Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

I believe the Lakers are at 76 mil, and the threshold is 80ish. so the Lakers would have to pay ~4 mil extra at the moment, with Sasha. just something I readon another board, so I'm not 100% sure

Originally Posted by knightngale

dont compare sasha's contract to walton's

walton STILL has 5 years left (total of 6)
vujacic can be traded for a second round pick or something if he sucks next year

walton is untradeable

We can't trade Sasha for a second round pick because we're over the cap. We'd have to trade for close to equal value.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

damn for that price, the Lakers should have thrown that type of money at J.R. Smith.....

Hellllll noooo. I'd take Vujacic on my team 10 times out of 10.

ON THE VERGE: There hasn't been a whole lot of chatter about Randolph Morris since he made an appearance at the Hawks' mini-camp at Philips Arena.
But several of my spies contend that he's set to join the Hawks' roster for this upcoming season (on a two-year, minimum deal that would allow the Hawks to bolster their frontcourt rotation significantly).

ATTN: Josh Smith.

If we sign your buddy, the one you once called "the next Tim Duncan", will you re-sign, please?
ohwell.gif

[h2]NBA Files For Rights To Six OKC Nicknames[/h2]
Green_Jeff_okc_080708.jpg

Jul 26, 2008 1:42 AM EST

okc_40.gif
The NBA has filed for trademarks withthe U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to six potential nicknames for the Oklahoma City team, the Associated Press is reporting.

The nicknames include the Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind.

It was previously reported that the team will be called the Thunder, although no official announcement has been made or has been scheduled.

Via USAToday

Oklahoma City

Read the FullStory Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Sasha Stays In L.A.[/h2]
Jul 25, 2008 10:06 PM EST

lal_40.gif
Sasha Vujacic has agreed to athree-year, $15 million contract to remain with the Lakers.

"We felt Sasha made great progress in this past year, and our coach showed great confidence in playing him the second half of the season," LakersGeneral Manager Mitch Kupchak said Friday in confirming the agreement, first reported by the Riverside Press-Enterprise. "Assuming he continues to work ashard during the offseason as he has in the past, I don't see any reason that trend wouldn't continue."

ViaESPN

Los Angeles Lakers

[h2]Cavs Won't Offer More To WestThan They Did Gibson[/h2]
Jul 26, 2008 11:36 AM EST

cle_40.gif
Talks were believed to be progressingbetween Delonte West and the Cavaliers, but the team is not expected to offer more than the five-year, $20.8 million deal shooting guard Daniel Gibson signedlast week.

Because West is a restricted free agent, the Cavaliers can match any offer he receives from another NBA team.

ViaPlain-Dealer

Cleveland Cavaliers

[h2]Agent: Finley Turned Down Europe Offer[/h2]
Jul 26, 2008 11:32 AM EST

euro_40.gif
According to agent Henry Thomas,Michael Finley was not only contacted by a European team a month ago, but Finley turned down the offer.

"It's not something Michael wants to do at this point in his career," Thomas told Sporting News. "They were very interested in him, andthey were impressed with his shooting ability and his experience. But he was not interested in going abroad."

Via SportingNews

Euroleague Basketball, San Antonio Spurs

Read the FullStory Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]Top Pick Rose Chooses Adidas[/h2]
Jul 26, 2008 10:05 AM EST

chi_40.gif
First overall pick Derrick Rose haschosen a shoe contract with Adidas over Nike, according to a report by the Southtown Star

"The details are being worked out, and I'm very satisfied with the work my agent (former Bulls' guard B.J. Armstrong) has done, and I lookforward to representing Adidas," Rose said.

Adidas wasted no time bringing Rose into the fold, doing a photo shoot with him while he was in Los Angeles attending the ESPY Awards.

"I was surprised at all the work that goes into making a commercial, the amount of time and effort it takes to get that one perfect shot," Rosesaid.

Via SouthtownStar

Chicago Bulls

[h2]Olympiakos Approached Deng ForEuroleague Gig[/h2]
Jul 26, 2008 1:53 AM EST

chi_40.gif
While the Chicago Bulls continue towork with Luol Deng to keep the talented forward in red next season, it has been revealed that Greek team Olympiakos approached Deng through his agent JasonLevien to gauge the restricted free agent's interest in leaving the NBA, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.

It is believed the deal would have been much more lucrative than the one which former Hawks' forward Josh Childress signed earlier in the week.

Citing Deng's desire to remain in the NBA, Levien declined. Deng has also said he wants to remain with the Bulls, with three, four, and six year dealsbeing discussed.

