So I was telling my black dominican cousins that they were African....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

*waits for Ninjahood to cite Bossip to support his claims*

I'm still offended by that yahoo answers post
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

A better question would be why do dominicans empathize more with their spaniard colonizers than their hatian occupiers. The easy answer is because the island of hispanola wasnt as fruitful as other carribbean islands. So it led to a more unified existence between the spanish and their slaves due to europeans being just a bit more well off than their african slaves. Which led to a brother like relationship. The hatians were a bit more cruel with their endeavors in the DR. So i can understsnd the hatian hate.

But what i dont understand is their dislike of being referred to as black in conjunction of their other racial roots. The ignorance is baffling. They equate all black people to hatians which is ignorant and dismissive to a whole transcontinental diaspora.

So ninjahood, dont tell us black folk that we dont understand because some of us do, but the way your country treats blacks and relates to blacks in general is negative and down right insulting to us, your half brothers.

man %+@! this %$#$...im tired of defending dominicans by myself on this stupid %$#$..... our day is tomorrow, if u go to 6th ave and da first thing you think about when you walk amongst us

is "these is a bunch of black people denying their african heritage" then more power to you.

idiots on this site i swear....

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

the 1 drop rule? 
laugh.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

racial classifications are arbitrary but by many definitions of the black race, ninjahood is black
no, I mean, doesn't that only have negative history?
it does-but my point in bringing it up is that ninjahood can't claim this us and them division when he fits a lot of the criteria for the people he's tryna separate himself from-does that make sense?

Originally Posted by ninjahood

man %+@! this %$#$...im tired of defending dominicans by myself on this stupid %$#$..... our day is tomorrow, if u go to 6th ave and da first thing you think about when you walk amongst us

is "these is a bunch of black people denying their african heritage" then more power to you.

idiots on this site i swear....

Dude this is a big country. You go anywhere outside the TriState area and you're Black bottom line.

Originally Posted by enlightenedespot

A better question would be why do dominicans empathize more with their spaniard colonizers than their hatian occupiers. The easy answer is because the island of hispanola wasnt as fruitful as other carribbean islands. So it led to a more unified existence between the spanish and their slaves due to europeans being just a bit more well off than their african slaves. Which led to a brother like relationship. The hatians were a bit more cruel with their endeavors in the DR. So i can understsnd the hatian hate.

But what i dont understand is their dislike of being referred to as black in conjunction of their other racial roots. The ignorance is baffling. They equate all black people to hatians which is ignorant and dismissive to a whole transcontinental diaspora.

So ninjahood, dont tell us black folk that we dont understand because some of us do, but the way your country treats blacks and relates to blacks in general is negative and down right insulting to us, your half brothers.

ninjahood care to answer? id like to know this as well

A better question would be why do dominicans empathize more with their spaniard colonizers than their hatian occupiers. \
better question
why do blacks use the 1 drop rule if it only has negative history?

better question,

why can't people understand different cultures have different views of identity?

why wouldn't a small island want to separate itself from the rest of the world to stand out?

better question yet, where did Ninjahood say he had no black roots?

and

best question of all, OP constantly makes dumb threads,

when are you going to catch on? 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CriminalMinded

ninjahood wrote:

Dude this is a big country. You go anywhere outside the TriState area and you're Black bottom line.
so does that make it right?

and I get where some black people are coming from, but they should at least be open as to where a small island might be coming from.

one group begs for unity, another is trying to celebrate their unique culture.

I have yet to meet 1 Dominican that denies their black roots 
eyes.gif

but every island nation celebrates their cultural individuality rather than their universal genetic make up.

A better question would be why do dominicans empathize more with their spaniard colonizers than their hatian occupiers. \
better question
why do blacks use the 1 drop rule if it only has negative history?

better question,

why can't people understand different cultures have different views of identity?

why wouldn't a small island want to separate itself from the rest of the world to stand out?

better question yet, where did Ninjahood say he had no black roots?

and

best question of all, OP constantly makes dumb threads,

when are you going to catch on? 
laugh.gif

lol I think people are missing the basic point of my arguments with ninjahood-My only issue with him is the hypocrisy of labeling others black and taking himself out of that category when he clearly fits the label himself

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

Honestly ninjahood you participate in so many aspects of black american culture from your clothing to your music to your taste in women (idk if im reaching with the women part) its interesting to see you say your not african american or atleast admit that you are just as much african american as you are dominican american.I mean dont get me wrong I'm not sending shots at you nor am I agreeing with Anton.I just find it odd you can take various characterisitics of our culture to your choosing but reject the fact that you are actually apart of our culture.Then again most hispanic americans who grow up near are along with blacks are like that from what've seen.

barrett22.gif

if this was a big issue as some people wanted to make it

there would be documentation of botched Dominican records, history books (like you find in American history).

the current institutionalized racism (of Haitians) comes from the sugar trade, and that's big business and a corrupt poor nation.

the examples you use are poor uneducated people... like you wouldn't complain if/when that was done to African Americans.
yet you talk about adopting tactics of the "oppressors" 
eyes.gif

tim teufel wrote:
They flipped out on me. Why is it that people can't accept reality? They starting calling me crazy saying not to compare them to hatians. I know we are all mixed in the carribean but if u black as night u can't deny the African roots.

that is true
i ounce called this chick black and she was dominican she gave me a nasty %!+ attitude like nobody ever called you black before
but to be honest its the same as jaimacans also in some what way i do consider them as africans in a way

Originally Posted by tim teufel

I'm saying tho it's common sense. If you are an Hispanic of color you have African roots very simple. My mom is from Spain and dad is Dominican. have cousins that make flavor flave look lightskin. I just don't get why the darkest Dominicans are racist against being told they are of African decent
"africano" means u black in spanish, which goes against everything they feel like they stand for and their identify.

its not that their racist, you're literally calling something something they feel they're not. imagine someone calling u da wrong name all day, you'd get tight as hell after alwhile...besides, if someone was born

somewhere, how are you gonna tell em to disregard somewhere they know their whole life and tell em they are from a continent they have to emotional or cultural attachment to...

