Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

Aldridge plays too much outside of the lane to be considered a C in my eyes.
Does it really matter where you play? I mean Lamar Odom spends a lot of him time on the perimeter yet he played PF this season...Lebron spends alot of his time basically playing pg for the Cavs. I only really watch Portland play when they play the Lakers and I've seen enough to know that Aldridgehas a nice face up game as well as a nice back to the basket game...
Sean Williams isn't close to Biedrins.
Have you even seen him play?
grin.gif
Dude is basically an athleticPF/C who can block/change shots around the basket but does not have much of an offensive game yet outside of putbacks and dunks...sound familiar? The same canbe said from most of those guys on my list....Noah, AV, etc.
You throw any of those guys on that team with the exception of Varejao and possibly Noah, they won't be as good as Biedrins does as WHAT THEY NEED out of a Center.
And we know this how? None of those dudes really need the ball to be effective...and most of them thrive off of rebounding, garbage baskets, andoccasional blocking a shot or two.

I don't think Biedrins is overpaid, he is getting paid based on his value to the Warriors...nothing wrong with that.

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Aldridge plays too much outside of the lane to be considered a C in my eyes.
Does it really matter where you play? I mean Lamar Odom spends a lot of him time on the perimeter yet he played PF this season...Lebron spends a lot of his time basically playing pg for the Cavs. I only really watch Portland play when they play the Lakers and I've seen enough to know that Aldridge has a nice face up game as well as a nice back to the basket game...
Sean Williams isn't close to Biedrins.
Have you even seen him play?
grin.gif
Dude is basically an athletic PF/C who can block/change shots around the basket but does not have much of an offensive game yet outside of putbacks and dunks...sound familiar? The same can be said from most of those guys on my list....Noah, AV, etc.
You throw any of those guys on that team with the exception of Varejao and possibly Noah, they won't be as good as Biedrins does as WHAT THEY NEED out of a Center.
And we know this how? None of those dudes really need the ball to be effective...and most of them thrive off of rebounding, garbage baskets, and occasional blocking a shot or two.

They might have shown signs of doing so, and they very well could if they were given the opportunity (that's the problem sometimes, there's justnot enough minutes for everyone to get good #'s). I'm not doubting any of them, I'm just praising Biedrins because he has been consistent with whathe's been given, as well as efficient. He only plays 27 minutes a game, and gets his nightly 10/10. None of the other guys get that in their time (althoughSean Williams hasn't been given consistent minutes). My main case for praising Biedrins is that he's been consistent, he's put up better numbersthan those mentioned other than Aldridge, he's been injury free, and he's been effective. If any of the players mentioned were swapped with Biedrins(with the exception of Aldridge) I think they would be better than they were with whichever Center plays for them right now.

you guys forget that the center position isnt as prestige as it use to be. most of the better centers in the game today are actually power forwards convertedto centers.... a pure center really isnt that important anymore...

Originally Posted by Tilt

Eddy Curry just isn't good.

laugh.gif

So true.

He's an actual C who is 25 (26 in Dec) yet he STILL wasn't even mentioned on gritty's list of centers.
laugh.gif

A team source confirmed the Pistons did approach the Atlanta Hawks weeks ago about a possible sign-and-trade deal involving restricted free agent small forward Josh Smith, but said Sunday that the two teams haven't talked in weeks. The source indicated the Hawks were asking for too much, and both sides walked away from any possible deal. Detroit Free Press

It's no secret the Detroit Pistons are among the teams watching the Josh Smith drama in Atlanta unfold with a lot of interest. But according to a league official, a published report in Atlanta that made reference to an "Eastern Conference team" having a sign-and-trade offer on the table for Smith, is not Detroit. Michigan Live

Still, multiple league sources confirmed Sunday night that despite no sign-and-trade offer on the table between the two teams, Detroit remains very interested in the 22-year-old restricted free agent. Michigan Live

Joe Dumars has spoken with about half of the teams in the NBA about possible trades, but said recently that he's not "remotely close" to completing a deal. Michigan Live

Looking to fill the void left when Josh Childress bolted for Greece, the Atlanta Hawks are close to completing a deal with free agent Maurice Evans. A person within the league, speaking on condition of anonymity because the contract had not been completed, told The Associated Press on Sunday a deal could be signed by midweek. Evans started 47 times for the Magic last season and averaged a career-high 9.3 points. He would fill the sixth-man role left by Childress, a restricted free agent who stunned the Hawks last week by signing with Greek powerhouse Olympiakos. The Hawks would be Evans' sixth team in seven NBA seasons. AP/Seattle Times

