Real Deal College Football Discussion... no homers please

@#%$??
A 260 lb TE being used as a KR????
God people have evolved so much

As to my other question, how do they plan on playing Bailey at LB when he's so big and running only a 4.9
I AIN'T EVEN WIT IT

Bailey's been doing okay in practices...

He's getting a fair shot at LB...but the reality is....Dude is 278 as a freshman and he's only going to get bigger.

He'll probably go through this season at LB and convert to DL in the spring.

Anyone hear Huge on Ticket 1050 today? He was doing a show in AA today. Any good interviews?
TEAM WOLVERINE
Those Who Stay Will Be Champions
GO BLUE​

:pimp:
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
ncf_pac10_v_sec_412.jpg
Quote:
We don't need Les Miles lipping off to know the truth: The Southeastern Conference is better than the Pacific-10 in football.

Les Miles

Wesley Hitt/Getty Images

Les Miles might have underestimated the top of the Pac-10, but he's right that the SEC is the stronger conference.

This year and most years.

The LSU coach appealed to his base in early July by taking shots at USC's league. This is what Miles reportedly said at a speaking engagement in New Orleans:

"I would like nothing better than to play USC for the title. I can tell you this: They have a much easier road to travel. They're going to play real knock-down, drag-outs with UCLA and Washington, Cal-Berkeley, Stanford -- some real juggernauts -- and they're going to end up, it would be my guess, in some position so if they win a game or two, that they'll end up in the title [game].

"I would like that path for us. I think the SEC provides much stiffer competition."

When I attended Pac-10 media days later that month, those comments were as popular as Bud Selig at a Bonds family picnic.

"Come check us out," said UCLA defensive end Bruce Davis, sticking up for the league as a whole. "Watch a game or two. Ask teams how they feel after they play us. They think we're out here on surfboards, playing at the beach."

It was Miles who came across dumber than Jeff Spicoli. Impugning UCLA and Cal, for one thing, is simply ignorant. Ignoring the fact that USC has trampled the last four SEC teams it has faced by a combined total of 119 points is worse.

But there is an element of truth to Miles' barbs, no matter how bungled. The SEC is the winner of this cybertournament and is the preeminent conference in college football. Specific to this debate vis--vis the Pac-10, it is tougher in the middle and lower tiers.

USC begins the season as the No. 1 team and deserves it, and the Trojans have some decent backup from UCLA, Cal and Oregon. But the overall pecking order tilts toward the SEC. If you were to steal an idea from college basketball and play an SEC/Pac-10 challenge this year, the boys from Dixie would win seven of 10 (matching their 10 best against the full membership from the West Coast).

Conference Call
Which conference will be the best in 2007? ESPN.com's experts gave the edge to the SEC over the Pac-10. In SportsNation's bracket, the Big Ten and the SEC are battling for supremacy. Bracket
Vote: Pac-10 v. SEC
Vote: Big Ten v. SEC

The reason is simple: The SEC has to be better than the Pac-10. It's nonnegotiable.

The quality of life in the South is dependent upon good college football. Local economies, race relations and collective psychological health all would suffer without it. Sweet tea would not be as sweet. Fried chicken would not be as crispy. Country songs would be even sadder.

If SEC football were mediocre, the South might as well be back in Reconstruction.

On the West Coast, good college football is no more important to the commonweal than comfortable sandals and affordable microbrewed beer. It's a nice perk, but it falls far below vital.

At least 10 SEC schools are crazily committed to football success. In the Pac-10, USC might be it. A few others care, but they stop well short of obsession.

That's why the SEC averaged 75,706 fans per home game last year and the Pac-10 averaged 56,314. That's why Alabama shoved 92,000 people into its stadium for the spring football game. That's why SEC media days last three days and the Pac-10's session lasts five hours.

The difference in passion can be summed up in two walks I took from press box to field level at the end of two games, one year and 3,000 miles apart.

USC vs. Cal Bears

AP Photo/Chris Carlson

Cal came close to stopping Matt Leinart & Co., but Bears fans weren't too shook up by the loss.

