Self-Hating Rich Kid Goes On Shooting Rampage, NTers Write Paragraphs Arguing About It

I just watched videos of one of the victims father. Every appearance he makes, he critiques the NRA and politicians on what they need to do about gun control.

In the last video, he outright blames his son's death on the NRA and politicians, not Elliot Rodger.

I just watched videos of one of the victims father. Every appearance he makes, he critiques the NRA and politicians on what they need to do about gun control.

In the last video, he outright blames his son's death on the NRA and politicians, not Elliot Rodger.

Its a scary notion... but crazy people can buy all sorts of things. Is that an excuse to just ban anything remotely dangerous, because it could possibly be used to kill? You have to accept that in a society there are going to be malicious and unstable individuals, who can and will visit harm upon others. That is a fact of life, but we can't just give up our freedoms for the sake of increasing our safety and infinitesimal amount. It's also worth noting that in this case that the killer stabbed 3 people and used his vehicle as a weapon to injure many more.

I understand where he is coming from, since his son was shot dead. I can't blame him for wanting to take guns away as a coping mechanism to deal with the fact that his son is now gone. But there are so many guns in this country already, that more restrictions will do nothing but make it harder for law abiding citizens to obtain them. While the people most likely to use a gun for evil, the ones who have no qualms with breaking the law in the first place, will still have easy access. He is obviously upset and rightfully so. While I disagree with the illogical idea to further gun control and 2nd Amendment restrictions; I can understand why he might feel that way. It's an emotional reaction to tragedies like this, but not a logical one. I've posted a number of statistics and studies in the previous pages and they all come to the conclusion that legally accessible guns keep law abiding citizens safer than they would be without them.

Shootings like this account for a dismal percentage of gun related deaths. The vast majority of gun related crimes are perpetrated by people with an illegal firearm. Rodgers passed several background checks and a visit from police. The laws failed; he, like others got through the system, because it's inherently impossible to catch every one of these guys without an unacceptable erosion of liberty.

Instead of going after the root cause of these incidents, which is almost always mental health/inebriation, the blame is projected onto the object. It's just easier for us to blame the object, because if we blame the person, we have to acknowledge it could have been any of us. Then we have to start taking responsibility for our actions.

Its a scary notion... but crazy people can buy all sorts of things. Is that an excuse to just ban anything remotely dangerous, because it could possibly be used to kill? You have to accept that in a society there are going to be malicious and unstable individuals, who can and will visit harm upon others. That is a fact of life, but we can't just give up our freedoms for the sake of increasing our safety and infinitesimal amount. It's also worth noting that in this case that the killer stabbed 3 people and used his vehicle as a weapon to injure many more.

I understand where he is coming from, since his son was shot dead. I can't blame him for wanting to take guns away as a coping mechanism to deal with the fact that his son is now gone. But there are so many guns in this country already, that more restrictions will do nothing but make it harder for law abiding citizens to obtain them. While the people most likely to use a gun for evil, the ones who have no qualms with breaking the law in the first place, will still have easy access. He is obviously upset and rightfully so. While I disagree with the illogical idea to further gun control and 2nd Amendment restrictions; I can understand why he might feel that way. It's an emotional reaction to tragedies like this, but not a logical one. I've posted a number of statistics and studies in the previous pages and they all come to the conclusion that legally accessible guns keep law abiding citizens safer than they would be without them.

Shootings like this account for a dismal percentage of gun related deaths. The vast majority of gun related crimes are perpetrated by people with an illegal firearm. Rodgers passed several background checks and a visit from police. The laws failed; he, like others got through the system, because it's inherently impossible to catch every one of these guys without an unacceptable erosion of liberty.

Instead of going after the root cause of these incidents, which is almost always mental health/inebriation, the blame is projected onto the object. It's just easier for us to blame the object, because if we blame the person, we have to acknowledge it could have been any of us. Then we have to start taking responsibility for our actions.
100000% agree. It seems like whenever something like this happens the media focuses on the gun control issue instead of the mental illness of the person committing the murders. People start freaking out about getting guns off the street to prevent things like this from happening, but in reality a firearm was simple a weapon of choice, remove the choice of a firearm and a crazy person will just pick a different weapon. 

Couldnt have said it better.
There will aLways be people who slip through. That's inevitable with anything.

Don't care to join in on these debates. Just want to share some meaningful pictures.

A paddle out here near Isla vista to honor the victims.

View media item 997066
UCLA campus showing support.

UCSB-Memorial-at-ucla-35_mid.jpg

Pictures from the memorial held here Tuesday:

ucsb-memorial-ap_mid.jpg

calif_isla-good_52714_539_332_c1.jpg

I was laughed at and called "emo" for being extremely shook and sad about what happened in my community. Instead of fighting it I left the thread. Sadly I thought I could express my emotions with my NT fam without being ridiculed or having my manhood questioned, but I learned my lesson. I'll keep those emotions away from NT. Just wanted to show that there is a deep sense of community around here. Not everyone around here was related to or friends with the victims, but nearly everyone has been just as sad and devastated as me. The SB/Isla Vista community is very tight knit. This is a town full of mom and pop stores. A town where Target and Wal Mart have not been welcome. What does that have anything to do with this? I'll tell you. It shows that this city is all about supporting the community. Economically, emotionally, and spiritually this area is pro-local and when something like this happens it's not out of the norm to be extremely emotional especially when most days around here are sunny, happy, and full of life.

It's not expected for all people to understand, but i wasn't the only guy to be emotional about the situation. Over 10,000 showed up to the memorial and you can bet a lot of women and men were in tears.

Don't care about NT's judgment anymore. Just wanted to share with those of you who might care.

God bless.

Don't care to join in on these debates. Just want to share some meaningful pictures.

I was laughed at and called "emo" for being extremely shook and sad about what happened in my community. Instead of fighting it I left the thread. Sadly I thought I could express my emotions with my NT fam without being ridiculed or having my manhood questioned, but I learned my lesson. I'll keep those emotions away from NT. Just wanted to show that there is a deep sense of community around here. Not everyone around here was related to or friends with the victims, but nearly everyone has been just as sad and devastated as me. The SB/Isla Vista community is very tight knit. This is a town full of mom and pop stores. A town where Target and Wal Mart have not been welcome. What does that have anything to do with this? I'll tell you. It shows that this city is all about supporting the community. Economically, emotionally, and spiritually this area is pro-local and when something like this happens it's not out of the norm to be extremely emotional especially when most days around here are sunny, happy, and full of life.

It's not expected for all people to understand, but i wasn't the only guy to be emotional about the situation. Over 10,000 showed up to the memorial and you can bet a lot of women and men were in tears.

Don't care about NT's judgment anymore. Just wanted to share with those of you who might care.

God bless.
I feel you brah. I had a friend that lived 3 blocks from where it all happened. Immediately called him up when I saw the news of what happened. Events like these make you appreciate your community and life a lot more.

View media item 997066

ucsb-memorial-ap_mid.jpg

God bless.

Feel you my man. One of my best friends lives around the corner from IV, and is the main reason why I was up there so often. Was straight shook when I heard about what happened. Thankfully him and his girl are okay. Was really worried about her because she actually lives in a house with four other girls on IV.

100000% agree. It seems like whenever something like this happens the media focuses on the gun control issue instead of the mental illness of the person committing the murders. People start freaking out about getting guns off the street to prevent things like this from happening, but in reality a firearm was simple a weapon of choice, remove the choice of a firearm and a crazy person will just pick a different weapon. 
ok first, i thought we already established his "mental illness" wasnt the cause of this?

second, i don't think it could have been "any of us" because we dont all have "mental issues"

third, situations like this show why these shouldn't be thought of as two separate issues, gun control will continue to be a hotly debated topic for as long as senseless killings with guns continue

and finally, your simple solution of "picking a different weapon" is actually showing just how easy it is to pick a gun and kill.  if obtaining guns were more difficult, or impossible, situations like these may be avoided.

ok first, i thought we already established his "mental illness" wasnt the cause of this?

second, i don't think it could have been "any of us" because we dont all have "mental issues"

third, situations like this show why these shouldn't be thought of as two separate issues, gun control will continue to be a hotly debated topic for as long as senseless killings with guns continue

and finally, your simple solution of "picking a different weapon" is actually showing just how easy it is to pick a gun and kill.  if obtaining guns were more difficult, or impossible, situations like these may be avoided.

Mental illness was definitely a factor in this situation, as it is in almost every situation like it.

"Any of us" as in any stranger on the street, but to be more literal anyone can develop mental illness.

These incidents are a soapbox for gun control advocates to push their agenda. Anyone who looks into the issue will see all the evidence points toward the fact that accessible personal firearms do more to keep people safe than hurt them.

You seem to be neglecting the fact that Rodgers killed the first 3 people with a knife and used his vehicle as a weapon to injure many more.

The sheer amount of guns in existence makes it impossible to make them completley inaccessible. Making personal firearms less accessible will only create a larger and more profitable black market and tip the scales in favor of those already willing to break the law, the same people who are most likely to misuse their guns.

View media item 997066

ucsb-memorial-ap_mid.jpg

God bless.

Ignore them. They never lived in a positive and happy place like Isla Vista. As a UCSB alumni this @#$ hole Rodgers permanently tainted a place that I loved, and I'm really not the sentimental type at all.

Sick of hearing about the perpetrator. Let's recognize the victims for a moment. 

View media item 996091

The six Isla Vista massacre victims, from top left: Christopher Michaels-Martinez, Veronika Weiss, Katie Cooper, Cheng-Yuan Hong, George Chen, Weihan Wang.​

They held a vigil last night for George (bottom middle) at my old high school (I went to high school with George). Couldn't go, but wish I could've gone.

Didn't read through the thread

Who were the people that died? People he knew? Or just random people he picked out? 

Didn't read through the thread

Who were the people that died? People he knew? Or just random people he picked out? 

okay so that picture above your post, those are the 6 victims (7 victims if you count the killer bc he offed himself)

he stabbed and killed his two roommates and their one friend in their apartment. not random victims, clearly (these are the three dudes in the bottom row)
then he got in his car and drove to a big sorority house.
I guess he banged on the door and they didnt let him in
(keep in mind the point of his "day of retribution" was to go into a sorority house and ****** mow down everybody)
but while he was there he shot and killed two random girls.
heres where it gets hazy for me bc i dont know the details , but

then the kid in the top left was shot and killed (also random, this dude was just getting a sandwich at a deli)
and then im pretty sure at this point he just drove around and started sprayin shots everywhere
crashed his car. shot himself in the head.

Mental illness was definitely a factor in this situation, as it is in almost every situation like it.

"Any of us" as in any stranger on the street, but to be more literal anyone can develop mental illness.

These incidents are a soapbox for gun control advocates to push their agenda. Anyone who looks into the issue will see all the evidence points toward the fact that accessible personal firearms do more to keep people safe than hurt them.

You seem to be neglecting the fact that Rodgers killed the first 3 people with a knife and used his vehicle as a weapon to injure many more.

The sheer amount of guns in existence makes it impossible to make them completley inaccessible. Making personal firearms less accessible will only create a larger and more profitable black market and tip the scales in favor of those already willing to break the law, the same people who are most likely to misuse their guns.
mental illness could be a "factor" but he clearly was in a lucid state when he planned and acted out his manifesto

i can see where you're coming from, "anyone on the street", but to say that anyone can develop a mental illness is just wrong

the issue of guns isn't one of operating them properly, a gun doesn't decide who picks it up and uses it, which is why they are so dangerous

having a gun in your hand gives you a power to kill that no other weapon outside of a tank can provide

him suing knives/car is bad, but using those objects for murder is outside of their intended purpose, the only thing a gun can do is shoot someone

i see your point about making guns more accessible, but at the same time we outlaw a lot of things that people feel they should be able to regulate themselves

the way i see it, people that subscribe to your line of thinking are the ones that allow this kind of thing to happen