The Knicks and Nuggets are discussing a trade that would send 2006 first-round pick Renaldo Balkman to Denver for point guard Taurean Green and small forward Bobby Jones, an NBA front-office source told Newsday last night. NY Newsday

The deal was proposed late last week and is being discussed internally by both clubs, the front-office official familiar with the situation said. If the two-for-one deal goes through, it would leave the Knicks with 17 players under contract, although Green and Jones - who have non-guaranteed contracts - expect to be waived. It would get the Knicks back to the 15-player roster limit and save them Balkman's $1.32 million against the salary cap. NY Newsday

Emeka Okafor was once offered over $12 million a season. Now, according to a source I consider credible, the Bobcats offer is much closer to a $10 million-a-season average. Bottom line: If the Bobcats were in danger of over-paying Okafor at over $12 million a season, they're low-balling him now if they're offering $10 million a season. Charlotte Observer

The Warriors completed their mission of retaining their top two young players by reaching an agreement with Andris Biedrins on a six-year, $63 million deal Sunday. The Warriors had signed Monta Ellis, 22, on Thursday to a six-year, $67 million deal, and now they have come to terms with Biedrins, 22, avoiding a negotiations competition with some European clubs that showed interest in the 6-foot-11 center. San Francisco Chronicle

Biedrins flew to the Bay Area on Sunday night, according to his agent Bill Duffy, and plans to sign the contract today. "This shows the Warriors following through on their commitment to Monta and Andris," Duffy said. "Andris is absolutely thrilled." San Francisco Chronicle

The contract includes an option for Biedrins to become a free agent after five seasons if he so chooses. San Francisco Chronicle

The Warriors' salary-cap figure, according to published reports and information obtained by the Bay Area News Group, stands at around $70 million - just shy of the $71.15 million luxury-tax threshold the Warriors do not want to cross. They would have to pay a $1 penalty for every dollar they spend over that figure. San Jose Mercury News

The Warriors now have 15 players under contract, the most they can have when the season begins. Second-year point guard C.J. Watson and rookie shooting guard Anthony Morrow are on league minimum non-guaranteed contracts, which for Watson is $711,517 and for Morrow $442,114. The Warriors could waive either one and save some change or open up a roster spot - say, for instance, if they wanted to sign their lone remaining free agent from last season's roster, forward Austin Croshere. Contra Costa Times

Warriors: At this point, the starting five is expected to be Ellis and Maggette in the backcourt, Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington at small and power forward, and Biedrins at center. Turiaf, Azubuike, Wright and Williams - and maybe Randolph and Belinelli - highlight the bench. Contra Costa Times

Mavericks: Reyshawn Terry and Shan Foster - second-round picks the last two years - should be in camp, but that's no surprise. Charles Rhodes headlines the list of free agents looking to hook on come October. The rugged 6-8, 245-pound rookie forward out of Mississippi State averaged nearly 10 points and five rebounds, while shooting a robust 62 percent. Rhodes does his damage inside, much as last year's summer league find Brandon Bass. As we all know, Bass has been designated Dirk Nowitzki's backup, so making the team is no easy task for Rhodes. But coaches tend to have a hard time parting with frontcourt bangers with potential. Mavs Courtside View

James Singleton, like Green, also has a guaranteed contract for next season. Singleton, a former Clipper, was solid in Vegas before playing sparingly in Utah. McLeod also heads to training camp with a make-do contract. Mavs Courtside View

One veteran scout said Michael Beasley's defense -- which the Heat will emphasize this summer -- ''left a lot to be desired in [the Orlando summer league]. He doesn't have the mind-set for it, and he would have trouble defending small forwards.'' That's one incentive to keep Shawn Marion to play small forward next season, and there is sentiment inside the Heat to do that, though it will listen to offers. The Heat views Beasley primarily as a power forward. Miami Herald

Armani Jeans Milano upgraded the team's frontcourt with the signing of center Pape Sow, who arrives from Polish champion Prokom Trefl Sopot. Sow (208, 26) signed for the upcoming season with a team option for 2009-10. Euroleague.net

Dirk Nowitzki said he has heard from a couple of members of the Mavericks organization, though not Cuban, since he and Germany earned the Olympic berth by beating Puerto Rico last Sunday in Athens, Greece. "I understand his position, but he knows how important the Olympics are for me," Nowitzki wrote in an e-mail Sunday. "I'm very thankful that he tolerates my decision to play for my country in the summer." How important are the Olympics to Nowitzki? After the Puerto Rico game, he was too emotional to come out of the locker room for the press conferences. Dallas Morning News

