School Me on Car Insurance Vol. Strict Parents

Originally Posted by QueensFinest101

thinking about leasing a camaro V8 or a 370z.

insurence is going to kill. ( only 20)
more like rape you
laugh.gif

what insurance are getting if you buy either the camaro or 370z because you go with someone like State Farm or AAA
you will be paying over 1K a year even with a clean driving record. It's the simple truth
I have a 96 chevy Lumina with AAA insurance and mines is 1k a year and I have had my license since 17, im 21 with a clean record and I live in Los Angles.
Your best bet is to call different car insurance company's and get a quote for liability and full coverage. I know AAA has free quote's so just do someresearch on the car your purchasing and get a quote on how much you will need to pay for insurance. Remember when you call to get a quote there going to askyou how much of a deductable your willing to pay if you were in a accident like the minimum I beleive is $500 so keep all this in mind.

great post J Burner i'll keep that in mind. So basically its best for me to either go under his name and drive his car or get my own car with my owninsurance, right? Lets say i go under his name, approximately how much would his insurance go up annually (he pays around 1200 a year right now) ? Which wouldyou be the cheapest and best option for someone my age?

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

great post J Burner i'll keep that in mind. So basically its best for me to either go under his name and drive his car or get my own car with my own insurance, right? Lets say i go under his name, approximately how much would his insurance go up annually (he pays around 1200 a year right now) ? Which would you be the cheapest and best option for someone my age?
Well, I can't really tell you how much the price will increase, because that depends entirely on your insurance company and the kind ofliability coverage your dad has. Liability coverage is the killer, thats what is extremely expensive for young drivers. The problem people run into whenadding their kids to their insurance is that they want to lower the liability coverage for the young driver in order to get the cost down, but you can't dothat; everybody that is on the same insurance policy HAS to have the same liability limits. So if your dad adds you to his policy and lowers your liabilitycoverage in order to get the premium down, he will also be lowering HIS liability coverage.

There's really no way to tell what is going to be the cheaper option, I've seen many cases where it was actually cheaper to add the child onto theparents policy than to have the child get his or her own policy. You'll have to price it out, there's really no other way to figure it. I did aquote with Progressive yesterday for a 17 year old with a 1994 Ford F-150. I quoted zero liability coverage, and zero physical damage coverage for the car, hejust wanted the minimum requirement for the state (which in Florida is almost nothing). His premium was $3,500 a year.

Just remember, if you get your own car, it must be titled only in your name, and you should be the only person in your family that drives it. People that donot live with you are covered under your policy if you allow them to drive your car one day, its when the person lives with you and is not listed on yourpolicy that you will run into problems.

Again, insurance law differs from state to state, but these are pretty basic policy conditions and are probably very similar in most states.

Originally Posted by JordanFan04

Originally Posted by SwanginOn4z

Originally Posted by czur1127

The hood insurence is ur friend

no better way to put it. find hood insurance agency that be dirt cheap and get on. im 18 and have paid for my car insurance ever since i was 16. started off with allstate at 190/month for liability, now i pay 97/month for full coverage. had 2 wrecks in the past 2 months might i add. whip is headed to the shop soon. try to avoid those big names cause big names equal big bucks.

Where in the H did you find full coverage for that much? I pay 83 for liability/uninsured motorists with Geico.

idk the actual name of the place whom im insured with, they office is off mlk && griggs road on the southeast side. i believe that the place that i payis not actually an insurance company they just accept the payments and whatnot. when i pick my whip out the shop in a few days i will pm you the name and allthat.

Back
Top Bottom