Oct. 9, 2004: No. 1 USC 23, No. 7 California 17, in Los Angeles. A great game that went down to the final play, with massive stakes. It would be the only game the Bears would lose in the regular season -- ultimately costing them a shot at the national title and their first BCS bowl appearance. It was the Trojans' narrowest escape on their way to pulverizing Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl and winning the national championship.

While hustling to the field afterward at Memorial Coliseum, I brushed past dozens of Cal fans on their way out. Some looked upset, but some were smiling and remarking what a great game it had been. On the collective disappointment meter, they registered about a 4 -- roughly the same as if they'd gone to the movies and found out the show they wanted to see was sold out. You got the feeling that by the time they walked through the blissful SoCal sun to their cars, they'd pretty well put it behind them.

Nov. 12, 2005: No. 15 Auburn 31, No. 9 Georgia 30, in Athens, Ga. Another great game that went down to the final play, with slightly smaller stakes. The loss prevented the Bulldogs from clinching the SEC Eastern Division (although they would win it later on).

While hustling down between the hedges, I noticed that most Georgia fans were still in their seats. Devastated. When I caught up with the Auburn players prancing off the field, they were dodging projectiles from the stands.

On paper, Georgia fans didn't lose nearly as much that day as California fans had lost the year before. But they lost a whole lot more in their guts.

And that's why the SEC is the king of college football. Because the alternative is too traumatic for the South to handle.

heNz $ GOODFOOT "GRAPE" VARSITY JACKET SZ. M, NESS JACKETS/HATS
My$pace

Here's the QB battle that we've been watching all summer...resolved!

Tyler Lorenzen has been named the starting QB at UConn.

I only took interest because of the last name. Yes, he's the brother of the Hefty Lefty. Sadly, Tyler is only 6'5", 220.

|I
tired.gif

^ That was a sick catch. Didn't they review it? I don't remember really as a matter of fact I don't know how I got to the stadium that day :lol:
laugh.gif

Anyways 13 days till kickoff :pimp:
pimp.gif
Team Wolverine
Brown-Warren-Stewart-Trent-Adams-Sears-Harrison-Englemon-Dutch-Chambers-Williams

:lol:
laugh.gif
Let'sGoBlue

make the world a better place, punch bi\\\ martin in the face​
anti-jim harbaugh​

I need a sweet avy.
TEAM WOLVERINE
GO BLUE​

Quote:
With Kyle Wright sitting out with an apparent knee injury today, Kirby Freeman stepped up his game.

Freeman threw three long touchdowns in 11-on-11 work and also had a touchdown pass in 7-on-7's.

Sam Shields, Lance Leggett and Ryan Hill caught the touchdowns in team drills.

"They were all 60-yard plus touchdowns," receiver Darnell Jenkins said.

Hill said of his score that "It was a bubble screen. The corner blitzed, I caught it, made a move and hit the sideline. It went for 70 or 80 yards. We had those two other touchdowns in 11-on-11 and also had a touchdown in 7-on-7 to Lance, over 50 yards.

"This was one of our better days. The last few days we've been stepping it up, and today was one of our better days."

Safety Lovon Ponder gave credit to the offense in today's workout.

"We've got fast guys making big plays Sam and Ryan Hill, those guys are 4.2, 4.3 guys," Ponder said.

Asked if he likes seeing the offense get some big plays since that could mean good things for the offense's explosiveness this season, Ponder said, "Well, in practice we're enemies, so I don't want to see them throw any deep balls. If it was against another team, another color, I'd like it."

Ponder said a couple of the long scores were busts by defensive players.

"They were busts where guys weren't in the right position, but then (the receivers) just turned on their athletic ability," Ponder said. "It was just some guys had some little mental mistakes (on defense), that's all."

* Freshman CB Demarcus VanDyke continues to work as a first teamer.

He had a nice play today, breaking up a pass in the two-minute drill on a fourth down play to end a drive.

"I'm just trying to learn the system still, get technique down," he said.

How is that coming?

"I'm coming along because guys like Lovon, Randy Phillips, Kenny Phillips help me along," he said. "I'm picking their brain."

VanDyke says he's arriving in the football offices at 6:45 every morning to go over film before practice.

"I leave about 10 o'clock (at night) after watching film, so I'm working all day," VanDyke said.

* Of the offense's play today, VanDyke said, "The offense did pretty well today. They had a lot of long runs. Khalil Jones, Sam Shields, Ryan Hill, Lance Leggett did their thing today."

TEAMlateNIGHT
>WE NEVER SLEEP<
Lets go Bulls, UCLA,Dodgers and Cowboys!

Yo zs,

The link didn't work for me. If you could paste the article I'd appreciate it.
Team Wolverine
Adams-Arrington-Crable-Graham-Hart-Henne-Jamison-Kraus-Long-Manningham-Mathews-Taylor-Trent-Warren
DETROIT LIONS
Fire Millen​

Quote:
After battling an injury last year, Larry Caper is back in action and ready to suit up for his Battle Creek Central High School team. The 2009 prospect is one of the best players in the state of Michigan, and because of that he is already attracting some big time interest from schools in the Midwest.

Caper is ready to get back on the field.
With their first scrimmage of the season coming up, Caper and his teammates are working hard to get ready for the season. "Everything is going good; we are working out the wrinkles since we haven't played together in a while. Our first scrimmage is against Granville, and we are looking forward to that," he said.

Caper knows that for him the main thing is just to stay healthy and make sure that he is out on the field helping out his teammates.

"The main thing is just to stay healthy and help my team out," Caper said. "I think everything is going smooth right now; I am just working hard and everything."

Getting back on the field and being able to hit someone in a different color jersey is something that Caper has been looking forward to for quite a while. "I've been looking forward to this for a long time. It is a week before the regular season; it is a chance to see where I'm at and where my team is at."

Caper is a natural running back, but with his speed and athleticism he would also look good playing safety or even linebacker. While he knows he could help out the team on the defensive side of the ball, Caper was told by his coach that he is going to mostly play offense in an attempt to keep him fresh throughout the season.

"I'm mostly going to play on offense, but coach also said he is going to put me in the rotation at safety," Caper said. "(Coach) said I am going to get a lot of carries this year, so he wants me fresh. I will play defense some, but not too much."

When it comes to recruiting, Caper is hearing from some of the best schools in the Midwest. "Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Boston College, and I have been getting some stuff recently from Rutgers and Florida."

While he hasn't heard from Ohio State recently, Caper did acknowledge that they were sending him mail throughout his sophomore season. "I haven't heard from them recently, Ohio State sent me some letters and stuff during my sophomore year."

When asked what it is like to be courted by major programs so early, Caper said, "It is a good feeling, I am happy about it, but my dad told me to be happy but not conceded."

Taking the recruiting in stride is easy for Caper. Because of that, he is able to focus on the field where he has some very lofty goals for himself and for his team. "My first goals are team oriented. I want to do what I need to do to help us get a state championship. Also I want us to come together as a family as like one unit. As for my personal goals, one is to average 12 yards per carry. If I do that, then I would be between 1,500-2,000 yards for the season."
TEAM WOLVERINE
GO BLUE​

2 more wks! Ah...
'Guys like Meachum and Bowe better be all world, because Gonzo is one of the more impressive rookie WRs I've ever seen.'

Longest two weeks ever.
TEAM WOLVERINE
GO BLUE​

Good lookin zs!

Played against Capers when I was a soph, dudes a beast. Our two teams, Battle Creek Central and Kalamazoo Central have the longest sports rivalry in the state of Michigan, even longer then OSU vs UM. He's a cool dude though and he's gonna be Blue as long as he doesn't get scared off by the competition from McGuffie and Co. Lookin forward to our meeting week 6.

Yo Answer I should be there a lot during welcome week cause my bro is a incoming frosh and is moving in, ima hit you up maybe we can crack some beers and talk football :lol:
laugh.gif
Team Wolverine
Adams-Arrington-Crable-Graham-Hart-Henne-Jamison-Kraus-Long-Manningham-Mathews-Taylor-Trent-Warren
DETROIT LIONS
Fire Millen​

Back
Top Bottom