Last edited:

mental illness could be a "factor" but he clearly was in a lucid state when he planned and acted out his manifesto

i can see where you're coming from, "anyone on the street", but to say that anyone can develop a mental illness is just wrong

the issue of guns isn't one of operating them properly, a gun doesn't decide who picks it up and uses it, which is why they are so dangerous

having a gun in your hand gives you a power to kill that no other weapon outside of a tank can provide

him suing knives/car is bad, but using those objects for murder is outside of their intended purpose, the only thing a gun can do is shoot someone

i see your point about making guns more accessible, but at the same time we outlaw a lot of things that people feel they should be able to regulate themselves

the way i see it, people that subscribe to your line of thinking are the ones that allow this kind of thing to happen

Just because someone speaks clearly does not mean they are in a lucid state.

Anyone can develop mental illness though. PTSD for example is a mental illness that can effect anyone. People suffering do not have a choice in the matter.

Of course guns don't decide who picks it up and fires it. They are inanimate objects, that's exactly why we need to look further into the mental health aspect of preventing these incidents.

There are many means of killing that are just as, if not more effective at killing than guns. Timothy McVeigh killed nearly 200 and injured 500 more with fertilizer.

Guns do serve other purposed besides shooting people. They are shot for sport, used for hunting as well as self defense and a means of protecting livestock. Hell... some people even collect guns as a hobby, purely for their historical value.

You honestly blame people like me for allowing these kind of situations to happen ? Where are you going with this?

I don't understand where people who advocate gun restrictions train of thought comes from.

So are you saying criminals would follow any type of restriction or laws enacted?

Good men don't need laws to act responsibly, and bad men will find ways around them. Its a fruitless tactic.

So when unarmed victims are killed by a man with a gun we seek to create victim disarmament zones and make it harder for good people to defend themselves?

The U.S. was founded on the principle that good people have an unalienable right to defend themselves by any means necessary.

By enacting tough laws and regulations on objects and substances only creates a monopoly for criminals to use and abuse that illegal or restricted item/substance.

Have we not learned anything from alcohol prohibition and the current war on drugs?

Less freedom does not make for a moral and prosperous society.

Was just about to say this. Serial killers illustrate this point perfectly. Listen to the BTK describe his crimes. It's as if he's describing how he made his sandwich for lunch but he's talking about sexual assault and murder. He's the definition of a psychopath but speaks well and is pretty bright.

Anyone can develop mental illness though. PTSD for example is a mental illness that can effect anyone. People suffering do not have a choice in the matter.

Of course guns don't decide who picks it up and fires it. They are inanimate objects, that's exactly why we need to look further into the mental health aspect of preventing these incidents.

There are many means of killing that are just as, if not more effective at killing than guns. Timothy McVeigh killed nearly 200 and injured 500 more with fertilizer.

Guns do serve other purposed besides shooting people. They are shot for sport, used for hunting as well as self defense and a means of protecting livestock. Hell... some people even collect guns as a hobby, purely for their historical value.

You honestly blame people like me for allowing these kind of situations to happen ? Where are you going with this?

I don't understand where people who advocate gun restrictions train of thought comes from.

So are you saying criminals would follow any type of restriction or laws enacted?

Good men don't need laws to act responsibly, and bad men will find ways around them. Its a fruitless tactic.

So when unarmed victims are killed by a man with a gun we seek to create victim disarmament zones and make it harder for good people to defend themselves?

The U.S. was founded on the principle that good people have an unalienable right to defend themselves by any means necessary.

By enacting tough laws and regulations on objects and substances only creates a monopoly for criminals to use and abuse that illegal or restricted item/substance.

