Retros: Would you rather have them true to the OG or better?

OG vs retro debate.  All of you are familiar with that.  The general consensus is that people would rather have the shoes retro'ed as being identical, if not nearly identical, to their original counterparts.  People seem to want it to be that way apparently for nostalgia, however, the OGs are by no means perfect.  JB unfortunately stopped complying with fans' demand of wanting the shoes to look like originals with the removal of Nike Air and gradual decline in quality, shape, color, etc.  Heard them reason out of something along the lines of honoring the OG collectors or something.  Differentiating between the originals and retros doesn't have to be a drawback, though.  What if JB made positive improvements to the retros?  Maybe like adding in a zoom air bag to the older models, using newer tech, etc.

So my question is:  would you guys be opposed to or support having retros that are superior to the originals?  Maybe not primarily design wise, but in ways such as craftsmanship, materials etc.

Example:  like the Alpha 1s, but aesthetically more similar to the OG.  I'm pretty sure JB could have done a better job.  They could have made the shoes look exactly like the OGs while coming equipped with modern zoom air technology.  However that wasn't the case.  The Alpha 1s are much more bulky.

Personally, I'd rather have retros that are superior to the originals in every aspect but visual design.  Let some of the older models have zoom air (wouldn't it be neat if the 11s had zoom? crazy).  Use Nike's Pro Combat tech as replacement for the inside upholstery of some of the shoes.  Use LunarLon cushioning even.  Premium leather too much to ask for?  Maybe even throw in some Hyperfuse or Flywire as long as it doesn't impose on the shoe's original design.  Use new tech and keep it subtle, keep moving forward.  Still pays respect to the OGs that they're different from them, right?  

Looks and colors should remain as close to the originals as possible.

With that said, if they can improve on the craftsmanship and materials I'd be all for it. For example, Nike can create a shoe which can now you your "fuel stats" thru a mobile device but they can't figure out how to stop the yellowing process on clear soled shoes. What's with that?

Paint chipping and crumbling over time still exists when I know there has been vast improvements on paints, foams and leathers since the 1980's.

Do you like the .0s? JB doesn't know when to stop and we get that crap
No, not at all.  I like the idea, but the execution was poor.  JB went overboard in improving the shoes that they ended up redesigning them.  With a model like the 8s, for example, you can't really mess around much with the dominant material of the shoes.  In this case, leather/nubuck/suede.  They could, however, have used a more modern, breathable, and lightweight material for the inside of the shoes.  I think that's what retros really should be about, paying homage to the originals while still moving forward (as per the credo that Gentry, or whoever from JB said in regards to ensuring that the OG collectors keep their integrity).  JB can always milk the OGs for what they'r worth if worse comes to worse, and call it a "re-issue" or something, making them EXACTLY like the OGs, right down to the branding, packaging, shape, material, you name it.  Die-hard fans will be all over those shoes and would pay top dollar.  The older OG Jordans are ridiculously priced anyway.  Let's home some bright minds over at JB starts coming up with similar ideas that aren't made under the sole basis of making a profit.  

With that said, if they can improve on the craftsmanship and materials I'd be all for it. For example, Nike can create a shoe which can now you your "fuel stats" thru a mobile device but they can't figure out how to stop the yellowing process on clear soled shoes. What's with that?

Paint chipping and crumbling over time still exists when I know there has been vast improvements on paints, foams and leathers since the 1980's.
Yeah, I definitely agree with you Cory.  I doubt Nike/ Jordan Brand would ever entertain the notion of upgrading retro products (at least for a general release), considering they're a business with the mentality of maximizing profits and minimizing costs.  Plus, if they made quality products built to last, then that'll put a dent in their profit making machine as there would be more people who'd be content with their purchases and less likely to look for replacements when their shoes are all worn out.  

Honestly I dont mind a few changes... but if I could have it my way I would like everything kept as close to OG as possible.

IMO some of the little things we complain about today are actually "improvements" related to things we complained about in the past.

Ex.1 Paint chipping midsoles - One of the reasons modern retro midsoles paint chips so badly is because the the foam used today is a "small cell" foam. JB uses this foam on newer retros because it is much more durable and resistant to crumblling than the older foam midsoles. The old style "large cell" foam was more porous and therefore actually absorbed and bonded with the paint, making it much more resistant to chipping.

Also... IMO the only reason JB started painting the white parts of the AJ3 midsole is because SOOOOO many people used to gripe and complain how hard (nearly impossible) it was to clean the white part of the midsole once it got dirty. Now we have midsoles that wipe clean easily, but chip by the 10th wear.

Ex.2 Durabuck - OK...I might get some hate on this but I cant be the only one who remembers people back in the day being mad as hell when the Durabuck upper on their shoes started to chip. I remember this being especially prominant on the 2000 Infrared VIs on the ankles. Cats would hoop in their shoes a few times and the black part of the ankle bubble would start to chip off and reveal the white fuzz underneath.

The suede used on the 2009/10 Varsity reds and Infrareds is 100% real suede and I can guarantee you the natural material cost JB more money than a synthetic suede like durabuck. Some people say JB simply "ran out" of durabuck but remember now... the Oreos released at the same time and used black durabuck, but not on the ankle that was very susceptible to chipping. JB has the material, they just decided not to use it in favor of real suede.

Personally... I prefer the old school durabuck upper because its what I remember and makes the shoe much more nostalgic. But I really do think JBs motive was trying to "improve" the material and durability of the shoes and it just so happened to backfire.

I honestly don't know If it's more cost effective to use a varsity red compared to a fire red but on retros like the 4's that just released you can really tell the difference (to me). So as stated before, I would love to see them keep the colors and shape but possibly a "re-invented" inner cushioning system or something like that would be nice.

As "TRUE" to OG as possible.

I believe we all come to expect no Nike Air.

For the most part, that ship has sailed.

I wouldn't mind a upgrade in material quality, but that doesn't seem to be the case. But if its not to upgrade the material, than as close to the OG as possible.

retro + when done well is just as good if not sometimes better than og. imo they need to hold back on the og colours for rare occasions. 1-14's are getting boring imo. i won't be copping any more og colouways from that lot any time soon.

ijapino makes good points about material and quality. i agree.

when it comes to jumpman vs nike air, the only pairs it really bothers be with are the 1's and vi's. the rest are fine with jumpman logos imo. 1's and vi's NEED nike air, as fundamental for the design aesthetics.

lastly, i appreciate why durabuck needed an improvement, those chips and peels were quite bad. but nubuck/suede is a terrible replacement. yes it will last much longer, but the shoes look far too different to make it worthwhile.

OG is grand, all day, but having new keeps the o.g. from existence. though, i would rather have all o.g.s

FIX the paint issue and intayellow out the box and i think we have winners...

Honestly I dont mind a few changes... but if I could have it my way I would like everything kept as close to OG as possible.
IMO some of the little things we complain about today are actually "improvements" related to things we complained about in the past.
Ex.1 Paint chipping midsoles - One of the reasons modern retro midsoles paint chips so badly is because the the foam used today is a "small cell" foam. JB uses this foam on newer retros because it is much more durable and resistant to crumblling than the older foam midsoles. The old style "large cell" foam was more porous and therefore actually absorbed and bonded with the paint, making it much more resistant to chipping.
Also... IMO the only reason JB started painting the white parts of the AJ3 midsole is because SOOOOO many people used to gripe and complain how hard (nearly impossible) it was to clean the white part of the midsole once it got dirty. Now we have midsoles that wipe clean easily, but chip by the 10th wear.
Ex.2 Durabuck - OK...I might get some hate on this but I cant be the only one who remembers people back in the day being mad as hell when the Durabuck upper on their shoes started to chip. I remember this being especially prominant on the 2000 Infrared VIs on the ankles. Cats would hoop in their shoes a few times and the black part of the ankle bubble would start to chip off and reveal the white fuzz underneath.
The suede used on the 2009/10 Varsity reds and Infrareds is 100% real suede and I can guarantee you the natural material cost JB more money than a synthetic suede like durabuck. Some people say JB simply "ran out" of durabuck but remember now... the Oreos released at the same time and used black durabuck, but not on the ankle that was very susceptible to chipping. JB has the material, they just decided not to use it in favor of real suede.
Personally... I prefer the old school durabuck upper because its what I remember and makes the shoe much more nostalgic. But I really do think JBs motive was trying to "improve" the material and durability of the shoes and it just so happened to backfire.

Dank, the var. red / infrared 6's from 2010 were Nubuck, not suede. Last Jordan i can think of that has actual suede were the black/blue and cdp 18's.

Also, the bordeauxs had a durabuck/nubuck mix.

We'll never get a 100% accurate or perfect product, because if they did make it, we'd never come back. This way, we buy the 2006 mars iv's, deal with the BS, and then a few years later, the 2012 model arrives with improvements and its own problems. We buy again. etc etc etc.

Last edited:
It would be great to be able to play ball in a pair of 3s or 5s with updated internal tech. And I've seen this idea proposed before, but I'll say it again. Perhaps 2 or 3 times a yr, JB should do a special release of an OG colorway. Now, they can implement that new tech ( I really like the idea of zoom and pro combat cushioning). Of course, NIKE AIR absolutely HAS to be on the back :lol: of those that originally had them. Externally, keep it as close as possible. Internally, there are vast improvements that can be made. I personally like the extra thick insoles of the Lebron line and the cushion underneath the Lebron 8 insole.

The Alpha was a decent effort and something to build upon.

I personally wouldn't want new technology on them. In regards to that I'd rather have them more similar to the OG's. Better materials (leather, suede, etc) would be appreciated, though.

i wouldnt wan that at all if i think i understand what your saying. no need to keep butchering the past just make great NEW products nike basketball is in the best place since the 90's imo and their using all new materials and designs so it can be done. the one drawback for JB is he doesnt play anymore and lacks the connection for his new consumers and his JB athletes are good but mostly arent the best he needs the best to be the face of the brand.

I would not want the OG 12's those were like bricks on the feet.

Last edited:
Scaled precisely to OG models. Hand picked/high grade garment material from Italy. No more + or extra colorways. Nike Air branding and OG Boxing. Bring back the OG clothing and accessories campaigns of that said Air Jordan model year. No more limited edition production numbers. Slap a 299.99 or 324.99 price tag on each shoe and im down. 

Back
Top Bottom