Nowitzki: "I never thought I would cry because of basketball, but I could not stop the tears," he said. "All the hard work I had put into realizing my dream finally became worth it." Some Mavericks fans may not relish watching Nowitzki log floor time this summer. But perhaps they can take solace in his seemingly rejuvenated state of mind. Dallas Morning News

In Beijing, Germany will face China (and assistant Donnie Nelson) on Aug. 16 and the United States (and Mavs teammate Jason Kidd) two days later. Nowitzki said he prefers to "to enjoy this feeling" rather than look ahead, not that he has stopped thinking about the Mavericks. Dallas Morning News

Warriors rookie SF Anthony Randolph has earned raves for his summer league play from coach Don Nelson, who has called him "a star." SportingNews

San Antonio did re-sign 35-year-old F/C Kurt Thomas, but the Spurs let SG Brent Barry leave for Houston and have no plans to bring back PF Robert Horry. SportingNews

The Bulls, again, are moving cautiously with restricted free agents SF Luol Deng and SG Ben Gordon. Should G.M. John Paxson be forced to include Gordon in a sign-and-trade deal, it will no doubt be at a reduced value, which would leave him open to criticism. If Deng fails to agree to terms with the Bulls, he has indicated he will leave as a free agent next summer. That, too, would leave Paxson open to criticism. But bear in mind, Gordon turned down an extension worth $50 million last summer and Deng turned down $57 million. Both decisions were unwise, and they might be the ones who deserve criticism. SportingNews

With SF James Posey off the market, teams are lining up for SF Devean George(teams are on CRACK)!, a tough, defensive-minded player who can fill a role for a contender. Boston could replace Posey with George, who won three titles with the Lakers early this decade SportingNews

Cohen writes that when Dallas lost to New Orleans this year, "The whispers of Cuban selling the team were getting louder.'' Again, we've heard nothing of the sort. Dozens of sources, hundreds of conversations, plenty of whispers. … but never that one. (Not counting the hoots from manic fans who called for Cuban to fire himself, for Dirk to retire, and for Donnie to venture on an overseas scouting mission and never come back.) DallasBasketball

[h2]NBA SchedulerHas Extra Work This Season[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 12:33 PM EST

okc_40.gif
MattWinick is in charge of scheduling for the NBA and be starts the process for the follwing season in February.

Teams supply at least 50 to 60 available dates and it takes Winick about six months to chart out all 1,230 games.

Because of the Sonics' uncertain home base, Winick worked with two different schedules the first five months, one for Seattle andone for Oklahoma City. The uncertainty ended July 2 when team chairman Clay Bennett announced the Sonics were relocating to Oklahoma City.

The NBA schedule traditionally is announced the first week of August. Winick said he's about "three or four days behind"his usual pace.

"Oklahoma City is part of it," Winick said. "Some other arenas have been part of it. But there are a number of factors.Free agency is part of it, because it affects some television matchups we have to move around."

Via Oklahoman

Oklahoma City,General Basketball

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Dirk Cried FollowingPuerto Rico Win[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 12:23 PM EST

nba_40.gif
WhenGermany earned their Olympic berth by beating Puerto Rico last Sunday in Athens, Greece, it was one of the most emotional moments of Dirk Nowitzki'sbasketball career.

"I never thought I would cry because of basketball, but I could not stop the tears," he said. "All the hard work I hadput into realizing my dream finally became worth it."

Via Dallas Morning News

GeneralBasketball

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]Brand Likes BeingOut Of Lakers' Shadow?[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 12:20 PM EST

phi_40.gif
EltonBrand listed out some of the reasons why he decided to choose Philadelphia over remaining with the Los Angeles Clippers this summer.

"Being closer to family," said Brand. "My wife (Shahara) is from Newark, N.J. and I'm from Peekskill, N.Y.We're expecting our first child soon so it's good to have a family support group reasonably close by.

"The passion of the Philadelphia fans. That can propel you to winning. We have our own city; we're not sharing it with theLakers. Los Angeles is definitely a Lakers town, and with all their success they deserve it."

Via USA Today

Philadelphia 76ers,Los Angeles Clippers

Read the Full Story Discuss Send FeedbackBuy Tickets

[h2]Randolph ThinksHe Can Be A Point Forward[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 12:15 PM EST

gsw_40.gif
AnthonyRandolph has been impressive in the summer league and many envision him playing the point forward, which would suit him to Don Nelson's style.

"As I am getting used to this system, I think I can see myself in that way," Randolph says. "Maybe not right away. But,hopefully, down the line, I think I can be a point forward type of player."

Via Sporting News

Golden State Warriors

[h2]Interested But No Offer On Table From Detroit For Smith[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 11:45 AM EST

det_40.gif
According to a league official, a published report in Atlanta that made reference to an "Eastern Conference team" having a sign-and-tradeoffer on the table for Josh Smith, is not Detroit.

