RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

Some of you seem not to get it. Because some people didn't like or respect South rap doesn't mean everyone didn't from New York.

Hot 97 not playing down south music had what to do with the people in New York?

I'm talking about the NY vs the South ******** that kinda kicked off around the early 2000s with the Snap movement....

And you bring up Snoop and NWA bruh? :lol:

As as far as the second post, Nas never dissed Jeezy so I don't even know what the hell you talking about :lol:  The whole Jeezy/Nas **** started because Jeezy was offended about Nas naming his album Hip Hip is Dead and then they squashed it shortly after.

NY versus The South started long before the early 2000's. It was pretty much New York versus everybody. The west coast complained about New York. Southern artist complained.

And the snap movement was wack rap more than the south. There was a lot of wack rap coming from the south, i.e. snap rap.

NY ****** in here trying to re-write history? :nerd: :lol:

Most of the artist themselves would tell you they fronted on the south.

As Fat Joe (an early embracer of the south) famously said in the "Make it rain" remix.....

"Why is everybody so mad at the south for? Change your style up/ Switch to Southpaw"

:smokin

This is just chickens coming home to roost. You sht on a region for decades....then come back and try to play victim :lol:.

What does that have to do with the average New Yorker?

It's not about rewriting history.

I know more about hip hop than everyone in this ****** thread, not one region.

Where did I learn that from? From listening and being around the music.

So how are you going to tell me what we listened to?

New York fronts on other boroughs. Queens got ******* on. Long Island and Staten don't even count. Did they sit and whine about how they were treated or did they do their own thing as motivation? Yet you dudes are telling me about something you didn't even experience first hand.

As if New Yorkers sit around thinking about Atlanta and Miami all day. Some of ya'll act like the little kid still traumatized from being picked on.

NY ****** in here trying to re-write history? :nerd: :lol:

Most of the artist themselves would tell you they fronted on the south.

As Fat Joe (an early embracer of the south) famously said in the "Make it rain" remix.....

"Why is everybody so mad at the south for? Change your style up/ Switch to Southpaw"

:smokin

This is just chickens coming home to roost. You sht on a region for decades....then come back and try to play victim :lol:.

What does that have to do with the average New Yorker?

It's not about rewriting history.

I know more about hip hop than everyone in this ****** thread, not one region.

Where did I learn that from? From listening and being around the music.

So how are you going to tell me what we listened to?

New York fronts on other boroughs. Queens got ******* on. Long Island and Staten don't even count. Did they sit and whine about how they were treated or did they do their own thing as motivation? Yet you dudes are telling me about something you didn't even experience first hand.

As if New Yorkers sit around thinking about Atlanta and Miami all day. Some of ya'll act like the little kid still traumatized from being picked on.

Well which one is it? Cause it's been sounding like neither one of these are true

Snap movement is equivalent to Ron Brownz and chicken noodle soup type sound.

They're from Harlem

and Young B was like 13 :lol:

So I hope she was rapping about that instead of having sex or selling drugs

and Ron Brownz was more like T-Pain and he was a producer. He produced Ether.

Well which one is it? Cause it's been sounding like neither one of these are true

Kid, please

I was listening to King T and DJ Quik before you were listening to rap.

Hell yeah. :lol:

I love NY rap but a lot dudes tried to knock the south whether it was the great southern rappers or the trash one's.

Why shouldn't the trash ones be knocked?

Do you see the irony in how many of you have the same attitude that you claim we have. Only you're actually saying it?

You act like dudes were telling you Scarface or TI were wack.

Do you see the irony in how many of you have the same attitude that you claim we have. Only you're actually saying it?

This is what was so confusing about the hate. _'s was just making blanket statements acting like Snap Rap esque dance songs were representative of the whole southern rap scene.

In the midst of all the "South Killed Hip Hop" ******** you had people like Killer Mike, Scarface, etc quietly putting out good ****.

_'s was directing hate at rappers when that should've been directed at the labels. The thing was A. these _'s were scared/dependent on the labels B. they're all essentially getting pushed by the same labels.

Last edited:
Magic33 Magic33 really said....."I know more about Hip Hop than everyone in this thread"

:rofl:. How in the world do you know that. It's clear as day your hip hop knowledge stops at 2005.

And you called Wayne trash in the other thread. I've met plenty my share of NYC dudes that said Jeezy, Tip, Ross etc were wack. Hell, you think Boosie is wack.

You take a very elitist and close minded approach to hip hop. It's clear as day. No, you don't know more about the entire genre of hip hop than everybody in this thread.

If you wanted to say old school hip hop, sure you got it.

But that's not ALL HIP HOP

Kid, please

I love NY rap but a lot dudes tried to knock the south whether it was the great southern rappers or the trash one's.

I never said the trash shouldn't be knocked. :lol:

Scarface and Willie D got stories about being booed in New York. 3K's speech at the source awards. Pimp C's many rants. A lot of _'s in New York knocked everybody. :lol: All of sudden we forget that? We got amnesia now.

Last edited:

Scarface and Willie D got stories about being booed in New York. 3K's speech at the source awards. Pimp C's many rants. A lot of _'s in New York knocked everybody. :lol: All of sudden we forget that? We got amnesia now.

Sht crazy.

NYC ****** re-writing rap history like the white man :lol:

Magic33 Magic33 really said....."I know more about Hip Hop than everyone in this thread"

:rofl:. How in the world do you know that. It's clear as day your hip hop knowledge stops at 2005.

And you called Wayne trash in the other thread. I've met plenty my share of NYC dudes that said Jeezy, Tip, Ross etc were wack. Hell, you think Boosie is wack.

:lol:No, you don't know more about the entire genre of hip hop than everybody in this thread.

If you wanted to say old school hip hop, sure you got it.

But that's not ALL HIP HOP

I called Wayne trash?

Quote me

Your comprehension skills seem to be lacking.

I'm elitist and close minded but you're telling someone from New York what we listen to and what we think about other regions :lol:

Again, what does that have to do with 9 million people.

Scarface also did a ton of shows in New York and sold units in New York

Are you going to leave that part out?

Sht crazy.

NYC ****** re-writing rap history like the white man
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Snap movement is equivalent to Ron Brownz and chicken noodle soup type sound.

Not true in the least bit fam, those were literally two songs that popped... outside of parties in certain parts of the city that was never a "movement" that snap music **** took a cool two years to cool out and there were A LOT of artist doing it.

This is what was so confusing about the hate. _'s was just making blanket statements acting like Snap Rap esque dance songs were representative of the whole southern rap scene.

In the midst of all the "South Killed Hip Hop" ******** you had people like Killer Mike, Scarface, etc quietly putting out good ****.

_'s was directing hate at rappers when that should've been directed at the labels. The thing was A. these _'s were scared/dependent on the labels B. they're all essentially getting pushed by the same labels.

that is the same exact narrative that's being displayed by saying NYC is dead tho :lol: . We clearly have dozens of artist making great music they aren't repped in the mainstream so therefore NYC is being judged by a few select cats who aren't representative of the city. So yeah you had Killer Mike, scarface etc etc... this wasn't the music that was being pushed through major outlets tho. It was watered down throwaway rap.

When cats were saying the south killed Hip hop it was mainly focused on the Trash. Dipset which was SHINING during that era embraced Jeezy, Tip, Wayne... Same with Hov, Same with Kiss, Same with G-Unit.

The push came from lower tier artist who actually could rap not getting play because they weren't making dance records.

my ***** you counting cats getting booed at shows and making it seem as if NYC as a whole said **** the south.... As if no ***** from NYC has ever gotten booed in another region.

For the longest of times NYC had a strangle hold on rap as far as quality of music goes. The souths music wasn't being appreciated in the mainstream like the NY rappers no. But we're not gonna act as if NYC wasn't ******* with dudes just because they were from the south. dudes is still hurt over some ****** being booed 20 years ago LET IT GO.

the bias wasn't as heavy as ya'll make it seem , or artist would have stopped ******* with NYC as a whole a long time ago. ****** were touring, doing press runs, & selling a lot of records in NYC so obviously the hate wasn't that strong.

that is the same exact narrative that's being displayed by saying NYC is dead tho :lol: .

I actually agree.

Thing is dudes insisted on using mainstream/radio etc as a metric, _'s hated but it was what it was. Now that the tables have turned all of a sudden its not a valid argument/metric to use because you see can actually see the flaws in it :lol:

Also, could just be me, but I think a lot of the current dialogue about the state of NY Hip Hop has come from from NY itself more than anywhere.

the bias wasn't as heavy as ya'll make it seem , or artist would have stopped ******* with NYC as a whole a long time ago. ****** were touring, doing press runs, & selling a lot of records in NYC so obviously the hate wasn't that strong.

I gotta disagree with this tho. The Hip Hop contingent making the criticisms and the people buying the **** up, going to shows etc aren't mutually exclusive IMO.

It's kinda like how the majority of Drake fans could care less about somebody else writing his **** while it seems like a big portion of the people who do care probably weren't the biggest Drake fans to begin with.

Last edited:
that is the same exact narrative that's being displayed by saying NYC is dead tho :lol: . We clearly have dozens of artist making great music they aren't repped in the mainstream so therefore NYC is being judged by a few select cats who aren't representative of the city. So yeah you had Killer Mike, scarface etc etc... this wasn't the music that was being pushed through major outlets tho. It was watered down throwaway rap.

When cats were saying the south killed Hip hop it was mainly focused on the Trash. Dipset which was SHINING during that era embraced Jeezy, Tip, Wayne... Same with Hov, Same with Kiss, Same with G-Unit.

The push came from lower tier artist who actually could rap not getting play because they weren't making dance records.

my ***** you counting cats getting booed at shows and making it seem as if NYC as a whole said **** the south.... As if no ***** from NYC has ever gotten booed in another region.

For the longest of times NYC had a strangle hold on rap as far as quality of music goes. The souths music wasn't being appreciated in the mainstream like the NY rappers no. But we're not gonna act as if NYC wasn't ******* with dudes just because they were from the south. dudes is still hurt over some ****** being booed 20 years ago LET IT GO.

It's funny the way they make it seem. And then display the same characteristics that they supposedly have disdain for. And are even dismissive about people telling you, naw, many of us ****** with other regions.

No self awareness at all.

I actually agree.

Thing is dudes insisted on using mainstream/radio etc as a metric, _'s hated but it was what it was. Now that the tables have turned all of a sudden its not a valid argument/metric to use because you see can actually see the flaws in it :lol:

Also, could just be me, but I think a lot of the current dialogue about the state of NY Hip Hop has come from from NY itself more than anywhere.
I gotta disagree with this tho. The Hip Hop contingent making the criticisms and the people buying the **** up, going to shows etc aren't mutually exclusive IMO.

It's kinda like how the majority of Drake fans could care less about somebody else writing his **** while it seems like a big portion of the people who do care probably weren't the biggest Drake fans to begin with.

If we're talking about this as far as when NYC was on top of rap that metric was a lot more Vital, because in that era 80% of the time if an album was selling or an artist was receiving hel of mainstream love, it was heavily due to the music being good. Nowadays except for a few, it seems like the artist who are being praised in the mainstream are FAR from making the best music overall.

I agree that in the past the NYC is dead thing was heavily started by NYC ourselves because there was a noticeable drop off, not only in sales but in actual talent and music dropping. Over the past couple of years that really isn't the heavy convo because NYC has a lot of talent on the rise, and our OG's who are active have found a way to create interest in their music.

If we're talking about this as far as when NYC was on top of rap that metric was a lot more Vital, because in that era 80% of the time if an album was selling or an artist was receiving hel of mainstream love, it was heavily due to the music being good. Nowadays except for a few, it seems like the artist who are being praised in the mainstream are FAR from making the best music overall.

I agree that in the past the NYC is dead thing was heavily started by NYC ourselves because there was a noticeable drop off, not only in sales but in actual talent and music dropping. Over the past couple of years that really isn't the heavy convo because NYC has a lot of talent on the rise, and our OG's who are active have found a way to create interest in their music.

and I don't think young kids from New York even care about New York music, because it's so accessible. They just look it as rap music, just like they would R&B or rock. Nobody cares that Mary or Mariah Carey are from New York.

Rap in general isn't as regional as it was before. It's morphing in to one thing with the internet. You can't look at a video now and tell where they're from.

I realized this when grillz became popular and you had kids from New York calling them grillz instead of fronts, because that's what they knew and what pop culture and the music taught them.

Music is different, that's why this debate is silly, because young kids don't even care. And older people 20+ should be debating good versus bad or it's influence on the youth, and not what happen to Outkast in the 90's. These kids don't even know Outkast.

You and Magic keep acting we're saying every single person in New York was trashing the south. Hell no. Of course not. Ya'll know what we're saying. There was DJ's, NY rappers, NY fans, radio stations from the early 90's - early 00's that was trashing the south. It's a fact. I'm from DC. I don't have no bias to the south or NY so I can look at this from both side. NY birthed Hip Hop so I understand the pride and the arrogance but it went a lil too far.

I don't think anybody is hurt over that ****. Not now. _'s just laugh at how the tables have turned. Just pointing out the karma that's all.

You and Magic keep acting we're saying every single person in New York was trashing the south. Hell no. Of course not. Ya'll know what we're saying. There was DJ's, NY rappers, NY fans, radio stations from the early 90's - early 00's that was trashing the south. It's a fact. I'm from DC. I don't have no bias to the south or NY so I can look at this from both side. NY birthed Hip Hop so I understand the pride and the arrogance but it went a lil too far.

I don't think anybody is hurt over that ****. Not now. _'s just laugh at how the tables have turned. Just pointing out the karma that's all.

Exactly.

This scene from "Through the fire"...personifies the NYC attitude...especially with hip hop at the time.

Kid, please

Woop dee do, so you were already 17 when Way 2 Fonky dropped, congrats

Back
Top Bottom