Review of Countdown pack XI's. NEW PICS UPDATE 2/10/09

Hello Niketalk,

Here is my review of the Blk/Red XI's. *NOTE*= This review will regard my overall impressions of the shoes after wearing them just about everyday sincethey released and over 20 different gym sessions. Gym sessions include= basketball (both half and full), weightlifting, and assorted types of cardio.

My background= 6'1", 250lbs. I play whatever position my team needs filled for that specific game. Sometimes it's point, sometimes center. When Ilift weights it's usually heavy. My cardio includes elliptical, stairs, and jogging/running lines on the basketball court.

on to the review=

Comfort and fit=4.5 out of 5 stars.

First, I wear double socks when I play ball. Since I wear double socks the inside of pretty much any athletic shoe feels smooth. I didn't notice any ridgesor anything out of the ordinary. They run true to size in my experience.

Ankle Support= 5 out of 5 stars.

About 8 years ago, while playing full court b-ball, I was undercut by a freakin' idiot and I torn some ligaments in my ankle because I landed on top ofhim. Since then, ankle support has become a HUGE concern of mine. The XI's are ridiculously supportive if you lace them very tightly and use all the laceloops. I've seen some dudes play ball without lacing their shoes at all. I am not one of them.

Cushioning= 5 out of 5 stars

Once the midsole is broken in, the full length air bladder becomes very responsive. Will it ever feel like Zoom? No. Zoom air is best described as hundreds ofrubber bands stretched out then injected with air in the middle of the bands. It's the reason why it feels so springy beneath your feet. The XI'sfeature an air bladder that won't have the same trampoline effect/feeling, but is still exceptional at absorbing impact. I tend to bottom out zoom airshoes unless they are double stacked like the Jordan XIX's or the Lebron V's. Again, don't expect the springy feeling of zoom with these XI's,but do expect great impact protection while playing basketball.

Traction= 4.5 out of 5 stars

Perhaps wearing them for other things besides basketball has negatively affected the traction of these shoes. Out of the box, the traction was exceptional. Notsqueak inducing, but definitely stop on a dime with no problem. The traction today is average. Before my next game, I'll clean the bottoms and see if ithelps. As it stands right now, The best rating I can give it is 3.5 stars.
*UPDATE* Score is now 4.5 stars. I had to clean the bottoms because it's been raining here in SoCal. Traction is now squeak inducing.

Durability= 5 out of 5 stars

Man, I've put a lot of miles on these shoes and they still look great. I haven't had any problems with any part of the shoes coming loose, or fallingoff, or separating or anything like that. I'm really pleasantly surprised at how little creasing there is too. I've had people step on my XI's,I'm constantly flexing the shoes when I lift, and yet while the creases are there, it's not nearly as bad as I think there gonna be. Also, one of thebest things about this colorway is that the soles won't turn piss yellow after wearing them. Gotta love that.

Overall, I rate these shoes a solid "A". Perhaps after I clean the bottoms, I'll report back with an "A+". Do you guys remember Jordanhitting the floor and crying after winning it all in 96? Do you remember the ad "Money walks" ? Black/Red XI's baby. Black/Red XI's.

Thanks for the review.

Surprising to see someone use them for so many activities besides casual use.

I've only seen one person play in XI's, they're just too nice (and expensive) to justify playing in when there are so many better (and cheaper)options available. But the CDP XI's are only half of the package, and retail isn't that much.

The Jordan 23 was one of the worst shoes ive ever played in. SOOOO stiff, didnt fit well at all, clunky, heavy, didnt breath well. I like the look of the shoe,But it was terrible in terms of performance. The last shoe I liked in the Jordan line is prolly the 20s. I have the Jordan 3,8,9,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,20 and23, and when I wear any of them, they suck compared to the Kobe line. They dont even compare. Im done with Jordan. I aint paying 270$ canadian for a shoe thatisnt the greatest shoe ever made. maybe if it came with a happy ending.

^That's the spirit.

We need more of that. Too many people automatically eat up Jordan Brand crap with no questions asked.

Think about it, if someone was charging $175+ for one pair of basketball shoes that don't perform that great, that have major flaws like ventilationissues, traction issues, durability, or even take too damn long to put on, who's going to want those? Well, throw a Jumpman on there and everyone will.

The only Jordan signature that performs well for me is the XIV. That's it. Other shoes are okay, but not even close to being the best in the market.XX's are great, but they have too many loopholes, literally, just to put on. Traction isn't great and the midfoot strap is useless.

The point is, all of these shoes might be good values when they're on sale AND you get a F+F discount. But at retail, they're jokes.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm attaching some pics of how my shoes look today, without being too manicured.

2cmu6h0.jpg

w7mnus.jpg

eg8hlg.jpg

2gtakoj.jpg

qz0lg6.jpg

By the way, the marks on the patent leather are either water marks, or reflections.

Originally Posted by blackcat23mj

nice solid and descriptive review!!! thanks!!
yeah and nice to see someone besides me wear their jay's for gym or playing hoops in

the jordan count down packs are for more shoe wearing, jordan has taken full advantage of their shoes popular status with teens these days.
believe it or not its about making money.
still a basketball shoe, but not close to a good shoe as they were.

i dont own the cdp xi's but the 2001s, im wouldn't dare ball in them =]

good review though.

I'm gonna have to try this sock double-up technique. What type of socks do you use for this? My 10.5 XI's wore my pinky toes raw after the first twotimes out on the court, about four hours of play. Now I'm scared to even wear them again, because it's been almost a month and my left pinky toe isstill recovering. It's weird because I ball almost everyday in the XII's in a size 10 and haven't had a single problem with them. It really bums meout because the XI's were the whole reason I bought this pack in the first place.

Originally Posted by stevedensmore

I'm gonna have to try this sock double-up technique. What type of socks do you use for this? My 10.5 XI's wore my pinky toes raw after the first two times out on the court, about four hours of play. Now I'm scared to even wear them again, because it's been almost a month and my left pinky toe is still recovering. It's weird because I ball almost everyday in the XII's in a size 10 and haven't had a single problem with them. It really bums me out because the XI's were the whole reason I bought this pack in the first place.

Any thick socks will do as long as they are not too short. I lace them really tight, so no-show socks are a no-no.

i would hoop in them if i got them.

hooped my spacejams, cool grays, columbias, all my patent lows..

shoes are meant to be worn.

not to call you a liar bro, but I find it hard to believe that you have hooped in those and worked out as much as you did and they still look like that.

Ive only worn mine casually a few times and they dont look as clean as those. Mine are by no means beaters, but not that clean

good review, I wish the pack was as high of quality as when they were first released tho..
frown.gif

Man, all these Megan Good pics. So fine! I just saw Stomp the yard the other day too. That pink short track set she had on?? Straight convulsion status.

Originally Posted by woopaloo

good review, I wish the pack was as high of quality as when they were first released tho..
frown.gif

Here's something regarding "quality", I've cracked the carbon fiber plates on all my OG's and retros, and I'm talking after maybe 5or 6 games. I've played in over 10 games with my countdown pack XI's, and the carbon fiber plate is still intact. I'll post pics later when I get achance of my cracked XI's.

Nice to see them holding up so well. Dont think i'll ever ball in my XIs simply because i can't afford it. I too will be trying the double socktechnique as im constantly getting blisters on the balls of my feet.

Back
Top Bottom