It has been more than three weeks since the two teams talked.

Still, multiple league sources confirmed Sunday night that despite no sign-and-trade offer on the table between the two teams, Detroitremains very interested in the restricted free agent.

Via MLive.com

Detroit Pistons,Atlanta Hawks

Read the Full Story Discuss SendFeedback BuyTickets

[h2]Balkman To Denver?[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 9:43 AM EST

den_40.gif
"The Knicks and Nuggets are discussing a trade that would send 2006 first-round pick Renaldo Balkman to Denver for point guard Taurean Green andsmall forward Bobby Jones, an NBA front-office source told Newsday last night," writes Ken Berger.

Green and Jones might be waived if the deal is completed.

In an attempt to cut salary, the Knicks "are known to be looking to move [Zach] Randolph's contract, and are involved inother trade discussions with several teams."

Via Newsday

Denver Nuggets,New York Knicks

[h2]J.R. Smith In OKC'sSights?[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 3:13 AM EST

okc_40.gif
Havingmissed out on C.J. Miles, could Sam Presti and Oklahoma City turn their sights to restricted Nugget J.R. Smith for help at shooting guard?

According to The Oklahoman columnist Darnell Mayberry, Oklahoma City was also interested in Tony Allen before Allen re-signed withBoston.

The Nuggets have said they will match any team's offer for Smith, but with the team already in the luxury tax they may be temptedto let Smith walk. Presti could employ a similar strategy as he did with Miles by setting the bar high and daring Denver to match.

Smith reportedly turned down a three-year, $10 million extension from Denver last fall, and because Memphis is the only other teamwith significant cap space, the Nuggets have leverage to not offer much more.

Via The Oklahoman

Oklahoma City,Denver Nuggets

[h2]Bobcats NowOffering $10M Per To Okafor?[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 12:13 PM EST

cha_40.gif
EmekaOkafor was once offered over $12 million a season. According to a credible source, the Bobcats offer is now much closer to a $10 million-a-seasonaverage.

Via Charlotte Observer

Charlotte Bobcats

Read the Full Story Discuss Send FeedbackBuy Tickets

[h2]Warriors Just Shy OfLuxury Tax?[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 12:38 PM EST

gsw_40.gif
TheWarriors' salary cap figure, according to published reports and information obtained by MediaNews, stands at around $70 million - just shy of the $71.15million luxury tax threshold the Warriors do not want to cross.

Via Contra Costa Times

Golden State Warriors

Originally Posted by knightngale

Heisley said we have a 3-year plan, so by year 2010, we would be contending for a championship

roll.gif

does biedrins have a post up or face up game? or does he just finishes plays off of passes? I don't remember him being a defensive presence

nerd.gif
What's funny?

Originally Posted by slickrick916

good young centers are a dime a dozen.

you sure buddy? I don't even think there are 10 good young centers in the league right now man.
What exactly do you mean by young? 25 and younger?

Bynum
Howard
Chandler
Aldridge
Perkins
Bogut
Horford (yes he's listed as a center)
Al Jefferson
Kaman (he's 26 tho
tired.gif
)
Noah
grin.gif

Oden (I know he hasn't played yet but still...)
Varejo
Sean Williams
I think all these guys are young and good...good centers aren't a dime a dozen but let's not act like there aren't any good young bigs out there
howard
chandler
jefferson

the only nice players from that list.

and jefferson is a pf.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by knightngale

Heisley said we have a 3-year plan, so by year 2010, we would be contending for a championship

roll.gif

does biedrins have a post up or face up game? or does he just finishes plays off of passes? I don't remember him being a defensive presence

nerd.gif
What's funny?

The contendin for a championship part

They'll be a playoff team again in 2-3 yrs but, Championship I'm not 2 sure about that, but anything could happen

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

you sure buddy? I don't even think there are 10 good young centers in the league right now man.

Bynum
Howard
Chandler
Aldridge
Perkins
Bogut
Al Jefferson
Kaman (he's 26 tho
tired.gif
)
Noah
grin.gif

Varejo
Sean Williams
I think all these guys are young and good...good centers aren't a dime a dozen but let's not act like there aren't any good young bigs out there
howard
chandler
jefferson

and jefferson is a pf.

Chandler is better than Bynum, Aldridge, Horford and Kaman? I wouldn't consider Aldridge a center either though.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Bynum
Howard
Chandler
Aldridge
Perkins
Bogut
Al Jefferson
Kaman (he's 26 tho
tired.gif
)
Noah
grin.gif

Varejo
Sean Williams
howard
chandler
jefferson

and jefferson is a pf.

