Serious thread: Why are homosexuals so "Gay"?

Originally Posted by Kurt Wagner

My first reaction would be it would be genetic. I'm sure we've all met someone growing up who we knew was gay even before they did. You know what I mean, the tendencies, the mannerisms etc.

Keeping in line with scientific literature, that being gay is not a choice, I think we can all agree that being gay can be attributed to an error difference somewhere genetically. I'm not an expert, but there might be some contributing factors as to why gays "act gay".

This also brings up an interesting point as to nature vs. nurture and can lead to the sticky road of racism. "Blacks act this way because, Whites are better because, Asians are smart because etc."

Very interesting.

My first reaction would be it would be genetic. I'm sure we've all met someone growing up who we knew was gay even before they did. You know what I mean, the tendencies, the mannerisms etc.

Keeping in line with scientific literature, that being gay is not a choice, I think we can all agree that being gay can be attributed to an error difference somewhere genetically. I'm not an expert, but there might be some contributing factors as to why gays "act gay".

This also brings up an interesting point as to nature vs. nurture and can lead to the sticky road of racism. "Blacks act this way because, Whites are better because, Asians are smart because etc."

Very interesting.

Yup once again, another one of your awesome threads.

Also, acting "black" has come from the media associating ignorance with African Americans.  So now, everybody acting ignorant is acting black?

Also, acting "black" has come from the media associating ignorance with African Americans.  So now, everybody acting ignorant is acting black?

Originally Posted by HOOSIERdaddy282

[h2]
[/h2]
In conclusion:
I think it's counter productive to fit in whilst attempting to stand out. If homosexuals really want equality, it would be a lot less tension if they stopped acting gay. If you're secure in who you are, just BE that person. I look at it the same way that I look at people that act black (as previously defined) holding back the rest of us from achieving equality. 
That's what they're doing
pimp.gif

No need to rain on their parade. You said so yourself that they're happy.
Let them live OP. They aren't hurting you in any way. I think you know exactly what you're doing with this thread.
I honestly hope this thread gets locked before the insecure dark side of NT shows itself.

A story:
Maybe 8 years ago I went to Provincetown, MA to take a boat into international waters for my aunt's lesbian wedding.
This was literally the most gay place I've ever been. From what I could tell my family and I were the only straight ones in the part of town we were at
laugh.gif

Everyone was flamboyant and happy. They weren't putting on a show for anyone, they were comfortable with who they were.
You may not be able to understand it, but you don't have to.
Why do straight women act like straight women?
Why do straight men act like straight men?
Why do children act like children?
Why does a dog act like a dog?
Let them be. It's none of your concern.

[h2]
[/h2]
In conclusion:
I think it's counter productive to fit in whilst attempting to stand out. If homosexuals really want equality, it would be a lot less tension if they stopped acting gay. If you're secure in who you are, just BE that person. I look at it the same way that I look at people that act black (as previously defined) holding back the rest of us from achieving equality. 
That's what they're doing
pimp.gif

No need to rain on their parade. You said so yourself that they're happy.
Let them live OP. They aren't hurting you in any way. I think you know exactly what you're doing with this thread.
I honestly hope this thread gets locked before the insecure dark side of NT shows itself.

A story:
Maybe 8 years ago I went to Provincetown, MA to take a boat into international waters for my aunt's lesbian wedding.
This was literally the most gay place I've ever been. From what I could tell my family and I were the only straight ones in the part of town we were at
laugh.gif

Everyone was flamboyant and happy. They weren't putting on a show for anyone, they were comfortable with who they were.
You may not be able to understand it, but you don't have to.
Why do straight women act like straight women?
Why do straight men act like straight men?
Why do children act like children?
Why does a dog act like a dog?
Let them be. It's none of your concern.

Anyone interested in the topic should take the time to Google "My Princess Boy". It's a book written by a Mom about her son who was obviously gay by the age of 4.

http://www.myprincessboy.com/index.asp
Saw the special about that little guy...

While I commend the mom for being accepting, I also think gender roles - outside of sexuality -- do serve a purpose. I think letting a 4 year old decide what kind of 40 year old he wants to be, is ridiculous, gay or straight. If I have a gay son, I won't be the type of dad to disown,
30t6p3b.gif
, or treat him badly in any way, but until he's old enough to either whoop my +*! or move out, ain't no tutus being rocked under MY roof. Like who you wanna like, but look like a man doing it. That's all I'm saying. You represent no one but yourself when you're having sex. But if you go to 3rd grade wearing snow white dresses, that's on me. And I can't have that. I just can't... sorry..