Have we not learned anything from alcohol prohibition and the current war on drugs?

Less freedom does not make for a moral and prosperous society.
he premeditated his attack, that means he was lucid and in full recognition of what he was doing

ptsd is not an example of someone developing a mental illness, it is a response to a traumatic, psychological event

my point about the ase of use guns wasnt to say that there are more effective means of killing a greater majority of people, but rather that a single individual with a gun in their hand thinks that they have the power to take a life with ease, the pull of a trigger.  something like oklahoma city takes planning, whereas this kid woke up one moring and started blasting.

as far as guns beings used for other purposes, surely there are ethical issues with hunting, sport, collecting and livestock which i don't agree with either and either way none of those reasons are necessary enough that guns shouldnt be regulated

i blame people like you, "gun activists", for ignoring the dangers that guns presents based on the idea of "law abiding citizens".  this kid was a "law abiding citizen", until he wasnt.  

making it an issue of "criminals" and "law-abiding citizens" access to guns is only pandering to societal fears.  the "self defense" rhetoric used to justify the proliferation of guns is simply an appeal on a personal level to security and responsibility.  the gun industry wants you to think that you are "safe" because you have gun in the house and you are doing your "duty".  

as far as criminals having a monopoly on guns, can you explain how this black market would be created and function?  

drugs and alochol are vices, and can be created by unorthodox means, but how would one go about manufacturing guns?

Last edited:

Was just about to say this. Serial killers illustrate this point perfectly. Listen to the BTK describe his crimes. It's as if he's describing how he made his sandwich for lunch but he's talking about sexual assault and murder. He's the definition of a psychopath but speaks well and is pretty bright.
you shouldnt be replying until you tell me how "environmental factors" inform you of how you view someone as a threat

you shouldnt be replying until you tell me how "environmental factors" inform you of how you view someone as a threat
You don't need a degree in astrophysics to understand why certain environments might be more threatening than others bro.

He was prescribed Risperidone which is an anti-psychotic, so how is mental illness not a factor?
Never said picking a different weapon was a solution. The point I was getting at was judging by the video the psycho posted, he clearly wanted people dead and he picked a gun to follow through with his plan. Yes one can argue that guns make it, for lack of a better word simpler to follow through with mass murders like this, but my point is he would have killed people regardless of having a gun. I agree with your point of making it harder for people like to obtain firearms to reduce shootings, but for cases like this one where psychos want to kill people by any means necessary, then we need to focus more on the person and their mental state and not the tool he decides to use to kill.

You don't need a degree in astrophysics to understand why certain environments might be more threatening than others bro.
so which environments are so threatening to you? a school building? a movie theater? a 7-11? or "the hood"?

or is it who you see at the school, at the movies, at 7-11 or "the hood" that you are really threatened by?

He was prescribed Risperidone which is an anti-psychotic, so how is mental illness not a factor?

Never said picking a different weapon was a solution. The point I was getting at was judging by the video the psycho posted, he clearly wanted people dead and he picked a gun to follow through with his plan. Yes one can argue that guns make it, for lack of a better word simpler to follow through with mass murders like this, but my point is he would have killed people regardless of having a gun. I agree with your point of making it harder for people like to obtain firearms to reduce shootings, but for cases like this one where psychos want to kill people by any means necessary, then we need to focus more on the person and their mental state and not the tool he decides to use to kill.
its not a factor because he said the reason he did this is because girls ignored him. is every person on risperidone out here wilding?

so the solution is to monitor everyones mental state 24/7 so the minute they decide to snap we'll already know about it right?  

obviously its about the person, but a person as volatile as he was with an option of a "tool" as easy and deadly as a gun to me simply means that we do something about every single person alive or we do something about the guns.

Last edited:

so which environments are so threatening to you? a school building? a movie theater? a 7-11? or "the hood"?
I'm threatened by none of the above.

I can see why someone would be threatened by any though, depending on the location.

Back
Top Bottom