Chandler is better than Bynum, Aldridge, Horford and Kaman? I wouldn't consider Aldridge a center either though.
was that question really necessary?

what? i didnt read the list the first time?

like now that you mention those players im going to say . 'ok then'.

Bynum maybe ok
Howard ok
Chandler ok sorta old though
Aldridge is not a center
Perkins
laugh.gif

Bogut ehhh ok
Horford (yes he's listed as a center) ehhh
Al Jefferson is not a center
Kaman (he's 26 tho
tired.gif
) old
Noah
grin.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
he hasn't played a single minute in the NBA
Varejo
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
(and he's not a center)
Sean Williams
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
(more of a power forward)

Howard (22), Bynum (21), and Bogut (23) are the only ones I'll agree with on your list, everyone else is either too old, not a true center, or just alaughable pick.

If the warriors just gave Biendrins or whatever 10.5mill, then Charlotte is going to have to give Okafor AT LEAST THAT.

The Biedrins deal was confirmed on KNBR radio (bay area) to be 6 years, 54 million, with a potential 9 million coming through incentives.

edit-
laugh.gif
damn franchise you beat me to it by a couple seconds
mad.gif

i like it. if he earns it, he'll earn that extra money to put him at 63 million.

Biedrins' contract is incentive based like Bogut's. Biedrins is guaranteed 54 million with 9 million in incentives. 9/year is much more reasonable.

Well the warriors made a pretty good deal for B then. I like the extra in incentives. Makes good sense.

Now where oh where will Josh Smith go. He could help put the right team over the top to a legitimate playoff team at least.

Theres a rumor going around that the Sixers signed or are going to sign Kareem Rush for the vets minimum

Originally Posted by tupac003

[h2]Randolph Thinks He Can Be A Point Forward[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 12:15 PM EST

gsw_40.gif
Anthony Randolph has been impressive in the summer league and many envision him playing the point forward, which would suit him to Don Nelson's style.

"As I am getting used to this system, I think I can see myself in that way," Randolph says. "Maybe not right away. But, hopefully, down the line, I think I can be a point forward type of player."

Via Sporting News

Golden State Warriors

[h2]I[/h2]

i blew past the warriors logo.. but i know i ain't the only one who thought the article revolved around zach randolph..
laugh.gif

[h2]More Moves Coming From Knicks?[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 4:29 PM EST

nyk_40.gif
Newsday's Ken Berger was thefirst member of the media to report that a trade sending Renaldo Balkman to the Denver Nuggets was in the works. Now that the Balkman deal is final, the papersays Donnie Walsh is working on several additional moves to reshape the Knick roster.

"I know this [Balkman trade] is nickel-and-dime," writes Alan Hahn in The Knicks Fix blog on Newsday.com, "but keep in mind this is just onedeal out of several things I'm told Donnie is trying to work on this summer. Some things work out quickly, like this deal, and the bigger contracts (i.e.:Zach Randolph) take time to make happen.

"Stay tuned . ."

ViaNewsday

New York Knicks

Read the FullStory Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets
[h2]Raptors Sign Free Agent Will Solomon[/h2]
Jul 28, 2008 5:03 PM EST

tor_40.gif
The Raptors on Monday signed freeagent guard Will Solomon who played the past two years in Istanbul, Turkey for Fenerbahce Ulker.

Solomon, 30, averaged 17.8 points, 3.2 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 1.3 steals in 13 games last season, according to an Associated Press report.

ViaAP

Toronto Raptors

[h2]Knicks Trade Balkman To Denver[/h2]
Balkman_Renaldo_nyk_070331.jpg

Jul 28, 2008 3:41 PM EST

nyk_40.gif
The New York Knickerbockers Presidentof Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh announced today that a 2010 second-round draft choice, guard Taurean Green and guard/forward Bobby Jones have beenacquired from Denver for forward Renaldo Balkman and cash considerations.

The draft pick will be the more favorable selection between the Nuggets and Clippers, resulting from a previous trade.

Balkman, 6-8, 208-pounds, averaged 3.4 points and 3.3 rebounds in 65 games for New York last season. Originally drafted by the Knicks after his juniorseason at the University of South Carolina in the first round (20th overall) of the 2006 NBA Draft, the Staten Island-native finishes his career in blue andorange having played in 133 career games, averaging 4.2 points, 3.8 rebounds and 15.2 minutes over two seasons.

Via PressRelease

New York Knicks

i was thinking Rolando Blackmon is back in the league?

well best to start unloading any hint of Isiah's "legacy"...

this dude Tauraen Green getting shipped around til he's out of the league...
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom