuel for the next 2-3 years. He seems to be a good player. He also played S in HS, so he may be able to switch positions if he does so early enough in his career. I don't see that happening though Hopefully we can get back to the days where the Starting QB was at least a RS Soph or Jr. But it prolly wont happen too much as a lot of these highly touted QB want immediate pt. Inexperince coupled with and coaching has killed our last couple QB's.

Gunna - Yeah, I mean I think I remember that. I think the only reason people were jumping down your neck was b/c they didnt want to believe it since Lee is so gifted. He said if he did transfer, he would go to a low DI squad. The boy does make a lot of mistakes. Hopefully working with Jimbo can get him to make less of them, though he may not be able to shake it fully. Some of his throws are like Dude, @#%$ were you looking at??? The other times, This guy is a first round pick for sure
TEAMYANKEES

The word on Carlos is that the timetable seems to be hinged on how well he can tolerate pain. The break wasn't bad at all and he could be back in 4 weeks if he can tough it out. Good thing its his han so he can stay in shape.

Donovan Warren seems to be legit. The only question is his strenth and weight. Also, how well h can hold up with the wear and tear of the next few weeks. Some insiders say that he is more than likely alreayd in the 2 Deep and rising fast. Nothing better could have been said to me today. He spent early summer and spring working with Desean Jackson. Not bad going against the 2 best WRs in the nation on the reg.

Avery Horn looks impressive also. First couple of practices and he seems to be explosive. That is a big plus considering the Carlos Brown injury.

Mario is 100%. Looks to be a man on a mission. I would be very scared if I was a DB on Michigans schedule.
MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

Quote:
Mario is 100%. Looks to be a man on a mission :lol:
laugh.gif
Let'sGoBlue

make the world a better place, punch bi\\\ martin in the face​
anti-jim harbaugh​

:lol:
laugh.gif

He'd be a fool not to leave.
as a fan, That's the ONLY part of College Football I dont like. is dudes leavin early, but I totally understand.

Lower then Low, The Scum of the Earth

but...but...
5-michigan01367_navy_pd.jpg
Let'sGoBlue

make the world a better place, punch bi\\\ martin in the face​
anti-jim harbaugh​

^ Don't worry, you will see Darryl Stonum rocking the #1 next year. He has already been promised it by the staff and Braylon gave his blessings to grant him it. Stonum is nasty.

Mario wants 86 to be HIS number at Michigan. Didn't want the #1
MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

I'd like to hear some FSU fans thought on the Labor Day game at Clemson...
TEAMNEWYORKMETSget busy livin or get busy dyin, that's g-ddamn right
EMAIL:D[email protected]

emmanuel moodys transferring to osu. good luck to him.
USC TROJANS
Louisiana Superdome January 7, 2008​
Joe McKnight - Future Heisman Winner​

^^^kinda shocked Moody was the one to go, always thought it would be my boy Stafon Johnson but he has got his head on straight and tearing it up in practice now. still to many RB's but alteast some of them can play other postions

TEAMlateNIGHT
>WE NEVER SLEEP<
Lets go Bulls, UCLA,Dodgers and Cowboys!

Back
Top Bottom