Reed vs Polamalu

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by Greezee

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

but Ed Reed is one of, if not THE best defensive playmaker of all-time. 

NOT EVEN TOP 10
Could you list out those 10 other dudes ahead of him please?  Thanks. 

Dude said playmaker. Here is a possible list in no order except for #1

1.Lawrence Taylor
2.Deion Sanders
3.Ronnie Lott
4.Ray Lewis
5.Junior
6.Mike Singletary
7.Rod Woodson
8.Youngblood
9.Reggie White
10.Richard Dent

You're welcome.

You must consider tackles to be "making plays"  I think taking the ball away is a tad better then tackles and sacks.  So go ahead and move White, Dent, Seau, Youngblood, Singletary, and Lewis on down the list.  I agree with Deion, I'll let Rod slide, I think I can live with LT I consider his plays just flat "different"  Maaaaaaybe Lott, I dunno about that, but I wouldn't complain. 

So I'm lettin you have 4-5, now go ahead and name those other 5 for me. 
happy.gif

CP you actually explained yourself and I commend that. The other guys just want laughs. Now, a tackle/sack can take the ball away it's just a bit different than a pick. Those two things prevent the ball from forward progression. That's another convo though. OP should have specified to DB/S and things would be different. I'm not naming another 5.

I certainly hear that a big sack or something could LEAD to a punt (like a takeaway) but the same thing could also be you get a sack on second down, and on third down the team converts and keeps the ball.  Know what I mean?  The percentage certainly lean towards a sack ending a drive, but it's not the same as an actual play that in facts takes the ball away.  

I hear you loud and clear. Try this on. What about a tackle/sack that causes a fumble? Is that not taking the ball away? What about a LB or d-lineman that tips a pass and causes
it to get intercepted? Is that not taking the ball away? That is considered playmaking also is it not? Maybe I'm thinking to much into this but I stand by what I said. No beef at all.
You're actually explaining yourself instead of going for the lulz.

NOT EVEN TOP 10

1.Lawrence Taylor
2.Deion Sanders
3.Ronnie Lott
4.Ray Lewis
5.Junior
6.Mike Singletary
7.Rod Woodson
8.Youngblood
9.Reggie White
10.Richard Dent

You're welcome.

You must consider tackles to be "making plays"  I think taking the ball away is a tad better then tackles and sacks.  So go ahead and move White, Dent, Seau, Youngblood, Singletary, and Lewis on down the list.  I agree with Deion, I'll let Rod slide, I think I can live with LT I consider his plays just flat "different"  Maaaaaaybe Lott, I dunno about that, but I wouldn't complain. 

happy.gif

CP you actually explained yourself and I commend that. The other guys just want laughs. Now, a tackle/sack can take the ball away it's just a bit different than a pick. Those two things prevent the ball from forward progression. That's another convo though. OP should have specified to DB/S and things would be different. I'm not naming another 5.

I certainly hear that a big sack or something could LEAD to a punt (like a takeaway) but the same thing could also be you get a sack on second down, and on third down the team converts and keeps the ball.  Know what I mean?  The percentage certainly lean towards a sack ending a drive, but it's not the same as an actual play that in facts takes the ball away.  

I hear you loud and clear. Try this on. What about a tackle/sack that causes a fumble? Is that not taking the ball away? What about a LB or d-lineman that tips a pass and causes
it to get intercepted? Is that that taking not the ball away? That is considered playmaking also is it not? Maybe I'm thinking to much into this but I stand by what I said. No beef at all.

I was considering the strip fumbles, part of why I mentioned LT (who pretty much invented the strip sack)  and I accounted for those. 

Ray, Dent, Mike, those guys aren't garbage or anything, certainly fine playmakers, but I don't think they have "enough" so to speak to match up with Reed.  With fumbles, picks, sacks, tackles for loss, etc etc.  Thing is, it's not as if Reed never caused a fumble, or a sack or any of those either.  Not as many as a LB certainly, just as a LB wouldn't have as many picks and what not. 

They may very well be in a top 10 vote, I just don't have them higher then Reed would be.  I'd have to sit down and crunch the numbers all around, if I get time I may do that but probably not tonight. 
laugh.gif

NOT EVEN TOP 10

1.Lawrence Taylor
2.Deion Sanders
3.Ronnie Lott
4.Ray Lewis
5.Junior
6.Mike Singletary
7.Rod Woodson
8.Youngblood
9.Reggie White
10.Richard Dent

You're welcome.

happy.gif

it to get intercepted? Is that that taking not the ball away? That is considered playmaking also is it not? Maybe I'm thinking to much into this but I stand by what I said. No beef at all.

I was considering the strip fumbles, part of why I mentioned LT (who pretty much invented the strip sack)  and I accounted for those. 

Ray, Dent, Mike, those guys aren't garbage or anything, certainly fine playmakers, but I don't think they have "enough" so to speak to match up with Reed.  With fumbles, picks, sacks, tackles for loss, etc etc.  Thing is, it's not as if Reed never caused a fumble, or a sack or any of those either.  Not as many as a LB certainly, just as a LB wouldn't have as many picks and what not. 

They may very well be in a top 10 vote, I just don't have them higher then Reed would be.  I'd have to sit down and crunch the numbers all around, if I get time I may do that but probably not tonight. 
laugh.gif

We both have strong/valid points. I will not debate that at all. You're alright with with me. Those other dudes came in here with the
laugh.gif
 and
indifferent.gif

like what I said was a farce.

We both have strong/valid points. I will not debate that at all. You're alright with with me. Those other dudes came in here with the
laugh.gif
 and
indifferent.gif

like what I said was a farce.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

I don't have the energy for it CP.
laugh.gif

Comparing stats though... 7 less INT's than Reed, 12 more FF's than Reed, 4 more touchdowns than Reed, 50 more tackles than Reed (tackles stat taken since 2002... For some reason NFL.com doesn't have Chucks tackle stats to that point...)

Ahh well. Ill save myself for when people are talkin bout Woodson and Hall of Fame status. His 2006-present campaign has made him quite a case for Canton.
Can't front Woodson's Green Bay tenure has been straight
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

I don't have the energy for it CP.
laugh.gif

Comparing stats though... 7 less INT's than Reed, 12 more FF's than Reed, 4 more touchdowns than Reed, 50 more tackles than Reed (tackles stat taken since 2002... For some reason NFL.com doesn't have Chucks tackle stats to that point...)

Ahh well. Ill save myself for when people are talkin bout Woodson and Hall of Fame status. His 2006-present campaign has made him quite a case for Canton.
Can't front Woodson's Green Bay tenure has been straight
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Wood came into the league as that naturally gifted top tier athlete that slept through meetings and just relied on his athletic abilities to get the job done... He talks about it all the time.

Hes put in the time and effort 100x over the last 5 years. Give that kind of athlete with his instincts a free peak at the test and hes going to be able to make plays.
sick.gif
if he put this kind of effort in for all 13 years.
30t6p3b.gif

Wood came into the league as that naturally gifted top tier athlete that slept through meetings and just relied on his athletic abilities to get the job done... He talks about it all the time.

Hes put in the time and effort 100x over the last 5 years. Give that kind of athlete with his instincts a free peak at the test and hes going to be able to make plays.
sick.gif
if he put this kind of effort in for all 13 years.
30t6p3b.gif

I think the term playmaker is what is hard to decipher. I can name 10 better defensive players probably, but play maker might be more difficult

I think the term playmaker is what is hard to decipher. I can name 10 better defensive players probably, but play maker might be more difficult

Umm. Ed Reed is one of the greatest of all time. Why are we even debating this. Troy Polamalu is one of the greatest of all time. Why are we even debating this. And just a thought, not throwing anything into a rankings list but i think both of em

are damn good playmakers lol. I doubt anyone is going to argue against that. I'm mad someone even put a list of top 10 playmakers, it's not like someone went back and watched each players game tapes and counted the damn plays. smh.

These dudes all make or made plays throughout their careers, which is why were even talking about them IN THE FIRST PLACE!....One last thing, how scary would it be to have both Ed and Troy in the same secondary....(just got chills)

Umm. Ed Reed is one of the greatest of all time. Why are we even debating this. Troy Polamalu is one of the greatest of all time. Why are we even debating this. And just a thought, not throwing anything into a rankings list but i think both of em

are damn good playmakers lol. I doubt anyone is going to argue against that. I'm mad someone even put a list of top 10 playmakers, it's not like someone went back and watched each players game tapes and counted the damn plays. smh.

These dudes all make or made plays throughout their careers, which is why were even talking about them IN THE FIRST PLACE!....One last thing, how scary would it be to have both Ed and Troy in the same secondary....(just got chills)

LeBeau with both; sending Troy on mad blitzes while Ed roams around and picks off all the errant passes? Madden style

LeBeau with both; sending Troy on mad blitzes while Ed roams around and picks off all the errant passes? Madden style

Back
Top Bottom