Ben Gordon, the Bulls' other restricted free agent, could receive feelers from Olympiakos. The Bulls remain far apart in negotiations with Gordon'srepresentative Raymond Brothers, but Gordon did reiterate his desire to remain in Chicago on the WGN-Ch. 9 Morning News on Friday.

Via ChicagoTribune

Chicago Bulls, AtlantaHawks

[h2]Bobcats Not EntertainingSign And Trade Offers For Okafor[/h2]
Jul 26, 2008 1:38 AM EST

cha_40.gif
Despite nothing being imminent interms of an agreement, the Charlotte Bobcats remain confident that they can retain starter Emeka Okafor, the Associated Press is reporting.

Despite reports to the contrary, GM Rod Higgins also said they are not entertaining any sign and trade offers for the former second overall selection.

"As we've repeatedly stated, we want Emeka Okafor back on our basketball team," Higgins said. "We're going to continue to have thathope that we will have a resolution and go forward."

With no team having the cap space to take advantage of their restricted status, Okafor is in the same situation as Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia), Josh Smith(Atlanta), Luol Deng (Chicago), and Ben Gordon (Chicago), all of thom are restricted, without a contract, and are in the midst of drawn out negotiations.

Via SportsIllustrated

Charlotte Bobcats, Philadelphia 76ers, Atlanta Hawks, Chicago Bulls

[h2]Wade Helps USA Rout Canada[/h2]
Jul 26, 2008 1:17 AM EST

nba_40.gif
Dwyane Wade stepped into the startinglineup on Friday night and scored 20 points in his first action in more than four months, and the USA beat Canada 120-65 in the opener of its exhibitionschedule, as reported by the Associated Press.

LeBron James missed the game because of a mildly sprained right ankle, but the USA had plenty of offense without him. Carmelo Anthony and Michael Redd alsofinished with 20 points, and Kobe Bryant added 15.

ViaAP

General Basketball, Miami Heat

Read the FullStory Discuss Send Feedback

There are at least two, blockbuster sign-and-trade proposals the Hawks are chewing on regarding Smith (one from a Western Conference power and the other from an Eastern Conference big dog) that could dramatically change the landscape in Hawksville.

The "proverbial" ball appears to be clearly in the Hawks' court regarding both opportunities, and we should presume many more. Because if they are resigned to the fact that they don't intend to pay Smith a salary commensurate with what he feels he's worth, then there only recourse is to sign-and-trade him.

The leverage we all assumed the Hawks had with their own restricted free agents went up in smoke last week when Childress bounced.
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/hawks/entries/2008/07/26/switching_lanes.html

*Sigh* WHY can't the Grizzlies just go ahead and get this guy with the money they have? I guess Josh Smith isn't in our "3-year plan" tobecoming contenders. The only Western Conference powerhouse teams I could think of that may want him would be the Lakers (Odom) and Mavs (Howard). Maybe thePistons are trying to acquire him from the East in some deal.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

There are at least two, blockbuster sign-and-trade proposals the Hawks are chewing on regarding Smith (one from a Western Conference power and the other from an Eastern Conference big dog) that could dramatically change the landscape in Hawksville.

The "proverbial" ball appears to be clearly in the Hawks' court regarding both opportunities, and we should presume many more. Because if they are resigned to the fact that they don't intend to pay Smith a salary commensurate with what he feels he's worth, then there only recourse is to sign-and-trade him.

The leverage we all assumed the Hawks had with their own restricted free agents went up in smoke last week when Childress bounced.
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/hawks/entries/2008/07/26/switching_lanes.html

*Sigh* WHY can't the Grizzlies just go ahead and get this guy with the money they have? I guess Josh Smith isn't in our "3-year plan" to becoming contenders. The only Western Conference powerhouse teams I could think of that may want him would be the Lakers (Odom) and Mavs (Howard). Maybe the Pistons are trying to acquire him from the East in some deal.

laugh.gif
, I'd love to dump Howard for Smith.

*Sigh* WHY can't the Grizzlies just go ahead and get this guy with the money they have? I guess Josh Smith isn't in our "3-year plan" to becoming contenders.
They aren't trading him in a salary dump, so unless Memphis is willing to trade OJ or Rudy it's not happening whether they want it to ornot...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

*Sigh* WHY can't the Grizzlies just go ahead and get this guy with the money they have? I guess Josh Smith isn't in our "3-year plan" to becoming contenders.
They aren't trading him in a salary dump, so unless Memphis is willing to trade OJ or Rudy it's not happening whether they want it to or not...

No, I wasn't saying trade him straight just so they can get some capspace. I meant we could've at least gave him an offer sheet and force ATL toeither overpay for him or let us get him. Either way, I hope they don't get a deal done and he goes unrestricted next season. I'm pretty sure theywould want Rudy or OJ, but I know if they did try to make a S&T with ATL it wouldn't involve them. More than likely it'll involve Conley and somemore pieces. I don't see Bibby being that guy that distributes the ball well and doesn't turn it over, so Conley would be the perfect fit. I'vealready seen what Acie Law can do
laugh.gif
, so they still need a true PG for thefuture. I'm not saying that it would happen, but it'll be the most likely scenario if Memphis was involved. I just hope he gets his QO, so if we do goafter him next season we can just grab him easily. I can't wait to see what we do with that 20+mil in cap space next off-season.

I meant we could've at least gave him an offer sheet and force ATL to either overpay for him or let us get him.
Good call... Went brain dead and didn't even think about that.
laugh.gif
My bad.

Rumor: Novak to Philly for a 2nd rounder. Rockets need to clear some roster space, while Philly gets a variant Korver.

Hopefully this goes down since the Rockets already have Memphis's second rounder, their own and now hopefully the Sixers. It gives the Rockets a littlemore shells to fire come the trade deadline

This can't help but make one wonder who exactly the teams are that Sekou Smith was referring to. Could the LA Lakers be the "Western Conference powerhouse" poised to make a play for Smith?

Well, the Lakers could offer Lamar Odom to the Hawks and take back Smith and point guard Speedy Claxton, provided the deal Smith signs with Atlanta before being traded is enough to match salaries given his BYC status. The move would give the Lakers the defensive presence it lacked in the Finals against the Boston Celtics, and it would also provide the Hawks with a good player and an expiring contract in Odom valued at over $14 million.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9603

moz-screenshot-6.jpg

Detroit is almost certainly the EC team after Smith. Prince/Maxiell is the rumored offer. I don't like it. We'd be even more undersized.

The two WC teams that make sense are the ones that have already been mentioned: Dallas and LAL. I don't care for Howard or Odom.

Stop #%+@$+* around and just pay this Josh. Ownership seems determined to piss on everyone and piss away all the momentum they had from finally making theplayoffs.

Smith is not an upgrade over Odom. Smith has one of the poorest shot selections and he wouldn't help chemistry.

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

Smith is not an upgrade over Odom. Smith has one of the poorest shot selections and he wouldn't help chemistry.

Defensively he is, offensively no. Defense is what the Lakers need most. He can work on his shot selections since he's only 22 years old. When you gotPau Gasol playing as PF (after Bynum comes back) they MUST have another shot blocker/rebounder on their frontline. Taking back Speedy will definitely hurtya'll even more financially
laugh.gif
. I do think he will go to a team wherethey have a "strong" coach (Sloan, Pop, Phil) just examples because he's not that easy to coach. When you look at his stats overall, hewould've been snagged up in June easily. I think most teams concern with him is whether or not he will listen and learn.

The Denver Nuggets could be a suitor, too, as a result of the $10 million trade exception the team received in the Marcus Camby deal according to league sources. In addition to the trade exception, the Nuggets have some future first round picks to play with as well as young talent like J.R. Smith and Linas Kleiza. The Nuggets are the only team that can offer the Hawks straight cap relief. The question is whether or not the Nuggets would be willing to shell out somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-12 million for Smith, which would once again put the Nuggets deep into luxury tax territory.
I say they do it. They were in the luxury tax territory, and Camby is turning 35. Getting rid of him and replacing him withJosh Smith would be an excellent move.

Originally Posted by DMV is RNB

The Denver Nuggets could be a suitor, too, as a result of the $10 million trade exception the team received in the Marcus Camby deal according to league sources. In addition to the trade exception, the Nuggets have some future first round picks to play with as well as young talent like J.R. Smith and Linas Kleiza. The Nuggets are the only team that can offer the Hawks straight cap relief. The question is whether or not the Nuggets would be willing to shell out somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-12 million for Smith, which would once again put the Nuggets deep into luxury tax territory.
I say they do it. They were in the luxury tax territory, and Camby is turning 35. Getting rid of him and replacing him with Josh Smith would be an excellent move.
that would be great... a nucleus of anthony and smith... they should trade iverson for a young point guard or draft pick... they would be set for thefuture

I feel you. I'd rather keep Odom. Yeah, Smith is sexplosive, he's great on defense, but I think they're good as they are on Defense.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I feel you. I'd rather keep Odom. Yeah, Smith is sexplosive, he's great on defense, but I think they're good as they are on Defense.
AYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Back
Top Bottom