Caribbean folks claim their respective islands, and americans are gonna have to learn to respect how others view themselves.
no it doesn't. It means African.
However I think that Dominicans have african in their blood line, history but they are hispanic.

Why does it matter so much that they have to be called black?

I mean, even if it's true (which I don't know enough about to formulate an opinion), if they don't want to accept it, then why force it upon the Dominicans?

Let them have pride in their culture. If their culture has history from Africa, then sure, you could say they're black, but if they don't want to be called black, there's no need to push it onto them

the examples you use are poor uneducated people... like you wouldn't complain if/when that was done to African Americans.
eyes.gif
If you think Africans and Spaniards walked hand in hand in unison like some kind of rainbow coalition to the Dominican Republic then you are clearly beyond help. The French colonizers oppressed their West African slaves in Haiti in the same way that Spanish colonizers oppressed their West African slaves in the DR in the same way that western European settlers and colonizers oppressed their West African slaves in the States. The only difference is in the way in which those enslaved reacted to the culture in which they were forced to assimilate and how outnumbered or not they were by their oppressors. What mystifies me is how dudes like Ninjahood so fondly embrace Hispanic culture when 1) many who identify as Dominican and Hispanic are only minutely Hispanic and 2) many who identify as Dominican and Hispanic are only minutely Hispanic because their African ancestors were raped by Spanish men. It differs by country, certainly, but let's not pretend that the dynamic between the enslaved and those colonizing isn't a shared one in most of America (Northern, Central and South).

ninjahood care to answer? id like to know this as well

I've already asked that in a prior discussion and never got a response.
Nobody is suggesting that Dominicans reject their Latino heritage. It is not a zero sum game.
I disagree with Ninja's opinion that racism doesn't play a part in the equation.
Even more mind-boggling is NH and some other Dominicans use of the N_ word.

of course some not all dominicans have black in there blood  like sammy sosa hes black!! and any other dominican with his ex skin tone cuz he bleached himself is black dominican its sad that some dont wanna accept it im not tryin to send shots but its the truth, its like black americans,, there african american they dont go and deny and say no im not african im just american,,some dominicans are african dominicans

fixed.

no, you see that cute comment you wrote, thats you talking through da lenses of American ideology, and assuming that everyone else just falls in line with what American thinks culturally.

hispanics are black, spainard, and indian equally. so instead of tryin to chop us up by "color" we're just all Dominican and we're all Hispanics..thats it.
LOL you don't see the irony in this, my point is you can't call someone else black and take yourself out of that definition-if you're not black then the people you call black aren't either

Pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

You fall under the general hispanic diaspora but within this category are very different lineages-you're lineage can be traced back to Africa, therefore you are black amongst other things
umm because you know what account looks like in ancestry.com right?
grin.gif
laugh.gif

you dunno me from a can of paint b.

dominicans subscribe to da Hispanic culture, same wit da ricans, same wit da columbians, etc.

shoving us in a group with black folks is something we're always gonna reject.

i mean son, we speak spanish....you know there's a whole society that you aren't aware of because you cant speak da language?

The term "Hispanic" has to do with ETHNICITY not race. And to be a "DOMINICAN" has to do with the country of origin NOT RACE.  A HISPANIC CAN BE OF ANY RACE.  THERE ARE AFRICAN-DOMINICANS, just as there are CAUCASIAN- DOMINICANS.   

The majority of Dominicans are of MIXED RACE.   Some dominicans are more indigenous, some more african, some more caucasian some only african some only caucasian.   With that said, you can't bunch all Dominicans into one race or ethnicity, rather just take each person on an individual basis. THERE ARE AFRO-DOMINICANS, just as there are AFRO-CUBANS, AFRO COLOMBIANS etc.      

Redundant thread is redundant.
Tired of explaining why I'm not black but I probably will again once I'm on my laptop.

Ninjahood I'm headed to the parade tomorrow too...hit me up

Originally Posted by SaintVitus07

eyes.gif
If you think Africans and Spaniards walked hand in hand in unison like some kind of rainbow coalition to the Dominican Republic then you are clearly beyond help. The French colonizers oppressed their West African slaves in Haiti in the same way that Spanish colonizers oppressed their West African slaves in the DR in the same way that western European settlers and colonizers oppressed their West African slaves in the States. The only difference is in the way in which those enslaved reacted to the culture in which they were forced to assimilate and how outnumbered or not they were by their oppressors. What mystifies me is how dudes like Ninjahood so fondly embrace Hispanic culture when 1) many who identify as Dominican and Hispanic are only minutely Hispanic and 2) many who identify as Dominican and Hispanic are only minutely Hispanic because their African ancestors were raped by Spanish men. It differs by country, certainly, but let's not pretend that the dynamic between the enslaved and those colonizing isn't a shared one in most of America (Northern, Central and South).
I never said any of that...
it's all in history books, including Dominican history books
I'm just saying, some people come into these threads looking for "unity" by stripping a certain peoples of their culture, and ironically talking about "oppressors".

descendants of slaves using the 1 drop and 1/16th rule 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom