Scientific studiy ranks the most loyal fanbases in the NFL (Warning: Jimmies will be rustled)

9ers fan in miami here. dolfans being more loyal is a joke. they're only loyal when they play the jets. when they play the pats they gush about tom brady.

Talbert

miami isn't a city known for sports loyalty....

Chiefs should be Top 10. Arrowhead atmosphere is always crazy, even when the team is buns.

Dont agree with the Pack being so low...
When the hell did the Pats get a loyal fanbase? See if they stick around after a couple down years.

No prob with SF being low, mad fans came out the woodworks in 2012... ****** that wasnt around in the Erickson/Nolan years :stoneface:

Still baffled at the Raiders being last. Should be the Dolphins followed by the Jags.

So are we just going to pretend that the Raiders didnt finish dead last in attendance in 3 of the last 4 years?

surprised at GB, DEN, and SEA so low

and SD so high...

Last edited:
The Oakland Coliseum is 1 of smallest stadiums in the NFL
You saying its a small stadium is actually a legitimate reason as to why total attendance figures could be low.  But with that in mind, it should also be one of the easiest stadiums to fill.  And thats not the case.  The Raiders are always near the bottom of % of seats filled, and were dead last in 2 of the last 4 years.

Because ticket sales is how you rank a fan base. I didn't go to 1 game last year. Going to a game is so expensive. I'd rather watch at home, which I do every Sunday

Because ticket sales is how you rank a fan base. I didn't go to 1 game last year. Going to a game is so expensive. I'd rather watch at home, which I do every Sunday
Impossible.  Every is a gross exaggeration.  The Raiders are blacked out in the bay area more often than they are televised.  I lived in the bay for most of my life.  I know. 

i would actually rather watch at home or at a bar period regardless of ticket prices. the tailgating at games is fun as hell, but watching the actual game on TV is better imo. if i could, i'd tailgate every game and bring a 55 inch tv to the tailgate to watch the game :lol:

Agree, though tailgating has lost some of the luster as well. Definitely prefer watching at home or at a buddies house than dealing with the public at an NFL game. Crowds there are an embarrassment to society for the most part (with exceptions of course)

Whether you want to admit it or not, ticket sales is a large portion of how a fan base is judged.

It's a large portion of how YOU judge it. This **** is obviously subjective, but the fact is that in this thread people from all over the country and saying the Raiders have one of the best fanbases. And this is with everyone being aware of how badly they draw to the stadium.

The Bengals ahead of the Browns?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Don't see anything funny about that. 

Quote:
Whether you want to admit it or not, ticket sales is a large portion of how a fan base is judged.
It's a large portion of how YOU judge it. This **** is obviously subjective, but the fact is that in this thread people from all over the country and saying the Raiders have one of the best fanbases. And this is with everyone being aware of how badly they draw to the stadium.
Ah the good old subjective card.  So why is anyone having this discussion then?  Why are people upset at where their team is ranked?  Its subjective right? 

And I am wondering if you or anyone else even read the article that the list was included in.  It clearly states that attendance figures are part of what into ranking each team.  And with that being said, how can you argue with the Raiders being at the bottom?

Quote:

Ah the good old subjective card.  So why is anyone having this discussion then?  Why are people upset at where their team is ranked?  Its subjective right? 

And I am wondering if you or anyone else even read the article that the list was included in.  It clearly states that attendance figures are part of what into ranking each team.  And with that being said, how can you argue with the Raiders being at the bottom?

Because the study has a bias towards teams with fans that come from more affluent backgrounds. Those who can afford to pay for seats, parking, merchandise in the stadium and food and other things are the ones driving this study. Oakland is a blue collar city surrounded by other blue collar cities, and it isn't accurate to measure "loyalty" by seeing how many people who make just enough to support themselves or their families will spend hundreds (yes, hundreds) of dollars attending multiple home games throughout the year. And given that the team has been awful for the past decade it's no wonder that people have trouble justifying that cost to watch a terrible product. And since you put so much emphasis on attendance, explain why a team like the Packers (who fit your point about selling out all the time) are in the middle of the pack?

Do you understand? So miss me with your BS about Raider fans being disloyal.

Basically the criteria of the list boils down to those who have and those who don't. To say their formula is flawed would be giving them too much credit.

Because the study has a bias towards teams with fans that come from more affluent backgrounds. Those who can afford to pay for seats, parking, merchandise in the stadium and food and other things are the ones driving this study. Oakland is a blue collar city surrounded by other blue collar cities, and it isn't accurate to measure "loyalty" by seeing how many people who make just enough to support themselves or their families will spend hundreds (yes, hundreds) of dollars attending multiple home games throughout the year. And given that the team has been awful for the past decade it's no wonder that people have trouble justifying that cost to watch a terrible product. And since you put so much emphasis on attendance, explain why a team like the Packers (who fit your point about selling out all the time) are in the middle of the pack?

Oh really?
In our series of fan base analyses across leagues, we adjust for these complicating factors using a revenue premium model of fan equity.  The key idea is that we look at team box office revenues relative to team on-field success, market population, stadium capacity, median income and other factors.  The first step in our procedure involves the creation of a statistical model that predicts box office revenue as a function of the aforementioned variables.  We then compare actual revenues to the revenues predicted by the model.  Teams with relatively stronger fan support will have revenues that exceed the predicted values, and teams that under perform have relatively less supportive fan bases. We provide more details on the method here and here.

Don't see anything funny about that. 

How long have you lived in Cincy? :lol:

Bengals fans aren't overly loyal nor should be until Mike is gone. I don't blame them one bit. Now that he seemingly does less and less it should improve but it will take time.

Oh really?

[QUOTE url="[URL]https://blogs.emory.edu/sportsmarketing/college-football/best-fans-in-college-football/[/URL]"]
In our series of fan base analyses across leagues, we adjust for these complicating factors using a revenue premium model of fan equity.  The key idea is that we look at team box office revenues relative to team on-field success, market population, stadium capacity, median income and other factors.  The first step in our procedure involves the creation of a statistical model that predicts box office revenue as a function of the aforementioned variables.  We then compare actual revenues to the revenues predicted by the model.  Teams with relatively stronger fan support will have revenues that exceed the predicted values, and teams that under perform have relatively less supportive fan bases. We provide more details on the method here and here.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was writing to. If you don't see the $ bias here then you just don't get it.

Last edited:
Quote:

Were visiting team attendance figures used?

How long have you lived in Cincy?
laugh.gif

Bengals fans aren't overly loyal nor should be until Mike is gone. I don't blame them one bit. Now that he seemingly does less and less it should improve but it will take time.
I lived there until I was 18 and went away for school. Definitely not loyal in the 90s, dark ages, but I'd say they've been pretty loyal in the Marvin days. It's not crazy to have them above the Browns. AT ALL. 

Back
Top Bottom