Anyone interested in the topic should take the time to Google "My Princess Boy". It's a book written by a Mom about her son who was obviously gay by the age of 4.

While I commend the mom for being accepting, I also think gender roles - outside of sexuality -- do serve a purpose. I think letting a 4 year old decide what kind of 40 year old he wants to be, is ridiculous, gay or straight. If I have a gay son, I won't be the type of dad to disown,
30t6p3b.gif
, or treat him badly in any way, but until he's old enough to either whoop my +*! or move out, ain't no tutus being rocked under MY roof. Like who you wanna like, but look like a man doing it. That's all I'm saying. You represent no one but yourself when you're having sex. But if you go to 3rd grade wearing snow white dresses, that's on me. And I can't have that. I just can't... sorry..

Originally Posted by IamMD

And what have you added to this thread? Stop following me if my threads are so stupid. Duh..

Let people live. Not every gay dude is a diva type dude but even if they are doesn't bother me. Ill never knock someone for doing what makes them happy as long as its morally ok.

30t6p3b.gif
so what happens if your son is transgendered?  Will you still force him to pretend to be a boy?

30t6p3b.gif
so what happens if your son is transgendered?  Will you still force him to pretend to be a boy?

And what have you added to this thread? Stop following me if my threads are so stupid. Duh..

Let people live. Not every gay dude is a diva type dude but even if they are doesn't bother me. Ill never knock someone for doing what makes them happy as long as its morally ok.

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

You feel me?  Life is hard enough to get through.  Who am I to make it harder for the next man?  Instead of hating and discriminating let's embrace our differences.

Very interesting.
laugh.gif
Difference/ Error meant no offense to anyone
laugh.gif

I bring up the nature vs. nurture of Ethnicities against that of gays because study after study has shown that there is little to no difference in intelligence or attitudes along genetic lines in ethnicities. It is along SOCIOECONOMIC lines where differences lie in America. 

That said, with the genetic error/ difference in gays is it fair to compare Nature vs. Nurture against someone who is heterosexual? Is nature vs nurture not comparable between ethnicity and homosexuality? Are you comparing something that is intrinsically "correct" against something that is "broken"?

disclaimer: I'm not homophobic
laugh.gif

You feel me?  Life is hard enough to get through.  Who am I to make it harder for the next man?  Instead of hating and discriminating let's embrace our differences.

Very interesting.
laugh.gif
Difference/ Error meant no offense to anyone
laugh.gif

I bring up the nature vs. nurture of Ethnicities against that of gays because study after study has shown that there is little to no difference in intelligence or attitudes along genetic lines in ethnicities. It is along SOCIOECONOMIC lines where differences lie in America. 

That said, with the genetic error/ difference in gays is it fair to compare Nature vs. Nurture against someone who is heterosexual? Is nature vs nurture not comparable between ethnicity and homosexuality? Are you comparing something that is intrinsically "correct" against something that is "broken"?

disclaimer: I'm not homophobic
laugh.gif

Who's hating or discriminating?
grin.gif
We're just tryin' to understand...

grin.gif

Master Identity role

Know your center

Insert other random words I vaguely remember from Minority Group Relations lecture.

But nah for real ill ask my coworker for the inside scoop. He dresses like a normal dude but acts mad fruity yet doesnt go over the top too much. Will post later.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

grin.gif
I wasn't necessarily pointing at anyone in this thread..just speaking generally.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

grin.gif
I wasn't necessarily pointing at anyone in this thread..just speaking generally.

[h1]
[/h1]

you're asking why some are so flamboyant?  I think you answered it when you talked about all the years of them having to live in the closet

or  maybe it's clinical that they identify more with feminineness and since they aren't women they tend to exaggerate it.
if you're asking how did the term gay become synonymous with homosexual? 
I guess because it's a more of a physical descriptor of what people think homosexuality means.

I guess because you really can't tell if someone is homosexual just based on physical appearance, 

maybe its has to do society being most familiar with stereotypical versions of homosexuals (flamboyant, feminine...)

It's why you have people saying something is gay, or even that a man can't be bisexual, saying if you do sleep with women and men, well then 

you're gay not bisexual.  They're trying to apply the colloquialism "gay" instead of the correct clinical description, bisexual, as if sexuality operated on of scale or something

don't know how much sense that made, but it's how i look at it.

edit - sorry got lost in all the verbiage....

Back
Top Bottom